Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2022, 11:05   #16
BHPian

Re: A lighthearted poke at bikers!

True except for us it was night time after 1AM during college days (03-04) and it was chilled shakes at juice places near Taj Blue Diamond in Pune.

The ride planning started at 11PM and it was free night sms packs that came in handy. We didn't had proper riding gears at that time and helmets were unheard things in Pune, plus who wouldn't want cold air on their face to let go their sleepiness while riding 300 - 600cc's of muscle. We did vroomed all the way but in those times you would hardly see a soul on pune highway roads other than college students returning from their parties.
Sran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 11:07   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Lol, cracked me up, and majority of this is true. One of the reasons I stopped riding with groups after sometime, though I have had my share of almost everything above in one form or another.

What also happens is that majority of the bicycle riders on my stretch that i frequent, generally with 2-3 bikers, all of you do get a thumbs up from me. I am sure you would have got your share of thumbs up as well!!

Last edited by AtheK : 28th September 2022 at 11:20.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 11:43   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Lol. How true. I made the mistake of stopping at the same Nandi restaurant while on a RE650 parked among the esteemed bikes mentioned above (gasp!) while on a much longer trip to a different city ahead on that highway.

Unaware of the above thoughts - how naive of me! I wonder what would have been the thoughts of the majority of the biker groups who were already doing the aforementioned activities.

Honestly never been and never will be part of any such groups - I have been invited and have avoided the RE riding groups that happen across most cities and I go LOL at even the tbhpians doing 1000 pics of their cars from every direction including from above (using drones) and under the body. But I guess that's what men do with their toys (bikes, cars and even cycles!).
ninjatalli is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 11:57   #19
BHPian

Ah! so it was you @Secretariat, holding up the left lane and causing the traffic snarl on the Airport Road!

To be honest, I agree with you 100% on the IPH/Nandi Upachar junta.
My haunt is further upstream, which serves my piping hot tandoori paranthas glazed with butter. Now, that's something that you won't get in the city.

This is wrapped by 2 glasses of fennel laced tea on either side! ah heaven!

The best part of the weekend excursion is when the big boys show up with their 4 wheeled toys. The growl of the naturally aspirated 12 cylinders, makes for the silly ride.

For those who are not familiar, Nandi Upachar also serves some nice hot jalebis with rabdi, which can give the calorie counters terrible nightmares.

Thanks to the proximity to the Airport Road, I get to relish the empty stretches on weekdays and weeknights as well.

Btw, spot on with your observations on the Ground Staff crew! Not sure what they expect though!
aqualeo2040 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 12:26   #20
BHPian

quite apt, I believe. Breakfast riders and vloggers have already caused enough problems for regular/old school riders.

Breakfast ride 10/15 years ago used to find a trail/b-roads, have fun, and have a late breakfast to celebrate coming back in one piece.

Now all highway sections are nightmares, with people racing, droning, and blinking hazard lights.

I especially do not get that blinking hazard lights part. why, do people do that? Definitely doesn't look cool from any angle, it puts you in danger as well.
abtyagi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 12:34   #21
BHPian

Nicely written @Secretariat, brought a smile to my lips on an otherwise dull and boring day at work.

Many of the thoughts you listed are why I personally avoid large groups.
If I may, adding a few of my observations here:

1. Announce themselves (revving the bike in neutral) as they arrive at / depart from the venue - how else would you justify the astronomical amounts spent on the Akrapovic / Yoshimura full system exhaust

2. Parade the myriad of accessories fitted on their bikes, recount stories of how they had to run from pillar to post to get their stuff through customs

3. Tyres - Examine tyre wear (look for chicken strips) on other bikes and make mental notes of how the rider rides his bike
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 12:44   #22
BHPian

Thanks @Secretariat for the lightening up my mid week.

The pics of Ganesh Grand reminds of umpteen times I had breakfast, lunch, and dinner here during my travel between BLR and Hindupur, but never got lucky enough to come across these bikers there.

I always dream of owning a big bike, but keep reminding myself that my lazy bum is not destined for this
Everlearner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 12:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Versys 650 (Price Rs 7.36 L).
Quote:
V-Strom (Price Rs 8.88 L)
Quote:
CB650R (Price Rs 8.88 L)
Quote:
BMW F900 R (Price Rs 10.8 L)
Quote:
(The Rs 13.49 L beauty )
Quote:
ZX-10R (Price Rs 13.99 L).
Quote:
Ducati Panigale V4S (Price Rs 32 L) or the BMW M 1000 RR (Price Rs 42 L).
Thanks for that price list.

I am not a biker. I have nothing to do with that tribe which sports leather, beard and that attitude.

I will, however, fight for the rights of the most genial and wonderful beasts called motorcycles. This particular species has many different sub species and one of them is what you are describing. Most of them, as you no doubt know, are harmless and domesticated. They mostly inhabit the concrete jungle and are just beasts of burden. They carry on their duty with the nonchalance of a donkey. Their wild counterparts (the one who you are describing),on the other hand, belong to wide open spaces, mountain trails, rocky facades and by nature (and construction) are scary. Its not their fault if they look gorgeous and prey on smaller beings like "my puny bicycle" . God (Sorry, Man) made them that way.

So lets leave the beasts out of this shall we?.

Last edited by srini1785 : 28th September 2022 at 12:51.
srini1785 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 13:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
This is wrapped by 2 glasses of fennel laced tea on either side! ah heaven!
Sounds like heaven already but this needs a location(please) and thanks for the tip on Nandini Upachar, will do the needful if I am around
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 14:00   #25
BHPian

"Note that the decimal points in the price have vanished !"

Damn, I almost choked trying to control my laughter in office!

This line takes the cake!!!!

But for a non-biker, you are extremely knowledgeable about bikes. Yet you ride a cycle.

Does that have to do something with the old lady at home???? Or, do you prefer to buy your aloo bhaaji early?
amitayu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 14:23   #26
BHPian

Man, I was literally ROFL reading this thread, while your mention about REs being banished to the Doddaballapura road takes the cake. But try to overtake me on my Himalayan if I don’t give 2 hoots about the lousy FE!
But yes, a group of bikers walking into Nandi upachar with the riding jacket, with gloves on like they’re gonna prepare the doses themselves, the tap-tap of the riding boots on the granite floor (me as one of the few, the proud) and looking like zombies with those helmets (that doesn’t even remotely resemble the plastic shell abomination that Vega advertises as all terrain helmets), does make for a Vishuvardhan Simhadriya Simha style entry.

Mod Note: Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP.
Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post and use smileys only from Team-BHP.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th September 2022 at 15:01.
100Kmphormore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 15:09   #27
SKU

Nice write up Secretariat. It brought several smiles while reading through. I visualized while reading.
I have seen the riders on Airport road on several occasions. someday i hope to be among them. Oh not the ones on airport road , but the ones on Doddaballpur road.
Some day....Some day...
SKU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 15:13   #28
BHPian

Hahaha!! really nice write up @Secretariat.

What can I say, just joined this mentioned club since last two weeks after I got the delivery of my bike.
From now will definitely slow when I see a cyclist when I travel on airport road.

Still laughing while typing a reply !!!
.sourov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 15:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Please don't take this thread seriously ! This is just to elicit a chuckle or two from the casual browsers of this forum. Whoever said petrolheads are not capable of an occasional laugh at themselves. Sit back, relax and smile once or twice.
Loved it. Absolutely hilarious. You are a great observer and may I add an even better writer. You should consider writing a satire book or maybe a weekly column in a newspaper or magazine or something.

I can totally relate to much of what you have said here. I am car guy whereas my brother is a bike guy and we always end up listing out pros and cons of each others choice. And guess what, he owns a Kawasaki Versys 650 (7.36 L) too .
Kickdown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 15:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Whenever, wherever, however Secretariat runs, it leaves all competitors far behind!

For those who are experiencing the OP's magic for the first time, here are a couple more of his awesome threads.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bicyc...e-20-kmph.html (Life in the slow lane, at 20 kmph)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-detailer.html (Confessions of a novice trying to imitate a Detailer!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...bangalore.html (Why I think the Flying Car should debut in Bangalore)

@Secretariat, can't stop

Please write more often .
dailydriver is online now   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks