Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are you cutting the cord?
Yes 335 70.97%
No 109 23.09%
Other (please specify in your post) 28 5.93%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2019, 13:38   #31
BHPian

Re: Cutting the cord - Ditching Satellite TV

Cut the Cord almost 5 years back. TV`s lie idle at home. Used occasionally to plug chromecast and stream. Or else its mostly Youtube, Netflix, Prime etc.
Old 19th September 2019, 15:18   #32
BHPian

Yup, did it back in '15 - '16. With me travelling and wife preferring ofc over empty house, we didn't see point of renewing dth subscription. Used to download or watch online anyways.
Nowadays, Netflix, Prime, Hotstar has got almost everything between them. Watch Football and Cricket on Hotstar and Sony Liv, so not missing sports either
Old 19th September 2019, 15:27   #33
BHPian

Cut the cord back in 2015, since no one would watch TV anymore. Had bought a brand new TV earlier that year which is now sitting idle and is used rarely for streaming movies through a pendrive. Want to get rid of it since it's of no use to us, but pat comes the reply from mom: "A big TV in the living room looks nice".
Old 19th September 2019, 15:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

Have two DTH connections Tata Sky and Airtel DTH. Haven't decided whether to cut the cord. Both are alive and very seldom used everyone's glued to their phones!
Old 19th September 2019, 15:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone done any ROI Analysis on this?

With the subscription costs + Internet bills vs DTH costs?

Can you share if possible?
Old 19th September 2019, 16:18   #36
BHPian

Already cut about a year ago. All the entertainment needs are taken care of by Netflix,Hotstar,Prime Video,Airtel Xstreme. Just cast and enjoy
Old 19th September 2019, 16:31   #37
BHPian

Voted No. Can't cut the cord as the television at home is watched mostly by parents. They aren't too tech-savvy and won't be comfortable streaming content. Dad prefers watching conventional news channel debates and mom is interested in the regional soap operas. My TV is not smart. I have a chromecast which I rarely use. I prefer streaming most of the content on my desktop rather than on the television.
Old 19th September 2019, 16:41   #38
BHPian

Have been cordless for over 5 years now.
Infact bought a TV only recently. Youtube, Netflix, Hotstar and SonyLiv are the current suspects!

Wasn't sure if voting Yes would be right option, since I have already cut the cord. Voted Other. (Confused)

Last edited by JayKis : 19th September 2019 at 16:43.
Old 19th September 2019, 17:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

I do have Tata Sky but viewing is not much. I now pay only around 150-160 pm instead of 600-700 earlier. Simply cannot stand the nonsense spewed out 24 hours and prefer to watch Sanskar in morning and some low decibel news channel for 10-15 mins in the evening. Much better to invest in Netflix, and good internet (download 4K and BDRemux). It is a shame that most of the big name channels still are not 1080p. Simply inexcusable.
Old 19th September 2019, 17:12   #40
BHPian

Cut the cord 2+ years ago, haven't missed it for single day. All the content is available online and whatever's not, time is better spent offline. Would rather build a mechano or play scrabble with the kids than watch TV.

Also, the providers are getting greedier by the minute. Started with the dishes at 200 per month and it got close to 1200 per month. They need a lesson on when to stop trying to get extra milk from the cow.
Old 19th September 2019, 18:07   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I had cut the cord last year but TS gave me a package which they reneged on when the new TRAI orders made a mess of things. I am very upset and will definitely not renew when the pack expires next month. What I HATE even more are those lousy advertisement breaks, approx 15 minutes per hour of programming, which IMO are uncalled for in a pay channel.

I have subscribed to Netflix, Eros Now, HotStar, Amazon Prime among other streaming video sites and of course the pay-per-view Google Play Store. With Apple TV+ @ 99/month it's become a no brainer to cut the cord for folks with 1 or more internet connections of at least 25 Mbps.
Old 19th September 2019, 18:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

Cut the cord (DTH) around 1.5 years ago - around 400 rupees saved per month.
There's only internet connection to my TV now. I am still able to watch all channels for free. Subscribed to Amazon prime as well.

Has anyone stopped newspaper subscription as well?
Old 19th September 2019, 18:50   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Has anyone stopped newspaper subscription as well?
Haha, no chance. There's uneasiness on any morning with no time spent reading the newspaper (the physical one).
Old 19th September 2019, 19:06   #44
BHPian

I cut the cord around 5 months ago (Used a tata sky HD paying an attrocious 780/month), Picked up an Amazon firestick, installed all the apps required.
Though I was not capping my FUP, the ISP provides, found that cutting the cord made me use the internet upto the FUP cap.

Advantages I found so far.
1. Non-time tied - Watch on demand, ensures me and my wife wont fight for the same time to watch different content.
2. No ads- I pay for content and not some iditoc ads and a VJ's stupid talk.
3. Pause and resume - watch as per wish, after work, late night, or early morning.
4. Multiple devices - Single account takes care of multiple devices, and dont need to pay a penny more.
5. Weather effect. - no service disruption just by a drizzle.
6. Catch up shows - catch shows which have been aired long ago, now. or schedule time for childrens exam and catch shows later.
7. Original content - some provider's original content which are really good (international & regional).

Disadvantages:
if internet goes down...! (self explanatory)
Old 19th September 2019, 22:15   #45
BHPian

Bought an Android TV and the end to cable. Netflix and Prime doing all heavy lifting since last two years. Kids becoming content experts now.
Jio Cinema also has a TV app. Good Disney collection.

Maid was watching regional TV. Got her Smart phone + Jio SIM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks