Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Documentaries Thread (English only)

Recently Watched the documentary on Osho on Netflix "Wild Wild Country". Liked it very much. Recommended.
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I'm a huge fan of documentaries and my favorite is www.curiositystream.com (started by Discovery Channel founder). Curiosity Stream is the Netflix of documentaries and costs just $3 per month. All documentaries on Curiosity Stream are 100% original
Is this like IMDB of documentary movies? Asking this before signing up because my expectation is only to view the movie ratings (but will download/watch where its free) & later don't want to end up disappointed.
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:08   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Is this like IMDB of documentary movies? Asking this before signing up because my expectation is only to view the movie ratings (but will download/watch where its free) & later don't want to end up disappointed.
Not aware about IMDB, but CuriosityStream has a 7 day free trial.
Old 3rd September 2019, 13:47   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Not close to the same thing, but you can go to:

www.reddit.com/r/documentaries

And see the votes / comments to help you decide.
Old 3rd September 2019, 16:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Not aware about IMDB, but CuriosityStream has a 7 day free trial.
Simple boss - www.imdb.com - Gives you all the movie reviews. Offlate very glad to see even Bollywood & Tollywood movies taking more precedence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Not close to the same thing, but you can go to:

www.reddit.com/r/documentaries

And see the votes / comments to help you decide.
Seems to be free stuff, not sure if all the videos will play completely
Old 3rd September 2019, 21:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinshark View Post
Highly recommend 'The Inside Job' about the 2008 financial crisis. It'll make you so frustrated and angry about how so many of these bankers got away with it.

https://Youtu.be/FzrBurlJUNk
On similar lines, I watched the movie 'The big short', not a documentary. You may like this as well.

Last edited by sansvk : 3rd September 2019 at 21:34.
Old 18th September 2019, 15:51   #22
BHPian

some very good documentaries on netflix:

1.Ask the Doctor - Health based doc. busts the common myths about latest trends. Can be easily put to use in your daily life. Also links the food you eat to your mood.
2.The China Hustle - How bankers used China based companies to take investors to ride post the 2008 crisis
3.The C word - A must for everyone. Talks about cancer. How lifestyle and societal changes may help beat the disease.
4. Forks over Knives - A brilliant and a must watch. I implore every BHPian to watch it with entire family. Also comes as a book and a website. But video is the easiest to watch. Links how the processed foods has led to epidemic rates of obesity and diabetes.
bmw_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 17:59   #23
BHPian

Recently watched "9/11: Control the Skies" on hotstar. It was okiesh. Not like great. One time watch.
It is about how the airport of Gander in Canada handled 200+ transatlantic flights when US air space closed off due to attacks on 9/11.

Last edited by raksrules : 18th September 2019 at 18:00.
Old 19th September 2019, 10:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
It's available on Netflix India.

6/5
The rating piqued my interest and I watched the documentary last night. Thank you for recommending it so strongly. Totally agree with your comments and ratings. Have sent a flurry of messages to all family and friends to watch the documentary this weekend.
Old 20th September 2019, 12:36   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Nagabhushan R S for sending this link in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
The booming global tire market is worth billions - but this comes at a high price, both to humans and the environment. Over 50 million car tires are sold each year in Germany alone. But where does the natural rubber for them come from?

The biggest producer of natural rubber for tires is Thailand. More than four million tonnes of rubber are harvested annually in plantations there. And demand is ever growing - because ever more tires are needed. But the labor conditions in Southeast Asia are harsh - with working days of up to 12 hours and very low wages. In addition, toxic herbicides banned in Europe are used to fight weeds on the plantations. After the harvest, the ‘white gold’ is sold to brokers, who, in turn, sell it on. German tire manufacturers, like Continental, for example, are keen to stress that they use "natural commodities conscientiously.” But many car drivers don’t give a second thought about where the rubber in their tires comes from - and why we don’t recycle used tires more effectively.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

DW Documentary gives you knowledge beyond the headlines. Watch high-class documentaries from German broadcasters and international production companies. Meet intriguing people, travel to distant lands, get a look behind the complexities of daily life and build a deeper understanding of current affairs and global events. Subscribe and explore the world around you with DW Documentary.
Old 15th October 2019, 19:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Two health related documentary recommendations from my side. Both highly recommended.

The C word (related to Cancer prevention) - Avaialable on YouTube.

That Sugar Film - Available on Netflix
I guarantee after watching this documentary, you will naturally steer away from sugar.
Old 17th October 2019, 23:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_lover View Post
some very good documentaries on netflix:

1.Ask the Doctor - Health based doc. busts the common myths about latest trends. Can be easily put to use in your daily life. Also links the food you eat to your mood.
2.The China Hustle - How bankers used China based companies to take investors to ride post the 2008 crisis
3.The C word - A must for everyone. Talks about cancer. How lifestyle and societal changes may help beat the disease.
4. Forks over Knives - A brilliant and a must watch. I implore every BHPian to watch it with entire family. Also comes as a book and a website. But video is the easiest to watch. Links how the processed foods has led to epidemic rates of obesity and diabetes.
Thanks for sharing this. I shall go over #1,2 and 3.
I have watched ForkOverKnives and its amazing!
My journey started almost a decade back when I was reading 'The China Study' later I watched Cowspiracy then ForkOverKnives, earthlings, and similar other documentaries.

Apart from ForkOverKnives, in the similar lines, I'd suggest watching following, most of them are there on Netflix.

Cowspiracy - for the sustainability oft he planet
Earthlings - more around ethical pov on animals/specism
What The Health
Rotten (2 seasons I guess)
The Milk System
The Game Changers (released a couple days back, a good one around whole food plant based approach)
Old 31st October 2019, 09:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched a documentary, "The Game Changers" on Netflix.

It really makes a very objectively derived compelling pitch why we must absolutely give ourselves a chance with the right kind of food that our bodies are designed for, a Vegetable based diet, as against a meat based diet.

I really do hope people watch it.
Old 31st October 2019, 09:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions about documentaries on Indian history?
Old 7th November 2019, 07:57   #30
BHPian

Busting tech support scammers: Undercover in India (CBC News)

Did you know about this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks