Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Old 3rd December 2020, 19:32   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Fat to Fit - A journal of my fitness journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

Actually, cholesterol as a measure of health is being debunked of late. Lots of research happening on this. It is not cholesterol that settles down in the arteries that create blocks. Cholesterol is something very essential to the body, and body produces almost 80% of cholesterol on its own for its needs. We consume only 20% of body's cholesterol needs through dietary fat.
Cholesterol as a generic term is misleading. Because, body does need cholesterol but that has to be of type HDL. Certain foods lead to build up of LDL and that is the cause of cardiovascular diseases. A visibly fat person can have high ratio of HDL/LDL and can lead a healthy life (other than issue due to being overweight) where as a slender person with low ratio of HDL/LDL (if major proportion of whatever fat in the body is LDL) can be at higher risk of heart disease.
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 19:41   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Cholesterol as a generic term is misleading. Because, body does need cholesterol but that has to be of type HDL. Certain foods lead to build up of LDL and that is the cause of cardiovascular diseases. A visibly fat person can have high ratio of HDL/LDL and can lead a healthy life (other than issue due to being overweight) where as a slender person with low ratio of HDL/LDL (if major proportion of whatever fat in the body is LDL) can be at higher risk of heart disease.
Yes. Agree on your point about HDL/LDL ratio. HDL and LDL are actually transporters that carry cholesterol throughout the body.

Sorry I missed that point in your previous post. My comment was on the total cholesterol that people mostly worry on.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 19:46   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
HDL and LDL are actually transporters that carry cholesterol throughout the body.....My comment was on the total cholesterol that people mostly worry on.
Encouraged by my lipid profile findings, I have increased my intake of 'good fat' foods. Have been taking larger servings of flax seeds, sesame seeds etc. It helped me to keep hunger away for longer periods while giving me a good balance of low carb and good fat rich meal (fiber is added bonus)
deetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 09:38   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Yes, being fat is not ALWAYS unhealthy.

The other subset is Apolipoprotein A & B1, the primary protein component of HDL & LDL. Higher APO A & lower APO B indicates a lesser risk of CV diseases. And there is hs-CRP, the marker of inflammation on the arteries of the heart, the higher the value more the inflammation (could be for any reason). The easiest way to play around with these ratios is to reduce triglycerides as much one could by cutting down sugar in any form (including fruits, esp juices) & follow IF. Each body is different & every individual has to find out what works best for them by getting hold of things through experimentation using the concepts.

Most Viewed