Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2022, 01:05   #1
BHPian

Your favourite food items in your favourite fast food chains

Greetings fellow Bhpians!
We have a dedicated thread on coffee, cooking, movies, tv shows, etc. But we don't have any thread of our favorite orders in famous standardized fast food outlets across the country like Mcdonalds, Burger King, KFC, Subway, Pizza Hut, Domino's, etc.

When I visited a Burger King Outlet yesterday, I wondered what new I should order rather than my standard order here. So I called my close friend to ask him about his favorites on their menu and tried a new Burger which I loved so much that I might replace my go-to order with that!

As always, while waiting for the meal that I ordered, I was scrolling through unread threads on Team-bhp (yes, we enthusiasts don't scroll insta/fb but Team-bhp), I wondered if there is any discussion thread here on this topic, and found none.

That is why I am looking forward to starting this new thread on "Your Favourite Order/Items in different Fast Food Outlets".

Here are my favorites when I visit:-
1. Mcdonalds -
  • Mc Aloo Tikki Meal (Aloo Tikki Burger w/ Cheese Slice, Cold Coffee, Small Fries)
  • McSpicy Paneer Burger
  • Pizza Mcpuff
  • Mcflurry Oreo
2. Burger King -
  • Veg Makhni Burst Burger
  • Tikki Twist Burger
  • Veg Crunchy Volcano
  • Veg Whopper Burger w/ Cheese
  • Veggie Strips
3. KFC -
  • Tandoori Zinger Box Meal (Tandoori Zinger Burger, 2 Pc Hot Wings, Fries, Pepsi)
  • Popcorn Chicken Biryani Bucket
  • Veg Krisper Burger w/ Cheese
  • 7up Krush Lime
  • Hot and Crispy Chicken
4. Domino's
  • Non-Veg Supreme Pizza
  • Chicken Dominator Pizza
  • Indi Tandoori Paneer Pizza
  • Tikka Masala Pasta (Veg or Non Veg)
  • Paneer Tikka Stuffed Garlic Bread
  • Classic Garlic Bread with Cheesy Dip
  • Veg Parcel
  • Choco Lava Cake
5. Subway -
Visited twice with a friend who loves Subway but both times I came back disappointed. I just can't figure out what sauces and veggies combination I may or may not like and I can't accept cold veggies inside a sub/sandwich, lol.

6. Chaayos -
  • Desi Chai
  • Sulemani Nimbu Chai
  • Samosa Matar Chaat

Last edited by Rambo-RS : 27th October 2022 at 02:52.
Rambo-RS is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 10:32   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your favourite food items in your favourite fast food chains

Uniquely fun thread . Thanks for sharing! I'm not much of a fast food outlet person as I'm big on fresh & healthy food, but do indulge once in a while. My favourites:

McDonalds

- Their black coffee. It's my favourite! This is a weekly fix with every highway drive.

- If hungry, I'll get their spicy paneer wrap. Added bonus = easy to eat outside the car quickly. Once in 3 months, maybe.

Pizza Hut

- Stuffed cheese crust Tandoori Paneer. Once in 3 months, maybe.

Subway

- LOVE Subway. Usually a foot-long veggie delight subway with extra cheese. This is my go-to place in a food court if every other option is junk.

Dominos

- Cheese Burst, peppy paneer. Don't remember the last time we called from Dominos as we much prefer fresh pizzas made at home or indie restaurants (like Farmer's Cafe or Tertulia). Dominos pizzas taste good, but are the definition of junk.

Shiv Sagar

- If you can count the many Shiv Sagars, Sukh Sagars etc. as chains, then my favourite is cheese pav bhaji or medu vada. They usually have very good strong tea as well .

I don't like KFC. Love Taco Bell abroad, but didn't like the rubbish they're churning out here. Never been a Starbucks guy.

Last edited by GTO : 27th October 2022 at 10:41.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 12:17   #3
BHPian

I grew up in a village and studied in small towns. So, never had interest in franchise fast food style eateries. In college days used to have local snacks from our own tea shops, bakeries and juice stalls - Favorites were Bajji(plantain/chilli fritters), vadas(spinach, moong dal, masala), and desi beverage ragi malt.

But that all changed when I started working and was living in length and breadth of the country. We were so regular to some of the eateries that we had special privileges like delivery from McD even before there was McDelivery in the area, late hour orders - packed and hidden outside the eatery when it is closed for the day. But we had only limited exposure to the fast food chains even then. This was 'those were the days-bachelor times'.

Favorites during this period:

KFC:
  • Zinger meal - Chicken
  • Rice bowl with popcorn - the gravy taste now is not the same.

McDonalds:
  • McSpicy Chicken Meal
  • McFloats from the McCafe.

Kolkata Kathi rolls:
  • Double Egg Chicken roll

Dominos:
  • Any Cheese Burst - but especially pepper barbeque chicken or pepper & Onion(they don't have this on menu now I guess).
  • Garlic bread sticks - stuffed.

Starbucks:
  • Hazelnut flavored - Anything!

During pandemic years - we had a break and no outside food for over 2 years. But now the frenzy restarted.

Current favorites are,

Wow momos:
  • Steamed chicken momos

KFC:
  • Peri Peri Chicken strips
  • Zinger Burger - not the same level of quality as before, but still ok

McDonalds:
  • Cheesy Nuggets
  • McSpicy chicken meal

Burger King:
  • Chicken Whopper
  • Sweet Potato fries - Tried in Europe

MAX Premium burgers:
  • Crispy Chicken meal

Cafe Coffee day:
  • Eclair
- tried only once in Delhi few years back, but boy it was good, not able to find again anywhere.

Last edited by saikarthik : 27th October 2022 at 12:18.
saikarthik is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 12:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikarthik View Post

Wow momos:
  • Steamed chicken momos

I'd add:
Chicken wrapped prawns.
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 13:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Kind of in a soup here, as we used to have a monthly fast food visit while in Riyadh, but in my home city, Thiruvananthapuram, big fast food chains only started coming in the last five years, with the exception of KFC and Subway who came a decade ago. So my exposure to the current situation is limited.

McDonalds

More of a nostalgia exercise for me. Even though the Big M opened shop in India and Saudi Arabia around the same time, my home town got an outlet only four years ago. Used to small cozy private cubicles, huge play areas and Happy meals in Riyadh, my first visit to McD, Forum Mall,Bengaluru in 2004 was a cultural shock. No play area, open dining area with no privacy and the Maharaja Mac had a spicy taste. The ice cream machine was not working too.

Had almost all the burgers/wraps in their menu, but my favourite would be the normal McChicken with none of the spicy stuff (for nostalgia) and the soft ice cream.

Pizza Hut

Haven't had one in India, just mentioning as this was our go to place in Riyadh for pizza.

Dominoes

With their wide spread nature and offers, this is our go to place for pizzas in India. Mostly the Veg Extravaganza.

Subway

Am cool with cold food, but somehow, Subway sandwiches don't really appeal to me. To be frank, had them only twice in my life. So not saying much.

KFC

Except for one store in a mall in Coimbatore, I felt the chicken served in KFC stores in Kerala, Chennai and Bengaluru are somewhat poor in nature. Either they are too oily or too crispy or too salty. The KFC stores in Tvm are just poor. Not just KFC, most fast food joints serving fried chicken are taking the spicy/crispy route all too serious. Would prefer broasted over fried chicken anyday. My cousins used to say KFCs in USA, Canada and India are poor compared to the KFC taste in Saudi/UAE.

Burger King

Novelty for me, since I have visited a Burger King only once in Riyadh. Their chicken options are less than beef options compared to McD, so we always went to McD (play area helped). But had one Mutton burger in Burger King, Ernakulam. Liked it. A Burger King opened in my city last year and ordered a Mutton whooper. But it had more of ketchup than mayo and more jalapenos/ pickles. Is this what original American burger tastes like?

All said. I should admit I am not really a regular in these fast food joints. Not that I am health conscious or against imperialist/capitalist fast food chains. It is just that I have much more VFM options in and around my hometown. Ofcourse, they are not fast food, but the sheer VFM nature and taste means, we would go to local joints like Turf Bistro or Pentaden for our burger fixes. Also, nowadays they offer more variety of chicken and veg options too, unlike earlier when most of the local joints would offer only a simple pre-cooked chicken burger compared to the more variety of beef burgers in their menu.
DicKy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 14:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dominos
I mention them first because they used to serve my all time favorite item from any fast-food joint- Cinnamon sticks with apple sauce it was served just as they do their garlic bread and I keep regularly writing to them to bring it back but to no avail perhaps I am the only one who remembers and misses this

I used to LOVE their cheese-burst pizza with bbq chicken but I think they have modified their cheese and even their cheese-burst crust so now I hardly ever order from there

MickeyDs
McSpicy Chicken burger

KFC
Love their Zinger and another discontinued item that they had for a brief while; the Chizza literally pizza sauce, veggies and cheese on a fried chicken base what more could one want from their favorite fried chicken outlet. Alas I guess this is another food item that only I loved and nobody else seemed to like.

Tibbs
Double egg chettinad chicken frankie
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 14:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not much a lover of Junk food and hence not so frequent visitor to the outlets as well. But if I have to pick a favourite out of the lot it is Subway with a footlong on rye/honey oat bread loaded with all veggies (no patties) and Chipotle, chilly mayo sauce.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 15:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow. I just realised I am not much into fast food at all! Mental note made to discuss this with wifey.

I don’t care for McDonalds or KFC or Pizza Hut or Subway or Dominos and their ilk. Prefer eating hot and fresh food, be it at Haldirams or Sagar Ratnas or the innumerable dhabas on Indian roads.

From the big chains, I like the McDonalds iced tea. And the iced Americano at Starbucks. Nothing more.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 27th October 2022 at 15:03.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 16:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I avoid fast food chains like the plague, especially the American ones (McD, KFC, etc.). I still hit the Indian ones when I have no other choice (e.g. in the food court of a mall)

Kailash Parbat
- Only for their chaat items

Subway
- Generally pick a 6 inch or foot long subways

CCD
- Filter coffee is pretty decent (although atrociously priced); generally avoid the rest

<XYZ> Udupi restaurants
- My go-to safe place when there's no option. This might be the Kamats or the Shiv Sagars in MH, or the numerous 'Udupi' named options spread across Karnataka.

Chipotle is one fast food chain I'd love to see in India. It was my go-to place in the US.
ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 16:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Chipotle is one fast food chain I'd love to see in India. It was my go-to place in the US.
Wholeheartedly agree on Chipotle. It was my comfort food in the US. Not to mention healthy too.
catchjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 16:50   #11
BHPian

Unique thread idea! Here are my favourites whenever I don’t really know what to get from a proper standalone restaurant or I’m at an airport:

KFC
6 x Boneless Chicken Strips
Regular Chicken Popcorn

McDonalds
9x Chicken McNuggets (I wish there was a size between 9 and 20)
Regular Fries - nothing comes close to McDonald’s fries!
————
My usual McDonalds breakfast favourites:
Sausage and Cheese McMuffin
Hash Brown
Hot Cakes (guilty pleasure!)
Iced Coffee

Burger King
Crispy Chicken Double Patty Burger
Chicken Fries (occasionally)

Starbucks
Masala Chicken Croissant
Huge cold brew fan, so whatever new cold brew comes in
Arsenic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 18:12   #12
BHPian

McDonalds
Filet-o-fish with French Fries
Fx14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 18:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

This thread makes me feel old!

Remember the days when four of us used to go to Pizza hut, order 4 large pepperoni pizzas with extra cheese and extra pepperoni and pepsi in a pitcher!

Waiter would ask us to move to a bigger table!

Not a fan of McD. Always preferred Burger King's Whoppers. Shame that beef is not available on the menu here. Any trip abroad would find me eating a whopper for at least lunch or dinner

Subway: Chicken teriyaki any day!

Burgers: Prefer local burger joints.
deathwalkr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 18:23   #14
BHPian

I've stopped eating burgers or other foods at the American burger chains completely. Thanks to their drab and bland food.

A big no no:
McD, Burger King (I'd rather go hungry), Dominos (except their garlic bread) are a big big no.

OK OK:
KFC's zinger is acceptable if there is nothing else. Subway if fine.

Preferred:
I generally prefer to eat at local places or garden variety Udupi places. Up north, Sukhdev/ Haveli dhabas or any other dhabas which serve piping hot paranthas and dal makhni and other chat items.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 21:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

My tryst with fast food/junk food happened during my poverty spec student days in US, few have got carried over:

Burger King
In US, Used to prefer BK for ring sauce, which added some spice to their whoppers. And the chocolate shake.
In India its a tad too spicy for my taste.

Taco Bell
In US, Bean baja chalupa and cheesy fiesta potatoes. In India, the equivalent is the Pinto bean Veg chalupa, forgot the equivalent for the latter.
Made me a tex-mex fan.

Subway

Veggie/Aloo Patty sandwich on honey oat with southwest and honey mustard

Quizno

Veggie sandwich on Rosemary Parmesan and Brocolli cheese soup in US. Their Indian venture was a total disaster.

McDonalds
Only their chocolate shake in India.

Other notable mentions - Not necessarily chains
  • Rava dosa in Karnataka's Sagars. Has its own taste.
  • Rajdhani - Mostly for their malpua than their rotis. Have been longing for aamras, never got a chance to visit in summer.
  • Ristorante Iguana in Venezia - Visited this place over a dozen times in years I spent in Italy. This was 200 kms away.
  • Chipotle - Last had in Paris in 2014. Wish it was established here.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks