Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 09:53   #3031
Senior - BHPian

Re: A YetiGuide® : How To Post In Proper English

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Let me also clarify that I am not looking for a spoken English module or some such purported panacea. I am trying to use audio visual aids as an assist in the process of learning English and learning through English.
Hmm, okay. I think I've seen an ad in my library for an English learning software, but don't recollect its name. I will check tomorrow and get back to you, if its a freeware.

In the meantime, I will leave you with this resource that I've found useful on occasion: http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/free-guides.html

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 11th January 2019, 14:52   #3032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
*SNIP* Now I think they have wizened up to economic realities and are even selling the Cliff Notes version of the same.*SNIP*
Wisened up or wised up. Wizen, the way you spell it, means dry up

Cheers
Old 11th January 2019, 16:46   #3033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Wisened up or wised up. Wizen, the way you spell it, means dry up

Cheers
I learn something new every day and for that I am grateful.
Old 11th January 2019, 17:44   #3034
Distinguished - BHPian

If they won't read books, let them watch movies. Perhaps older movies, British or American.

Learn language live!
Old 11th January 2019, 20:39   #3035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Would fellow Bhpians be kind enough to direct me towards a few useful, open source softwares and/or free websites that could help small town youngsters in the age group of 16-20 pick up and hone their English language skills.
You can check out BBC Learning English channel on YouTube. If you already know, please ignore.
Old 11th January 2019, 20:47   #3036
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, true: I haven't looked, but I'm really really dubious about learning English from the BBC.
Old 26th February 2019, 16:01   #3037
Team-BHP Support

Enough said....

Old 26th February 2019, 20:29   #3038
Distinguished - BHPian

Not often I think Trump is right!

But, he who spouts at random is bound to be right sometimes.

But: is he? My understanding of an MoU is "What we are agreed on so far." But I am not a lawyer, so maybe Mr T and I are both wrong!
Old 26th February 2019, 22:09   #3039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
..so maybe Mr T and I are both wrong!
Ok, I've been confused about this for a long time and am hoping you will be able to clear this up since you're the only Englishman (Limey?) around here. Should it be "Mr T and I are both wrong" or "Mr T and myself are both wrong" or "Mr T and me are both wrong".
I hope that you will forgive me for using the word Limey. I used to see it used in the Commando comics I read as a kid and could not resist it.

Last edited by Roy.S : 26th February 2019 at 22:12.
Old 26th February 2019, 22:48   #3040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Ok, I've been confused about this for a long time and am hoping you will be able to clear this up since you're the only Englishman (Limey?) around here. Should it be "Mr T and I are both wrong" or "Mr T and myself are both wrong" or "Mr T and me are both wrong".
I hope that you will forgive me for using the word Limey. I used to see it used in the Commando comics I read as a kid and could not resist it.
To me the following sounds correct:
“Both Mr T and myself are wrong”.
Old 27th February 2019, 06:29   #3041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Assume there is no second person. What would you write? "I am wrong" and not "myself am wrong".
So when there is a second person (Mr. T), just add him before you...
"Mr. T and I, both are wrong"

In office one thing that irritates me. Is when someone starts his introduction as "Hi, Myself Rahul..."!
Old 27th February 2019, 07:34   #3042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
In office one thing that irritates me. Is when someone starts his introduction as "Hi, Myself Rahul..."!
You're lucky; I get to hear, "My good self, Rahul. Your good name, please"?
Old 27th February 2019, 07:36   #3043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
But I am not a lawyer, so maybe Mr T and I are both wrong!
Quote:
Should it be "Mr T and I are both wrong" or "Mr T and myself are both wrong" or "Mr T and me are both wrong".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
To me the following sounds correct:
“Both Mr T and myself are wrong”.
Thad's usage is the correct one.

I don't remember the technicalities of why, but googling got me this answer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/languag...im-and-me/amp/

Quote:
Here, I’ll talk about the personal pronouns him and I versus him and me.

Let’s get a couple of things straight. First, in choosing which personal pronouns to use, we have two groups: nominative and objective. Nominative personal pronouns are used as subjects, and objective personal pronouns are used as objects. Second, the nominative pronouns are I, he, she, we, and they; the objective pronouns are me, him, her, us, and them. You (singular), you (plural), and it are both nominative and objective and can be used in either case.

Now, when choosing personal pronoun pairs—in this case, him and I or him and me—–the next thing to keep in mind is that both pronouns must be of the same type; that is, either both must be nominative or both must be objective. Therefore, you can never use him and I together as either a compound subject or object because him is objective and I is nominative. It must be either him and me or he and I.

The next step is to find out how you determine whether you need either him and me or he and I in any particular sentence. Well, you can either read what I’ve already written on the subject (Fun with Pronouns), or you can just keep right on reading here.

Find the verb in the sentence. If the verb already has a subject, then you can’t use nominatives, and you’ll find that what you’re looking for are objectives. If the verb does not have a subject, then what you’re looking for are nominatives.

Ex: Him and me/He and I cheated on the test. The verb is cheated. Ask yourself who or what cheated; that’s the subject. Since that’s what we’re trying to determine in this sentence, you’re looking for a subject in this case, and you know that nominatives are subjects, and you also know that he and I are nominative pronouns, so the correct sentence is He and I cheated on the test.

Ex: The teacher was justified in giving detention to he and I/him and me. The verb is was justified. Ask yourself who or what was justified; that’s the subject. In this sentence, it was the teacher who was justified, so we already have the subject, so we can’t use nominatives. We must, then, be in need of objectives here, and if we examine the sentence further, we see that we do, indeed, need an object of the preposition to (the teacher was justified in giving detention to whom or to what?). We know that him and me are objective pronouns, so the correct sentence is The teacher was justified in giving detention to him and me.
Old 27th February 2019, 09:44   #3044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
You're lucky; I get to hear, "My good self, Rahul. Your good name, please"?
I read once that an Australian cricketer who had to wait for a politician to present the trophy responded with "My name, good or otherwise, can wait. You tell us, old man, why did you make us wait this long" when the Indian minister finally turned up and asked "what is your good name, young man?".
Imagine the flutter that would have caused among the party chamchas and hangers on.
Old 27th February 2019, 10:38   #3045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Thad's usage is the correct one.

I don't remember the technicalities of why, but googling got me this answer.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/languag...im-and-me/amp/
Don't go into a grammar abyss for checking regular usage. Myself is reflexive. When it's unclear how to use it paired with something else, see if it works by itself.
"Sam and myself are wrong. "
Check "Myself is wrong", and if it drags nails across your sensibility chalkboard, it's incorrect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks