Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2021, 22:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Our journey with Ovarian Cancer

I was thinking for some time as to should I start a topic like this on an automotive forum or not, but ultimately I decided to start it, maybe it can help somebody or maybe it can help us in someway with more advices or course corrections if needed. Please bear with me as I have written quite a bit in detail of the whole ordeal till now.

So let me start with a little back story to know us better. We are a family of 3, mom, dad and me, very close knit and like best friends. I am 35 years old, my dad is 70 and my mom is 62. We go on road trips together, we have our share of fun together at home and they know everything going on in my life like a friend would. Our Swift diesel is the 4th member of our family and we have practically seen the country together, all of us. I was planning on getting married this year and with that add one more member in our A team but now I am not even thinking about all that.

My mom has never had any health issues ever other than the blood pressure that she has since 2 decades but that was soon to change. We went to Junagadh at the first week of June and stayed over at a hotel this time instead of our cousins place due to covid. We went to places around, sorted the business that we went there for and were having a merry time until one-day mom told dad that she has an unusual brownish discharge. My dad being the careful person that he is, he immediately called my cousin in Junagadh who took my mom the very same day to a doctor and he touched my mother’s stomach and suspected something, a sonography was done and ovarian cancer was suspected which the CT scan confirmed the next day.
Suddenly our world turned upside down, I just could not stop crying at the news of my best friend, my confidant, my world, my everything being detected with such a grave illness but we had to buck ourselves up and have a plan of action and we had to have it soon. My dad put up a brave face but I know he was heartbroken from inside.

My dad’s best friend whom he has known 50+ years of his life is a pediatric surgeon in Nasik and has been practicing since 35-40 years there and is a big name in his field due to experience and the good work that he does. He has doctor friends from all types of field possible and we needed to get more tests, scans, doctors shown to asap so that the treatment can start, so to make it faster for us rather than wait for endless appointments in Mumbai, we decided to go to Nasik. On the 3rd day after the diagnoses, we left from Junagadh for Nasik, a long 800 kilometer drive which had to be done in the same day as I was in no mood to waste even a day to the final goal of what treatment to start with. We reached late in the night to Nasik with the last 150-200 kilometers of the roads practically just being ghats from Dharampur to Peth to Nasik.

Day 4th, we visited a doctor and he suggested some tests which was biopsy, PET scan and a heart checkup after looking at the CT and Sonography results we had done in Junagadh. Biopsy results confirmed cancer with CA125 being 130 and PET scan showed the extent of the disease which was in 3rd stage. The results take some days to come but on the 6th day we had a preliminary report in hand after which we visited another doctor who would recommend the chemo cycles/doses and on the 7th day after her diagnoses her chemo was on in the form of Paclitaxel and Carboplatin which were to be spread over 2 days because the doctors did not know how my mom would react to the chemo. Also her heart checkup revealed that she had a silent heart attack at some point in her life had her heart was only functioning at 45-50%. This would play a big role during surgery is what doctor said.

7-8th day were chemo’s and she took them in fine and we stayed in Nasik for 2 days more to see if she had any sides, but she had none other than a little tiredness which was expected. On the 11th day after he diagonsis we left for Mumbai and were going to return back to Nasik after every 21 days as my mom was the most comfortable with Babu Uncle (My dad’s friend around) as she felt whatever happened, he would handle it as we were going to be living at their place too, but life is not that simple right?

After reaching Mumbai, 3 days later she started vomiting, diarrhea and food intake stopped to 0. The sides had started late but they had started in full force. 2 days of continuous vomiting and diarrhea and she landed in a hospital next to our house for 10 days with hemoglobin down to 5, WBC down to 500 and proteins down to next to nothing. 10 days of drips and grafeel injections got her back on track a bit and we got her home. Her 2nd chemo cycle timeline had to be pushed by 8 days until she recovered but chemo had to be given if we had to beat the cancer.

2nd cycle had the dose reduced by 25 percent. Blood checkup before the chemo revealed that her albumin was 2.7, it needed to be minimum at 3.5. Sonography was done too before the 2nd cycle and the tumors had reduced by around 2 inches, which was proof that chemo was working. 2 bottles of albumin spread over 2 days was given after which the 2nd chemo cycle started which was again spread over 2 days. This time, we stayed back for 5-6 days in Nasik and my mom behaved like water had gone inside her vein instead of chemo, no sides, nothing, she started losing her hair though. She had got her nutrition part in order 10 days before we started to Nasik before the 2nd Chemo, her diet was as follows.

1) Wheat grass/Alovera Powder – 1 glass of this early morning
2) Ginger/Turmeric/Lemon mixed in hot water – 1 glass after an interval of half an hour after the first item on the list
3) Chai half a glass with no sugar
4) Nestle High Protein (5 scoops) Glass in Bulls Milk
5) Lunch
6) 125-150 grams panner late afternoon
7) One Glass of Juice which had (Apple, Carrot, Beetroot, Pomegranate, Dudhi, Dragonfruit, Kiwi)
8) Dinner
9) Nestle High Protein(5 scoops) Glass in bulls milk

This really got her back on her feet. After we reached Mumbai after 2nd Chemo her diet continued as mentioned above. After 21 days we again went back to Nasik for her 3rd chemo, a full dose was given and again it had no effect on her other than she lost most of her hair and had become little irritated by nature. We also had visited an Ayurveda doctor in Palghar and he had got some medicine which needed to be boiled and the left over liquid drank 3 times a day, we started on that too. What's the harm in trying some complimentary treatment?

We visited Tata Memorial for a 2nd opinion as surgery is the cornerstone of making a recovery or having a relapse and we wanted to take an opinion for that. We waited for a few hours and met a doctor who suggested some tests which included CA125, CA19 and some blood, ECG and Xrays which we got done the very same day at Tatas. CECT of Thorax, Abdomen and Pelvis was also asked but it had a huge waiting so we requested them that this would be done from outside and they were okay with that. Also my mom’s block that was taken during biopsy was submitted at Tata’s as they do their own finding with that and don’t accept outside results.

CA125 on the 11th day after the 3rd Chemo was 14. This according to me is good news and the doctor in Nasik felt the same. It meant the chemo has worked its magic. Tomorrow we are going to do a CECT scan as asked by the Tata doctor and I already feel nervous, tensed and what not. I believe the CA125 result going down from 130 to 14 would have definitely reduced the tumors but experts here from the field can comment on that or I can wait for the results but if someone told me before that, I would heave a sigh of relief.

The next steps according to the doctors in Tata as well as Nasik is that if the tumors have reduced enough, debulking would be performed, if not a 4th chemo would be given and then debulking performed. The most difficult part of the journey I feel is the surgery and I am getting sleepless nights just thinking about it.

My mom on the other hand is as chill as ever. She watches stuff on her phone, eats, sleeps, watches tv, works in the kitchen sometimes, chats up with her friends, reads news paper, has some banter with dad throughout the day and basically is happy. Over the weekend that passed by, she asked me to take her on a drive to Nariman Point and Walkeshwar like old times where in every weekend I would take her for a drive on this circuit.

I don't know how its going to be as days pass but I am taking each day as it comes with the challenges that it brings along. On the face my dad and me are all happy and smiling but deep inside we are scared as hell. Both of us have lost 4-5 kgs even though we are eating normally, the stress is immense.

Last edited by humyum : 6th October 2021 at 22:18.
humyum is online now   (179) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 22:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Our journey with Ovarian Cancer

Each day is a blessing. Spend it like how she wants you to spend it. Never give a chance to regret not doing something. You make sure you do everything that will make you not regret the time you have to spend with her. Past cannot be changed, future cannot be planned for and current is what you have in hand. Enjoy the smallest of things and create as many memories as you can. Every day counts.
VW2010 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 23:13   #3
BHPian

@humyum I am sorry to hear all this but would surely pray for your mother. Prayers work wonders and am sure your mother will get well soon.

I was really moved by your post and suddenly realised how easy we take for granted the time we spend with our parents.

God bless your mother with good health and long life. Keep your spirits high, a little bit of meditation will help all of you. My best wishes and convey my regards to your mother.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 23:33   #4
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Dude - I’ve PM’ed you, pls get in touch. Definitely help is possible.
RJK is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 23:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for sharing this journey with us. Praying for your family to keep their strength, and for your mom to her quick and safe recovery.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 06:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post

My mom has never had any health issues ever other than the blood pressure that she has since 2 decades but that was soon to change. We went to Junagadh at the first week of June and stayed over at a hotel this time instead of our cousins place due to covid. We went to places around, sorted the business that we went there for and were having a merry time until one-day mom told dad that she has an unusual brownish discharge. My dad being the careful person that he is, he immediately called my cousin in Junagadh who took my mom the very same day to a doctor and he touched my mother’s stomach and suspected something, a sonography was done and ovarian cancer was suspected which the CT scan confirmed the next day.
Suddenly our world turned upside down, I just could not stop crying at the news of my best friend, my confidant, my world, my everything being detected with such a grave illness but we had to buck ourselves up and have a plan of action and we had to have it soon. My dad put up a brave face but I know he was heartbroken from inside.

Really sorry to hear about the situation you're going through. I went through the same thing 3 years ago, except the cancer my mother was diagnosed with was Esophageal(food pipe) Carcinoma(Stage 2A) with 18% overall survival rate.
Treatment started in Mumbai. My mother too received the same dose of chemo with 21 days cycle. No radiation therapy was performed. The 3-phase radical esophagectomy was performed after 3 weeks of the last cycle. The surgery was very complicated and lasted 6 hours. Soon after surgery she had dangerously low levels of potassium and magnesium, which messed up her heart rhythm and she had a cardiac arrest, we almost lost her. In the matter of 3 months, due to immense stress and running around, I lost 12 kgs of weight, my mom lost 24 kgs mostly due to the radical surgery.

As of today, she is doing good, although she has barely gained any weight back, but has regained most of her strength. We have taken 5-6 roads trips to the places she always wanted to visit . You can PM me anytime, I would be happy to help.
Mach_1590 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 09:23   #7
BHPian

Re: Our journey with Ovarian Cancer

Quote:
4) Nestle High Protein (5 scoops) Glass in Bulls Milk

9) Nestle High Protein(5 scoops) Glass in bulls milk

I hope that your mother recovers soon.

What is bulls milk? I did a quick search and found only recipes for a cocktail of the same name,
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 09:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
What is bulls milk? I did a quick search and found only recipes for a cocktail of the same name,
He might have meant buffalo milk, which supposedly has more protein content than cow milk.

@humyum - From your description, your mother seems to be a fighter; am sure she will be fit & fine soon. Wish you and your family all the best!

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th October 2021 at 09:29.
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 09:43   #9
BHPian

Wish your mother a speedy recovery. My extended Family members had their share of 4th stage Cancers and they are doing well now after being cured. But the Post Cancer recovery is a very long process.

Your strength matters the most. Your Dad would be broken from inside but will not show it outside. Thats what Dads are. God bless you all Mate. Take care of your Mom and Dad. My prayers with you so you get to see a day when you add a 5th member to your family and you all go for a trip.
dsuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 10:28   #10
BHPian

I'm really sorry to know about your plight. You and your dad should do every thing possible to boost up her confidence. Don't worry-She'll recover soon. She will be in our prayers too.
Rajjay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 10:44   #11

Quote:
I was thinking for some time as to should I start a topic like this on an automotive forum or not, but ultimately I decided to start it, maybe it can help somebody or maybe it can help us in someway with more advices or course corrections if needed. Please bear with me as I have written quite a bit in detail of the whole ordeal till now.

I don't know how its going to be as days pass but I am taking each day as it comes with the challenges that it brings along. On the face my dad and me are all happy and smiling but deep inside we are scared as hell. Both of us have lost 4-5 kgs even though we are eating normally, the stress is immense.
Thanks for taking courage in writing this post and letting us have a share of what you're going through right now.

From the bottom of my heart I pray the Lord Almighty to give your mother all the strength to withstand the side effects of those powerful drugs. I also pray that the Lord gives you and your father strength and comfort to overcome this situation.

I know what it feels like knowing someone you love going through such terrible health problems. Chemo's will take toll on the body, diet plays a major role in preparing for the future chemo sessions.

I'm 33 and my wife 30 years of age is diagnosed with Stage 3 GTN (high-risk gestational trophoblastic neoplasia) post molar pregnancy (our first pregnancy and we lost our child in April). She took 5 cycles of Methotrexate and Leucovorin and then became resistant to it and cancer cells had spread to her lungs and liver. Now she's on 5th cycle of EMA-CO (Etoposide, Methotrexate, Actinomycin D, Cyclophosphamide, Vincristine). She's showing recovery and we're expecting at least 3 more cycles of EMA-CO.

Stay strong. You play a major role here. Don't lose hope at all. Give time for the treatment, everything will come back to normal.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do."

May God bless you and your family dear brother. Take care. From now on, I will remember you in my prayers.

If there's something I can be of help to you. Please feel free to leave a message.
chiyaanchinnu is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 11:45   #12
BHPian

Wishing your mother a speedy recovery my friend. Stay strong.

My prayers with you.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 12:57   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My mom on the other hand is as chill as ever.
Thats the greatest asset during such times, isn't it? She'll pull through this. Dont worry.

Can totally relate to your pain. I'm also ~35, we're a family of four and my mother has been fighting Multiple Myeloma from the past couple of years. No history of any medical problems and parents were just starting to travel post retirement - and then cancer hit.

If anything has continued to amaze me all this while - it is her courage and attitude that has been pulling all of us through this. I guess that matters more - even more than modern medicines or good doctors.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 15:03   #14
AZT
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. Shall pray for your mom's speedy recovery. I lost an uncle to cancer recently and it was a long tough struggle his last few months. This is one disease I wouldn't wish on anyone.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 15:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey @humyum, sad to know that your mum is not keeping in the best of health & I wish her a speedy recovery. Loved to read that she is chill as ever in this new challenge.

I'll try to resonate a bit with your story here. I'm 36. My maternal grand-mother unfortunately succumbed to ovarian cancer when I was in class X. This was mainly due to a very late identification back in those days. However - my mum also got diagnosed with the same disorder of Ovarian cancer just about 5-6 years later. Around 2005.

Just like your mother - she kept chin up & was outwardly chill! Went through the chemo cycles and surgery as if it was routine. And here we are - 16 odd years on, all going well. She recovered fully, followed the prescribed care & health regimes, and was back to pre-Cancer lifestyle within 2 years from initial diagnosis. We've pretty much forgotten about that phase since some years.

Things do get challenging of course. Back in those days, the God's hadn't yet opened our books of financial blessings and I have seen my father really tough days. Takes true grit, and someone at the home always has it!

Take care, stay positive & motivated. Its a challenge that has to be taken head on, collectively by you guys. And never hesitate to seek help. Its always around the corner. Once again, wish you guys a quick return to normal routine!
Reinhard is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks