Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2021, 20:01   #76
BHPian

Re: The Federal Express Entry program, Canada : My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Hi Akhil,
Congratulations on your impending move to Canada & wish you lots of success
May i task this opportunity to bore with a few queries of mine?
  • I am soon to be 36 years (In August), is there any chance of a Canada immigration for me and my wife (33) or have we missed the boat?
  • Do i need both IELTS and E.C.A accreditation before creating an express entry profile?
  • My wife has done her post graduation diploma in Mass media. Will that be counted as Bachelors or Masters?
  • Do you suggest i go with WES or IQAS or ICAS for her?
    I am just a B.E, so mine is rather simpler.

Thanks for assisting in advance,
R
Hey! Thanks for the words. I hope this turns out like I expect it to

For your questions, you definitely do have a chance for giving it a shot. I would suggest you to go for WES since your wife has a PGD, so it would be evaluated as a diploma only and WES is the quickest.

I would suggest you first play around with the score and figure out what score range are you landing at. For EE, your wife would have to be primary applicant. But I think that direct ITA is going to be tough since your score will max out at 455 with top bands in IELTS for all skills.

I would suggest you to explore SINP as an option. Saskatchewan requires at least 10 years of work experience in a single profile (job code). If you can score 70 points on their point grid, you'll most likely get an invite. This seems like the most realistic target.

If you are really into this move though, I would suggest spend a year learning french and getting to a decent level. You will gain a lot of bonus points for intermediate level french ability, which will compensate for the points you are losing out on due to age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
My friend/colleague applied for PR and moved to Canada in 2020. He was 42 years old that time, with a wife and 2 kids. He found a job in 2 months. He was a Tech Manager here, but had to step down to individual contributor level (being a hands-on person he wasn't happy being a manager, but that is another story).

So, you haven't missed the boat.
A lot of things have changed since the time your colleague applied for it. I presume since he moved in 2020, he must have applied in 2019, when the scores used to trend far lower. The competition in the pool has increased drastically since then. It's really tough now, specially since Alberta has stopped issuing invites to outland candidates ( Alberta used to invite people with scores as low as 300).
akhil994 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 22:04   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
For your questions, you definitely do have a chance for giving it a shot. I would suggest you to go for WES since your wife has a PGD, so it would be evaluated as a diploma only and WES is the quickest.

I would suggest you first play around with the score and figure out what score range are you landing at. For EE, your wife would have to be primary applicant. But I think that direct ITA is going to be tough since your score will max out at 455 with top bands in IELTS for all skills.

I would suggest you to explore SINP as an option. Saskatchewan requires at least 10 years of work experience in a single profile (job code). If you can score 70 points on their point grid, you'll most likely get an invite. This seems like the most realistic target.
Hi Akhil,

Is there a reason why my wife must be primary applicant? is it because of her age?
Our C.R.S score right now is coming to 428 & i suppose SINP is only option.

Also, do we need to send both our accreditations separately to WES or can we do it as one?
Are there IT jobs in Saskatchewan? When i saw LinkedIn or Indeed.com, i barely found any.

Can you kindly share the Saskatchewan point grid link? I want to try there.

Are we eligible for OINP or is the score not enough for us?

Last edited by 1985Darkkid85 : 11th May 2021 at 22:13. Reason: ok
Old 12th May 2021, 12:20   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Hi Akhil,

Is there a reason why my wife must be primary applicant? is it because of her age?
Our C.R.S score right now is coming to 428 & i suppose SINP is only option.

Also, do we need to send both our accreditations separately to WES or can we do it as one?
Are there IT jobs in Saskatchewan? When i saw LinkedIn or Indeed.com, i barely found any.

Can you kindly share the Saskatchewan point grid link? I want to try there.

Are we eligible for OINP or is the score not enough for us?
Yes, your wife being younger and having 2 degrees will have a higher score.
You'll both have to do your ECA with WES separately, but WES evaluates multiple credentials of one applicant for the cost of a single evaluation only.

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/resident...ur-eligibility

You can refer to this link for SINP details. The lowest SINP score has been 67 or 68 for a while. It has not gone lower than that. If SINP has your occupation in demand, rest assured that means that there is a shortage of that skill in the province.

OINP has a different way of inviting candidates, meaning that they start with a point lower than the last FSW draw score and move backwards from that. Once they exhaust their invite quota, that becomes the lowest score of their draw. Last FSW draw was at 468 and OINP draw was 463-467.

When I got my OINP invite, I was invited at a score of 441. At that time, the FSW score was 460 and the OINP range was 435-459.

I would still suggest, look towards french as an option.
akhil994 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 21:21   #79
BHPian

Hello Akhil,

Hope you and everyone at home are fine and good. Your Canadian immigration experience is extremely informative, helpful and it totally negates the need for Consultants.

I and my wife are looking at immigrating to Canada and are over with our IELTS and WES accreditations. We tried filling up the online Express Entry application but to our horror, the application form itself seems unavailable on the IRCC website.

I created the GC Key, logged in, accepted the declaration, chose immigration and citizenship, and then instead of Express Entry Application- I find myself back on the Information and Service page. Hence, I am just not able to get the desired application to fill and submit.

Am I doing the process of the Express Entry Application wrong in any way? (All Online Videos show the same process that I am doing though they get the application form post clicking immigration and citizenship)

Yours and other Team Member's suggestions are highly valued and welcomed.
Old 14th August 2021, 21:50   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
I created the GC Key, logged in, accepted the declaration, chose immigration and citizenship, and then instead of Express Entry Application- I find myself back on the Information and Service page.
Try clearing the cache or use another browser. PDF downloads are to be done little differently, you have to right click and save as on your computer and then fill. Hope it helps.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 21:43   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Try clearing the cache or use another browser. PDF downloads are to be done little differently, you have to right click and save as on your computer and then fill. Hope it helps.
Thank You for your help. Tried multiple times reopening the site post clearing caches and managed to finally open and submit my express entry application. Finally, I am in the pool.
Old 10th October 2021, 00:04   #82
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I have been silent about my future plans on this forum as it is a public one, however, I think it is now safe for me to declare that I too will be moving to Canada this Month. Will be moving to Calgary as I was invited to take up their Nomination (AINP).

As a mechanical engineer working in a PSU it is a big gamble for me to resign and switch to a foreign land, but I am determined to explore the options I have and have support from family and friends and most importantly I have time on my side. another 2-3 years down the line it would have been impossible to make the move.

Here is my experience:
OCT 2018 - began with IELTS and WES assessments fro myself and my spouse.
NOV 2018 - Hired a Canada based consultant of India origin
JAN 2019 - Received IELTS and ECA results. Renewed expiring Passport.
FEB 2019 - Profile Created
APR 2019 - AINP Notification of Interest received. Submitted documents. Completed MBA sent degree for ECA.
JUN 2019 - AINP confirmation received.
JUL 2019 - Invitation to apply (ITA). Medical, PCC, POF submitted afresh.
AUG 2019 - EE profile submission.
SEP 2019 - Biometrics appointment
FEB 2020 - Confirmation of PR (CoPR).
MAR 2020 - Passports sent for VISA stamping
COVID-19 engulfs the world. We got an assurance that the application would not be canceled for reasons pertaining to COVID-19.
DEC 2020 - Re-initiated the process by raising a web-form, one day before they announced that they will not be entertaining web-forms anymore.
APR 2021 - Received an e-mail enquiring if we are still interested to move to Canada.
JUN 2021 - Re-medical request received.
AUG 2021 - Passport Request for VISA stamping. Received within 21 days.
Looking back at the timeline, we decided that we had spent a good 3 years just sitting in the waiting line and that the decision cannot be delayed any further.
SEP 2021 - Resigned from my cushy PSU job,Disposed off the household items
OCT 2021 - It is time for the move.
I would be glad to answer any queries and would love to connect with BHPians in Canada too.

Last edited by Tgo : 10th October 2021 at 00:06.
Tgo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 15:37   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Hello Akhil,

Hope you and everyone at home are fine and good. Your Canadian immigration experience is extremely informative, helpful and it totally negates the need for Consultants...
Hey! I am doing good, thanks for asking. I wish the same to you as well.

Wish you all the very best with the process. Just one advise - Do not put life decisions on hold due to this decision of yours. It can take longer due to the enormous backlog that IRCC has.

Other than that, wish you the best. What did your CRS come out to finally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
...I too will be moving to Canada this Month. Will be moving to Calgary as I was invited to take up their Nomination (AINP)...
Congratulations to you. My passport is also with the Canadian Embassy and I will be getting my second COPR and visa very soon (within the next 10-15 days). I will be resigning from my job shortly after and planning to move around first week of March.

I wish you all the very best there and would love to connect with you separately as well, even though I would be in Ontario myself.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th October 2021 at 16:26. Reason: Trimmed quotes.
akhil994 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 20:14   #84
BHPian

Quote:
I have been silent about my future plans on this forum as it is a public one, however, I think it is now safe for me to declare that I too will be moving to Canada this Month. Will be moving to Calgary as I was invited to take up their Nomination (AINP).

As a mechanical engineer working in a PSU it is a big gamble for me to resign and switch to a foreign land, but I am determined to explore the options I have and have support from family and friends and most importantly I have time on my side. another 2-3 years down the line it would have been impossible to make the move.

Here is my experience:
OCT 2018 - began with IELTS and WES assessments fro myself and my spouse.
NOV 2018 - Hired a Canada based consultant of India origin
JAN 2019 - Received IELTS and ECA results. Renewed expiring Passport.
FEB 2019 - Profile Created
APR 2019 - AINP Notification of Interest received. Submitted documents. Completed MBA sent degree for ECA.
JUN 2019 - AINP confirmation received.
JUL 2019 - Invitation to apply (ITA). Medical, PCC, POF submitted afresh.
AUG 2019 - EE profile submission.
SEP 2019 - Biometrics appointment
FEB 2020 - Confirmation of PR (CoPR).
MAR 2020 - Passports sent for VISA stamping
COVID-19 engulfs the world. We got an assurance that the application would not be canceled for reasons pertaining to COVID-19.
DEC 2020 - Re-initiated the process by raising a web-form, one day before they announced that they will not be entertaining web-forms anymore.
APR 2021 - Received an e-mail enquiring if we are still interested to move to Canada.
JUN 2021 - Re-medical request received.
AUG 2021 - Passport Request for VISA stamping. Received within 21 days.
Looking back at the timeline, we decided that we had spent a good 3 years just sitting in the waiting line and that the decision cannot be delayed any further.
SEP 2021 - Resigned from my cushy PSU job,Disposed off the household items
OCT 2021 - It is time for the move.
I would be glad to answer any queries and would love to connect with BHPians in Canada too.

Hi TGO,

I am also looking for migration to Canada, Alberta is the one which I have shortlisted. How good is the job market in Alberta?

Heard Calgary and Edmonton are becoming an IT hub, Also I found out many job openings w.r.t to the line of work which I am in (NOC - 2171)

Also does Alberta really have less CRS score to be eligible for PR when compared to other provinces?

I am 26 M, Single. Education : Bachelors and a Diploma with 2 years of work experience in India. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 30th November 2021, 02:54   #85
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareesh3395 View Post
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Job market depends on the person applying. Things that help universally across Canada:
-Having Canadian work experience
-Having Canadian references
-Good with networking
-You need to beat the Applicant Tracking Software (ATS) before a human goes through your resume
...and many more things.

Technical experience is OK but that will not get you much far, the focus is on showcasing adaptability, interpersonal skills, specialized skills and becoming one with the system. You need to speak in the local language, the openings have different names here. IT industry would be a bit more uniform in that regards. Amazon recently announced it would be setting up an IT hub in Calgary.

IT is an unregulated industry so you will not have to apply for special certifications/licenses to begin working here. You would have to begin at an entry level position and then prove your worth, something easier to do when you are younger.

CRS score is not changed depending on the province. The province just screens the EE profiles and chooses a few profiles to offer them provincial nomination if it feels that a person of a particular skill set is required in their province, which in turn boosts up your score by 600 pts. Otherwise the CRS score and the cut-off is the same for all who are in the pool.

Be sure to move only if you have sufficient funds to sustain yourself for the initial 4-6 months, a willingness to restart at entry level, or an intention to pick up Canadian qualifications. Studying here is cheaper when you become a PR.

I think it is best to make the move early in your life or at least after gaining credible work experience before you cross 30. And it helps to acquire further qualifications in the meanwhile. Acquire internationally recognized certifications and degrees.
Examples:
In India we have a culture of boasting of Project experience with a BE degree just because your employer gave you that role and you learnt the tricks along the way, but here, you need to have a PMP certification/equivalent qualification to even be eligible for the role.

To become a security services personnel you need to sit through an exam and clear a standard first-aid and CPR training course.

To work in a restaurant you need to have taken the Food Safety course.

...things like this are applicable to all industries. You might want to go through job openings and browse through the requirements and see which certifications and qualifications are in line with the Canadian IT industry.
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 04:29   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

...things like this are applicable to all industries. You might want to go through job openings and browse through the requirements and see which certifications and qualifications are in line with the Canadian IT industry.[/indent]
I don't think its true for all industry. An acquaintance switched jobs. He is a software engineer and could go to a similar level (senior staff) in another company.

But he did have to take a pay cut. He went from around 350K gross in USA (Seattle) to about 250K Canadian in Toronto area. He still made the switch because kid is aging out in another 3 years and the green card long wait times were causing him a lot of stress.
I guess salaries are generally lower in Canada?
Old 15th December 2021, 14:57   #87
BHPian

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

I have been thinking of emigrating to Canada, but haven't really done anything to start the process.

Yesterday, my wife was contacted by a representative of Gateway Immigration for Canada PR. They said that we need to pay Rs. 1600 initially for evaluating her resume before starting the PR application process. Later, there would be fees (approximately 1.75 lakhs inclusive of everything) if her profile is suitable.

She is a software tester with 13 years experience in webservices testing, and I am a technical writer with 14 years experience. Can anyone comment on how easy or difficult it would be for my wife to get PR in Canada. Also, is Gateway Immigration a reliable agency to help with the process, or is there any other agency which anyone has used and found to be good.
Old 15th December 2021, 23:25   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I have been thinking of emigrating to Canada, but haven't really done anything to start the process.

Yesterday, my wife was contacted by a representative of Gateway Immigration for Canada PR. They said that we need to pay Rs. 1600 initially for evaluating her resume before starting the PR application process. Later, there would be fees (approximately 1.75 lakhs inclusive of everything) if her profile is suitable.

She is a software tester with 13 years experience in webservices testing, and I am a technical writer with 14 years experience. Can anyone comment on how easy or difficult it would be for my wife to get PR in Canada. Also, is Gateway Immigration a reliable agency to help with the process, or is there any other agency which anyone has used and found to be good.
From what I have heard, most of the time you will have to take a lower-level job (than your current one) when moving to Canada. Do some research and then the step towards it.
Old 16th December 2021, 03:33   #89
BHPian

Quote:

She is a software tester with 13 years experience in webservices testing, and I am a technical writer with 14 years experience.
Canada PR process is very well documented and if you followed CIC website and few vlogs/blogs, you would get a hang of it. In my opinion, Express Entry does not need any consultant. Coming to the job situation, testing or BA jobs are available and with the right connect and some effort, she can start around 5K+ a month and grow from there. One of my friends with limited background in BA domain secured a job and is making that ballpark money. Please be ready for some struggle initially and then it should smooth out. You can PM if need any further detail. Good luck.
bhardwhu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 09:08   #90
BHPian

Quote:

As other said, just follow the CIC website. The process is straightforward. The problem with Canada is that jobs are centered around Toronto area and rents are insane here. You will need a good cushion before you guys start earning.

Finding a job as a Webservices QA shouldn't be too hard.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks