Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 15:12   #46
OmV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepravi View Post
Hello Akhil, I hope you are doing well. I wanted to know if you have already obtained your PR for Canada? And ideally when would you be moving? I just wanted to get an idea of the current timelines for the PR process as I plan to start mine towards the end of the year.

Hi Sandeep - do not delay starting the process. I do not know your age but that plays a role in your CRS score. Also it took me longer than expected to gather the educational documents / transcripts and get them over to WES. If you are yet to write the IELTS then that's one more thing.
Just jump into it right away. Hoping all goes well for you, if approved you can still have some wiggle room to choose your timeline to move to Canada. Good luck.
OmV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 03:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Federal Express Entry program, Canada : My experience

Folks - just a question here:
I want to apply for the express entry process, but I'm stuck as all IELTS centers close to me have suspended testing for a while. Same for CELPIP.

Considering that I've done my Masters in the USA and working on the F-1 visa (student visa) using my STEM OPT, are there any exceptions I can file for? Or is my only option to wait it out until the test center open?
TIA

*For reference - I'm located in Silicon Valley
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 09:45   #48
OmV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Considering that I've done my Masters in the USA and working on the F-1 visa (student visa) using my STEM OPT, are there any exceptions I can file for? Or is my only option to wait it out until the test center open?
TIA
[/i]

For the Express Entry program, Language tests are required. It also works in your interest as these are easy points in the CRS score.
Since you are on an OPT, you should definitely try looking for employment in Canada as that is another good way to (eventually) gain PR.
I have a friend in MA who is also waiting for testing centers to open up since March. I heard in India online home based testing has started. Unfortunately this isn't available in the US.
Good luck on your PR journey.
OmV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 09:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmV View Post
Since you are on an OPT, you should definitely try looking for employment in Canada as that is another good way to (eventually) gain PR.
Are you referring to temporary work permits? Don't companies avoid that as LMIA is a tedious process?
Old 9th September 2020, 14:26   #50
OmV
BHPian

Quote:
Are you referring to temporary work permits? Don't companies avoid that as LMIA is a tedious process?

Yes I have heard it is quite a task. Similar to the LCA done for an H1B but more stringent.
Express entry remains the top bet for Canadian Immigration. If you have a few bucks to spare consulting a Canadian immigration lawyer might add some value as there are a lot of Canadian immigration programs apart from the express entry. I believe they charge around 1500-2000 US.

Get your express entry profile in the hat as soon as you can write the IELTS. Assuming you still have time left on your STEM OPT you aren't in any rush. In spite of the seemingly adverse conditions for immigrants in the US, most of my US based friends still view Canada as a back up option rather than a serious alternative. Moving to Canada may be a personal choice for you but you also have around 3 shots at the H1B lottery depending on when you graduated(I assume you haven't already been approved for one this year).
OmV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 14:36   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepravi View Post
Hello Akhil, I hope you are doing well. I wanted to know if you have already obtained your PR for Canada? And ideally when would you be moving? I just wanted to get an idea of the current timelines for the PR process as I plan to start mine towards the end of the year.
Hi Sandeep

Apologies for the delayed response. Strangely did not get any notification about a reply to this thread.

To answer your question, I have not yet received my PR. All of the checks on my file are complete and it has been approved. Waiting for when Canadian government starts issuing passport stamping requests to people who are not in Canada and also for the Visa Application Centres to open up ( they are shut till 30th September)

Current timeline for getting your PR after submitting documents has stretched to about 12 months, so do plan accordingly.

Quote:
Folks - just a question here:
I want to apply for the express entry process, but I'm stuck as all IELTS centers close to me have suspended testing for a while. Same for CELPIP.

TIA

*For reference - I'm located in Silicon Valley
You can only wait for IELTS centres to open up. IDP is conducting Computer Based examinations these days in India but those are for limited number of people. Paper based examinations haven't started here yet.
akhil994 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 14:43   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Thanks a lot for this thread. At last a place where I can shamelessly ask stupid questions. I am almost 37. Should I even try for this? I have 14 plus years of work experience in IT if that gives me any brownie points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
The only way you can emigrate to Canada at age 35 and older up to 53 is if you have a job offer commensurate with your age/experience and also meet the other criteria in the application process. You can expedite this process if you have a friend or relative who can contact a local immigration lawyer after obtaining a job offer.
A close friend migrated to Canada 2 years back. He was 40 years old then. No job offer. I am not sure what his scores were. His profile was not very 'impressive' either - both him and his wife has Masters Degree, wife is around 33, no work experience. He was a regular IT joe with two kids aged 5 and 7. I also remember both of them complaining about low scores in IELTS.

I think it took him about 3-4 months to find an IT job similar to his profile in India there and last time I spoke to him he was a very happy guy.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 9th September 2020 at 14:45.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 00:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmV View Post
I believe they charge around 1500-2000 US.

Get your express entry profile in the hat as soon as you can write the IELTS. Assuming you still have time left on your STEM OPT...
I've 2 more shots at the H-1B and have about 21 months on my STEM OPT. I'm hoping that the rules in November change in my favor, but hope is all I can do. But given the uncertainty, I think having a backup is critical as I've less than 2 years. I can optimistically hope that IELTS centers in California will open by 2021.

I do plan to hire an immigration consultant as I'm trying evaluate PNPs like BC Tech Pilot PNP (with my current company), OINP, or Québec regular skilled worker program.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Current timeline for getting your PR after submitting documents has stretched to about 12 months, so do plan accordingly.
Is submitting documents is the step done within 60 days after receiving the ITA?
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 14:45   #54
BHPian

An Update !

Finally received the passport submission email ! The application has been approved. Passport to be picked up tomorrow for stamping and issuing the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) document.

Finishing line finally!!
akhil994 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 01:04   #55
BHPian

Congrats, and welcome to Canada ! PM me on everything from real estate to vehicles
jacobvarughese is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 11:20   #56
BHPian

Quote:
An Update !

Finally received the passport submission email ! The application has been approved. Passport to be picked up tomorrow for stamping and issuing the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) document.

Finishing line finally!!
Wonderful! Congratulations!

I was happy to see an update on this thread. I'm trying some other things from my end as well. Thinking of a one year Grad certificate, since the cut-offs have breached the numbers that I can possibly get while based here in India. Will let you know how it works out.
pratik1992 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 11:29   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Congrats, and welcome to Canada ! PM me on everything from real estate to vehicles
Thank you! Definitely going to do that! Just hoping that travel exemptions are added for people, since currently only those with COPR issued before 18th March 2020 can travel (a rule which is making lesser sense with each passing day). I am planning to travel around March/April. Should get my passport back within a week more I guess.

They extended my medicals till the 28th of May 2021. So hoping for some ease in restrictions for travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratik1992 View Post
Wonderful! Congratulations!

I was happy to see an update on this thread. I'm trying some other things from my end as well. Thinking of a one year Grad certificate, since the cut-offs have breached the numbers that I can possibly get while based here in India. Will let you know how it works out.
Thank you so much! Study route is becoming so much more popular due to the rocketing cut-offs! Great to see you have decided to go ahead with it. All the very best for the same!

Looking forward to your updates on this thread!
akhil994 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 12:05   #58
Senior - BHPian

I am at 451 and also in Ontario's 5 listed occupation, but because of Covid lost a good 6-7 months and in March had my birthday because of which from 456 it came to 451.

The draw results for Ontario's tech draw are coming out too high too these days, the last one was 460 to 468

The wait is frustrating and frankly losing a bit of hope as my birthday will again come up in March and 5 more points gone.

I am starting to learn french, but that is a long 5-6 months journey.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 16:19   #59
AZT
BHPian

Quote:

Finishing line finally!!
Congrats man. Great to hear! My brother is almost done with the process and he only needs to get his bio-metrics done from the VFS but its shut for PR applicants and only open for Students. So he's waiting since March for it to open.

Any idea if the VFS will start soon.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 16:32   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I am at 451 and also in Ontario's 5 listed occupation, but because of Covid lost a good 6-7 months and in March had my birthday because of which from 456 it came to 451.

The draw results for Ontario's tech draw are coming out too high too these days, the last one was 460 to 468

The wait is frustrating and frankly losing a bit of hope as my birthday will again come up in March and 5 more points gone.

I am starting to learn french, but that is a long 5-6 months journey.
Considering the increased number of points for French language, even if you spend an year on it, you will be suitably rewarded.

Also bilingualism opens a lot of job opportunities for you. Don't lose hope, just keep at it. All the very best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Congrats man. Great to hear! My brother is almost done with the process and he only needs to get his bio-metrics done from the VFS but its shut for PR applicants and only open for Students. So he's waiting since March for it to open.

Any idea if the VFS will start soon.
Thank you AZT! So many people are stuck without biometrics. I know a friend of mine who is traveling to Dubai to give her biometrics. A lot of Indians have been doing that recently! Your brother can explore that option.

To be honest, I do not have any idea when they will allow biometrics for PR applications, but it will not be before mid February or around that time, since they recently informed that they will not be able to complete biometrics for January intake students in time ( they have received about 60,000 applications for biometrics! Current intake is about 120-150 appointments per day)

If your brother got his biometrics letter in March, he should be in front of the queue whenever they start accepting bookings (provided they go as per date of issuance of letter, which they should ideally)
akhil994 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks