Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2022, 20:53   #16
BANNED

Re: Your views about Shark Tank India

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
You do know the channel which it is on right? If sun tv or something wants to make their version for regional audiences, they are free to make it. Don't we see Bigg Boss Kannada and such? I am not sure why the hate against Hindi. Also having a show in hindi guarantees wider audience reach. For it to be in English, it should have been on star World or some sort of english only channel which it is not.
The point is whether it makes sense to discuss regional language shows in an English only forum. I have mentioned it applies to all regional language serials and not wrt Hindi alone. A lot of folks would not understand if we discuss incidents that happen on Bigg Boss Kannada on team bhp so the discussion can only be partaken by those who understand Kannada. So if we discuss shows other than English, it would not be possible for all to participate in the discussion.

Last edited by EV NXT : 29th January 2022 at 21:03.
EV NXT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 10:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
The point is whether it makes sense to discuss regional language shows in an English only forum. I have mentioned it applies to all regional language serials and not wrt Hindi alone. A lot of folks would not understand if we discuss incidents that happen on Bigg Boss Kannada on team bhp so the discussion can only be partaken by those who understand Kannada. So if we discuss shows other than English, it would not be possible for all to participate in the discussion.
Do we really need this discussion? Shark Tank India is a show that is meant for “Indian” entrepreneurs to pitch their ideas, and has got nothing to do with which language they speak. There are entrepreneurs from different parts of the country who have come and pitched, and it is a national level show. If it were to be Shark Tank - UP, or Shark Tank - Delhi, then your point is valid. The chosen language of broadcast is Hindi simply because of how many people understand the language in our country.

PS: I am a proper Kannadiga and a “Kannada-premi” as we say it here, but this above argument of yours is splitting hairs to make a point.
nTorq is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 10:35   #18
BHPian

Saw a couple of episodes but was utterly disappointed with the crass way judges behave. The judges too have a long way to go, some sobs are outright wrong in putting others down. To say yes or no for an investment is their right but putting others down who are just starting up is a real shame. I guess the show would be a great minus the dramatics music and having judges with a bit of empathy.
pandabear is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 10:48   #19
BHPian

I have watched most of the Sharktank Australia episodes, some dragon den & Sharktank US as well. I have watched all Sharktank India episodes as well.
One observation which I could make was that most of the Indian pitches are good as far as profitability is concerned, only those ideas which has some traction in market are chosen. Many businesses are not scalable, but beside the scalability issue, the business in itself is profitable most of the time, very few worthless ideas are pitched in comparison to other countries.
The direction taken by most entrepreneurs are in the right direction. Very few extremely debt ridden proposals, few non-sensical ideas. Show showcased some great entrepreneurial talent. My favorite entrepreneurs are Yarn-bazaar & Skippi pops founders. It bodes well for the future of the country, better quality content for the youngsters when compared to bigg boss, roadies etc.

Last edited by gauravanekar : 30th January 2022 at 10:49.
gauravanekar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 11:09   #20
BHPian

One thing I really would like is the future strategies of growth. The US Sharks always talk about how they would make it a multi million dollar business. The Indian ones are loose ended.

Also I see a lot of money talk. Hardly the basis for valuation is discussed.

Some reason the US show has a purpose which I find missing. As in a recent economic times editorial, making losses is becoming a qualification for high valuation. I just hope logic and reality stays in the show.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 11:38   #21
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
It bodes well for the future of the country, better quality content for the youngsters when compared to bigg boss, roadies etc.
Growing up, watched Mahabharat and Ramayan and those are etched in memory, it is another form of saying that the lessons are also etched in memory.

While walking, came across a group of 8-10 year olds discussing the show, discussing terms referred in the show etc. Heard them out and it was indeed amazing for such a thing to happen especially when their minds have a huge exposure to addictive content including apps and gaming. It is another equally substantial matter that the 60 year olds were also discussing it

If the show continues to being produced properly, this will indeed have a great and positive impact on entire society. Excellent beginnings...

Last edited by One : 30th January 2022 at 11:40.
One is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 11:51   #22
BHPian

I would like to share my thoughts on one buisness proposal shown on Shark tank India and compare it with how the Sharks from Shark tank US behaviour. The India version had a product called Wakao- jackfruit based food product. The idea was the texture and spice mixture would attract the vegans and non vegetarian who have turned into vegetarian. The entrepreneur presented some of the recipies and one judge just started comparing it with real meat and how it is no where near real meat. I mean the pitch was clear it saying that it's a substitute in terms of texture. The 3 female sharks were all interested in the idea but unlike the US show they failed to mentioned how their respective expertise is going to help take the idea D2C. In the US shark tank when multiple are interested they too start pitching why they are better shark. The India show has better ideas( even from the % point of view) the dramatisation, gives it feel of daily soap opera( no offense to anyone, just my personal views). Maybe more humble approach from the sharks, less dramatic music would take the show a long way..
Laidbackakki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 11:56   #23
BHPian

I don't know if anyone remembers but if my memory serves right, long back, may be very early 2000 or end of 90s there was a similar show on zee where people would pitch ideas and get investments.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 11:57   #24
BHPian

Shark Tank is a good series be it US, India or Australia. I had watched almost all episodes of US when I was down with Covid in May. There is lot in common amongst them.

1. Ideas can be pretty ordinary or obnoxious but if its generating enough revenue and profits then sharks do get interested.
2. Contrary to above point sharks do pass on some rude comments on equally ordinary ideas just because they are not generating revenue.
3. Some common terminologies used are scalability, product differentiation, lack of vision, too many SKUs etc. All these again get sidelined if business is generating good revenue.
4. Some actually good ideas do not get funded because of no revenue. Peeyush Bansal does show interest in them. He portrays himself more of vision oriented entrepreneur who is there to solve problems.

I just wish there were more seasoned entrepreneurs in Indian version. Would be interesting to see their perspective.
Maverick Avi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 12:16   #25
BHPian

I'm not an avid follower of shark tank per say. Used to watch Dragon's den episodes every now and then on Facebook. But when I came to know that my colleague's husband is pitching his startup in Shark Tank India, got really intrigued and gave it a shot.

The startup is named Brainwired. It's a Kochi based company that deals with livestock monitoring systems. Met the co-founder Mr Sreeshankar a couple of times and it was quite an enlightening experience to hear about his entrepreneurial journey so far. So many notions about startups that I had etched in my mind got restructured during our conversation. Coming to Shark Tank, I think it's a great program to enlighten many aspiring entrepreneurs. Sure, the music and implementation of the show could have been a little less dramatic, and the set could have been a bit less dance-floorey. But these might be important elements that the general public might find entertaining and thus increasing the reach of the show to the masses. Coming to Brainwired, they were already an adequately funded startup even before pitching in Shark Tank. They got a funding of Rs 60 lakhs from the show. But even better, once they were featured in the program, their visibility in the business world exploded. They are planning to shift their operations from Kerala to Pune and en route to expansion outside the country is what I hear. The show has provided them with visibility and credibility for even bigger sharks to bet their money on them with faith.
GKR9900 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 13:23   #26
BHPian

I echo the opinion expressed earlier that this resembles Big Boss. Nothing against both. Just that they could have made it somewhat like KBC, this giving it a broader appeal.
dsr001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 13:41   #27
BHPian

Quite anti-climactic that one the sharks who is giving money to ideas in the show is himself getting probed for financial fraud.
nerdgalore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 13:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I just wish there were more seasoned entrepreneurs in Indian version. Would be interesting to see their perspective.
Completely agree with this point and at the same time meaning no disrespect to the current sharks. The way I look at it is ' all the current sharks haved toiled and made their businesses a success"

But my wishlist includes Ratan Tata and Anand Mahindra (the Mahindra Rise is an awesome platform) as Sharks. It would be interesting to have their perspective. Maybe Indianise the show even more and have them as super sharks😅😅
Laidbackakki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 13:47   #29
BHPian

The idea of shark tank is great but somehow the Indian version looks just like an interpretation of our dance show programmes where its mostly about cheap entertainment, over the top judges and emotional ‘atyachaar’.
It feels great to see awesome ideas coming through in various fields but the implementation looks crass, lacking professionalism.
Old 30th January 2022, 13:48   #30
BHPian

Shark Tank and BBC's Dragon's Den are very entertaining, and also very informative for new entrepreneurs. The questions Dragons or Sharks ask entrepreneurs are a great crash course in what metrics matter in business.

Having said that, celebrity entrepreneurs 'naming the price' of your blood and sweat is not something everyone can digest. Fundraising in general is a 'tricky' business, pun intended.

Shark Tank India in particular is good for the entrepreneurial ecosystem in India, primarily for its educational value, in my opinion.
sandeep.menon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks