Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2020, 00:48   #31
BHPian

re: Many parts of India are in curfew

I want to report my experience so that True situation is represented.. I went out earlier today to get some essentials vegetables , milk etc. crowds in super markets were normal, every one entering the super market was being asked to rub hands with sanitizer provided at the entrance by the super market attendant. All essentials were available except toned milk . We did get milk in tetra packs though.

The number of people outside going about their business unnerved me, especially the poorer sections including hawkers. In a country like ours where most people just make enough for a day or two, the impact on their lives is unimaginable. Hope that this epidemic passes soon, else we are in dire straits..
charanreddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 00:55   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
....In a country like ours where most people just make enough for a day or two, the impact on their lives is unimaginable...
+1.

In all the (justifiable) angst directed at silly urban hoarders, we're forgetting the vast majority of people who have no financial capacity to hoard even if they wanted to.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 01:23   #33
Team-BHP Support

All 8 of us - 70 year old healthy dad, 65 year old mom with very weak lungs, me, wife, daughter (8), SIL, infant (3 months old) and a nanny are cooped up in the house for 4-5 days now. Only visiting the society store for some groceries.

Sunday ain't gonna be any different.
Eddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 02:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Just like religious practices where fasting is customary to prepare the body to live in less than ideal environmental conditions like drought, flood etc., this is move a teaser for what is to come.

I appreciate the response from the authorities. To prevent community wide infection, it is essential to enforce restrictions on non-essential movements. I’m not sure India is equipped to handle large scale infection. (The topic about developed countries not being able to handle the spread of the virus is a topic for another thread)

On a lighter note, I suspect that most people would have barely woken up on a Sunday morning
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 02:40   #35
BHPian

As a community, this is our moment to lead by example. And to lead because our nation needs us. If it’s up to us, it is up to us. Let’s stay safe & knock this Corona out of the park. And yes the govt better get that Korean lady on the double.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 03:36   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Curfew? What curfew?

Our daughter landed at IGI New Delhi from Australia at 5:40 pm yesterday. She's still at the airport after almost 10 hours, having only managed to get through immigration and collect her baggage. They've been formed into groups of 40 for their medical exam now, and the CISF chap in charge of the group told them it'll take another 3 hours or so. One passenger reminded him that Janta Curfew would begin by then, and he flippantly replied that the curfew is just a suggestion, not mandatorily being enforced.

When I go to the airport to pick her up, and drive her home, we'll be breaking the curfew anyway. What do you guys suggest I do?

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 22nd March 2020 at 03:40.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 05:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
When I go to the airport to pick her up, and drive her home, we'll be breaking the curfew anyway. What do you guys suggest I do?
Logically you should go to pick her up.

In the worst case scenario that she is a carrier ( but tested -ve) it makes sense to ensure that there is minimal transmission. Waiting for some common transport or uber would spread the virus more.

After 10-13 hours of waiting, her stress levels would be high and making her further increase it by taking an uber etc would be detrimental.

You and all at home would as such be on tenderhooks and it does not auger good for elders.

PM Modi said that it was a voluntary curfew and essential movements are exempt ( from social judgement). This comes under essential.

She is your daughter. Go fetch her.
earthian is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 07:39   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In a country like ours where most people just make enough for a day or two, the impact on their lives is unimaginable. Hope that this epidemic passes soon, else we are in dire straits..
The epidemic will almost certainly not pass in a hurry.

I am heavily engaged these days in online consulting with some manufacturing companies as well as small entrepreneurs on how to scale down rapidly and how to plan for the worst while hoping for the best. All agree that there is little point on planning for more than 6 months. Some think that they can afford to pull on with a 2 week closure, but that is using the existing rule book and blinkered thinking.

New games need new rules. Everyone I consult takes time to understand that essentials cost the same for everyone from the CEO to the line operators. Payroll paying capability can be stretched for far more than 2 weeks by radical thinking that leads to the understanding that at this time, all should be paid pretty much the same amounts, to the extent needed for essentials purchases and personal payrolls. Obviously some tweaking is needed as unforeseen questions arise, and at some levels wives have to be brought in to ensure that what is paid for essentials is used for essentials. But the overarching thinking has to be based on how one runs a joint family - no one eats while some go hungry.

If all of us extend this thinking to all that are on our personal payrolls, that is the one step for those not on corporate payrolls.

GoI will soon step in - hopefully - with direct transfers to the self employed on the margins of the economy.

It will take all of us to behave like humans and not animals.
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 08:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Well, if I may suggest, best decision will be to pick her up personally and bring home, she would be so happy to see you guys after the many hours of ordeal at both the airports, then follow the self quarantine for 14 days as a precaution. This way you can be sure of the chain, and you have better control on its management.

Since curfew is a recommendation, and this being an urgent need and hoping no over zealous activism happens on the street.

Last edited by laluks : 22nd March 2020 at 08:05.
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 08:42   #40
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

GoI will soon step in - hopefully - with direct transfers to the self employed on the margins of the economy.

It will take all of us to behave like humans and not animals.
Greed seems to be a much bigger factor. We already have cases of mall owners insisting on rent from shopkeepers though the shops and movie halls are closed.

Unless everyone is willing to put in effort, we will only cause chaos
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 08:56   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

It was like hell yesterday evening. All major supermarkets, local market, small shops were so crowded. No corona fear and people suddenly forgot about social distancing (seeing the crowd, I decided not to purchase). For the past 2-3 days, the situation is like this here in Cochin. Is it due to this, there's a rise in new corona cases?

It's all silent today bang in the middle of the city - an eerie feeling. I could see someone happily flying a drone - maybe to capture never seen images of the ghost town.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 08:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

As expected folks with bikes feel "voluntary" = "not applicable to me". A lot of them breaking the curfew because in their books it isn't applicable to them.

These are the actions that result in harsher steps to all to ensure compliance.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 09:25   #43
BHPian

Quote:
The number of people outside going about their business unnerved me, especially the poorer sections including hawkers. In a country like ours where most people just make enough for a day or two, the impact on their lives is unimaginable. Hope that this epidemic passes soon, else we are in dire straits..
Yesterday I booked a cab to come home from Hassan as my sister didn't want me to take a bus due to the outbreak. The driver of the cab was friendly and we had a good chat. The ignorance and misinformation spread to these people are unimaginable. They thought the police take the suspected cases and kill them if they break quarantine. In the whole 4 hour journey, I had to explain to him about how corona spreads, What we can do as citizens to contain it's spread and how to tackle misinformation.

He was grateful that he met and told me that everyone in his friend circle is believing the YouTube videos which spread this misinformation. If anyone has any informational videos in Kannada please post it here so I can forward it to him.

Thats not it. Before the corona became a pandemic in India, I told my well-educated mom not to travel to Kasargod which is her native. Despite my best efforts she travelled there and went to the village office, where the famous patient 31 in Kerala lived.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd March 2020 at 10:06. Reason: Typo
avaneesh. is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

The birds are back, chirping of the birds, silence and no sound of any vehicles at all. Sitting at our balcony, this silence so welcoming. A good feeling, and unknowingly I searched out for a book to enjoy the moment. A much needed break in all our lives. Thanks a ton for the Janta Curfew. This is one thing I never expected that I will get in my lifetime.

Wishing and Praying, the curfew shows our preparedness and everybody abides by it for a greater good.

Yesterday was mayhem in all the nearby supermarkets. I could see queues stretching on to the road in one of the Reliance Fresh near our place. And others I could see a lot of crowd.

Our milk vendor gave our supplies at 4AM in the morning today, I really do not know why people are hoarding! And our paper vendor send us an online link to the paper we are subscribed to
laluks is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2020, 10:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The birds are back, chirping of the birds,
In my place even the birds seem to be not as loud, while the stray dogs are for sure shocked and confused into silence at the complete disappearance of the usual humans. Well, almost complete - one idiot woman has to take a walk up and down on the walking path, in the hot sun at 1030 am, wearing headphones . It isn't a big deal from a virus standpoint, but it shows that we lack basic self discipline at all levels of our society.

If we can stay on this path, we can be the ones showing a way to the world for real, instead of the many bogus legend and myth based beliefs that we do so.

One day at a time, and so far so good.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks