Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2007, 01:56   #46
BHPian

I wonder how many so called patriots in this thread have bothered to read the controversy behind the National Anthem. I am not going to go into the details. those interested can click the following link: -

Jana Gana Mana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another question, how many of you have sung the anthem after leaving school / college ? How many of you know the actual transalation ? How many of you get up and religiously hoist the flag on the 15th Of August ? Has it ever stopped you from stocking up your bar the previous night knowing that it is going to be a dry day ? Stop behaving like hypocrates.

I am not saying what NRN did is right. The man did not follow protocol and made a public statement - yes that is wrong. But thats where it ends.

Before we can pass judgement on others let us try and perfect ourselves first. it's very easy to tear people apart. Remeber chances of you being in the same soup tomorrow are equally good.
Old 11th April 2007, 01:59   #47
BWN
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I think this issue is greatly diverted not only by media, but even by some of our members here.This news has been mis-reported and blown out of proportion by some media men.Calling names and abusing and throwing nasty comments against NRN without knowing the fact is not a sign of healthy discussion.

Actually, some reporter asked NRN why only instruemental version was played and why wasn't it sung.Mr.Murthy replied saying this would embarass foreign trainees as they will not understand the language.I do not see anything wrong in this statement.Playing an Instruemental version of a country's national anthem in a international arena/atmosphere/audience is a norm.Olympics,Formula 1,International conventions, Football worldcup etc are some live examples.......

I personally have been embarassed by a similar situation in French HQ of my company.French anthem was sung/hummed by them but me and my other european colleagues had no clue about it was.It was really embarassing, as we didnt know how to react to the anthem.Infosys is now a global organisation and keeping this in mind, last minute changes were made.

Pls dont pounce on me now..... My friend was one of the 5,who were supposed to sing in that function.
Old 11th April 2007, 02:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I wonder how many so called patriots in this thread have bothered to read the controversy behind the National Anthem.
If you are referring to me as one of the so-called patriots, yes I am aware of the controversy.

Quote:
Another question, how many of you have sung the anthem after leaving school / college ? How many of you know the actual transalation ? How many of you get up and religiously hoist the flag on the 15th Of August ? Has it ever stopped you from stocking up your bar the previous night knowing that it is going to be a dry day ? Stop behaving like hypocrates.
Still in college. Know the translation. No I do not. Don't drink enough to have to stock up.

Quote:
The man did not follow protocol and made a public statement - yes that is wrong. But thats where it ends.
True, and I appreciate you putting it in those words.

Quote:
Before we can pass judgement on others let us try and perfect ourselves first. it's very easy to tear people apart. Remeber chances of you being in the same soup tomorrow are equally good.
Again, true. I hope I don't find myself in such a situation ever, and if I do, I hope I do the right thing to compensate atleast.

Farhan, I don't know about the others, but I have been pretty vociferous in my damning of NRN. It stems from living in Bangalore, where he is a sort of god, as a result of his PR machine. To give you an idea, TOI did not even report this incident.

I find all his claims hollow, and while he is the founder of a large and successful company, that does not give him the right to prosletyze when he likes. He did not even have the grace to apologise properly. Believe me, this is not the first time he has pulled off a stunt like this. And his whole getup smacks of being a gora-worshipper.

I don't think it is fair to equate stocking up your bar or knowing Jana Gana Mana with what he did. He denigrated his country for the perceived benefit of some foreigners.

Ok, too much ! Exit, stage right.
Old 11th April 2007, 02:37   #49
BHPian

Sorry messed up my reply. Gotta figure out how to post with the quotes in between. i'll be back

Last edited by Sideways : 11th April 2007 at 02:39.
Old 11th April 2007, 02:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
He denigrated his country for the perceived benefit of some foreigners.
No thats not true...He denigrated his country fearing a potential loss from some foreigners... perceiving that their dislike for our anthem may result in a prospective business opportunity loss...huh!!!
Old 11th April 2007, 02:52   #51
BHPian

Quote:
If you are referring to me as one of the so-called patriots, yes I am aware of the controversy.
Good, and would you care to elaborate ? And for this shall we dig up Tagore's remains and crucify him ?

Quote:
Still in college. Know the translation. No I do not. Don't drink enough to have to stock up.
I will wait till you leave, then you can give me an honest answer. You are one of the few people who might know the transalation, I am talking to the majority. About stocking up - we'll wait and see.

Quote:
To give you an idea, TOI did not even report this incident.
So what Akshay. Big deal. News papers report / don't report based on convenience. He hasn't scammed the country of millions of dollars by accepting to sign some underhand deal. How many of the politicians in our country do that and get away with it ? and the public does not even know.

Quote:
I find all his claims hollow, and while he is the founder of a large and successful company, that does not give him the right to prosletyze when he likes. He did not even have the grace to apologise properly. Believe me, this is not the first time he has pulled off a stunt like this. And his whole getup smacks of being a gora-worshipper.
Well thats your personal opinion. But that does not give you the right to call him a "Blithering idiot".

Quote:
I don't think it is fair to equate stocking up your bar or knowing Jana Gana Mana with what he did.
Oh yeah. And why not. At the end of the day it tantamoumts to the same thing isn't it ? i.e. disrespecting our country.

I am not associated in any way with Infosys and /or any of it's associates. I do not know NRN personally.

Enuff said.

Last edited by Sideways : 11th April 2007 at 03:09.
Old 11th April 2007, 03:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

OK, Infosys has foriegn employees, thats news to me. I thought they struck gold by using cheap Indian labor?

Even if they do, they are just employees.... not customers. I live in a foriegn country and if my kids go to school he they will sing the US anthem. When you are in Rome, be a Roman. (BTW, anthems are not sung in any companies I've worked here)

Did anybody bother to ask these foriegn employees if they mind? I can assure you the answer is NO.

Its not like they are bring asked to mug it up and sing it.

Dont think NRN dosent need to suck up to anybody...at least not after reaching this high in life.

Last edited by Mpower : 11th April 2007 at 03:08.
Old 11th April 2007, 03:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good, and would you care to elaborate ?
Well, during the assembly in Delhi to commemorate the coronation of George V, this song was sung. It was believed that it was sung in praise of George V, and addressed to him in the first person. A lot of media reports at the time pushed this as fact. However, Tagore himself later claimed he wrote it as a paean to the God of Destiny, literally Bhagya Vidhata.

Quote:
I will wait till you leave, then you can give me an honest answer. You are one of the few people who might know the transalation, I am talking to the majority. About stocking up - we'll wait and see.
Well, honestly, I don't wake up or go to college on the 15th to hoist the flag. If I am in the presence of such an event, I do not shy away. But I don't think I am any less patriotic for drinking on the 15th. And yes, we'll wait and see

Quote:
So what Akshay. Big deal. News papers report / don't report based on convenience. He hasn't scammed the country of millions of dollars by accepting to sign some underhand deal. How many of the politicians in our country do that and get away with it ? and the public does not even know.
Yes, newspapers report based on convenience. That convenience is based on NRN's cultivation of relationships with certain sections of the press. And yes, he is not a criminal or a scamster. Just someone I do not like. Let me also add, he is an angel compared to an average politician.

Quote:
Well thats your personal opinion. But that does not give you the right to call him a "Blithering idiot".
Well, that's my personal opinion too! But point taken, I will restrain my vocabulary.

Quote:
Oh yeah. And why not. At the end of the day it tantamoumts to the same thing isn't it ? i.e. disrespecting our country.
Well, for a start, we do not drink in public and flaunt our breaking of the law. And we do not drink to keep foreigners company. It shows an abject lack of pride in Jana Gana Mana when NRN would rather shut up than supposedly embarass foreigners. Why should they be embarassed in the first place?

Farhan, I am trying to make the point that NRN is a hypocrite. For someone who is hailed as a role model and leader, he seems to be rather wrong. Be it the silence and support for Phaneesh Murthy during the sexual harassment scandal, or this, his words and actions do not seem to be in sync with his image. He may be a great businessman and a great family man, but he doesn't appear to be a great leader or statesman.
Old 11th April 2007, 03:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, newspapers report based on convenience. That convenience is based on NRN's cultivation of relationships with certain sections of the press. And yes, he is not a criminal or a scamster. Just someone I do not like. Let me also add, he is an angel compared to an average politician.
I agree with that. Yesterday when CNN IBN kept showing reports about NRN being considered as the next President of India and people all over India approving this descision. This report wasnt just shown once or twice but throughout the day. In the end it seemed more like an ad than a report However there isnt a single mention of the national anthem incident anywhere today. hmmmmmm
Old 11th April 2007, 03:27   #55
BHPian

And the point I am trying to make is that - NONE OF US ARE PERFECT

So why criticize somenone elses actions ? And has he asked us to follow him as a role model or leader ? I think not. If people choose to, then it's their prerogative. And I reiterate once again - What he did wasn't right, but who gave us the right to verbally bash him black and blue ?

And about him being a leader and a perfect statesman - I never said he was. And because of the fact that he is a great businessman may be the very reason why he chose not to comment on murthy - Who knows ?

Last edited by Sideways : 11th April 2007 at 03:29.
Old 11th April 2007, 03:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Agreed, none of us are perfect. But when someone figures in public, and willingly at that, he is open to criticism of almost any kind. NRN portrays himself who prides values, morals and ethics over all else. Almost any interview of his will contain one of those three words. Which is why I find it funny how he can stay silent when one of his chief employees is charged with harassment.
Old 11th April 2007, 04:12   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, none of us are perfect. But when someone figures in public, and willingly at that, he is open to criticism of almost any kind. NRN portrays himself who prides values, morals and ethics over all else. Almost any interview of his will contain one of those three words. Which is why I find it funny how he can stay silent when one of his chief employees is charged with harassment.
Possibly....I would like to think that is! Narayan Murthy wanted to save his foreign guests/Interns of a ritual which is not a direct concern or intrest to them(Foreign'ers),and decided to deal with it this way!

Rest assured his PR team will lead him into a very convincing statement in near future.TOI..sigh i think it is better for you look into thier journalistic credentials in the past so forget them.

I have only one picking here-Infosys is a Global giant with the whole worlds focus on them,they have those Interns/students here to learn the secret of the "Great Indian" IT mantra! What they learn and see is what they are going to speak on return,

AND all Nations have pride in their countries,which is generally represented by their National Anthem...No compromises here. Mr Narayan Murthy's Statements cannot be mis-interpreted of understood by anyone including mental cases as anything else!

So basically as Indians we are outraged and for the foreigner's we are a joke--A person who advocates compromise in respect off a countries National anthem for convinience of a Human being!!

Considering people give up lives on the border for the same cause,For our Flag and Anthem. Narayan murthy can ask XYZ to spit on Infosys or do anything like that..to suit the visitors convinience,he represents the company,it is not our Look out.

But India does not belong to him,he cannot give such "passes" to anyone...Not when the he knows a part of the world is watching India through Infosys.

Last edited by Desert fox : 11th April 2007 at 04:15.
Old 11th April 2007, 06:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

I think it was merely an unfortunate choice of words. What he was probably trying to convey was that given the language differences, the instrumental version was more appropriate - and there's nothing in that, really.
Mediapersons have been getting a little hyper in trying to create controversy where none exists. I remember the NDTV crew seeming incredulous, almost, that one of the Ktka ministers had "reacted softly" to the Cauvery tribunal's verdict, in what almost seemed like an attempt to get him to say something 'newsworthy'.
Aside: As a people, we seem to have become less flexible and seem to be taking umbrage collectively at the slightest provocation. Are we really transforming into a permanently 'angry' nation ?

Last edited by zenx : 11th April 2007 at 06:46.
Old 11th April 2007, 09:00   #59
BHPian

IT czar Narayana Murthy apologises

Express India Link:
[COLOR=#333333]IT czar Narayana Murthy apologises[/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]Bangalore, April 10: Chief Mentor of Infosys Technologies Limited N R Narayana Murthy said he ‘deeply apologises’ if his media statement on the issue of playing the national anthem during President A P J Abdul Kalam's recent visit to the company's Mysore campus, has hurt anybody's sentiments. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][/FONT][FONT=Arial][/FONT]"If the media statement has hurt anybody's sentiments, I deeply apologise," Murthy said in a statement.
"We played the instrumental version of the national anthem so that we could all sing along, and all of us did so. We wished to share the pride of being an Indian in the gracious presence of our President. We are informed that this is as per protocol," he said in the statement.
Murthy had said at a press meet--in response to a question--after Kalam's April 8 visit that singing the national anthem would have ‘embarrassed’ company employees of foreign origin, remarks which evoked a strong reaction from some quarters.

"We have always kept the interest of India foremost in our minds and our work speaks for itself," he said in Tuesday's statement. "We are a proud Indian company, with strong universal ethos of transparency, accountability and honesty. It has always been our endeavour to represent India with the highest standards of respect and enable it to take its rightful place in the world economy," Murthy said.
Old 11th April 2007, 10:49   #60
BHPian

IMHO , this issue is getting blown up. Majority of the people dont care about the National Anthem. Please dont pounce on me. I am not accusing any one here. I am quoting this because of what I observed recently. I had been to Frank Anthony's Public School annual day function last week.(My kid was performing a small dance during the function) . His was the last performance and after that they announced they will be singing the National Anthem. We are supposed to stand in attention or at least stand during the recital. I could see parents just getting up and leaving during the recital. Some in cars and some by walk. Then there was another announcement that we are supposed to stand where we are when the National Anthem was sung. It is not that no one is aware of this , nobody cares.

Best regards
Deepu

So what if NRN did what he has done. He has apologized for this.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks