Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2020, 15:27   #61

Re: Mi TV - Bought a full HD TV, but screen resolution is just 720p!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Which model is this if I may ask?
I have the Samsung 65RU7100 UHD/4K model. Bought from Croma local store and got a Samsung ENT BT Soundbar HW-R450/XL free with that for 1.07 Lakhs
Old 13th January 2020, 17:49   #62
BHPian

My 11 years old LG FHD LCD is good at playing FHD content via HDMI / DTH.

However, YouTube app on Firestick does not give me option of 1080p at all.

However, if an inbuilt OS of TV cannot stream FHD content, this is unacceptable and you should seek an explanation from the manufacturer.
Old 13th January 2020, 17:55   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
My 11 years old LG FHD LCD is good at playing FHD content via HDMI / DTH.

However, YouTube app on Firestick does not give me option of 1080p at all.

However, if an inbuilt OS of TV cannot stream FHD content, this is unacceptable and you should seek an explanation from the manufacturer.
Would you rather have an OS that does not stream data or stream at least at 720p? It uses a cheap chip - cos it is a cheap TV. Put a capable chip and they would be asking for Sony/Samsung price, not Xiaomi price.

See, you get what you pay for. You can't beat that rule.
Old 14th January 2020, 10:40   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This is a quick test to ascertain the TV's native resolution if you don't want to trust resolution checker apps or OTT apps reporting a lower resolution - Use a macro lens to shoot a closeup of the TV screen when it is on, and count the number of horizontal pixels in a centimeter (and extrapolate it to the width of the TV) to make sure that it is a 720p display indeed.

You can do it even for a mobile display with much higher DPI:
The panel maybe 1080p but the software needs to be able to handle rendering at that quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
See, you get what you pay for. You can't beat that rule.
We did not pay for 720p!
I fail to understand why you are going on and on about this.

There was no mention anywhere of the TV's capability being restricted to 720p.

Last edited by Hatari : 14th January 2020 at 10:43.
Old 14th January 2020, 15:39   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
The panel maybe 1080p but the software needs to be able to handle rendering at that quality.

We did not pay for 720p!
I fail to understand why you are going on and on about this.

There was no mention anywhere of the TV's capability being restricted to 720p.
You misunderstood. That statement meant that "you get what is worth for the money paid".

BTW, you didn't tell us what came out of the complaint you raised with the company. Did you get a replacement or a refund?
Old 14th January 2020, 20:17   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Well, I have a 32 Inch Mi TV 4A Pro in my bedroom and it has 720p resolution. But I too connect a firestick to it and it shows the same resolution as you. Even though the TV is 720p, if watching Hotstar on Firestick it shows 1080p. I even confirmed with Amazon Prime Video on firestick and it too shows 1080p. I don't use the "Smart" part of Mi Tv so cannot confirm what it shows there but will check tonight and report back.

Btw, I too love MasterChef.

Quoting my own post. So I tried running Hotstar on my MiTv with Hotstar app installed on MI TV. The "Screen Resolution" showed 720p (which is correct) while stream resolution showed 1080p.
Old 15th January 2020, 08:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Attached is the tech specifications of LG which clearly mentions APP and Video resolutions.
This is very surprising, meaning a 4K Netflix subscription is pointless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
My MI tv shows this statistics which confirms 1080p.
Yes, panel can play offline videos at 1080p, I used a Firestick to confirm.

Quote:
You misunderstood. That statement meant that "you get what is worth for the money paid".

BTW, you didn't tell us what came out of the complaint you raised with the company. Did you get a replacement or a refund?
Meaning 'worth' will remain a grey area and they are free to not deliver on specs as they see fit?
If an LG 4K TV cant play App content at 4K, your 'cheap TV' argument does not hold water.

I spoke to the engineering head from Bangalore, he said the panel is fine and offline videos will play at 1080p. I countered saying why would I buy an Android TV to play offline videos. No solution given and they have asked for time till the end of the week to get back to me.

Last edited by Hatari : 15th January 2020 at 08:19.
Old 15th January 2020, 12:58   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Meaning 'worth' will remain a grey area and they are free to not deliver on specs as they see fit?
If an LG 4K TV cant play App content at 4K, your 'cheap TV' argument does not hold water.
Any TV that goes at half the price of a mainstream TV is a cheap TV. They don't have a magic wand to reduce the cost. They cut on quality of components used. People just look at the nice silhouette and assume that they are getting the same thing as those nice high priced machines.

I bought an iFFALCON 55" 4K for less than half the price of a mainstream TV. It has a lot of drawbacks but I don't complain because I knew that I am not buying a Sony or a Samsung. Would you buy a Maruti and complain that you are not getting something similar to a Merc?
Old 15th January 2020, 13:09   #69
BHPian

Quote:
They don't have a magic wand to reduce the cost. They cut on quality of components used.
My take on lower price is that the Chinese copycats copy verbatim from the top guys, without having to spend on R & D and Marketing (which is a huge chunk of the high prices.
Bill of Material price inside a Sony is cheap, but the R&D, Top notch aftersales worldwide and other costs add up to their price.
Old 15th January 2020, 13:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any TV that goes at half the price of a mainstream TV is a cheap TV. They don't have a magic wand to reduce the cost. They cut on quality of components used. People just look at the nice silhouette and assume that they are getting the same thing as those nice high priced machines.

I bought an iFFALCON 55" 4K for less than half the price of a mainstream TV. It has a lot of drawbacks but I don't complain because I knew that I am not buying a Sony or a Samsung. Would you buy a Maruti and complain that you are not getting something similar to a Merc?
Failing to get this across to you it seems, I am not debating on quality/components, which everyone is aware. No matter the cost benefit, SPECIFICATIONS stated must be delivered.
Quality is subjective. Specifications are not. 1080p vs 720p is not subjective.

Are you saying you would not complain if all the iFFALCON 55" 4K it could play was 720p?
Old 15th January 2020, 15:04   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Failing to get this across to you it seems, I am not debating on quality/components, which everyone is aware. No matter the cost benefit, SPECIFICATIONS stated must be delivered.
Quality is subjective. Specifications are not. 1080p vs 720p is not subjective.

Are you saying you would not complain if all the iFFALCON 55" 4K it could play was 720p?
They promised you a 1080p panel and they have delivered. You have an app in it that utilizes only 720p. That does not mean that they sold you a 720p TV.

Just look at the title of the thread - "Bought a full HD TV, but screen resolution is just 720p!". Maybe you need to read up a bit and understand what pixels and resolution mean. In this age of information everything is available at a click. But what is happening is, people refusing to do their homework and blaming others for their own folly.

Last edited by civic-sense : 15th January 2020 at 15:19.
Old 15th January 2020, 17:15   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They promised you a 1080p panel and they have delivered. You have an app in it that utilizes only 720p. That does not mean that they sold you a 720p TV.

Just look at the title of the thread - "Bought a full HD TV, but screen resolution is just 720p!". Maybe you need to read up a bit and understand what pixels and resolution mean. In this age of information everything is available at a click. But what is happening is, people refusing to do their homework and blaming others for their own folly.
Why are you refusing to answer my questions.
Mi engineers themselves have admitted there is a valid reason behind my complaint, and will get back to me, but you are something else.

"For their own folly". Really? Go be a troll somewhere else.

Last edited by Hatari : 15th January 2020 at 17:27.
Old 16th January 2020, 00:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:

I bought an iFFALCON 55" 4K for less than half the price of a mainstream TV. It has a lot of drawbacks but I don't complain because I knew that I am not buying a Sony or a Samsung.
Cheap does not mean bad always. The branded price tags also contain the cost of aggressive ad campaigns. paying a premium to bolly holly stars, airtime of TVC, etc.

9 years ago I had bought a flagship phone by Samsung (Galaxy S). In a year it started throwing tantrums. Bought Micromax A16HD in 2012 at half price and double RAM and it was amazing.

I do have iFFALCON 55" too and have Samsung Frame QLED too. Except for brightness (its QLED because), there is not much difference.

I have a boat Bluetooth speaker and it sounds better than my Philips BT speaker.

I think the point here is that TV must stream FHD if it's FHD TV.
Old 16th January 2020, 02:10   #74
BHPian

Quote:
This is very surprising, meaning a 4K Netflix subscription is pointless!

Maybe you didn't see my reply, but since you have mentioned LG, well mine plays 4K HDR contents on Netflix, on YouTube and through external sources as well. It can even play a large UHD movie which is 40GB in size.

As others have correctly mentioned that Mi TV might not have the hardware to play FHD content since it has only 1GB of RAM and a not so good processor (from what flipkart spec sheet mentions), though it's a FHD LED TV.

The highest resolution of the display panel might indeed be 1080p, but since the hardware isn't powerful enough it scales down the resolution to 720p. Mi has played it dirty no doubt but they have sold you a FHD LED TV. Now, you can either crib about it or get an android TV box which is powerful enough to play FHD or 4K content on your TV.
Old 16th January 2020, 11:39   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Why are you refusing to answer my questions.
For the price I paid, I am okay with reasonable compromises. I am fine if some app in it plays at 1080p, for 4K I have my Chromecast Ultra. For 30K, I wouldn't insist it does all the things a 1L Sony does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicor View Post
Cheap does not mean bad always.
I didn't say bad. It's all relative.
Quote:
The branded price tags also contain the cost of aggressive ad campaigns. paying a premium to bolly holly stars, airtime of TVC, etc.
Yes. "also".
Quote:
I do have iFFALCON 55" too and have Samsung Frame QLED too. Except for brightness (its QLED because), there is not much difference.
Cost of quality increases exponentially as you go up.
Quote:
I have a boat Bluetooth speaker and it sounds better than my Philips BT speaker.
Quote:
I think the point here is that TV must stream FHD if it's FHD TV.
No law governing that. All that matters is whether a customer needs that or not. And for customers there is a thing called choice. Choose another TV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks