Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2019, 14:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mi TV - Bought a full HD TV, but screen resolution is just 720p!

Recently bought the Mi 4A Pro 43" Full HD LED TV as a 2nd TV.

I so happen to check the resolution of the content playing on Hotstar. While the video content showed 1080p feed. The screen resolution remained at 720p!

I even downloaded resolution app to check called "Wear ScreenInfo" on the Mi playstore which confirmed the 720p screen!

Mi helpline, chats etc have no answer.

Shocking how Mi can do this! Pl check your own TVs..
Attached Thumbnails
Mi TV - Bought a full HD TV, but screen resolution is just 720p!-screenshotscreen_res_test.jpg  

Mi TV - Bought a full HD TV, but screen resolution is just 720p!-screenshot.jpg  

Old 30th December 2019, 15:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mi TV - Bought a full HD TV, but screen resolution is just 720p!

I suggest you run the test by using some external full HD content played through HDMi and not some app. Some reviews suggest that the firmware locks the OSD screen resolution to 720 when using an app for this model.

Please check and report so that we can clear the air around it.
Old 30th December 2019, 15:11   #3
BHPian

This is a well known issue and the solution is as per below

Yes, that's true. The OS in the TV is locked to 1280x720 and there is a reason for that. The processor onboard the TV is not powerful enough to run fluidly on 1920x1080. I was too frustrated initially by this letdown. But I anyway went ahead and forced my TV to run on 1920x1080. Things don't run super smooth on Full HD but yes it may be worth the switch for many people. You can follow the steps below to force your Mi TV Pro to 1920x1080 (Full HD).

1) Go to settings-about. Scroll to last and hit 'Build' multiple times to enable Developer options.
2) Go to settings-Developer options. Enable 'MiTV Adb Debugging'. Your TV will restart and that is normal.
3) Grab a PC/Mac/Linux with Android Debug tools like 'adb' installed.
4) Connect adb to your Mi TV using: 'adb connect YOUR Mi TV IP ADDRESS'
5) Then give the next command 'adb shell wm size 1920x1080'
6) Wait a few seconds and your screen resolution will change but this will also make everything small on the screen.
7) To fix this, you need to change the DPI. Do that by using the command 'adb shell wm density 300'. You can use any density you like. The bigger the number you choose, the bigger things will get on the screen.

Source here
Old 30th December 2019, 15:13   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

We have a Sony and a Panasonic LED TV, both 32". My Uncle purchased a 50" Mi TV in October. Last week I saw a movie on it, source Tata Sky. But the screen resolution felt worse than our Sony or even Panasonic in HD channels. Now with the OP pointing this, I'll be checking it on Sunday. If found to be 720p, it means they're indeed cheating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitishk View Post
Thanks for pointing this. I wonder how many people will be able to do this.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 30th December 2019 at 15:17. Reason: Quoting nitishk
Old 30th December 2019, 15:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I suggest you run the test by using some external full HD content played through HDMi and not some app. Some reviews suggest that the firmware locks the OSD screen resolution to 720 when using an app for this model.

Please check and report so that we can clear the air around it.
How else can I test? Do you mean through a Firestick? isnt the purpose lost? why buy a Smart TV?
Tested live with Hotstar - FAILED.
Tested with app - FAILED

If it is locked to 720p means it cant play 1080p! then why advertise as 1080p. If a smart TV cannot play full HD content then it is cheating us by calling it a smart TV! I would not have bought it just to play 720p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitishk View Post

Yes, that's true. The OS in the TV is locked to 1280x720 and there is a reason for that. The processor onboard the TV is not powerful enough to run fluidly on 1920x1080.

Source here
Thanks for sharing. But I have no intention of forcing anything. If it cant play 1080p straight out of the box then it is a clear case of cheating customers.
They should advertise as 720p only.

Last edited by Hatari : 30th December 2019 at 15:26.
Old 30th December 2019, 15:59   #6
BHPian

This happened with a TCL tv my dad bought from Alfa. Against my advice of getting a Sony which would have cost 50+ for a 1080p the seller and price of 30k convinced him. This was more than a year back. I only got to visit and check the TV last week and it runs everything at 720p. This was supposed to be a 1080p tv iirc.
Old 30th December 2019, 16:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
How else can I test?
You can try connecting the TV to a laptop/desktop with HDMI cable & then check the resolution reported in the laptop/desktop.
That would be pretty accurate IMO.
Old 30th December 2019, 16:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
You can try connecting the TV to a laptop/desktop with HDMI cable & then check the resolution reported in the laptop/desktop.
That would be pretty accurate IMO.
The app I used is correct. It displayed 1080p when I used it on my phone.
Old 30th December 2019, 17:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The app I used is correct. It displayed 1080p when I used it on my phone.
The TV can run at a lower resolution than what it is capable of. What the app seems to be reporting is the resolution currently set, not what the TV is capable of.

To check what the TV is actually capable of, please use the method suggested by pkulkarni.2106.
Old 30th December 2019, 17:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

There's 2 possibilities that could cause hotstar to run at 720p.

1. The TV does not support 1080p streaming via inbuilt option as the graphics can't process it. Only way to confirm is to play 1080p content through the HDMI port and see the resolution.

2. The TV supports it but the hotstar app is only licensed to 720p. This is common for cheaper phones and TV. Hotstar/Netflix needs DRM license for enabling full resolution.
Old 30th December 2019, 19:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:

If it is locked to 720p means it cant play 1080p! then why advertise as 1080p. If a smart TV cannot play full HD content then it is cheating us by calling it a smart TV! I would not have bought it just to play 720p.

Thanks for sharing. But I have no intention of forcing anything. If it cant play 1080p straight out of the box then it is a clear case of cheating customers.
They should advertise as 720p only.
You seem to misunderstand. What is locked in 720p is the On-Screen Display - like settings, volume display, etc. The TV need not display, for eg., your volume settings in full HD. It's not needed and they're downsizing it to save CPU usage.

You should be worried if your TV is not playing 1080p videos which is not true I guess. You can test it by playing a 1080p video from USB. I have a HD Ready 32" TV which means it can't play Full HD videos. It doesn't play 1080p videos from USB. So if your TV plays Full HD videos you can stop worrying.
Old 30th December 2019, 20:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
I have a HD Ready 32" TV which means it can't play Full HD videos. It doesn't play 1080p videos from USB. So if your TV plays Full HD videos you can stop worrying.
HD ready TVs can play and process 1080p videos in 720p resolution. OP is concerned that the 1080p videos being played at 720p resolution in his device.
Old 30th December 2019, 20:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

OFF-TOPIC but worth

I had bought a SONY W75D (49') in 2016 for sweet 78K. Even after my protests, they gave a BLURAY player with TV, which I have never ever used.

Come 2019 November, me & my 8M daughter managed to break the screen. We reported the damage to SONY, who appointed a local service centre.

The SC guy checked the panel damage & then opened up the backside which consisted of:
> Two boxes containing speakers with their own card sized PCB's
> Main PCB (on which all HDMI, OPTICAL & USB) ports are mounted &
> One thumb size PCB for WiFi
All above are neatly packed in a single plastic case and mounted using nine screws, behind the main panel.

After checking some serial numbers, he called SONY's PART section and queried about availability of W75D 49' panel & the cost. Meanwhile, I was contemplating that if the panel cost is anywhere closer to 40K, I will junk this TV & buy a new one.
Surprise, surprise the centre guy tells me that the complete NEW panel will cost 24K (all inclusive). Then I asked him to check the cost of all the items in the back panel. Lo, behold, it costs 8500/-.

So in true sense, I paid 78K for a TV which is actually 32,500/- in PARTS

Regards-Sonu
Old 30th December 2019, 21:38   #14
BHPian

4 years back I purchased 40 inch Philips Smart TV with Android OS. Upon bringing home I realised it is Full HD only on HDMI, otherwise it is 720p. Fortunately in Germany you can return things within 15 days. I replaced it with Sony 43 inch Smart TV which is full HD for Android as well. Though I am not happy with OS performance but it is adequate.
Old 31st December 2019, 15:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mi TV - Bought a full HD TV, but screen resolution is just 720p!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The TV can run at a lower resolution than what it is capable of. What the app seems to be reporting is the resolution currently set, not what the TV is capable of.

To check what the TV is actually capable of, please use the method suggested by pkulkarni.2106.
The TV has no option of changing resolution. If it was capable of running at 1080p, no reason why it shouldnt. I may have tested this if the TV was not a smart TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
There's 2 possibilities that could cause hotstar to run at 720p.

1. The TV does not support 1080p streaming via inbuilt option as the graphics can't process it. Only way to confirm is to play 1080p content through the HDMI port and see the resolution.

2. The TV supports it but the hotstar app is only licensed to 720p. This is common for cheaper phones and TV. Hotstar/Netflix needs DRM license for enabling full resolution.
1 . I bought the Smart TV to run apps like Netflix, Prime & Hotstar. Doesnt solve my purpose even if it does play 1080p through a USB.

2. I use the same Hotstar login on my 10 year old Samsung LCD (via a Firestick) and it played at 1080p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beast_within View Post
HD ready TVs can play and process 1080p videos in 720p resolution. OP is concerned that the 1080p videos being played at 720p resolution in his device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
You seem to misunderstand. What is locked in 720p is the On-Screen Display - like settings, volume display, etc. The TV need not display, for eg., your volume settings in full HD. It's not needed and they're downsizing it to save CPU usage.

You should be worried if your TV is not playing 1080p videos which is not true I guess. You can test it by playing a 1080p video from USB. I have a HD Ready 32" TV which means it can't play Full HD videos. It doesn't play 1080p videos from USB. So if your TV plays Full HD videos you can stop worrying.
Dont want to get into reasons. A 1080p test from a USB device defeats the purpose of a smart TV. I bought it to play 1080p from the apps it supports (have not side loaded them)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks