Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2020, 15:42   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 66 lakh white collar jobs lost in 4 months, due to Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
This states that the coaches were meant to be used once the state health setup was full with no available beds. Thankfully, it didn't happen.
Glad you at least mentioned the usage of the Covid train wards. Although going off topic, the train coaches were turned into Covid coaches so that they can reach the remotest of places where medical facilities are not that great. At least the idea was that from the authorities but no trains were deployed in the rural areas when loadful of people went back to their natives and were isolated.

Each train coach conversion costed 2 lakhs and the re-conversion costed 1 lakh and apparently around 5000 coaches were turned into Covid coaches and then again reconverted to normal coaches. A simple math will tell the cost of the whole futile exercise. I am not blaming anyone here but wasteful expenditure it was for sure. I don’t want to digress much but it is also true that people died early on due to lack of beds in the hospitals. And both the things are dichotomous where as in beds were lying vacant and unused somewhere and at the same time people were dying because of absence of beds !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish.uno View Post
This is indeed an esteemed forum, that is why i would request you to not broadly dismiss the views of a fellow forumer and surgically debunk the misinformation in a less than condescending manner.

You may also consider classifying which sources are credible and which are not, since we all are quoting from print media.

Here is the notification from then PM. Pray do tell, which exact part was misinformation. Please note the second point.
You are conveniently quoting a text from 1948. I, for one, am not quoting anything from any print media like OP India and the likes and not even The Hindu but from the only reliable source these days.

https://pmnrf.gov.in/en/faqs/pmnrf

Please go through the link and come back to me where it says that the President of some party is a member of some management committee !! The truth is, the management committee was disbanded in 1985 and from there on, the entire trust runs only on the orders of the PM. Also, the PMNRF can be used for any emergency and that includes COVID relief as well.

Times have changed, I can’t say that Bangladesh is East Pakistan now just because it was part of Pakistan before 1971. Quoting a text from 1948 has no relevance in 2020. And that is why, I am not going to go further off topic in debunking theories which have no relevance in this thread at all.

Complete off topic folks and moderators but falsified and misleading informations needed to be called out. Please delete if found otherwise contrary.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 15:46   #122
BHPian

I just clicked on this thread and for a moment thought that I'd been redirected to reddit.
Perhaps members could take it down a notch?
Roy.S is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 16:33   #123
BHPian

No dispensation or govt anywhere in the world had any clue of how to tackle the covid pandemic .Most of the countries in the world during the start of covid 19 pandemic had passed it off as a mild viral flu .USA and India wasted notless than 10 weeks each before the govt started acting with seriousness .

Frankly speaking there was no data nor was there any specific line of treatment to see how the virus behaved.In between ,especially in our country ,we had a scheduled visit of the POTUS who had exceptionally high expectations of the number of people who would line up to welcome him .The only state where it was initially taken seriously was kerala which had started screening and lockdowns and had some early success.

The lockdown imposed in March end was the required one but surely mismanaged to the hilt .It was projected as if the world is coming to sn end leading to chaos and what not .Therafter ,the excessively long lockdown led to what has happened now where people have lost jobs and the capacity to evaluate the future in a positive way.Except for the sale of essentials and some rebound in the auto sales ,everything is down .The sectors employing the largest number of the people in the economy like construction ,textiles ,coal ,steel are all showing negative growth by a large number .The housing sales are down by 70% .All this is getting compounded by the unabated number of daily rise in cases in India and talk of second wave in Europe.

People have had their salaries reduced or even lost their jobs.There's no way in which this vicious circle of unemployment be got rid of without the rise in the domestic consumption and along with that a rise in exports.As of now ,both these things seem to be dreams till another 3 to 4 quarters .

However ,the seeds of this massive unemployment had been grown much earlier than even demonitisation of 2016 .The focus on headline management is one of the reasons .Let's accept a fact that every 6 months to 8 months ,there are elections or bye elections .The govt is always in the poll management mode to ensure its win .

An article in business today a few days back on this aspect is worth reading .The link is as below

https://m.businesstoday.in/lite/stor...mpression=true
whitecloud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 16:58   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Difficult. Takes two to untango!

Ultimately these threads become a case of who 'can shout the loudest.' Fueled by genuine indignation on both sides, perhaps sparked by a mischievous troll somewhere. Reason why when I sense that that point is about to happen, I withdraw. To the extent of not even thanking posters who I agree with. Because I feel it only adds as encouragement, when the need is to deescalate.

Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 22nd September 2020 at 17:08.
Sutripta is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:11   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I just clicked on this thread and for a moment thought that I'd been redirected to reddit.
I disagree. This discussion is nowhere close to Reddit which is way more toxic and where members circlejerk in their own custom made-subreddits.

Which is kind of what the nation has also become, each side lives in their own bubble.

Everyone here has been pretty civil till now and disagreements have been accompanied with a write-up of why they think so, adhering to Teambhp rules of making sure posts are substantial in nature.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:19   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Difficult. Takes two to untango!

Ultimately these threads become a case of who 'can shout the loudest.' Fueled by genuine indignation on both sides, perhaps sparked by a mischievous troll somewhere. Reason why when I sense that that point is about to happen, I withdraw. To the extent of not even thanking posters who I agree with. Because I feel it only adds as encouragement, when the need is to deescalate.

Sutripta
Thanks for this invaluable tip.
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:00   #127
Senior - BHPian

^^^
This is an automotive forum. You would expect people here to be really knowledgeable about the technology which drives the automobile. Yet you will find that that is not the case. With many arguments based on 'I know I'm right, you know nothing'. And you expect reasoned discourse on nonautomotive (but passion arousing) topics?
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:20   #128
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Running Government needs money, they need to invest on future.

How does all these can be meet without hurting someone or printing money and adding to inflation.
A country must focus on production (technological, industrial and agricultural) and increase its exports to garner better value for it's currency and then spend it on the welfare of the citizens while taxing those who use the amenities provided to the least extent possible.

There is no need to 'hurt' the minions if the parallel economy is regulated and reducing taxation will encourage people to avoid illegal means which will result in the abolition of parallel economy whille increasing the volume of taxes collected.
Old 22nd September 2020, 18:27   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Point I'm trying to make is no government in the world has had a perfect response to Covid, in fact among the worst affected countries are the European elites & USA, the most developed countries in the world, with a fraction of our population & multiples of our per capita income.

You have a very valid point sir that this pandemic is unprecedented and no government in the world was ready for it and so some of them took decisions that they thought would be beneficial for their own people.

But the point you've missed is what their response is in the aftermath of this lockdown. Like you said the European elites were the most affected in the initial stages and their government initially failed to prevent the spread. But have a look at what they did for their people to get back on their own feet. Governments intervened with unprecedented support measures targeting households, businesses and self-employed. The EU supported national efforts by providing flexibility in state aid regulations and fiscal rules.Critical medical health supplies were held in national warehouses while borders were closed. What we get here instead is million rupee hospital bill for treating Covid positive patients and all the state as well as central government are mum about it. European Central Bank launched 1trillion euro monetary package to counter risk of liquidity. What our nation witnessed is only emi holiday and financial package to banks to make borrowing easier for public. When you don't have a secured income or livelihood, how can you borrow even if interest is at an all time low.

I know it's difficult to feed a nation of billions a fixed sum in bank account every month with reduced GST collection and other income for government but then is it a good time to start building a religious shrine or a new parliament building when a big chunk of your population is on the brink of poverty.

Failure to tackle something unprecedented promptly with correct measures is something but turning a deaf ear showing no sympathy to your own countrymen when they are bleeding is something else. No one is blaming the government for their knee-jerk reaction at the beginning but what character they have shown in the aftermath is what making this thread 8 pages long. I'm sorry if I offended someone's emotions. I just expressed mine.

P.S. By government I meant both Central and State governments of India.

Last edited by Carpainter : 22nd September 2020 at 18:44.
Carpainter is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:10   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
You are conveniently quoting a text from 1948. I, for one, am not quoting anything from any print media like OP India and the likes and not even The Hindu but from the only reliable source these days.

https://pmnrf.gov.in/en/faqs/pmnrf

Please go through the link and come back to me where it says that the President of some party is a member of some management committee !! The truth is, the management committee was disbanded in 1985 and from there on, the entire trust runs only on the orders of the PM. Also, the PMNRF can be used for any emergency and that includes COVID relief as well.

Times have changed, I can’t say that Bangladesh is East Pakistan now just because it was part of Pakistan before 1971. Quoting a text from 1948 has no relevance in 2020. And that is why, I am not going to go further off topic in debunking theories which have no relevance in this thread at all.

Complete off topic folks and moderators but falsified and misleading informations needed to be called out. Please delete if found otherwise contrary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Thus is getting OT hence please delete if inappropriate.
I am not sure if you read the highlighted texts. You said that the PMNRF has the opposition party president. That was misinformation, and if you want to ignore that, go ahead
Since the posters were quite adamant that the statement that the CONGRESS PARTY PRESIDENT is a member of PMNRF is FALSE. A factual and contemporary sources is actually available. I hope an Indian High Court Judgement of 2018 works!

https://indiankanoon.org/doc/66482610/

To save you time from reading it, it quotes the same document of 1948 wherein the CONGRESS PARTY PRESIDENT is a member of PMNRF. However in 1985 PMNRF was deemed to be TRUST wherein the Managing Committee (which of CONGRESS PARTY PRESIDENT<CPP>) is a member) entrusted daily management to the PM who in turn delegates the authority. It does not state that the Committee has been disbanded. Logically it follows that the CONGRESS PARTY PRESIDENT is a member of PMNRF. Either way it makes no difference to me. But seems to be FACT no fiction as cited above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Also, please visit the PMNRF website and see the record of accounts for all years. Could you show a similar thing for PM cares?
It does not matter to me if its PMNRF or PM Cares and I do not give a hoot for the audit and other assessments in midst of the pandemic. We are in a crises. The Wuhan/China/COVID 19 virus needs full attention. There will always be time to ask for audits/verifications etc post the acute phase we are in.

Just checked that the PM Cares Fund was launched on 28th March 2020. Lets wait for some time before demanding records. Its not even 9 months old as I type this. You want yearly records before 9 months? Seriously?

I am all for accountability. But lets not put the cart before the horse. Give PM Cares time to do its work and then assess.

Coming back to the Topic. Yes there are tremendously high job losses. Its sad. Along with those who have lost jobs and most importantly businesses, the psychological impact on families is immense. Our society is getting more and more consumeristic and hence instant gratification has become the norm. Yes as a country we have lifted hundreds of millions of people from wretched poverty but this Wuhan Virus risks us failing our fellow compatriots and losing our gains. Jobs will come back and businesses will be created again. We need to not loose hope. One OP talked about a suicide pandemic. Lets pray it does not come to that as a second wave of this Wuhan/COVID 19 Virus grips large parts of the world except China. Humankind has adapted to overcome problems and I am sure we will overcome this too.
arakhanna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 00:12   #131
BHPian

Maybe someone will enjoy this game after wrangling his brain reading through all the posts on PMCARES.

https://pmcares.fund/

Edit: It's like the Google Chrome game that comes up when you don't have internet connection/issues on it. Click screen to start it.

Last edited by JithinR : 23rd September 2020 at 00:14.
JithinR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 06:52   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Maybe someone will enjoy this game after wrangling his brain reading through all the posts on PMCARES.
I had contributed to the fund will contribute more
aspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:36   #133
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 66 lakh white collar jobs lost in 4 months, due to Covid-19

Mod Note: Guess this topic has been discussed enough. Thank you!
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks