Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 15:11   #91
BHPian

Re: Effects of Coronavirus on the global economy

Economy will take its sweet time to show change.
For investors, it is key to understand the change in consumption patterns and also the transformation many industries will undergo.

The impact of 9/11 created collaboration platforms like webex, zoom and others. Travel industry was never able to regain the lost business travel. Similarly if certain industry shows increased productivity due to remote working, it is bound to create impact on office space leasing.

At the same time this crisis will be positive for personal automobile sector. Public transport and taxis being more prone to spread of virus, personal transport will be evaluated more positively.
CarJunki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 15:24   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
^^Why do you think other sectors would be any better?

My bad, I should have included an 'also' in there. For the other sectors, the impact is a given. For the IT industry, with people having the work from option, the impact was thought to be lesser. I was trying to draw attention to the fact that IT industry revenues will also dry up in the near future leading to job losses.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 15:35   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
My bad, I should have included an 'also' in there. For the other sectors, the impact is a given. For the IT industry, with people having the work from option, the impact was thought to be lesser. I was trying to draw attention to the fact that IT industry revenues will also dry up in the near future leading to job losses.
My friend who was doing reasonably well with his own IT start-up told me yesterday that he might have to close down owing to dried up revenues and held up payments.

Finance industry including the AMCs and brokerage houses are staring at huge challenge. Markets are down by almost 33% and everyone bears that brunt- investor or not.

Everyone wants to sit on cash now, whatever he/she holds and will avoid any unnecessary spending. This will affect every sector and every business. Malls/ cinemas are already closed- so retail spending is down. Ditto for corporates. Indeed very tough times for all.

In other news, Go Air decides to lay off employees in view of the slowdown:
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...d-5045571.html
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 15:44   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota suspends European production.

Quote:
The plants affected are:

France: the Yaris plant in Valenciennes, which suspended operations on Tuesday.

UK: the Corolla plant in Burnaston and an engine plant in Deeside, which close on Wednesday.

Czech Republic: Toyota's small-car plant jointly run with PSA in Kolin. Output stops on Thursday.

Turkey: the C-HR assembly plant in Sakarya, which shuts on Saturday.

Poland: the e-CVT hybrid gearbox plant in Walbrzych and the hybrid engine plant in Jelcz-Laskowice. Both shut on Wednesday.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 15:48   #95
Senior - BHPian

Received this as a Whatsapp forward which has got me freaking:

"In Delhi, all shops in Sadar Bazar, old Delhi, Gandhi Nagar,Karol bagh,Kamla Nagar all major Wholsale markets etc will be closed from tomorrow till April 15. May be Reliance marts, big bazaar etc will be closed as well for a month. Same might be applicable in Maharashtra and other states as well.
Notice will be issued today to all stores & market."

If it is indeed true (which i hope is not), is it time to stock up essentials ?
Old 18th March 2020, 16:16   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

If it is indeed true (which i hope is not), is it time to stock up essentials ?
Even countries with full-fledged shutdowns have left grocery stores and pharmacies open. Access may be limited to avoid crowding, but no reason to believe getting daily necessities will become an issue, yet.

Let's not propagate unverified social media notifications that can cause needless panic.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 16:28   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Let's not propagate unverified social media notifications that can cause needless panic.
Yes, please.

Just got a message on our company chat that claimed some 'medicine' is going to be sprayed in Bangalore tonight! Someone on the team gets a forward and decides to send it out without verifying.

Please evaluate all such forwards skeptically. It's pretty easy these days to cross-check online and see if the same information is being hosted on a reliable source. In this case the Ministry of Health sources or a good news website (Tabloid Of India doesn't count, sorry most of their 'news' is a straight lift off social media anyway!).
Old 18th March 2020, 17:18   #98
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
Similarly if certain industry shows increased productivity due to remote working, it is bound to create impact on office space leasing.
Ive been a proponent of the mobile office concept since 2018. For reasons entirely related to employee motivation and quality of work and not cost saving for infrastructure. Since my team and I are located in a manufacturing facility, my proposals gained limited traction since mobile working is not a viable option to the majority of the workforce on the operations side.
Mobile office is not the same as home-office. It entails an office space for employees without being bound to come in on a daily basis. I was able to get HR to agree on a trial with two volunteer employees. And the results were truly encouraging. Employee engagement and quality of output showed positive trends over a 6 month period and we extended the option to more team members. It was the 30-45 yr olds that took the opportunity.

Long story short - Stress-free, motivated employees with flexible work options delivered quality output even when they worked 35 hrs instead of 40 each week. And there was no appreciable reduction in quantity of output. On the contrary these employees actively reviewed and questioned non essential tasks & meetings - as high performing team ought to.

Thanks to the Virus, organisations are now forced to consider these options. And while the learning and outcomes related to home-office \ reduced hours of work at a time of reduced demand (in many sectors) may skew the results, I expect it will be an eye opener for many skeptics, specially those in leadership positions in large organisations.

Last edited by Zed : 18th March 2020 at 17:36. Reason: typo
Zed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 18:08   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Even countries with full-fledged shutdowns have left grocery stores and pharmacies open. Access may be limited to avoid crowding, but no reason to believe getting daily necessities will become an issue, yet.

Yesterday night about 9 went to buy snacks at nearby mart. But was completely surprised to see it is crowded with people stocking up and causing huge lines. Even though the staffs there promised that the shop will remain open no one pay heed to their words.

Decided to just buy snacks today and left the mart with a *sigh*. I still don't understand how people can trust a whatsapp forward and go on for shopping spree when all the shops are left open where I live!!

This virus shows the stupidity which has been hidden for so long!
xcentrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 18:40   #100
BHPian

I really hope this crisis puts some sense in Indian IT companies and managers who are against WFH upto a certain extent. I have myself observed that more work happens when I am working from home. I have a grueling commute of 2 hours (one way) from Borivali to Airoli daily and not going to office is so much relief as I can wake up late, get more sleep this way, I can spend time with family in breaks and sometimes I don't mind extending work hours if needed as I know I don't need to travel anywhere.

But, I am sure Indian IT companies will not learn their lesson.
raksrules is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 21:57   #101
Team-BHP Support

I was reading up on how Spanish flu affected Indian and World economy in 1918. Found this article:

Why 1918 matters in India’s corona war
https://www.livemint.com/news/world/...033795146.html

- 10 to 20 million Indians dead (20% of global casualties)
- Fatality rate of 10%.
- Mahatma Gandhi caught the virus, but he recovered.
- Minus 10% GDP growth
- Inflation rate of 30% (Nobody went to work, production dropped)

Effects of Coronavirus on the economy-covid.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 18th March 2020 at 22:02.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 07:39   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Qantas Halts All Overseas Flights.

Qantas and low-cost unit Jetstar will suspend overseas services from late March until at least the end of May. Domestic operations will also be cut 60%. Some 150 planes will be grounded.

Two-thirds of Qantas’s workers will be temporarily idled. While some will use accrued leave, or be given holidays in advance, it’s inevitable that others won’t be paid when they’re not working,

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 09:15   #103
Team-BHP Support

India’s response to the coronavirus impact could include cash transfers to the informal economy: Chief Economic Advisor
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/coro...st-impact.html

Quote:
“There is actually an essential trade-off between flattening the curve, from the health policy perspective, and the consequent impact of that on the economy,” Krishnamurthy Subramanian, chief economic adviser to the Indian government, told CNBC’s Tanvir Gill.

He explained that India anticipates possible disruptions to the supply chain and a decrease in demand that could, in turn, affect businesses. As such, the government is working on both fiscal and monetary measures.

“On the fiscal side, (to) try and see if there could be some cash transfers that would be done,” Subramanian said. “India has a very large informal sector and the informal sector may be particularly impacted by the lockdown because there are people who don’t necessarily have a permanent job.”
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 10:46   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Yet another friend's livelihood affected by these shutdowns. Left a corporate job 3 years ago to take over a small travel/trekking agency in Leh. Had put a lot of effort in to change the business model and make it profitable. The last time all of us met last year, we were just commenting how this friend looked much happier and healthier after spending a couple of seasons in the mountains. The business was set to make some bigger investments this year, and start breaking even in a couple of seasons. But certainly looks like this season is a goner. Another friend too left Delhi to run a hotel near Manali. I guess they're in trouble too.

Last edited by am1m : 19th March 2020 at 10:56.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 12:53   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
. And the results were truly encouraging. Employee engagement and quality of output showed positive trends over a 6 month period and we extended the option to more team members. It was the 30-45 yr olds that took the opportunity.
Hi. I have been a proponent of this since I have started working. This, and comfort dressing.
If you don't mind, can you share how you measured all of this? Employees who were offered this opportunity, how long were they with the company?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks