Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2022, 11:08   #1
BHPian

Your views about Shark Tank India

Shark Tank India has got me interested in Start ups and Innovative ideas. I had heard about American Shark Tank but never thought of watching it. The show is a good platform to discover new products and brands.

I'm really addicted to the show and I liked some good ideas such as Multi purpose E-Bikes, Prickless Testing, Smart Helmets, Insurance Samadhan, etc. There are some ridiculous ideas as well! I have ordered Kerala Banana Chips after watching the show! A surprising thing is many youngsters are getting into business which is making me think about starting something!

From the show, I understood some main points that one should look for when starting a business like Market, Scalability, Good Margins, etc. A great idea is one thing but to make a business out of it is a different thing altogether.

Coming to the judges, I like Anupam Mittal & Peyush Bansal. Ashmeet Grover who although seems rude gives his honest opinion without being diplomatic.

So what's your opinion about the show and judges? How do you compare it with the international versions? Have you tried any products from the show? Let me know.
CarNerd is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 11:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your views about Shark Tank India

I like the show. Love the great ideas and business that people from different parts of India are bringing about.

What I don’t like are:(compared to the US one)
1. The dramatic music in some pitches
2. The sharks trying to pull each other down, especially, the mercurial Grover, who admitted as much in one of the episodes
3. All shark deals - if it was one or two, it’s understood, but you get to see a lot many all shark deals
4. It’s quite evident that regardless of the sharks strengths or areas of interest, if they spot money, they partner with each other
5. The host. Boy! Why do we need a host or someone giving away upgrad courses.
6. The American version had many that weren’t funded, whereas, here, most are getting funded.

I did try the ice popsicles and the banana chips. Both were good.

Aside, I look at some business ideas and feel like I should invest in them. Wonder how to go about it.
jkrishnakj is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 11:48   #3
One
BHPian

Quite enjoy watching the show including all the judges. The biggest difference between this and the versions from other countries like US, UK seem to be that the judges are still not as disciplined as the ones abroad. This implies:

- There is a level of emotion driven investing by some of them.

- They are not willing to walk away from deals if they like it irrespective of higher valuations. And I say this is inspite of having watched Chris Sacca who probably sees crazy valuations in Silicon Valley and yet was more disciplined about investing.

- A level of nouveau riche investors where they have recently acquired extra money and are making more punts.

The only way to explain this away is that there is so much floating captial in the markets that they are aware that the folks will get money and they want to be part of that bandwagon.
One is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 11:53   #4
Team-BHP Support

I am yet to watch a full episode of ST India. Even if it is a terrible show, I am sure it will most definitely be a step up from the prime time daily saas bahu and naagin soaps.

Good for everyone I guess.

Last edited by Eddy : 28th January 2022 at 13:01.
Eddy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 12:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

You’ll like it Eddy. Some of the business ideas and thoughts coming from all corners of our country are simply mind blowing.
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 13:07   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I really enjoyed Shark Tank US. Have not tried to watch the India version. Looks like I need to give it a shot. Hope it is not overly dramatized.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 13:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

The main difference between the US and Indian versions is the sharks. Here, all the sharks are young, who achieved success fast and don't seem to have much experience outside of their own business. That shows in the way they interact with the participants and give feedback. For the most part, they seem to be only interested in the money aspect. Ashmeet even admits openly, he will only give them the money and they (participants) are on their own when it comes to growing the business.

The US sharks on the other hand are much more experienced and show (at least portray to show) more interest in the business aspects and talk about how they can bring value to the businesses they invest in.

IMO, the Indian version could also do with less masala and dramatic music. However, it might be required for TRP here.
Jaguar is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 15:52   #8
BHPian

Hello all,
I have been quite addicted to Shark Tank India for the past few weeks. Quite enjoy the show. Love all the sharks but especially... Wait for it...Ashneer Grover. I know, he can sound rude at times, but with the advent of the show, he really comes out as the most entertaining watch.

Some of the pointers that I would like to share:

- Have been watching Shark Tank for quite some time now. Anyone who understands the concept of ST and has watched the American and Australian counterparts will quite enjoy this show.

- By no means is it as well put together as the American and Australian show, but appears to be a very sound first approach.

- The inclusion of advertisements in the show is a pain to watch. To see an entrepreneur get a multi crore offer and then try to seem enthusiastic when Ranvijay Singha hands him/her an UpGrad course is quite hilarious and childish.

- Nothing against Ranvijay, but his popularity through "reality" shows like Roadies really does not work out in Shark Tank. It seems a little off.

- The set, as seen on the American and Australian show, was a dark room with dark walls and ceilings with spotlights set on the Sharks. The creators of ST India however, have gone a completely different route with extremely glitzy decor with gold accents and a very Shaadi themed set.
Your views about Shark Tank India-screenshot_2022012815503602_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Your views about Shark Tank India-screenshot_2022012815485824_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Your views about Shark Tank India-screenshot_2022012815493168_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

- The pitches in themselves are pretty good showing entrepreneurs from across India walk up on stage and pitch their ideas. This show has really started dinner table conversations regarding start ups. This, I feel, is a turn for the better.

The Sharks:

- Aman Gupta: CMO of boAt.

- Namita Thapar: Executive director of Emcure Pharmaceuticals.

- Peyush Bansal: Founder and CEO of Lenskart

-Vineeta Singh: Co-founder of Sugar cosmetics.

-Anupam Mittal: CEO of Shaadi.com

- Ghazal Alakh: Co-founder of Mama Earth

-Ashneer Grover: Founder and managing director of BharatPe
So, he is the controversial shark. He is really straight forward in his feedback and does not sugar coat his words. So, sometimes they come out sounding pretty rude. But if you are an entrepreneur or understand buisness, you will probably appreciate the feedback that he puts out.

My two cents about Shark Tank India:
It is a hugely entertaining show and has made entrepreneurship in India a topic for regular discussion. There is quite some way to go as far as refinement and finesse Is concerned, but it is definitely a step in the right direction.

Was a pretty long post, but hope to help @Eddy and others who are yet to watch the show.

Cheers,
D
Dwaipayan26 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 18:36   #9
BHPian

I am enjoying binge watching Shark Tank India episodes. As someone just said in an earlier post, it is still better than crap daily soap or crass reality shows like Indian Idol, Dance reality shows and now even Kaun Banega Crorepati (KBC). Shark Tank India is still tolerable because there are no dim witted bollywood celebrities coming on this show to promote their movies or excess of advertisements. The day Shark Tank starts inviting these celebrities, on that day I'll know that the show has lost its charm and will slowly go downhill like all other reality shows.
All in all if they can keep excess of melodrama and bollywood at bay, the show will definitely see higher popularity in the coming seasons.
Storm2.0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 18:56   #10
BHPian

I am fan of Shark Tank US and have watched the show entirely upto the latest episode. That is why I was very excited when the Indian show was announced.

Not specific to this thread but I have usually seen people bash any show was is made in India but is based on some foreign show. I personally feel that Shark Tank India is very well formatted and there is no stupid drama like other "reality" shows like India's got talent and Indian Idol. Yes there do tend to have some or the other drama elements but that is because Indians relate more to that. Still it is a very good show and it is always exciting to see new products and I actually try to find the product and possibly order.

About the sharks, I understand many are relatively young and don't really bring much expertise to the table and only throw money vis-a-vis people like Mr. Wonderful or Mark Cuban or Lorie can do for people on US shark tank. But I am not even sure who else would be sharks if not these.

I would love to have members here tell what "As Seen On Shark Tank India" product did you buy and from where.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 15:08   #11
BHPian

I have seen Shark Tank USA and it's not a bad show at all and it's a light show.

Honestly I find DragonsDen (UK) to be superior. The level of scrutiny and questioning in DragonsDen is much much better than Shark Tank USA. You pitch to the 5 Dragons (below) instead of the Sharks! I don't know which series came first - the dragons or the sharks.

I just saw 1 pitch of Shark Tank India and it was not bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Your views about Shark Tank India-dd.jpg  

Last edited by searacer932 : 29th January 2022 at 15:11.
searacer932 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 15:30   #12
BHPian

I am a BIG fan of Shark Tank US.
Few weeks back, started watching the first episode of Indian version but could not finish it. Found it terrible in comparison. Maybe I jumped the gun. Need to give it another shot based on the reviews on this thread.

Also very happy to read that a lot of people are getting deals. Maybe it’s a ploy by the producers to load the first few episodes with successful pitches so that they are able to lure other entrepreneurs to pitch. Not all pitches are shown on TV and showing a lot of rejected ones can be counter productive for a new show format.

Never the less based on the comments above, it seems the show is hitting the right chords. This can be a big positive for the startup eco-system in the country. Especially non-software related.

Last edited by warrioraks : 29th January 2022 at 15:34.
warrioraks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 17:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

I watched the US shark tank and found it very informative, hence decided to try the Indian Shark Tank, but this show is pathetic with overacting, and the sharks don't seem to have a clear vision as to how they want to support the entrepreneurs. Its all about drama and seems like a more polished version of Roadies.

I think its better to stick to the US show.
Lalvaz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 20:06   #14
BANNED

I regularly watch Shark Tank US. Came across Shark Tank India and the very first and only show I watched was extremely disappointing - wish the producers and directors would take a few lessons from the US guys instead of spoiling a brand.

Another downside is the fact that it’s made in Hindi. How would the guys in UP like it if the show was in Telugu or Kannada?

As team bhp has discussions in English it’s better to discuss shows that everyone understands - or else we will find all local language TV serials coming up for discussion next.

Shark Tank India is probably amongst the biggest disappointments on TV when compared to Shark Tank US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Here, all the sharks are young, who achieved success fast and don't seem to have much experience outside of their own business. That shows in the way they interact with the participants and give feedback. For the most part, they seem to be only interested in the money aspect.
Spot on. The fact that they are wet behind the ears comes out when it comes to advising, mentoring or building the investee company. Right selection of investors are among the many mistakes made by the producers. It’s like taking money from a bank where other than forking out money, no help is rendered.

Last edited by EV NXT : 29th January 2022 at 20:30.
EV NXT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 20:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post

Another downside is the fact that it’s made in Hindi. How would the guys in UP like it if the show was in Telugu or Kannada?

As team bhp has discussions in English it’s better to discuss shows that everyone understands - or else we will find all local language TV serials coming up for discussion next.
You do know the channel which it is on right? If sun tv or something wants to make their version for regional audiences, they are free to make it. Don't we see Bigg Boss Kannada and such? I am not sure why the hate against Hindi. Also having a show in hindi guarantees wider audience reach. For it to be in English, it should have been on star World or some sort of english only channel which it is not.
raksrules is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks