Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2022, 08:50   #61
BHPian

Re: The Hair Transplant Thread

Is there any connection of RO drinking water with hair fall? I have seen people going bald in Middle East. Even thick hair Malayalis also face this problem in Middle East.

Is it because RO purification process strips all the essential minerals require for hair growth?
IP_Man is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 09:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for this very informative summary WanderinNomad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
- has to be applied long term just like drug 1. It stops working once you stop applying just like drug 1.
I have a Question please, At what pace does it stop working once you stop taking the drug?
Let's say one has been taking Finasteride and Minoxidil long-term about 5-6 years and has prevented any recession in hairline and/or gained back some hair as well in those 5 years, the day the person stops taking these solutions does 5 years worth of hair loss hit you instantly?.. within weeks all gone? or is it that it slowly resumes hairloss and will take another 5 years to get there?

Thank you.
Old 29th April 2022, 10:06   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. It's good because of the hairstyle & long hair covering it. Trust me, the wet look reveals a lot

2. Want to be proactive, man. I'm the kind of guy who, if you tell the timing belt has to be replaced at 70000 km, I'll do it at 55000 km. Want to fix the hairline before it goes back further.
GTO, unfortunately it doesn't work like that. If you go in early for a transplant, chances are the transplanted hair will stay and the existing hair now could fall off later giving a very poor look. So, most doctors generally look at the level of baldness before they prescribe surgery. Being proactive is good but I think the doctors will only prescribe medication for now. Unless someone has their scalp fully visible in more than 50% of the area, no doc would recommend transplantation.
Raghu M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 10:15   #64
BHPian

It took some time for me to read the entire thread. I am quite fascinated by the way people thing and provide suggestions, nothing wrong in that nor I am pointing out any specific issues. Baldness is a natural phenomenon largely due to hereditary and lifestyle issues. Acceptance is something I have not seen in many. To add fuel to the fire, the tinsel town folks directly act as ambassadors to this concept of improving the receding hairline!!

There is nothing wrong in accepting the “current as is state”, what’s wrong with going bald? Yes, appearance is a “good to have feature” however it’s the person in you people like to see and interact with. At the end of the day, it’s a personal choice however is it worth it for us all mortal beings?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 29th April 2022 at 10:18. Reason: Corrected 'tensile' to 'tinsel'.
sumathindra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 10:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Got some PMs asking about my current hair state. This is a picture from 2 weeks back.

No. I haven't started smoking. This is the lady's, just for picture.

The body fills it up. But different story when wet . Want to proactively get a fix before it's too late.

Attachment 2301500

As a doctor and someone who got hair transplanted a year ago this is my recommendation
  • Minoxidil, PRP, Fina etc are temporary solutions. Few months after discontinuation the problem will re surface
  • Transplantation is the most permanent now. it fixes hairline issues
  • Get a Transplant from a Plastic Surgeon only.
  • Ensure that transplant surgeon just doesn't fill the empty space but go for a massive graft - 5k follicles inter spread among existing hair to accommodate eventual loss of exiting hair (it will happen)

PRP every 1 months post transplant for 6 months and then once every 6 months or 1 year depending on the quality of hair will ensure that the transplanted hair gets good nutrition and and natural hair is preserved for as long as possible.

Oral minoxidil is showing a lot of benefit off late but I don't have sufficient first hand information yet.

If Hyderabad is OK for you I would strongly recommend Dr Dushyanth Kalva at Inform Clinics for the procedure. Should be a 2-3 process and post care can be done back in Mumbai. But I'm sure Mumbai has equally good facilities and travelling abroad is not really required for this.
As someone has mentioned FUE is the standard for scarless and safe and high quality transplant.

Be prepared to be a socially awkward for 2 months or so while the transplanted hair grows back and first 15 days until all the scabs fall out wear a hoodie and a surgical cap.

If you have the ability to schedule it later (time and urgency basis) plan for late autumn or early winter to minimize irritation and discomfort.

You'll need to avoid strenuous exercise for a couple of months post procedure to avoid the plugs falling out.

End of it while a few people say it's a vanity procedure the improvement in self confidence is worth the hassle.

And wigs are terrible. Don't even plan that route.

Regards

Regards
harshaguduru is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 14:14   #66
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Deepak R for sending in the details. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
Hi GTO,

I came across this thread where you were seeking advice on Hair Transplant.

I've tried out a lot of options from the time I started losing hair in my early 20s. Every case is different and the doctor would need to examine you, and perform some tests to determine the reason for hair loss before proceeding with the treatment.

Treatment 1: Mine was a case of Male Pattern Baldness, I started losing Hair early on in during the last days of my final year in Engineering. The Hairfall was crazy, a reputed Doctor in Jayanagar, Bangalore (Don't recall his name) put me on Minoxidil and Finasteride tablets. I got my head shaved and the treatment did work for some time. But, the Hairloss didn't stop.

Treatment 2: Approached Dr Batras in Jayanagar, Bangalore. Back in 2005, Dr Batras used to figure prominently in most the newspapers for Hair Loss problems. I'd describe my stint with Dr Batras as a total waste of time. They were a bunch of quacks who didn't quite know what they were doing. During one treatment session, my Elder sister who is a Dentist accompanied me to Dr Batras and she questioned them as to why I wasn't being provided with Glasses or asked to close my eyes during their so-called Laser light treatment or whatever. The doctor kept fumbling and didn't have an answer. Their ayurvedic medicines were a piece of shit too. Absolutely of no use.

Treatment 3: Frustrated, I opted for the Hair Weaving from Hairline Clinic, Indiranagar at Bangalore. While the Toupee did cover up the bald patch on my head, it was really easy to make out that it was Fake. Also, it was difficult to style and there were monthly visits to the centre for a Hair cut and a re-weaving (they formed a mesh-like structure using Nylon wires entwined with the hair on the scalp and stitched the Toupee onto the mesh). The Toupee cost was 25K and upwards and each sitting cost 1K. 3 Toupees later, I'd decided to take the plunge for a Hair transplant.

Treatment 4: Met a Dr Dinesh Gowda at Hairline Clinic, Indiranagar, Bangalore in 2012. He was an old chap (who also used a Wig). By now, the hair on the back of my head was receding further due to the mesh-like structure being used for the Hair weaving procedure. I was probably at Stage 6 in the Baldness cycle by now. The good doctor explained to me about different methods for Hair transplant, FUT (Wherein a portion of your scalp would be surgically removed and hair follicles harvested from this area) and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction using a device wherein a single strand would be plucked). The mind said FUE, but the cost was really high. Plus the doctor assured me that they would make use of some serum kinda stuff from a Pig's bladder or whatever (Can't recall if it was a Pig's bladder or something else) and assured me that the scar wouldn't remain. I was told that the cost of the Transplant would set me back by 2 Lakh rupees (inclusive of the Hair Transplant + 4 sitting for Platelet Rich Plasma therapy). The doctor also told me that they would not be able to achieve full coverage and the transplanted area would cover only a portion of the frontal area. The HT operation lasted 12 hours under local anaesthesia. I drove back home after the surgery, even surgery can't keep us, car lovers, from driving. Post HT, the transplanted strands fall off within a week and there might be chances of folliculitis (small areas of inflammation around the actual hair follicle). I experienced folliculitis and it never really disappeared. The same goes for the scar, the serum from the Pig's bladder or whatever wasn't helpful and I had a deep scar running across the sides and the back of my head. Add to this, post-HT, one has to continue using Minoxidil and Finasteride along with a few other tablets like COQ Forte, Grape Seed Extract etc. for the time period prescribed by the Doctor. I followed all of the instructions to the T and the post HT results were really good. Post the initial sessions of 4 PRPs, I was asked to continue with PRP for another 6 to 8 sessions with each session costing 7K. Even though I didn't have a full head of hair, the transplanted area covered up the baldness on the frontal portion of my head and I was happy with it till 2014, UNTIL, I stopped taking the medications and the PRP treatment. The transplanted strands began thinning out after I stopped the PRP and medications. The Minoxidil + Finasteride combo didn't help.

Treatment 5: During the latter part of 2014, I realized that the Transplanted hairs had thinned out a lot and decided to go in for a few more sessions of PRP from Oliva Clinic at Koramangala (a close friend's wife was one of the Lead Doctors here). Signed up for 8 sessions at an overall cost of 60K. The thinned-out hairs started thickening again and covered up the scalp. Over the course of these 8 sessions, the doctor confirmed that there is no permanent fix for the hair loss and the thinning of hair and that I should opt for some more maintenance sessions (maybe delay the sessions to once in 2 months instead of going in for a monthly session). I opted for another package plan of 8 sessions and stopped post that. There was no further improvement despite all those sittings and as the good doctor rightly said, the hair strands started thinning out again after I stopped the sessions.

This was my ordeal with finding solutions for my hair loss. I just turned 40 last Sunday and the transplanted hair has thinned out now and the scalp does show. But, at this point, I just don't care anymore. Looking back at everything that's happened, I wish I hadn't opted for any of the treatments. It was all a waste of time and money.

Having said that, this is my personal opinion. As per what you had mentioned in the post, it appears that you might be in Stage 2 or Stage 3 and the chances of it working out are better for you. I'd suggest making a checklist (much like the PDI checklist) of your questions based on the responses received from the TBHP members and speaking to every Doctor you meet. Also, it's really important that you speak to the Doctor's patients and don't go by the "Before and After" images shown by the Doctor in the clinic.

I dunno about the chances of a successful transplant in India. However, there were a lot of Premier League footballers and other Sportspersons who either went Bald or were going bald and got transplants done (Sebastian Vettel, David Silva, Rob Holding, Wayne Rooney etc.)

All the very best for your Hair Transplant.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 14:31   #67
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this inofrmation in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
I am an avid reader of Team-BHP. I checked The Hair Transplant Thread and would like to inform you about https://www.greenwealth.com/ before you go for a transplant. I have heard good reviews about them from many. They are selling oil and derma rollers.

The process is:
  1. You have to run the derma roller on your head for some time
  2. Spray the oil

My cousin in Kuwait gave us the reference of this company. Then, I, along with my other cousin, ordered the oil and derma roller. While my cousin has been using it for 2 months now, I have not yet started. My cousin also gave good reviews and is forcing me to start.

Maybe you can give it a try. One bottle costs Rs. 2,500. https://www.greenwealth.com/ will give a 0.5 mm derma roller. But my cousin from Kuwait is saying that people are buying 1 and 1.5 mm derma rollers from medical stores and have gotten better results.

I am not a salesman. I have ordered the oil but not yet applied it.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th April 2022 at 16:10.
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 15:37   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this inofrmation in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!
Yes, I was recommended the same by one of my friends who has been using the Neo Hair Lotion since last three months and the results are satisfactory.
snaseer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 16:30   #69
BHPian

Glued to this thread. Never imagined such a thread on team bhp. I have a peculiar issue of excessive dandruff and am worried that this Will lead to baldness. This problem is over 20 years old. I have really thick flakes of dandruff and have tried everything from oils to curd to lemons to commercial anti dandruff shampoos and what not. My hair has now started thinning on top.
Could someone suggest a way to get rid of this dandruff please?
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 16:43   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Glued to this thread. Never imagined such a thread on team bhp. I have a peculiar issue of excessive dandruff and am worried that this Will lead to baldness. This problem is over 20 years old. I have really thick flakes of dandruff and have tried everything from oils to curd to lemons to commercial anti dandruff shampoos and what not. My hair has now started thinning on top.
1. Get rid of all shampoos. ALL. Throw them out or give them away.
2. Buy organic apple cider vinegar with mother.
3. Apply to scalp without dilution. Apply generously.
4. Let it sit for an hour or two.
5. Browse and reply to threads on Team BHP.
6. Rinse hair with soft water
7. No oil, no after wash products.
8. Repeat weekly, and gradually lengthen time between washes.
9. Never go back to shampoos again. There’s a movement called nopoo. Read up on it.
10. Come back and report

Last edited by Red Liner : 29th April 2022 at 16:46.
Red Liner is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 18:29   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
2. Buy organic apple cider vinegar with mother.
That's a great tip! I really want to try it out. Do you have a recommendation for any particular brand? Asking you because, a google search revealed a lot of brands and I am not sure which one to choose.
In how many months can we see some visible improvements?

Thank you so much for this suggestion!
Old 29th April 2022, 18:57   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus1975 View Post
That's a great tip! I really want to try it out. Do you have a recommendation for any particular brand? Asking you because, a google search revealed a lot of brands and I am not sure which one to choose.
In how many months can we see some visible improvements?

Thank you so much for this suggestion!
I got a good deal on this some time back: https://www.amazon.in/Bragg-Organic-...s%2C466&sr=8-8

But the price seems to have gone up quite a bit now.

Next if not as good: https://www.amazon.in/Organic-India-...s%2C466&sr=8-7

I will get this as well.

I don't know the severity of your dandruff, and nor am I a derm. But my suggestion is to replace your current hair wash activity with this one fully. This is a life long change. The scalp secretes natural oils which are the best for our scalp and hair. You will realise as you go along, that the less you wash your hair the healthier your hair actually gets, and the faster your hair grows. For all you know, you might see improvements in a week. Remember to massage the apple cider vinegar into all parts of your scalp and your hair as well, your hair should be dripping with ACV - thats how much you need to get in there.

If your hair smells of ACV after you rinse, its no worry at all. The smell disappears within a few hours. Do this wash at night before you go to sleep, so you give your hair all of the night time to naturally dry - avoid use of hair dryers, or a rough towel dry. Be gentle. Washing your hair at night will also help you fall asleep early. its a relaxing activity.

Our ancestors did not have access to water the way we do, to keep themselves "clean" on a daily basis with soap and what not. There are things called good bacteria or good microbes which need time to work, and time to stay alive - in our skin, scalp, and in our gut.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 19:10   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
As someone who started facing hair loss at 19 and am now almost bald at 27, well I trim it all down for an even look, and having tried various products and oils and what not, here's my two cents.
Adding something which I should have earlier.

My Dad turned 64 this January. And if you look at him, after looking at me, you would accuse him of wearing a wig.

Dude's got a head full of hair. Hairline would put 20 year olds to shame. Touchwood.

Now you would argue genetics. But that's not the point of this post.

Here is his hair care routine for the past 20-30 years of my existence.

Wash hair minimum of once daily, with normal yellow sunsilk shampoo.

That's it.

Maybe apply coconut oil if he suddenly remembers that it exists.

So I'm saying it again, topical stuff and multivitamins will work only if your hair fall is due to external factors and deficiencies. Anything hormonal or genetic, better get a transplant, rather than burning through cash and delaying the inevitable.
TROOPER is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2022, 19:30   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Dandruff is more a hygiene thing. I have known people that had chronic dandruff ( on eyebrows, on eyelashes etc or having ear pain due to dandruff getting into the ear apparently), but still had thick hair. My own experience is that dandruff doesn't cause hair loss or baldness (I'm not a doctor, so just my experience here). At around an age of 18-19 I started experiencing severe hair fall and it gradually kept increasing - and it sent me into a tizzy. I tried all types of shampoos, rainwater for washing hair, curd and fenugreek etc- all these worsened. Also, interestingly it's one of those phases where you start observing others' hairlines ( embarrassingly so ) almost involuntarily for checking on how they are doing with their hair . It was nothing short of a psychotic phase.

Little did I realize that it may have been hormonal changes at that age ( actually most young adults go through that hair loss phase ) and the fact that we had just moved to a house which had somewhat a bit more hard water. I always had dandruff from the age of 13-14 but suddenly I started attributing this hair fall to dandruff. I used many of the popular anti-dandruff shampoos, it only worsened. Then it was the ketoconazole shampoo based on a doctor's prescription - and that was my biggest mistake. It caused more hair fall and also noticeably thin hair (not density, but stretched out/broken/slender hair). And then I decided to stop all this nonsense and just focus on my studies and it miraculously wasn't' a problem anymore after a few weeks. But those two years of experiments cost me my hair density and peace of mind - I'm not bald currently at 40, nor do I have a receding hairline or visible scalp but I wish I had the density I had in my teens, which I might have without those shampoos.

Avoid any chemical, use a regular basic shampoo such as Clinic Plus to wash. Avoid oil frequently, oil it once in a while and make it a point to wash your hair within a day of it. Do not worry about dandruff causing hair loss by default - unless of course you see hair loss and even then, it could be some other factor - ascertain that first before getting to the crazy chemicals.

But unfortunately, this is a world that body shames people - and bald people don't have it easy - even their best pals or family would have joked about their shiny pates at least once - and that causes serious psychological impact and lack of confidence in some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Is there any connection of RO drinking water with hair fall? I have seen people going bald in Middle East. Even thick hair Malayalis also face this problem in Middle East.

Is it because RO purification process strips all the essential minerals require for hair growth?
This might have some answers for you - remember reading this some time ago : https://www.thenationalnews.com/life...ut-it-1.888949

Last edited by Aditya : 1st May 2022 at 06:32. Reason: Back to back posts merged
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2022, 00:37   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Thank you for this very informative summary WanderinNomad.

I have a Question please, At what pace does it stop working once you stop taking the drug?
Let's say one has been taking Finasteride and Minoxidil long-term about 5-6 years and has prevented any recession in hairline and/or gained back some hair as well in those 5 years, the day the person stops taking these solutions does 5 years worth of hair loss hit you instantly?.. within weeks all gone? or is it that it slowly resumes hairloss and will take another 5 years to get there?

Thank you.
In weeks it will be gone or say just a couple of months. This is because of their mechanism of action.

But then why would you want to stop them . I have been taking Finasteride for the last 5 years because I know I am prone to MPB and see no reason to stop.

Quote:
Your posts are so helpful .

I guess Eugenix is in the top tier of pricing (and quality, from what I hear). Their packages start at 75 / graft and go all the way up to 350 / graft. The higher packages basically have more involvement from the founding doctors, Dr Pradeep Sethi & Dr Arika Bansal. I think their 210 / graft package is the most popular where the founders do the critical stuff, with the rest being done by their "senior" technicians.

Dr. Bhatti's pricing appears to be in the 140 / graft range and I am told by his office that he is 100% hands-on throughout the procedure. Designing, extracting, implantation...everything done by him.
Yes, GTO. Both Eugenix and Dr. Bhatti are the best of the lot, and frankly, you cannot go wrong with either one.

Since you have selected the top ranked doctors, I would say, you have already done 90% of the work. Also, you are immune to all the bullshit this industry has to offer.

Regarding my views about Eugenix. Everything is actually good. Just a couple of points why I didn't select them while going for my HT:

1 The price: 2.5 lacs as compared to 1.25 lacs for Dr. Bhatti.

2 Their pricing model. The first thing I would check about a HT clinic is that the doctor ( or rather a plastic surgeon) I selected should be doing at least 75% of the work. Their lower priced plans were bieng done by doctors which were unknown to me, not Dr Pradip Sethi or Dr Arika Bansal. Their higher priced plans were atrociously priced.

Also, Here are some points why I can't stop singing praises about Dr. Bhatti even 3 years after my HT

1 He did all the major part of the HT with his hand. The rest was done under his presence by 4-5 technicians. I must have visited his clinic in Chandigarh around 10 times till now, and I can verify that he performs just 1 or 1.5 surgeries a day. Mind you, a doctor of half his stature in his domain are running "assembly line" of HTs.

2 To the point, He will tell you what an HT will do for you and what it will not. Also, he will stick to proven methods and medications. No bullshit at all.

3 I wanted to get PRP's after my HT just because everyone was getting them. He told me that It may work 50% of the time and that's why he doesn't often recommend them. Then, he asked me to come visit him every 3 months to get a PRP, and he will give me one free of cost. I think I must have taken 4-5 PRP sessions with him. Again, this was just on a casual visit to his clinic around 2 months after my HT, he was under no obligation to give me PRP's after my HT.

4 On a regular visit to his clinic for PRP, around 5 months after my HT, he asked me if I had a day to spare in Chandigarh. He said he wanted to give a touchup along the hairline just to make it a little more robust. The next day, he transplanted around 200-250 grafts more. Again No charges. I could see that this doctor really cared about my outcome as much as me.

5 Even after 3 years, Dr. Bhatti is just an email away. Any question about any medication or anything related to hair loss. No Problem at all

Regarding the forum GTO, it's genuine stuff mostly. Eugenix are quite good and that's why you would see only happy reviews over there. Same would be the case with Dr. Bhatti.
However, there are also doctor representatives on the forum. Just search Nelson over there, he is Eugenix's representative. He has a complete thread on his HT

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.c...comment-639335

But he has declared that he is Eugenix's representative. Dr. Bhatti also used to have representatives, especially one for different countries like UK, USA, Canada etc.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st May 2022 at 11:10. Reason: back to back posts merged
WanderinNomad is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks