Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2020, 03:35   #181
BHPian

Re: Effects of Coronavirus on the global economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Wow that was fast. Kudos to RBI.

I maybe nitpicking but it says RBI has allowed moratorium. Is it an advisory Or a directive to the banks?
Do not understand EMI & Moratorium. But based on what little I (thought) I understood, it seemed that someone who has an EMI would not have to pay for 3 months and pay it later. Like a deferment. However this article suggests that if an individual who has taken a loan opts for this, s/he would have to pay more. Is that something that was expected from the moratorium? Not good at finance so if someone could explain it, would help.

https://www.livemint.com/industry/ba...390062828.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
One of the few businesses that could have benefitted from the current turn of events and done well for themselves is Big Basket / Grofers.
Rightly said AMG. I was also thinking that this would have been an opportunity for these businesses to strengthen themselves however they failed. They should have taken a clue from H-E-B (supermarket chain in Texas, US). They have a good plan in place, as per the article, something that they have been working on since 2005 (when the threat of H5N1 appeared).
https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/he...irus-pandemic/
Old 29th March 2020, 04:49   #182
Senior - BHPian

What the government should have done also is to protect the interest rates for senior citizens in Bank FDs and national savings schemes like PPF, NSC etc. Where should the ordinary citizen (most of whom have worked in regular salaried jobs) park his or her money for regular income ? Or does the government expect them to play roulette with the stocks ?
Old 29th March 2020, 09:15   #183
BHPian

Source: Financial Times

Giant retailers with huge online presence have the ground to themselves now. I think this crisis will change retail for ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Effects of Coronavirus on the economy-eupeueiwkaamv1a.jpg  

ashokrajagopal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 11:40   #184
BHPian

To everyone trying to weigh lives against the economic disaster, please understand the scale of human destruction we are staring at right now.
Exponential growth is hard to understand - so please do the math first before talking about sacrificing 'some' lives for the economy.

The UK Medical chief has said that they'd have done 'well' to keep the death toll under 20,000. Scale that to India's population, and we get 4 Lakh dead, without even considering the worse healthcare around here.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9431916.html
d3mon is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 14:05   #185
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I feel that we Indian's have that "adjustment" mentality and we will survive this, albeit a bit shaken. Those who have never 'adjusted' their lives as they reaped the benefits of the post WW2 era, will be the hardest hit. It helps that Indians have never reached a 'high' standard of living (relative to other western/richer economies).
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 14:14   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Detroit Auto Show Cancelled, Venue to become field hospital, the auto show aims to resume in June of 2021 instead of the original June 9 to 20 of this year.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th March 2020 at 14:15.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 14:27   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe we are headed for a very serious global slow down - a lot worse than 2008. A lot will depend on how the US economy takes it. In India the lock down, the mass displacement it has caused, along with drop in exports and most importantly shortage of buying power (read cash) in villages & small towns will affect our economy adversely. I am expecting zero growth this year, for India, if we are fortunate. Brace for worse. This could be our first year of negative real GDP growth since 1979-80.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 19:37   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

German minister commits suicide after 'coronavirus crisis worries'

Quote:
Mr Thomas Schaefer, the finance minister of Germany's Hesse state, has committed suicide apparently after becoming "deeply worried" over how to cope with the economic fallout from the coronavirus,
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 20:02   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of the few businesses that could have benefitted from the current turn of events and done well for themselves is Big Basket / Grofers.

With the corona virus and lockdowns around for sometime in neighbouring countries they could have been prepared and anticipated a huge demand for their services. However they were caught napping as is typical of several incompetent managements around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Absolutely, spot on. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Rightly said AMG. I was also thinking that this would have been an opportunity for these businesses to strengthen themselves however they failed. They should have taken a clue from H-E-B (supermarket chain in Texas, US). They have a good plan in place, as per the article, something that they have been working on since 2005 (when the threat of H5N1 appeared).
https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/he...irus-pandemic/
I'm sorry, but this is ridiculously unfair to the people running these companies. I know some of the folks at BigBasket, and their efforts are second to none. Their supply chains are pan-India, to begin with, down to grains and fruits/veg. With the lockdown, goods cannot travel between states. And yes, permissions are a big thing when your delivery personnel get beaten up by policemen. No employer wants to make money off their employees being brutalized, or at least none that I know of. As far as the 'clearances' go, please take a look at the flip-flop the Delhi police made, from issuing an order allowing 'essentials' to be delivered, to revoking it less than twenty four hours later.

The management has to deal with ad-hoc policies that affect their business, lathi-happy cops going after their delivery personnel, negotiate with authorities to unseal warehouses and processing centres, assure transport when even most fuel pumps are shut, and completely sanitize each item and delivery person to a high level. I think they're doing a fantastic job. I am extrapolating this to Grofers, whom I know nothing of. I have no commercial affiliations with either, except being a customer.

@sukhoi, TX is one of the least locked-down states, so keeping afloat a supply chain is far easier. The article talks of working at warehouses - in India those are locked down, and commuting to and from can invite serious trouble. Still, they ran out of toilet rolls.
v1p3r is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 21:30   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Their supply chains are pan-India, to begin with, down to grains and fruits/veg.
This is just the starting point when you commence such a business. If you don't even have that, you shouldn't be in this business.

Quote:
With the lockdown, goods cannot travel between states.
Essential goods (which is what Big Basket deals in) can travel unhindered throughout India.

Quote:
And yes, permissions are a big thing when your delivery personnel get beaten up by policemen.
I know of even apartment complexes that have permission for their caretakers through letters from the police to travel freely. This has been done by apartment committees and not a professional management team who were supposed to be running a pan India business.

Quote:
No employer wants to make money off their employees being brutalized, or at least none that I know of.
But's that exactly what happens when you're caught napping.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th March 2020 at 12:39. Reason: Please do not be rude to fellow BHPians
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 22:37   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Essential goods (which is what Big Basket deals in) can travel unhindered throughout India.
let me link it for you.
https://www.deccanherald.com/city/fo...ry-818426.html
https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...488925023.html
EDIT: Specific quote on the issues with inter-state borders https://www.thehindu.com/business/In...le31168221.ece

And here's the 24 hr Delhi u-turn I referred to - https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le31170305.ece
Please also look for #goastarving on Twitter. Evidently, people in Goa have been unable to access food and supplies for 8 days now. Children are standing in queues for hours hoping to get a packet of milk. The govt has shut everything, though it is tweeting that groceries are open 24/7. This is a complete system failure. I imagine no one complains that they are starving unless things are really bad.

Quote:
I know of even apartment complexes that have permission for their caretakers through letters from the police to travel freely. This has been done by apartment committees and not a professional management team who were supposed to be running a pan India business.
Are all the people quoted are lying? That the pictures of long queues outside police stations are fake? Or is it because some people have secured passes, it's easy everywhere across India?

Quote:
But's that exactly what happens when you're caught napping.
Is government incompetence leading to police brutality is perfectly ok, and the employer should be blamed for it?

In a country where the government cannot plan for its poorest 100 m who are literally walking hundreds of kilometres to avoid homelessness and starvation, you have somehow made administrative failings the fault of private corporations.

If you are not on the front lines and feel that you need to help in some way, here's a link just in case https://www.team-bhp.com/news/make-d...ly-wage-worker

Stay safe!

Last edited by Aditya : 30th March 2020 at 12:45. Reason: Please do not be rude to fellow BHPians
v1p3r is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 22:42   #192
BHPian

Quote:
No comments on the rest of your post but this part is definitely wrong.

All you need to do is follow bigbasket on twitter to understand how the local administrations failed to somehow grasp that an entity whose sole purpose is to provide household goods falls into essential services.

Unless, you are alleging that all the posts on social media from hundreds of citizens asking their local authorities to quickly approve the movement of online essential services are fake. In which case please provide your sources.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th March 2020 at 12:46. Reason: Quoted text edited
JithinR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 23:38   #193
BANNED

Germany's Finance Minister committed suicide; he was concerned whether he would be able to manage to fulfill the huge expectations of the population, especially in terms of financial aid. He was the finance minister for the state of Hesse, where Germany's financial center Frankfurt lies.

https://www.dw.com/en/german-state-f...ead/a-52948976

Last edited by vb-saan : 30th March 2020 at 06:14. Reason: Additional line included -State finance minister
turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 23:40   #194
Senior - BHPian

Business performance falls into two categories - results / reasons. And Big Basket has got a lot of reasons for why they couldn't do this and why they couldn't do that with very little to show for results. Companies like Big Basket who have lots of reasons for not performing are referred to as incompetently managed.

Quote:
Are all the people quoted lying?
No, at the cost of repeating myself, that they are extremely incompetent.

Quote:
Is government incompetence leading to police brutality is perfectly ok, and the employer should be blamed for it?
The employer should be blamed for his incompetence and delays leading to police actions on his employees. If he didn't have the permission he could asked his employees not to venture out instead of asking them to risk police brutality. This is another among his many failures.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th March 2020 at 13:07. Reason: Please do not be rude to fellow BHPians
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2020, 23:48   #195
BHPian

Sorry to say guys but Bigbasket goofed up big time here. For the first three days of lockdown, they blamed it on the state government.
Over last three days, they have thanked the government for resolving the issue quickly and proclaimed on twitter that there is no challenge on supply side - yet they cancelled existing orders and have failed to take any new orders.
I am a regular user of their service and have been following the entire fiasco very closely. Even called up the customer care to check when they would be live, and was told it's going to be on or after 31st March.
In contrast, milkbasket was quicker to get back on their feet.
As an alternate, I have started using Swiggy store and I get my groceries within an hour of placing the orders.

Something's cooking within Bigbasket. My feel is either they are struggling with inventory OR they are unable to get enough delivery guys on the ground. Both are acceptable considering the tough times but their communication is really screwed up.

Last edited by warrioraks : 30th March 2020 at 00:05. Reason: Typo
warrioraks is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks