Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2022, 14:01   #31
BHPian

Re: Your views about Shark Tank India

While i agree with the cons you mentioned, you have to see the bigger picture. We are not the target audience but the other 90% of India is. You and I and people on this thread are familiar with shows of the west and the quality, less dramatics, more realistic scenes and so on but majority of India isn't.

Is it bad? Not at all.

"When in Rome, do as Romans do."

Making the show like this has enable it to enage with a wide spectrum of people. The other day i was visiting my aunt's place which has 3 generations of people living under one roof (aunt's father in law, aunt and uncle and my cousins).
The entire family was sitting in the living room watching Sharktank.

The grandfather was explaining to the kids how the funding would be spread across by calculating the percentage from the valuation and my uncle and aunt were discussing how that particular pitch wasn't good enough.

^This right here is what shark tank india has done. It has made terms and concepts like venture capitalism a household name. Imagine the kind of exposure it is going to give a the younger audience who barely ever see innovation and thinking out of the box appriciated.

I think it's fitting for India; What we think is mature is actually disconnected from the real scenario altogether.
DeepCarTalk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 15:06   #32
BHPian

I have been fan of Shark Tank US for many years now and watched it regularly on TV. I have also watched almost all episodes of Dragon's Den available on YT. Watched some episodes of Shark Tank Australia and didn't find it interesting or I was bored watching the same thing again and again. Hence didn't plan to watch the Indian version. Since I don't have India TV channels subscribed at home, it was easier to skip.

Due to the long weekend in Singapore, I binged Shark Tank India episodes available on YT and was surprised with the show. They have made a good first attempt to explain the show to the masses. Some of the criticism online is uncalled for and my two cents on the points being criticized are below
- A Shark breaking the 4th wall explaining the terms felt weird at first but its needed to give the discussion a context for an average viewer who doesn't understand EBITA, QSR, D2C etc.
- Some feel its over the top like the music and set, I feel its not too far off, there is some scope for improvement. We have to accept that the concept couldn't be a straight lift and shift, it needed some Indian touches which they have done.
- As someone pointed out above, in the other shows the Shark's or Dragons where center stage, in the Indian version they have tried to elevate the location as place of significance too. Which I feel it is, as every brand showcased on the show will get free prime time marketing for 15 odd mins which will directly result in sales although for few short weeks, then its on the product. Its just like Chrome on Indian cars, we Bhp'ians don't like it but most of the junta does.
- Sharks being rude or obnoxious is their personality, some are likeable (Robert/ Anupam), some are egoistic (Kevin/ Ashneer) a good mix is needed for drama as well. We are shown 10~15mins of a much longer pitch and its edited to add to the drama, so we can take some of it as channels need for drama. The latest news on Ashneer Vs Kotak actually shows that he was restrained on TV!!

That being said, what I would like to see is Sharks telling them what they bring to the table and their plans to grow the business. Currently it feels like they invest in any profitable business for which they know they can raise funds through their connections and make a quick buck. I also don't like that their default is to collaborate and offer which kills the competitive banter which I loved in Shark Tank US.

Its a good first attempt and hope its improves from here on. I am sure they loaded the initial season with most ideas being good and getting offers to improve the popularity. Looking forward to more balanced next season.
mac187 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 15:40   #33
BHPian

I understand it needs to be Indianised for the local palate. What I do not like is that the setup seems more inclined towards sharks getting a good deal and return for their investment rather than being about ideas and people who brought them. I agree that end of the day sharks want returns but that sometimes feels overshadowing the essence of the format. The show should be about entrepreneurs and their vision not the sharks making good buck out of them only. Can watch it for entertainment value though which I think is what their prime motive is.
Old 30th January 2022, 15:50   #34
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I don't know if anyone remembers but if my memory serves right, long back, may be very early 2000 or end of 90s there was a similar show on zee where people would pitch ideas and get investments.
Yes, the show was called Business Baazigar. It had Subhash Chandra and a couple more judges who I can't recall. I used to like watching that as well, the format was slightly different but in terms of exposure to the contestants, it was nice. Looks dated now but still watchable
One is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 16:39   #35
BHPian

I’ve started watching this show. I’ve watched the US version off and on and my one gripe watching the first few episodes is that the BharatPe guy Ashneer is way too egotistical. I’m assuming he’s trying to emulate Mr Wonderful or whoever else from the US version but it’s borderline abusive. I can understand some of that is his personality as well and while straight talking and slight rudeness is understandable, this guy takes stuff said on the show way too personally.
pandey.jai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 03:16   #36
BHPian

Has anyone watched the original UK version, Dragon's Den? I find it the most entertaining.
Old 31st January 2022, 08:48   #37

I have watched both shank tank US and India episodes. Irrespective of how good or bad it(ST India) is compared to ST US, this show is much needed for India to improve the awareness about entrepreneurship.

Coming to ST India, Sharks trying to make group deals most of the time. I have also noticed multiple all sharks deals in season 1 already. Probably they(Indian sharks) will get more confidence in going solo once they build few successful business from season 1.
Bluto18 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 11:31   #38
BHPian

Shark Tank India is a good start, different from the run of the mill shows. And any show, India or outside, has to have some dose of entertainment to make it palatable to general public. A really serious and to the point show will have rare takers, even Discovery and National Geographic have to spice up their shows bit for business purposes.
BhayanaV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 12:35   #39
BHPian

I started watching it recently and am totally hooked onto it. It may not be as perfect or as maturated as the U.S show, but that's okay. India has its own way of doing things. At least we get to see participant showcasing interesting products/ideas. And I am happy to see new budding entrepreneurs getting opportunities to grow . Hope they continue to maintain the authenticity.

Simply put - I would allow my kid to watch this anyday over a BigBoss or Rodies and the likes. Sorry, no offense intended to their fans but they are just disgusting. Personal opinion of-course.
Kickdown is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 00:20   #40
BHPian

I actually resonate with a lot of other comments here. The concept is good, brings startup culture to household, good to see businesses getting funding.. But, Sony has gone extremely overboard with the blitz on the set, the dramatic music and more. Also the investors act really immature on the show and are really crude about their objective from the investment (just make more money out of it instead of scale the product/ company)
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 23:16   #41
BANNED

Watched it. Hated it.

Those interested in the internal workings and making of the show might want to read this twitter thread. Sample below.

Your views about Shark Tank India-sharktank-twitter.png
Electromotive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 07:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
Watched it. Hated it.

Those interested in the internal workings and making of the show might want to read this twitter thread. Sample below.
I read through and he has gone on a major emotional rant through those back to back posts. Towards the end, it felt more like playing the victims and ‘the grapes are sour’ kind of a thought he had.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 08:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

An ex-colleague pitched her HEMP PRODUCTS and even though she received an offer, decided against taking it. People are just hooked to SHARK TANK India, I heard. Will catch the episodes this weekend
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 09:17   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
An ex-colleague pitched her HEMP PRODUCTS and even though she received an offer, decided against taking it. People are just hooked to SHARK TANK India, I heard. Will catch the episodes this weekend
Oh, she did NOT get an offer. You’ll know it when you see it. She almost got it, but she ruined it for herself.
nTorq is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 09:23   #45
BHPian

After watching the trailer and some snippets, I hated it. Who talks and fight like this on a national television? The idea is good but we made a Ekta Kapoor show out of it.
Piyush_DT is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks