Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2022, 11:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Your favourite food items in your favourite fast food chains

McDonalds - The Maharaja Mac (veg) any day. The extra corn and peas patty with addition of that orange cheese with spices is awesome compared to the otherwise drab single patty choices like McVeggie, McSpicy etc. The American cheese supreme is just served as the above with another orange cheese slice. One thing i do not understand is those dried to death cabbage. why cant that be fresh atleast?

Dominos - never a fan. As a student and on a 100 rupee budget once a month they used to be our saviour for a lunch + movie visit with friends. The thin crust was too dry and used to leave blisters in the mouth, the cheese burst also as well since the boiling liquid cheese would suddenly rush out and cause a burn! As GTO said, homemade pizza or the likes of woodfire pizzas is the choice for me, though expenive.

Burger King/KFC - KFC is not a place for vegetarians period. Tried their whopper meal and was put off by the smoky flavour. The fries were good at both places. Whopper burger of Burger King is good, thanks to the olives, corn and jalapenos. Wish they had their onion rings here.

Pizza Hut - This really celebrated pizza in India. The thicker crust and better taste, quality of toppings though a little more expensive compared to Dominos have made them preferred for people who have moved up to the woodfire cafe pizzas. Nice ambience and comfortable seating sealed the deal. I was a regular to the BDA 2nd stage outlet once i started working and order delivery if theres no other choice.
100Kmphormore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 11:46   #17
BHPian

When I was in my early 20s and in London, everyday I used to eat either at Burger king, McD, KFC or Pret for 2 years for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I started hating these fast food chains and shifted to Wasabi, Wagamama. But lost interest in them too

Then I shifted to US/Canada and started hating Taco Bell, Popeye, Dominos, etc pretty early.

Now I avoid these fast food chains if there is any other decent choice available. Mall setup helps, so that family can buy the junk they want and I can stick to my choice of food.

My favorite fast food still remains the humble and original fast food of Bangalore - Idli Vade, bonda bajji and filter coffee.

But from time to time, I do indulge in -

Burger King - Recently had their Masala Whopper and liked it

Domino's - Like their Cheese Burst crust with loaded meat pizza

CCD - During Travel, like to stop at CCD for their relaxed atmosphere and clean washrooms.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 11:49   #18
BHPian

Nice thread to start the weekend!

I love the burgers, fries and other stuff served by these big brand fast food chains. But, nothing tickles my taste buds like the fast food served on the streets across India.

In Delhi NCR, the roadside Gupta/Jain burger is as good an evening snack as any burger from McDonalds or Burger King. Then there are other places like the Ram Ladoo from Lajpat Nagar or numerous Chaat outlets serving pani puri and aloo ticki. If you are looking for more, then there is always a Chole Bhature corner nearby which you can't go wrong with.

If non veg is your thing, then there are places which serve delicious tangri fries (Rajender da dhaba), kebabs, tikkas, rolls (all across NCR).

I stayed for some time in Jaipur and always loved the mirchi vada and onion kachori you get on the streets. And then head to MM Khan hotel (Ramganj bazaar) in the evening to munch on the delicious chicken tawa fry.

During my stay in Kerala, I enjoyed the boiled and fried snack they prepare from kappa (Tapioca). And then there are various places in Trivandrum which serve wonderful chicken shawarma.
TheVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 11:54   #19

This is a super fun thread! Great idea.

My favourites are as below -

McDonalds - McSpicy Chicken Meal, French Fries and Coke

KFC - Chicken Bucket, Chicken Popcorn, French Fries (Their french fries have recently come up to the high standards of McDonalds' fries and Pepsi

Dominoes - Chicken Dominator (Cheese Burst), Stuffed Garlic Bread and Coke

Bikanervala - Chole Bhature and Fresh Lime Soda

Nando's - 1/2 Chicken Sharing Platter + Bottomless Coke

Nirula's - Mint Chocolate Icecream

Subway - Subway Subway Subway, I don't like - I avoid - But Subway likes me, I cant avoid! - Chicken Teriyaki Sub
MoonShot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 12:25   #20
BHPian

I love eating! A rather absurd and quite frankly unhealthy statement to make, but I stand by it. I love eating healthy, cooking healthy, but I fully believe we live to eat and exercise to eat and so it is absolutely alright to indulge your tummy and your tongue sufficiently.

I've eaten fast food in 5 different countries, having lived in three different countries, and I have a very bold claim to make. The most favourite fast food item I've consumed is the McSpicy, and that too in India because it is the spiciest here when compared to Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, and England. Malaysia's McDonald's had the tastiest mayonnaise though, how I don't know.

However, my favourite fast food chain has to be Nando's. Their chicken is out of the world, and their flavour profiles are exemplary. Another fast food chain that I enjoy a lot is this one called Oporto which is Australian; we ate there regularly when we lived there. Really truly wish they open branches in India, but that's a far-fetched dream.

McDonald's also has the better fried chicken when compared to KFC, at least in Chennai. Here's my list:

McDonald's:
- McSpicy Chicken (Burger)
- McSpicy Fried Chicken
- McCafe Hot Chocolate (absolutely love)

Burger King (Hungry Jacks):
- Masala Whopper
- Their softie is the superior one
- FRIES

KFC:
- Popcorn Chicken
- Twister wrap

Nando's:
- Can't go wrong with anything, to be honest.
- Peri-peri chicken

Subway:
- Sub of the day (surprise me)
- Double chocolate chip cookie
Absolutely love Subway. There was one near my school, my friends and I would pool in money and share a sub or a cookie once a week. Probably not super healthy in hindsight, but we'd each get two bites or three maximum, so all is well I suppose.

I haven't tried Chili's yet. Really badly want to have Cinnabon and Wendy's but neither have found their way to Chennai till now. I also enjoy Taco Bell, but haven't eaten there enough to comment. You can't go wrong with a PSL at Starbucks but it is way too expensive to be counted as fast food, at least in India.

Regarding Pizza Hut and Domino's, please search for better (cheaper also sometimes) pizza joints in your respective cities. The lesser said, the better. Lola's and Fat Boy in Chennai come to mind but they're a little more expensive, but fully worth the extra cost.

Last edited by sunnysideup_ : 28th October 2022 at 12:30.
sunnysideup_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 12:41   #21
BHPian

MCD
1. Chicken Maharaja Mac
2. Fillet o Fish
3. Large Coke
4. Large fries

KFC
1. Chicken Zinger
2. Lemonade

BK
1. Mutton Whooper

Mani's
1. Medu Wada

Sridutta
1. Kothinmbir Wadi
2. Sabudana Khichadi
3. Misal

Dominoe's
1. Veg farmhouse
2. Chicken tikka

Chains for me is a decent hygenic stop for toilets... More often, I end up having local food (Ganna juice, Bhel, Vada Pav, Mutton Bhakri, Biryani) from local eateries after having a stop for toilets

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 28th October 2022 at 12:43.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 12:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Echoing what 1.2TSI says, Fast food chains = restroom stop plus the occasional coffee/ burger/ fries only to acknowledge their services. And worse case, to order in a pizza on a lazy weekend . But I generally find pizzas made by regular city restaurants to be better tasting honestly. Otherwise its Wada pav or misal or some South Indian fare while on the road.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 13:31   #23
BHPian

What an unique and interesting thread. I do indulge in junk once in 2 weeks and being in Mumbai there is an abundance of choices. My current favorites are:

McDonalds
- McVeggie
- Veg American Supreme
- Peri Peri fries
- Paneer wrap and Spicy Paneer burger

Burger King
- Veg whooper (if really hungry) or their Junior veg whooper

KFC
- Veg zinger (go there being a veggie as their burger is amazingly fresh)

Subway
- I love the hara bhara / mexican pattie with southwest, mayo, red chilly and sweet onion sauces. Also in veggies I only get lettuce, onions, tomato and capsicum and specifically no salt and pepper.

Dominos
- Garlic bread with their cheese dip
- Pizzas I do not prefer it much, but when we order I get the cheese burst crust

Taco bell
No where compared to the USA, but once a awhile I do indulge in their veg 7 layer burrito wrap. There is nothing comparable in to this in India

Shiv Sagar Cumbala Hill
- 3 bean tacos
- Their panner butter masala and butter naan. Can swear by this on any given day

Santosh Sagar Nepean sea Road
- Jain masala pav with garlic chutney
- Pav Bhaji

Bade Miya
- Paneer burji and roomali roti
BHPjunkie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 13:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

My favorite fast foods are -

1. Wada Pav (every 2 weeks)
2. Pattice (every 2 weeks)
3. Samosa - Kachori (1-2 times a month)
4. Chat items (1-2 times a month)
5. Kacchi Dabeli (Once in 2-3 months)
6. Misal (once in a month)
7. Momos (1-2 times a month)

I am not brand specific here. There are many joints in Pune or surroundings who provide above fast food items. Everyone has different taste & that's the fun. You will get at least 15-20 different tastes just for Misal in Pune & I love most of them. Variety is the best thing you get here in India. Same item, different taste.

In case of branded chains, I hardly eat in Domino's, Pizza Hut, Subway, McD, etc. I prefer proper lunch/dinner over it or will have Thai/Chinese food instead. If not hungry enough, I prefer to go to south Indian hotels and have Dosa, Uttapa, etc.
Old 28th October 2022, 13:46   #25
BHPian

As a policy, I have ditched the American Fast Food chains for good. I never voluntarily walk into one or order online. The smaller brands or standalone ones are much much better.

But as a quick snack, I enjoy Vada Pav, Samosa from local shops. I am sure, every area has one shop where you get lip smacking Vada Pav. Shree Datta (Goregaon) used to be my go to earlier. and the red powder chutney they give. But the quality is no longer the same.

If I have time, then I walk into any nearby South Indian Hotel for a Dosa/Idli.
DieselAnna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 13:47   #26
BHPian

I prefer home food on most days. I settle my fast-food craving whenever I travel officially or once every 3 months along with family.

Oven Story
Standout Pizza – Maharaja Veg / Exotic veggie and Hazelnut brownie. I like Ovenstory pizzas as they are fresh compared to others IMHO.

Starbucks
Freshly brewed coffee - hazelnut flavored or hot chocolate paired with almond cookie. Preference depends on my mood at that time.

CCD – I like to stop at CCD for their clean washrooms during road travel. I usually buy a Cold coffee or Frappe, sit, and relax while sipping. I usually feel fresh after a relaxed coffee break.
Old 28th October 2022, 14:08   #27
BHPian

After 22 years of living in multiple countries and eating some foods that most would not even like to know, Idli/Vada remains my favorite fast food. I wasn’t even born in Idli/Vada region. I have driven 100 KM for Idli/Vada!

Last edited by Theyota : 28th October 2022 at 14:10.
Old 28th October 2022, 14:08   #28
BHPian

Taco Bell is the only fast food I go out of the way to eat. Rest are pretty non-compelling to me. I'd be interested in seeing In-N-Out, Chick-fil-A, and Chipotle in India though.
Yieldway17 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 15:20   #29
BHPian

in the US, my favorites were Chick-Fil-A and Oberweis Ice Cream. Gyros and greek food were also nice every now and then from any of the family owned Mom and Pop shops.

Ate KFC once in US and vowed never eat there again. KFC Junk in India is much better than KFC Junk in the US.

In India, CCD meals are okay. Tried all other places like McD, KFC, etc and they are not safe for my stomach is what I feel. I think its safer to eat vegetarian options like paneer than to go looking for Chicken, beef etc.
Non Veg options are best cooked at home: safer for stomach and way cheaper to get the taste you like.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 19:34   #30
BHPian

Greetings Team,
My list
Dominos : My first date ever was at Domino's way back in 99 followed by many such dates. After marriage we both would visit and later with our daughter for the memorable moments we had at this place.

Always liked Domino's pizza over Pizzahut.
I am a fan of their now discontinued Baked Paneer Samosa and ofcourse their Pizza.
We have pizza almost twice in two months period.

Coffee Day : I remember having Cafe Frappe for the first time in my college in Chennai and it has been my favourite ever since.

Subway : When my daughter was 4 or 5 years old, she used to look over the prep counter and would ask me to lift her up so that she can see how they are making the sub
She loves the Subs and their cookies.

The favourite is Grilled Chicken Sub with Parmesan and Oregano bread.
We frequent this place for their healthy options
once in a month or when ever we get an opportunity as the place we live doesn't have a Subway.

McDonalds : Like every parent, we went twice or thrice to McD's but once we had their newly introduced roll which tasted like plastic and artificial.
My daughter said NO and we had a big relief.
Never been to one in almost a decade.

KFC : Only Chicken Strips allowed from here once in 2 months.

Burger king : Visited the outlet in Hyderabad when they opened for the first time for their Chicken Fries and A whopper.
The last visit was 3 years ago in the US.

Krispy Kreme & Dunkin Donuts : I am a huge fan of donuts and Thoms Bakery Donuts are my favourite.

During my college days in early 2000's i used to gorge on their donuts and would ask my friends who's traveling from Bangalore to Hyderabad to bring me few.

Ever since the 2 world renowned makers opened outlets in Hyderabad, i pick their 12's pack on 1 or 2 important occasions in a year and relish them with my daughter.

Most of these Fast food places have very fond memories attached especially Domino's, Subway and Coffee Day.
That's the only reason we frequent these places.

Drive Safe.

Last edited by matchvan : 28th October 2022 at 19:46.
matchvan is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks