Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2022, 00:05   #1
Team-BHP Support

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)

OpenAI.com's (co-founded by Elon Musk) ChatGPT AI chatbot has been trending on Twitter during the weekend. Apparently, folks are using it to solve tough coding problems, homework and even as a replacement for Google search.

ChatGPT using Open AI solves coding problems for free, may put jobs of many coders at risk in future
https://www.indiatoday.in/technology...491-2022-12-02

Quote:
Many users on Twitter claim that OpenAI's ChatGPT write and review codes within seconds. The company notes that ChatGPT is designed to offer a simpler, jargon-free reply to users.
Gents, do sign up for ChatGPT and let us know if Indian IT industry is doomed.
https://chat.openai.com

I posted some questions and here are the replies from the AI chatbot:

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot_1.png

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot_2.png

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot_3.png

ChatGPT actually helped me decide on a title for one of the threads:

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot_5.png

More news articles on ChatGPT:

ChatGPT Is Mind-Blowing — Everything You Need To Know
https://levelup.gitconnected.com/cha...w-9e03fdb0b370

The ChatGPT chatbot from OpenAI is amazing, creative, and totally wrong
https://mashable.com/article/chatgpt-amazing-wrong

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th December 2022 at 10:40.
SmartCat is online now   (49) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 12:04   #2
BHPian

re: The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)

This is pretty wild and entertaining. ChatGPT already has reached 1 million users in 5 days. The fastest other social media to reach 1 million users was Instagram in 2.5 months.

I played around a bit and the results were...interesting
Attached Thumbnails
The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-chat-gpt-example.jpg  

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-play-chatgpt.jpg  

Attached Images

ValarMorghulis is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 12:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
I played around a bit and the results were...interesting
Kiragoorina Gayyaligalu - interesting ChatGPT is influenced by Ramnagara Kannada dialect.
AltoLXI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 12:20   #4
BHPian

I tried a few with coding and it gave very good answers and here are a few on cars and driving.

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-1.png

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 4258
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  3.PNG
Views: 4261
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  4.PNG
Views: 4285
Size:  24.7 KB
chaitanyakrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 12:53   #5
BHPian

Some coding examples. @Mods, please merge my posts. Sorry for separate posts.

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-image_2022_12_06t02_02_48_984z.png

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-image_2022_12_06t02_04_28_902z.png
chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 13:15   #6
BHPian

This will be exploited by candidates during interviews.
I asked "print boundary of bst" and I got the solution in few seconds.
lokesharo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 13:41   #7
BHPian

Stackoverflow has posted this here

Quote:
Use of ChatGPT generated text for content on Stack Overflow is temporarily banned.
This is a temporary policy intended to slow down the influx of answers and other content created with ChatGPT. What the final policy will be regarding the use of this and other similar tools is something that will need to be discussed with Stack Overflow staff and, quite likely, here on Meta Stack Overflow.

Overall, because the average rate of getting correct answers from ChatGPT is too low, the posting of answers created by ChatGPT is substantially harmful to the site and to users who are asking or looking for correct answers.

The primary problem is that while the answers which ChatGPT produces have a high rate of being incorrect, they typically look like they might be good and the answers are very easy to produce. There are also many people trying out ChatGPT to create answers, without the expertise or willingness to verify that the answer is correct prior to posting. Because such answers are so easy to produce, a large number of people are posting a lot of answers. The volume of these answers (thousands) and the fact that the answers often require a detailed read by someone with at least some subject matter expertise in order to determine that the answer is actually bad has effectively swamped our volunteer-based quality curation infrastructure.

As such, we need to reduce the volume of these posts and we need to be able to deal with the ones which are posted quickly, which means dealing with users, rather than individual posts. So, for now, the use of ChatGPT to create posts here on Stack Overflow is not permitted. If a user is believed to have used ChatGPT after this temporary policy is posted, sanctions will be imposed to prevent users from continuing to post such content, even if the posts would otherwise be acceptable.

While the above text focuses on answers, because that's where we're experiencing the largest volume of such content, the ban applies to all content on Stack Overflow, except each user's profile content (e.g. your "About me" text).
AltoLXI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 13:55   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Stackoverflow has posted this here
I agree, this sounds like the kind of answers parroted by Level 1/2 tech support of any organization. They pretend to help you, but not really. Until it reaches 3/4 level with real techies, you are just being managed.

However, this is a real threat to level 1/2 support jobs. Just imagine, this is better at answering at superficial levels, than most people in that role.
Samurai is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 14:05   #9
BHPian

This kind of AI based dialogue models have been in existence even 20 years ago in UNIX based systems. I vaguely remember playing a text only - dialogue based game on Linux before 2005. However, those programmes had very limited vocabulary. ChatGPT is impressive advancement, but there still is much scope for improvement.

Snapshots of my short interactions:
The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20221206-1.57.53-pm.png

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20221206-1.56.03-pm.png

Edit:
Asked it a few more questions, for the last one it took more than ten seconds to generate a response:
The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20221206-2.09.17-pm.png

And here is what it says:

The Generative AI Thread (chatbot, text to image, text to video etc)-screenshot-20221206-2.10.03-pm.png

Last edited by deetee : 6th December 2022 at 14:12.
deetee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 16:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

At this juncture, even though this chatbot is only a baby step in AI's forward march - I suggest folks to read Martin Ford's "Lights in the tunnel", on what sort of economic and societal havoc AI can wreak, once the working class' salaries are eaten up by AI. Universal basic income (UBI) is the only solution, but no one is even talking about the looming problem yet!
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 16:42   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
At this juncture, even though this chatbot is only a baby step in AI's forward march - I suggest folks to read Martin Ford's "Lights in the tunnel", on what sort of economic and societal havoc AI can wreak, once the working class' salaries are eaten up by AI. Universal basic income (UBI) is the only solution, but no one is even talking about the looming problem yet!
TeamBHP AI thread:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...e-how-far.html (Artificial Intelligence: How far is it?)
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 17:54   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I have myself written and read the other thread Smartcat. My purport is that our politicians aren't even talking about it.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 18:14   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
ChatGPT using Open AI solves coding problems for free, may put jobs of many coders at risk in future
Well, I had shared this link with my team of programmers. They asked the AI to write some python and C++ code after giving some requirement. And we were stunned at the results. Damn, the AI can write complex C++ programs....

And then... I recognized the C++ code. The AI had lifted the example code from the popular Boost C++ web site. Once I shared the original link, everyone was relieved.

So, I am not worried about AI replacing programmers. AI is good at stealing the code from the best, using the keywords. But it can't modify those source code examples to match the customer requirements.
Samurai is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 18:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, I had shared this link with my team of programmers. They asked the AI to write some python and C++ code after giving some requirement. A....requirements.
I asked the AI to write some code for the very specific domain, using libraries for the coding from the mother software. It is customization code for Enterprise application called Teamcenter from Siemens. I asked the code to write some server code and some client code. Server code is known as Teamcenter ITK and Client Code is known as Rich Client Code.

To my surprise it wrote a code, one in c++ and another in JAVA. It was really small use case. I was not hoping that it will understand specific words and use case from the domain. It stunned me by writing beautiful code.

Though it has difficulty when I tried to give difficult problems. Nevertheless it is a start and AI could do that, now with exponential learning curve of AI, I am worried.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 6th December 2022 at 18:46.
sushantr5 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 18:49   #15
BHPian

Not sure when coding is just coding. It wont be able to do system design, memory/cpu optimizations etc. Its useful only for routine tasks. Dont people already look up google to learn something instantly ? this could be just one step ahead of that.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks