Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Are you cutting the cord?
Yes 278 69.15%
No 97 24.13%
Other (please specify in your post) 27 6.72%
Voters: 402. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12th January 2020, 22:08   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Cutting the cord - Ditching Satellite TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I understand it is easy for people to cut the cord if their entertainment needs are being met by the various streaming services, but is cutting the cord feasible if you have older folks at home who regularly watch live tv channels, especially the paid ones like the Sun TV network?
This is the only reason I cannot think of cutting the cord despite subscribing to all the major OTT platforms. Elder parents cannot navigate online OTT services and need to be hand held whereas they are very comfortable with Tata Sky.
Except for few English news and Telugu entertainment + movie channels, we watch the rest on OTT.

One more reason, I feel that the broadband charges for other providers will start moving upwards now that Jio has begun charging for its services. If the threshold of Broadband prices vs STB pricing gets affected, I think it will make sense to continue with the set top box.
Old 18th January 2020, 18:40   #167
BHPian

After much deliberation I am cancelling Airtel digital TV subscription and ordering Amazon fire stick today. Folks here using fire stick I have some questions, appreciate some answers.
Does CNN,BBC etc have apps which can be installed on the fire stick for international news channels?
I have Nord VPN subscription, how is the VPN compatibilty on the fire stick?
Another problem would be when my parents visit me, they have to learn to navigate to watch some regional channels. I was suggested Voot, Hooq to consume regional(Kannada) contents. Is there an option to drag particuler channel/app to the home screen for quick access?

With limited search I did, I could not find answers to above hence questions. Thanks.

Last edited by BlueEyes : 18th January 2020 at 18:42.
Old 18th January 2020, 19:45   #168
BHPian

Like a lot of folk here, I ditched Tata Sky almost 3 months ago, and have been happily surviving on Amazon Prime and Hotstar Premium.

However, I'm missing Champions League football and cricket telecast on the Sony/Ten networks. How do I get those on my TV via the Fire stick??
Old 18th January 2020, 20:44   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
However, I'm missing Champions League football and cricket telecast on the Sony/Ten networks. How do I get those on my TV via the Fire stick??
After reading your query, I did a search on the fire stick & Sony Liv is available.
Download & use it.
Old 18th January 2020, 23:58   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Airtel subscriber?

If yes, you could sideload the XStream app. Postpaid connections have a free subscription. I've been using it for the football since ditching Tatasky last year.
Old 17th February 2020, 14:12   #171
Senior - BHPian

Recently, we got a Jio TV as part of our internet subsription. Must say, its a fantastic alternative to Tata Sky. The primary advantage is the better quality and no disruption during rains. As of now, there are no bundled channels, but 85% of what we watch is available either the Zee5, Hotstar or some other app.

Most of the weekends we make it a point to watch some or the other movie ad-free.

Most Viewed