Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2014, 14:13   #2176
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A YetiGuideŽ : How To Post In Proper English

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Thad, it's lose, not loose
Oddly, I was going to post: Loose/Lose is my most frequent mistake. I am so confused about it that I actually have to look it up to be sure!

Quote:
Thad, I have never ever seen or heard "marketing" used that way anywhere in North America. Can you provide specifics please?
That's interesting, especially if you have spent time there (I haven't) and are familiar with the day-to-day usages. I think I came across it in one of Saul Bellow's books, and I think I read it elsewhere too.

I'll re-file this one under "maybe."

Quote:
Thad, she said maLLing, to refer to going to the mall; not maIling as in dropping off a letter Oh the problems with sans-serif typefaces making lower-case L look like the upper-case I.
Whoops! The joke is on me and my eye/brain failure!

Old 16th October 2014, 15:45   #2177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Thad, she said maLLing, to refer to going to the mall; not maIling as in dropping off a letter Oh the problems with sans-serif typefaces making lower-case L look like the upper-case I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Whoops! The joke is on me and my eye/brain failure!
There goes down the drain my so well thought handle! Ashoka 'the Beloved of the God' or Ashoka Piyadassi (in the language of his time; Pali) would not have liked it.
Old 16th October 2014, 16:44   #2178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
There goes down the drain my so well thought handle! Ashoka 'the Beloved of the God' or Ashoka Piyadassi (in the language of his time; Pali) would not have liked it.
Hey, in my defence I thought your handle was your full name - Piya Dassi, which sounded female

This is why you should never overthink things and try to be overly clever

Cheers
Old 16th October 2014, 22:52   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Marketing is widely used in Eastern parts of India to mean shopping. But I've not seen it being used anywhere in the U.S.

This reminds me that when I was in DC for the first time, I sought directions from a local to the nearest 'Provisions' store. He was perplexed and asked me what kind of provisions? When I gave examples he said ' oh, you mean a grocery shop?'. I then realized that he was using a word more apt. I guess we use 'provisions store' in India only.
Old 17th October 2014, 10:57   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oddly, I was going to post: Loose/Lose is my most frequent mistake. I am so confused about it that I actually have to look it up to be sure!
This may help you: One way to remember the difference between the two words is to think that Lose has lost an 'o'.

Source
Old 17th October 2014, 15:30   #2181
Distinguished - BHPian

Ahh! I see an easier way there: lost has one O, and so does lose. I think I can go with that. Thanks for putting me on the right path!
Old 3rd November 2014, 23:24   #2182
BHPian

I'm on page 19 of Naseeruddin Shah's memoir, and he's already committed the "who for whom" error twice! I wonder what his editor/proof-reader got paid for...

PS: The book itself is promising so far, in case you're wondering. Naseer is one of my all-time favorites, and I hope I'll know him better as a person and an actor by the time I'm through.
Old 9th November 2014, 07:57   #2183
Distinguished - BHPian

Was having a doubt about "It's" vs "Its". Found the answer here:

http://www.businessinsider.in/The-11...w/22522762.cms
Old 9th November 2014, 21:03   #2184
Distinguished - BHPian

Aaaarrrgggh!

I completely understand when to use its and when to use it's, and why --- but I still often type it wrong!

By the way, I'm 62 years old, native British, and I still can't spell sleap. Err... sleep.

Worse! I'm an ex Unix systems manager, and I can't spell sleep. sleap not found. Right.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th November 2014 at 21:05.
Old 18th December 2014, 10:41   #2185
Senior - BHPian

From today's NDTV report

http://sports.ndtv.com/australia-vs-...-brisbane-test

Quote:
It was not until Rahane told him and pointed to the scoreboard that it dawned on Vijay. He raised his bat in triumph after cruelly being out for 99 in the last Test in Adelaide
Surprising to note that Vijay raised his bat, that too in triumph, after cruelly being out!!
Old 23rd December 2014, 00:26   #2186
Team-BHP Support

This video is a must for all the regulars of this thread. Jump to 5:30 position directly to watch George Carlin right away. He was one of the greatest wordsmiths and you can see him here in full glory.

Old 30th December 2014, 14:19   #2187
Senior - BHPian

Not sure whether this is the right thread for this kind of query, but here it goes.

I would like to know whether it is correct to quote a part of a sentence (and selectively dropping a few words in the sentence, in a way that the meaning of the sentence changes completely), when quoting from a published article.

Case in point being that I had received an email from Tata Motors, the snapshot of which I had posted on the Bolt official review thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3611883

I found it offensive that Tata Motors has cleverly quoted selected words from a sentence in the Team-BHP official review, in a way that it changed the meaning of the sentence.

I felt that it was unethical and unprofessional, but other members on that thread felt that I was trying to create a controversy out of nothing.

Instead of going OT on the official review thread, I though of discussing the same on this thread and getting some replies from unbiased audience.

Please comment on the above.

Rohan
Old 30th December 2014, 14:49   #2188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Was having a doubt about "It's" vs "Its". Found the answer here:
http://www.businessinsider.in/The-11...w/22522762.cms
Talk about teachers making mistakes. The first point in the article itself is having wrong examples. They've told to use "fewer" in case of countable objects. But in both the examples, they've used "less".

Last edited by A350XWB : 30th December 2014 at 14:50.
Old 30th December 2014, 14:56   #2189
Senior - BHPian

@rohan_iitr : I would agree with you - quoting selectively alters the meaning. I would not agree with it. The Tbhp review was a comparative statement (compared to older Tata cars), whereas the Tata ad is not comparative statement and it comes out as an endorsement

I read your posts and the replies in the other thread - the people replying have misunderstood your post. (E_T, of all guys, has instead misquoted you!!!)

While not commenting on the ethics of the ad, I would say that in English the two sentences mean two entirely different things
Old 30th December 2014, 15:08   #2190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I would like to know whether it is correct to quote a part of a sentence (and selectively dropping a few words in the sentence, in a way that the meaning of the sentence changes completely), when quoting from a published article.

Case in point being that I had received an email from Tata Motors, the snapshot of which I had posted on the Bolt official review thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3611883
You're right. It's borderline but the most honest way to do it would be to separate the disjointed sentences using ellipses:
Quote:
Parked next to its competitors, the Bolt definitely has a mature design... Exterior fit & finish are...impressive... Tata has clearly paid a lot of attention to the quality and workmanship, and it shows.
In fact, now that you mention it the second sentence is clearly misleading. The original (without the ellipses) is:
Quote:
Exterior fit & finish are a lot more impressive than what we've seen so far on Tata cars.
This in fact is nowhere the same as saying that it is impressive. The edit takes the statement from a casual nod of acknowledgement to a thumping endorsement of quality!

You have a point, Rohan. Thanks for bringing this up.

Last edited by noopster : 30th December 2014 at 15:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks