Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 14:54   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yippie - reverse horns = illegal

Recently i witnessed a "learner" learning or practicing to reverse the car near my place, oh yes with the "reverse" horn blaring!!!!
Old 6th May 2011, 15:07   #62
BHPian

On the contrary dont you guys think this is quite useful in crowded areas where people are least bothered about surroundings ? It once happened to my cousin that he was walking to our vehicle in the parking lot, donno who failed to notice whom, but a Safari banged him while reversing. In this situation, if the Safari had to have a reverse horn, maybe my cousin would have been alerted.

Yeah i dont recommend loud ones but a medium sounding/non-irritating device should be fine, right ?

This is just my opinion, I maybe wrong.
Old 6th May 2011, 15:28   #63
BHPian

There is this third key(one with a * sign) on my basic autocop system which allows me to manually turn my reverse horns on/off. However, it has to be engaged every time after shifting to reverse to turn off the sound.
Old 6th May 2011, 15:54   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
It once happened to my cousin that he was walking to our vehicle in the parking lot, donno who failed to notice whom, but a Safari banged him while reversing. In this situation, if the Safari had to have a reverse horn, maybe my cousin would have been alerted.
And what if your cousin was banged by a Safari while it was moving forward ? Would you suggest people to install a forward alarm in their vehicles to alert the pedestrains ?

Accidents are caused by negligence of drivers and pedestrains, alarms are of no use. I have seen stubborn pedestrians who won't move inspite of loud alarms. It is better to install reverse camera/sensors is rear visibility is an issue.

Can't the horn be used to alert pedestrians, if required, instead of having an always on alarm which only causes nuisance to neighbours at odd hours.

Rohan
Old 6th May 2011, 15:59   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
There is this third key(one with a * sign) on my basic autocop system which allows me to manually turn my reverse horns on/off. However, it has to be engaged every time after shifting to reverse to turn off the sound.
^^^ agreed. In my car remote system (Scorpio brand from the same makers as Autocop), a silent unlock (* + unlock) mutes all sound operations till a regular lock or unlock is performed.

In the Nippon system of my Estilo, there is no provision to use the siren for reverse horn purposes. A separate reverse horn has to be installed for that purpose.

Last edited by mmxylorider : 6th May 2011 at 16:01.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:40   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
And what if your cousin was banged by a Safari while it was moving forward ? Would you suggest people to install a forward alarm in their vehicles to alert the pedestrains ?

Accidents are caused by negligence of drivers and pedestrains, alarms are of no use. I have seen stubborn pedestrians who won't move inspite of loud alarms. It is better to install reverse camera/sensors is rear visibility is an issue.

Can't the horn be used to alert pedestrians, if required, instead of having an always on alarm which only causes nuisance to neighbors at odd hours.

Rohan
My point was never about who is right or who is wrong. Its all about being safe on road all that I was trying to convey here is a Reverse Horn within acceptable sound limits can be a safety device.

Most of the neighbors you are talking about will you if you run over a peacefully sleeping dog while reversing, which could have beeen avoided by one of the reverse aiding devices.

Remember this thread was started during 2007 cameras and sensors were not so popular then...
Old 6th May 2011, 21:25   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
On the contrary dont you guys think this is quite useful in crowded areas where people are least bothered about surroundings ?

Yeah i dont recommend loud ones but a medium sounding/non-irritating device should be fine, right ?
Quote:

Rohan
I quite agree with Rohan here. Getting back to your post, 2500cc, are there medium sounding ones? All that I have heard are highly irritating, high pitched sounds. People who feel compelled to use reverse horns, maybe because they are inattentive, lazy or whatever, should use discretion and use it only in noisy parking lots, like markets. That's the only place I can think of where its use can be mildly justified.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:38   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, what?

If the vehicle is moving forward, the driver can see what is ahead of him with his eyes, which are always functioning in the forward direction anyways.

The reason for additional precautions (and also the reason people install rear parking sensors) is because it is simply more difficult to be apprised of objects/people to the reverse of the vehicle.

So, yes, a low-volume reverse horn is definitely handy and good for safety.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:45   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliper View Post
Sorry, what?

If the vehicle is moving forward, the driver can see what is ahead of him with his eyes, which are always functioning in the forward direction anyways.

The reason for additional precautions (and also the reason people install rear parking sensors) is because it is simply more difficult to be apprised of objects/people to the reverse of the vehicle.

So, yes, a low-volume reverse horn is definitely handy and good for safety.
I wrote that in a sarcastic manner. Don't take it literally.

A low volume reverse horn would not be effective as it won't be audible on busy roads.

All I'm trying to say is that there is a good reason why these reverse horns are illegal, they contribute to sound pollution and are an unnecessary nuisance, especially if they don't have a selectable on/off feature.

Instead of relying on reverse horns, driver should take the necessary precaution while reversing the vehicle and do it very slowly so as to not hurt anyone/anything that might be present behind the vehicle.

Revere lights are already present in all vehicles, which indicate that the vehicle is reversing. If required, hazard lights can also be used to alert others about your intention to reverse the vehicle. My personal experience is that if people behind the vehicle can't/don't notice reverse light and hazard light, they are not likely to move even with the reverse horn.

The best approach would be to install reverse camera/sensors, especially for bigger vehicles with poor rear visibility.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks