Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2020, 14:03   #3361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

For those starting to worry after reading about the re-infection case, some context:

https://twitter.com/FaheemYounus/sta...97174248951809
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 15:49   #3362
Distinguished - BHPian

Tested positive for Covid-19 today

I experienced mild cough and weakness , no fever at all. I decided to get myself tested for Covid-19 and RT-PCR turned out to be positive, got the result within 24 hours. I didn't opt for Rapid antigen test as it's not very accurate when compared to RT-PCR.

It's day 4 since the onset of symptoms, doing well otherwise. SPO2 is 98 % and I am afebrile. I will be under home quarantine.

There's absolutely no need to panic, just be alert and take care of yourself. I am sure the body will defeat the virus soon

Cheers!!
Dr.Naren is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 25th August 2020, 22:05   #3363
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Thyrocare diagnostics MD puts up pincodes/city/state wise antibody test data of around 257,000 antibody tests done at their centers.

Attachment 2047345

Source : [Pin Codes] [Cities] [States]
I looked at the Twitter source but cant figure out why they have marked some pin codes in blue. Are these high risk zones, it's not on percentage basis because even low percentage ones are marked blue.
Old 25th August 2020, 22:53   #3364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The quarantine centres are really bad and people are thrown food and bad tasting supplements on their plates.
I interacted with a few people who went to government camps here because they couldn't afford private care. They mostly seem happy with the facilities,care and food in general, the main problem at some camps being the scarcity of western toilets. A couple of chaps have finished their treatment and returned home. One particular chap currently in one such camp said food is good, they are given food from Sangeetha Hotels. He is due for discharge in another week, but three of his sisters also tested positive subsequently and got admitted at the same facility a few days after him. Seems he requested to extend his stay for a few days till his sisters too are discharged, and the camp in charge has said he could stay provided he pays for those extra days. No idea as to how much he has to pay as of now.

Most of these camps are located in colleges, and people with no or mild symptoms are sent there. They get a choice of where to go, and are accommodated subject to vacancy.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 06:48   #3365
Senior - BHPian

I am hearing that in Hyderabad some hospitals are not giving bills for the patients admitted into Carona care wards. So patients cannot actually claim anything from insurance.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 07:52   #3366
Distinguished - BHPian

I had to visit Electronics City RTO, Bangalore for Address Change in the RC. As I entered the compound I noticed there was a shelter set-up with a really long queue. I asked one of them in the queue as to what was this for and he replied "For Learner's Licence".

I again enquired him if this queue wasn't applicable for other services and he said no. So I walked up the stairs to the building's entry gate and the guard there stopped me and another gentleman and told us "Get the test done and come". At the same time there was another gentleman who came with a slip of this "test", showed it to the guard and he was let in.

So I walked down till the end of the queue thinking I my turn would come in another 15-20 minutes.

The Coronavirus Thread-img_20200825_114203.jpg

This was the set-up and slowly I realised this didn't look like temperature screening as there were 2 people with PPEs and then there was a lot of paper work that took time. I simply walked out after this, met a friend at an FNG and handed over the documents to an agent and paid him his "fees" for the job. There was simply no point in standing there in that queue remaining exposed to anyone infected.

Everyone was standing next to each other without social distancing and for at least 30 minutes or longer before their turn came up. One could contact with the virus here by merely standing in the queue for such long remaining within exposure limits of a positive case next to you!

Seemed to me that this was rapid testing that was in progress and not just temperature screening going by the super slow pace at which the queue moved.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 10:46   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
I looked at the Twitter source but cant figure out why they have marked some pin codes in blue.
Not sure why some pin codes are in blue. It could be some internal Thyrocare coding, which they didn't remove before publishing externally.
Old 26th August 2020, 14:55   #3368
BHPian

I have been following this UK doctor Dr. John Campbell's YouTube channel since March. (I think he was recommended in this thread only initially )

He has been a sober, unbiased, scientific (often pedantic ) source of Covid coverage.

A couple of videos on recent trends:

The first 10 minutes is enough as he explains how and why hospitalizations and death rates from Covid have plummeted worldwide, even though number of cases have increased.

Around minute 8.45 he explains why mutations of any virus leads to less dangerous virus strains and why you need not worry about mutations.

---

;

Watch the first 8 minutes or so, where he summarizes recent findings, on herd immunity (how close it is..), T-cell immunity etc.
DigitalOne is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 23:15   #3369
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the experts' view on the $5, 15 mins results time Abbot test for the virus?

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...ott-cheap-fast
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 11:36   #3370
Senior - BHPian

The thread is absolutely silent on a major COVID related event happening currently. The student upheaval on the conduct of JEE/NEET exams. It is baffling to see the disconnect. The students are willing to sacrifice one academic year for fear of catching the virus. This reaction from the most healthy segment of the population. What are they going to achieve by losing one academic year? Are they ready to compete with next year students? Will there be no 2020 batch of professionals which can be disastrous as well?

I think vast segment of population are getting used to life in lock down and dont want to go back to normal life. This has created change in behavioral pattern of individuals.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 11:44   #3371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
...The student upheaval on the conduct of JEE/NEET exams..
I think this is a useless brouhaha. Students who want to skip the exam can do so without forcing everyone else to follow the same. But those who do not want to waste a year should be allowed to take up the exams. At the end of the day, those who skip will have the exact same situation as if the exam got delayed to next year.

Like any normal year, even in 2020, taking up a competitive exam should boil down to only one thing: choice.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 11:51   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
The thread is absolutely silent on a major COVID related event happening currently. The student upheaval on the conduct of JEE/NEET exams. It is baffling to see the disconnect. The students are willing to sacrifice one academic year for fear of catching the virus. This reaction from the most healthy segment of the population. What are they going to achieve by losing one academic year? Are they ready to compete with next year students? Will there be no 2020 batch of professionals which can be disastrous as well?
They still think 'stay home, stay safe'. The virus is absolutely everywhere all over the globe. Pack your bags and migrate to another planet if you want to feel 100% safe.

There is absolutely no guarantee or assurance or even a hint that the situation will be any different next year (maybe even the year after that) when their exams come around.
Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 12:03   #3373
BHPian

With over 75k cases globally, India now leads the world in the case growth. Economy destroyed, people beaten up brutally in the first 2 months of the lockdown, the entire unorganized sector migrant workforce brought to their knees. And yet the government failed so dramatically. The irony is that many equally populstion dense countries are faring better with more resource limitations.
Cessna182 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 13:05   #3374
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:

Today is day 7 since the onset of my first symptom. I am still under Home quarantine and would be out on 8th September. Our flat has been sealed down and declared as containment zone.

I am doing fine but I have experienced few rare signs like heart rate variability ( 85 to 150 bpm ). I did have few episodes of diarrhoea too. Good thing is I don't have fever or breathlessness.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 28th August 2020 at 13:06.
Dr.Naren is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 13:53   #3375
BHPian

Quote:
The thread is absolutely silent on a major COVID related event happening currently. The student upheaval on the conduct of JEE/NEET exams. It is baffling to see the disconnect.
Covid is one of the reasons because of which many students want postponement, which I agree with you, is a very lame excuse.
Many parts of the country are severely affected by floods. Students also claim that they have been allocated centres hundreds of kilometres away and public transport is not operational in their states. Number of centres have also reduced in some states. Moreover due to the monsoons, roads in major cities get waterlogged only after few hours of rain which can lead to students get stuck and they might not be able to reach their respective centres on time. A few days back, in an unfortunate incident, a father and son went missing and feared dead due to floods, on their way to an exam centre in Gujarat.
I can't understand one thing if authorities have postponed exams for 4 months already, how will one more month of postponement (when the flood situation will be over) lead to severe damage to academic schedule. This has been turned into a political slugfest with the government not addressing students' concerns and instead is making illogical claims.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks