Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2022, 16:58   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Hair Transplant Thread

Got some PMs asking about my current hair state. This is a picture from 2 weeks back.

No. I haven't started smoking. This is the lady's, just for picture.

The body fills it up. But different story when wet . Want to proactively get a fix before it's too late.

The Hair Transplant Thread-screenshot_20220427165625_gallery.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 27th April 2022 at 17:01.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 17:57   #47
BHPian

'Hairfall' or 'baldness' word has haunted me for more than a decade now. I cant imagine how many hours/minutes/moments I have wasted just to worry about how do I look or to find the solutions to fix it. It was hereditary gift which was inevitable and I wanted to challenge it. I tried all the oils in the market and had '0' impact.

I started losing my hairline from the age of 22 even after using all the oils in the market. I started using Minoxidil and it showed very minimal effect and was not effective for my problem. I was studying in London and visited The Belgravia Centre, which gave me lotion including Minoxidil and Finasteride tablet. These were the only two FDA approved hair loss treatment and I started taking it at the age of 24. The finasteride worked wonders and it stopped thinning hairs and I was getting back my hairs. I knew the side effects but benefits outweighed risk and I took it for 02 years and stopped it.

I started losing hairs but the speed was slow compared to earlier. I again started worrying and looked for hair transplant. After, researching and discussions and seeing live examples, I came to conclusion that hair transplant is not permanent solution either. It requires lot of care and needs to be performed by a skillful doctor. Also, it is very expensive and it didn't made sense to spend so much just for few years and again spend more.

However, the anxiety and constant worry was killing me and one fine day, I decided to shave it off. I am happy now that I took that decision as I realize that it doesn't matter how you look but how you behave on the road, at public place, at your home. You need to make peace with it and accept yourself for whatever you are. Your loved ones wont bother. I wish I knew this a decade ago and I would have not wasted so much of time worrying about it.

@GTO From my experience, your hairline is good and I would not worry about it. I think topical solution (Minoxidil or Doctors recommendation) would help your worries. Also, I have realize that it does look bad or worse to us but not to others and we tend to worry much more than the problem is.
Piyush_DT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 18:09   #48
BHPian

Considering the number of posts here mentioning minoxidil, was surprised that Bringha didn't show up in the thread. I haven't used Bringha myself nor am I advocating it.. but wanted to point out this study that people might find relevant.

In particular checkout the effect of Bringha as compared to Minoxidil

I understand the thread is mainly about hair transplant, but I suspect people doing a search for meds might be led here, so leaving this here for posterity.
blitz_nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 18:31   #49
BHPian

Mod note: Trimming quoted post, please avoid quoting entire large post for short replies since it affects readability. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Although we have some old threads on hair loss, what we really need is a dedicated one for hair transplants. The web is filled with mixed reviews & information, what better place than Team-BHP to get precise advice (as always).
=====
Source
I guess I am qualified enough to answer a part of this question. I am almost 53 now and have got hair transplant almost 6 year back. Touch wood still looks good enough. Had got this done from Dr. Sunil Mishra in Mumbai. If you google his name you will find him with location at Wellness Hub Powai. I had met a couple of Drs before him and their quotes were exhorbitant as compared to Dr. Sunil. However, since a friend (who is also a Dr) had got his transplant done through Dr. Sunil I was confident. He is genuine and will not give false advice. Hope this helps...Cheers

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th April 2022 at 18:41.
bimal8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 19:19   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush_DT View Post
@GTO From my experience, your hairline is good and I would not worry about it.
1. It's good because of the hairstyle & long hair covering it. Trust me, the wet look reveals a lot

2. Want to be proactive, man. I'm the kind of guy who, if you tell the timing belt has to be replaced at 70000 km, I'll do it at 55000 km. Want to fix the hairline before it goes back further.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 20:06   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
I had a few PM's asking for doctors I recommend. I am posting it here so that it helps everyone. The first thing you should check is the doctors on IAHRS
This is why a good and ethical doctor is important
I second the advise given by wanderin nomad here. he has summarized all the issues rightly. I became bald right after my engineering and had to go for a transplant twice at the age of 27 and 30 to regain atleast some hair otherwise i would have looked like avtar gill.

For the first one i went with Dr.Madhu in Hyderabad he is a good person and gives the right advise. For the second one i went with Dr.Bhatti on the advise of punjabi friends in Canada.

You cannot go wrong with him he is way ahead of the regular doctors. He is also very transparent about what the outcome would be and he does not give false hopes.

I went with Dr.Bhatti because he was the only surgeon who took my case for the second transplant while others said the difference wont be much.

I also heard good things about eugenix during my research. And the only drug that works is finasteride. There are a lot of rumours regarding it and the few negative studies regarding it had only 4% of people experiencing the side effects.

Do check out his youtube channel it is great with many second tier bollywood actors getting their transplant done there.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th April 2022 at 23:44. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
hondatoyotafan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 20:17   #52
BHPian

As someone who started facing hair loss at 19 and am now almost bald at 27, well I trim it all down for an even look, and having tried various products and oils and what not, here's my two cents.

If its because of genetics, don't waste time and money. Minoxidil, finasteride, redensyl, bringraj, what not, nothing will bring the hair back. If you have money, get a top notch transplant, or wait for the inevitable and shave/trim off.

Don't get hair weave or toupes, they look ridiculous. I mean, look at Ranbir Kapoor, damn hairline is straighter than an arrow.

Generally, I think money is the major factor. Or there wouldn't have been any bald dudes around. If the emotional toll (would be a lot if you are in your 20s) is too much to bear, get a transplant, over other priorities, there's no point prolonging the pain.

I went through enough thanks to this mess. I've come to accept it. Only downside I see is it could dent my marriage prospects, but it is what it is.

Hair or no hair, confidence is what matters. Although I don't know if its the way I carry myself the ladies are checking out or just that they don't want to sprain their necks to look at the moon.

And when I have change to spare I have this thread to fall back on.

For now, I'm spending the bucks on motorcycling . Loving it.
TROOPER is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 00:51   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have been using Minoxidil (Rogaine brand exclusively) diligently for over 4 years now.
Don’t go for PRP. It won’t help and is not proven. Minoxidil, finasteride and ketocanazole are the only proven drugs. They are also called the big 3. And, also for people going for HT, ask your doc to throw it in for free. A good doctor will as it hardly takes anything from his side. But keep in mind, it will not work as a standalone treatment

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th April 2022 at 11:08. Reason: Trimmed Quoted post.
WanderinNomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 02:02   #54
BHPian

Also, after reading the responses here, I have a few things to add. I hope it helps someone who is troubled by balding. I wish someone had told me these things when I was 25.

If you are suffering from male pattern baldness: Here are the cures and a summary of how and when they will help you.

1 Finasteride 1 mg daily tablet-

- it will prevent your hair from further balding. So whether you have had an HT or not, you should start taking it if you are suffering from MPB
- it may bring some of your lost hair back but point 1 is it’s major benefit
- has side effects in a minority, say 1% of users . They are mostly sexual. If you are worried, take it under supervision of a dermatologist. If you have them, you will know within 2 months. In that case, stop it and all goes back to normal
- has to be taken for the long term, say next 20 years.
- if you have an HT, you have to take it. Why? Simply because hair loss is a genetic and natural phenomenon. Your transplanted hair are mostly permanent but your non transplanted hair are prone to the baldness gene. So once you have an HT you are already suffering from the gene. You have to preserve your hair as much as you can.
- For people just starting to bald, just start taking finasteride. It will have its effect in a year. You may or may not notice it. In the long term, it can prevent a need for an HT.

2 Minoxidil- 5% once or twice a day topical application.

- 5% works. No 2% or 10% or mixture.
- has an entirely different mechanism than finasteride. Please search google.
- has to be applied long term just like drug 1. It stops working once you stop applying just like drug 1.
- prevents and may regrow hair back.
- has an affect but less than drug 1 due to its mechanism of action

3 ketocanazole 2%- shampoo every 3 days or once a week

- main action is as an anti-dandruff popularly known as nizoral
- works in conjunction with drug 1 and 2 and not as a standalone in preventing hair loss
- mechanism of action is by reducing inflammation.

These 3 drugs are cheap and proven to work. All 3 in conjunction will work best. They are long term cures so expect result in 8-12 months and not before that.

What doesn’t work or is not proven- laser caps, hijama, PRP, derma roller, hair oils etc. They can work as an add on but the basics are above.Period.

How do you measure progress of a hair loss treatment? No, do not do it with naked eye. Take photos at the same position and lighting every 3 months and keep on storing them. The record will show you the difference.

Now for people who are above Norwood scale 3 ( again please google ), these drugs will work but not enough so you will have to step up the fight-

4 HT
-it’s a surgery
- proven, FUE is 30 years old
- very convenient as it’s a 1 day affair
- results are permanent ( may not seem so but the results are )
- why are they permanent ? Because hair is taken from areas resistant to DHT (like back and sides )
- why they may not seem so ? Because irrespective of HT, your existing hair will continue to thin.
- you should be open to taking the above drugs. Otherwise don’t go for an HT.
- painless or very bearable
- most of the people will have to go bald once for it. And then wait 1-1.5 years for full result. Waiting is actually the toughest part of the entire thing.
- if you want to keep the procedure a secret, it will be tough. Atleast, For the first 1.5 months.

Now, the cost and the hair loss industry?

- in india, varies from 15- 100 rs per graft.
- say you need 2500 grafts . At rs 25 per graft it comes to rs 62500. If you are agonised by baldness, It would be money very well spent
- the industry is filled with unethical practices
- be sure that your HT is done by an actual doc.

Why the difference in prices? And whom should you select.

Rs 75per graft - these docs are the pioneers, foreigners fly to them for medical tourism, they have clinics all over the world, etc. the best thing is you don’t need to research
If you have the money, go to them. Afterall it’s a once in a lifetime procedure.

Rs 50 per graft - you will find very good docs but you will have to search for them

Rs 35 per graft - Lots of search. But the technology is so old, that in the end, they will give you 80% of the result of the Rs 75 per graft doc at fraction of the cost

Rs 15 per graft- avoid it, most probably is not a doc

These are General guidelines and the prices are 2019 ones. So just include inflation.

So, what I mean to say is this -

- if you can cut through the bullshit, there are cures
- don’t suffer if you are worried about hair loss. There are cures and they are not that expensive. Take action and give the treatment some time.
- it’s perfectly natural to be worried about hair loss. It’s not always vanity
- the earlier you start a treatment, the better and cheaper it is.

I will keep on adding points as I keep on reading the responses.

Mods : apologies for back to back posts. The time for editing the previous post had expired.
WanderinNomad is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 08:21   #55
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
varies from 15- 100 rs per graft.
Your posts are so helpful .

I guess Eugenix is in the top tier of pricing (and quality, from what I hear). Their packages start at 75 / graft and go all the way up to 350 / graft. The higher packages basically have more involvement from the founding doctors, Dr Pradeep Sethi & Dr Arika Bansal. I think their 210 / graft package is the most popular where the founders do the critical stuff, with the rest being done by their "senior" technicians.

Dr. Bhatti's pricing appears to be in the 140 / graft range and I am told by his office that he is 100% hands-on throughout the procedure. Designing, extracting, implantation...everything done by him.

A 3rd doctor who comes highly recommended is Dr. Dimitrios Ziakas (Distinguished BHPian Tejas also recommends him). He used to visit India before, but is now based in Dubai only. His packages are as below. You have to add the airfare + hotel etc. My only worry would be, what if some post operative care is required and you are already back in India?
The Hair Transplant Thread-whatsapp-image-20220427-11.48.06-am.jpeg
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 08:59   #56
BHPian

Hi everyone.

Thanks GTO for starting this thread.

I am 25 and have lost a lot of hair already. Male pattern baldness runs in the family and I was sort of prepared for this quite early.

I got a consultation at WOW clinic at Juhu last week.
The surgeon was Dr. Vinay Chouksey (claims to be Richfeel's head surgeon, has started his own chain of clinics now)

The hair transplant process recommended was FUE as I do have existing hair even in areas where thinning is very visible. Two sessions were recommended for about 3500 grafts. PRP, Minoxidil/Finasteride will have to be continued after the procedure to maintain the look one wants.

Hair transplant cannot give one the density one wants, what a skilled surgeon can do is create a hairline/frontal look that gives the illusion that you have a full head of hair when you are being looked at from the front.

The procedure is not entirely painless and the results take about 1 year to show up completely. Transplanted hair will last for about 10-15 years with proper maintenance.

I have also tried Richfeel's Anagrow treatment in the past and any gain out of that was simply temporary.
I don't think one can fight genetics although a hair transplant is still the best option to get somewhat close to the look you want.

The quoted cost for the hair transplant was about 1,10,000 (3000-3500 grafts) for two sessions.

PRP was about 15,000 for 4-5 sessions and medication/shampoos would cost you about 1000 per month.

What I have heard is that sessions that involve transplant of too many grafts can create problems and it is best to divide the total no of grafts in smaller sessions.

While I am seriously considering getting a transplant done, finding the right doctor is a huge challenge with hair transplant clinics popping up in almost every street.

I would be thankful if members can share some information on the recommended surgeons that I can consider in Bombay.

I could not find the details for Dr. Bhatti in Bombay. Seems like he has opened his dedicated clinic in Chandigarh and practices from there, now.

And does anyone have a review for Dr. Vinay Chouksey?

Thanks.

Last edited by Vedant Gupta : 28th April 2022 at 09:01.
Vedant Gupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 17:38   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Also, after reading the responses here, I have a few things to add. I hope it helps someone who is troubled by balding. I wish someone had told me these things when I was 25.

If you are suffering from male pattern baldness: Here are the cures and a summary of how and when they will help you.
Well summarised. Few queries

1. FUE or DHT difference and which is better?

2. Online research suggests the first session transplant grows best. Subsequent sessions suffer due to scarring from first session so growth restricted!! Comments? Is it possible to have only one session ?

3. No genetic baldness. But want to arrest receding hairline at temples. I am in 50s.

Thanks

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th April 2022 at 17:40. Reason: Quote tags.
Old 28th April 2022, 18:49   #58

Let's first get into the physiology of male pattern hair loss, aka androgenic alopecia.

The main process that's going on in our scalp is basically hair follicular miniaturization. This is driven by a hormonal byproduct called dihydrotestosterone, derived from testosterone throug the action of an enzyme called 5 aplha reductase.
Finasteride works wonders in Androgenic alopecia. It blocks the 5 alpha reductase enzyme, thereby reducing scalp dihydotestosterone levels by upto 70% . Several clinical trials have proven that long term Fin therapy has significantly reduced or even completely stopped follicular miniaturization.

The side effect profile that many men are worried about, is infact quite rare. And moreover, there are blood tests that one can do prior to starting Fin to know if they are prone to Fin induced side effects. Finasteride is quite a safe drug, especially in its dosage for androgenic alopecia, which is usually 1mg. Side effects were more reported in dosages used for benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH) treatment, which is 5mg.

So Finasteride stops 70% of the physiological process that kills your hair. The remaining 30% can be further reduced by topical anti androgens like Ketaconazole, RU58841 etc.

Minoxidil , dermarolling , scalp massaging can be supplimented to promote follicular blood flow and and inflammatory response.

In my honest opinion , i would suggest you to first consult a good dermatologist, get your pre Fin blood panel done, and if you're in low risk, go ahead and start off with Finasteride, and supplement your hairgrowth with weekly dermarolling and Ketaconazole shampoo hairwash 1-4 times a week.

Hair transplant should be your last resort.
drgeorgeroy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th April 2022, 19:17   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Well summarised. Few queries

1. FUE or DHT difference and which is better?

2. Online research suggests the first session transplant grows best. Subsequent sessions suffer due to scarring from first session so growth restricted!! Comments? Is it possible to have only one session ?

3. No genetic baldness. But want to arrest receding hairline at temples. I am in 50s.

Thanks
1 by DHT I meant the hormone essentially responsible for MPB. What you are talking about is DHT or direct hair transplant . As far as I remember, DHT was just a specific type of FUE in which out of body time is almost nil

Essentially, there are just 2 types of HT, FUE and FUT. FUE is the most popular nowadays because it's less invasive , doesn't leave a scar, shorter recovery time etc .
All other things including DHT are small variations of FUT or FUE.

2 Not true. Any doctor worth his salt will pluck and insert hair in such a way and to such an extent that the natural body characteristics in the region are not disturbed . He will not over harvest or use more great than required. Also, he will also take into account that you may need a HT 20-25 years down the line . Select a good doc and he will take care of the rest . There are so many parameters which a doc uses that it's difficult to explain here

Only one session is definitely possible. It all depends on how your baldness progresses over the years . At 50, you should not require a 2nd session .

3 in your case, i think 1 session is all you will need . But a consultation will give you even more surity.
WanderinNomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 01:22   #60
BHPian

A 3rd doctor who comes highly recommended is Dr. Dimitrios Ziakas (Distinguished BHPian Tejas also recommends him). He used to visit India before, but is now based in Dubai only. His packages are as below. You have to add the airfare + hotel etc. My only worry would be, what if some post operative care is required and you are already back in India?
Attachment 2301691[/quote]

There are some good doctors outside India. One of my friends has a very good outcome from Dr.Cinik of Istanbul. I even got a video consult from his clinic but i was wary of getting the treatment in a foreign country whose health system we dont understand.
hondatoyotafan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks