Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2007, 14:37   #1
BHPian

NRN emabrassed by our national anthem !

NRN of Infosys

" "We had arranged for five people to sing the anthem. But then we cancelled it as we have foreigners onboard here. They should not be embarrassed while we sing the anthem," said Infosys chief mentor Narayana Murthy."

National anthem could make foreigners at Infy uneasy: NRN - Deccan Herald - Internet Edition

There was no singing of National Anthem when president Kalam visited , Infy Mysore .

And NRN is supposed to be a candidate to be our next president

Why should any one be emabarassed if the Indian national anthem is sung in presence of Indian president in Mysore , India ?

If he has no respect for India and its symbols , He will lose respect from Indians who love their country IMO.

as an ardent admirer of NRN all along , I find this incident shameful to say the least.
Old 10th April 2007, 14:40   #2
BHPian

I hope this is a false story. I never expected this from him !
Old 10th April 2007, 14:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

The article mentions the foreign nationals who probably did not know the anthem getting embarrassed (for reasons i do not know), it does not say anything about NRN being embarrassed, atleast thats what i understand from the above quote.
Title should probably be 'foreign nationals could be embarrased' o something.

manson.
Old 10th April 2007, 14:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
I hope this is a false story. I never expected this from him !
It is not a false story..has been picked up by local kannada media since yesterday..only TOI bangalore is trying to whitewash the incident by not reporting it.

And the link is to Deccan herald internet edition of yesterday..you can check it out.
Old 10th April 2007, 14:45   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
It is not a false story..has been picked up by local kannada media since yesterday..only TOI bangalore is trying to whitewash the incident by not reporting it.

And the link is to Deccan herald internet edition of yesterday..you can check it out.
I know it is true and was not challenging you.
But felt/hoped it was false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
The article mentions the foreign nationals who probably did not know the anthem getting embarrassed (for reasons i do not know), it does not say anything about NRN being embarrassed, atleast thats what i understand from the above quote.
Title should probably be 'foreign nationals could be embarrased' o something.

manson.
thats does not justify that NRN should have skipped National Anthem just to please foreigners because they moolah to Infy.

Last edited by adya33 : 10th April 2007 at 16:38.
Old 10th April 2007, 14:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

When i was studying at a so-called Indian school in Dubai (CBSE affiliated), we used to sing the UAE national anthem everyday, and the indian national anthem on Wednesdays. There were many students from diverse ethnical backgrounds there, but that did not make one feel ashamed to sing the Indian National anthem.

I respect NRN, but somehow, this leaves poor taste.
Old 10th April 2007, 14:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

But, whats the point in singing national anthem when there is no necessity. Having the president around does not mean you have to sing the national anthem. It is best sung in traditional national & international events sponsored or conducted by the Govt., that is not to say that the anthem could not be sung in private functions. But why such a hue & cry for something that need not be done in the first place.
Old 10th April 2007, 15:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

It wont be long before a certain "mannina maga" D Gowda makes a political issue out of this
Old 10th April 2007, 15:03   #9
BHPian

I dont see anything wrong here. Corps. like Infy are truly transnational; they probably have foreigners on their payroll, not just as clients. Patriotism doesnt need to be worn on the sleeve. This is a non-issue.
Old 10th April 2007, 15:03   #10
Team-BHP Support

@E_L : It wasnt really required to have the national anthem played here... but when you are going through the efforts of having it, why make it a damp squib?
Old 10th April 2007, 15:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

I feel, they must have goofed up singing the National Anthem. When queried by media, NRN must have apologised. Instead he justfied it and gave a lame excuse. Btw, according report, it was only Kalam who sang with enthusiasm.

Though other newspapers reported this, TOI completely ignored this.

More here: 'Jana gana mana' makes foreigners uneasy: NRN « churumuri

Last edited by msdivy : 10th April 2007 at 15:07.
Old 10th April 2007, 15:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
But, whats the point in singing national anthem when there is no necessity. Having the president around does not mean you have to sing the national anthem. It is best sung in traditional national & international events sponsored or conducted by the Govt., that is not to say that the anthem could not be sung in private functions. But why such a hue & cry for something that need not be done in the first place.

but one has to be careful about people sentiments. Infy should not have planned to sing it. They planned it and then dropped the idea. I think they must be aware of their attendees which includes foreigners.
Old 10th April 2007, 15:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

How do you know there was any efforts of having it ? this could have been a mere suggestion by a bloke who wanted publicity or money & reported as if the idea has been put off. We can hardly go by what is being reported in the news these days. It takes one jig at a famous person to spoil & corrupt his name & to make a newspaper/channel popular.
Old 10th April 2007, 15:19   #14
Team-BHP Support

E_L has a point there.
However, in today's world, we can trust no one.
Old 10th April 2007, 15:25   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Having the president around does not mean you have to sing the national anthem.

It does. As per the protocol , All functions graced by the President of India , have to begin and end with the national anthem.

If NRN was so embarassed, he need not have invited Kalam. Then he could have sung the star spangled banner for all we care.

Insult to the president of India is an insult to all Indians IMO.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks