Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2022, 21:38   #3211
Senior - BHPian

Re: A YetiGuide® : How To Post In Proper English

It always irks me when people fail to correctly spell certain simple words, such as FORTY & NINETY.

The former very often gets an extra U (FOURTY) while the latter loses the E (NINTY).

An invoice posted in a different thread has an instance of this.

A YetiGuide® : How To Post In Proper English-img_20220105_211703.jpg

Link (Behind the Scenes: How Press & Media Drives Work)

Is it Forty or Fourty?
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 12:21   #3212
Senior - BHPian

Some commonly observed mistakes:
  • "Off late" instead of "of late"
  • "Too good" instead of "very good". People do not realize that when "too good" is used it has a negative connotation, as in "too good to be true"
  • "Few" instead of "a few".
Old 6th January 2022, 12:54   #3213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
People do not realize that when "too good" is used it has a negative connotation, as in "too good to be true"
"too good" has a positive connotation as well - something so good that nobody would willingly refuse to take it up. Like in this article:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54637251

Quote:
The club is beset by deep financial problems [...] and the chance to replace high-earning veterans with low-cost youngsters was too good to miss.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 14:56   #3214
Senior - BHPian

Something that annoys me and it really is basic stuff : using past tenses of two verbs, e.g. "Did you got that?" or "The dealer did asked me..". Correct usage - "Did you get it?" and "The dealer did ask me" or simply "The dealer asked me.." and skip "did" altogether.

The other one that frustrates me and I have actually told people that its the wrong usage "Can you be able to see this?" or "I can able to make it work". This is quite prevalent around my workspace, thankfully I haven't seen it on this forum yet.
Old 6th January 2022, 15:10   #3215
BHPian

Why haven’t people understood the difference between “brake” and “break” yet? “It’s” and “its” is another one. The improper things are posted all over the forum!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 15:52   #3216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
...wrong usage "Can you be able to see this?" or "I can able to make it work". This is quite prevalent around my workspace, thankfully I haven't seen it on this forum yet.
It irritates many of us. "I could able to do it", "You should able to fix it" and their negated versions are a few other phrases from the same category. "Awhile" is also commonly seen in emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Somehow remembered this post
Somehow got reminded of our conversation, hence I couldn't able to resist tagging you in this

After having to call many a customer support number, these are a few more irritants:
OTP Password - like, One-Time Password Password?
IFSC Code - Code Code, to make it doubly sure?
Revert back - isn't this akin to a communication U-turn?
"I have one doubt" - isn't "I have a question" better?
various combinations of "raised", "complaint", "issue", "request" - no comments

End rant.
silversteed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 23:15   #3217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Why haven’t people understood the difference between “brake” and “break” yet? “It’s” and “its” is another one. The improper things are posted all over the forum!
Sorry to nitpick on your post. Definite article "the" is used only on nouns. So your usage in front of "improper", an adjective, is wrong. Some people even use it in front of a person's name. That's plain wrong. There are exceptions of course, eg "the Margeret Thatcher government brought about sweeping changes in........"
Old 7th January 2022, 00:42   #3218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Definite article "the" is used only on nouns. So your usage in front of "improper", an adjective, is wrong.
Why? I don't think I ever heard that before, and I don't think I agree. Never thought about it, so open to persuasion, but...

The one sunny day we had last week gave me a chance to clean the dirtiest car. I am looking forward to taking the long, winding route. Sometimes called the scenic route. But it may be the worst way to go, due to problems caused by the serious flooding.

What do you think? I'm sure it is possible to rewrite my examples, and the result may sound better, but does that make them wrong?

Quote:
The improper things are posted all over the forum!
Should probably have been These improper things. This is partly a problem of singular/plural.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 01:25   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to nitpick on your post. Definite article "the" is used only on nouns. So your usage in front of "improper", an adjective, is wrong. Some people even use it in front of a person's name. That's plain wrong. There are exceptions of course, eg "the Margeret Thatcher government brought about sweeping changes in........"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Should probably have been These improper things. This is partly a problem of singular/plural.
My bad, I was glide / swipe typing!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 07:19   #3220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The one sunny day we had last week gave me a chance to clean the dirtiest car in my garage. I am looking forward to taking the long, winding route along the sea coast. Sometimes called the scenic route. But it may be the worst way to go, due to problems caused by the serious flooding.
Your examples are fine because your "the" defines the nouns highlighted in bold. I have added some phrases, because some sentences seem incomplete to me.

In fellow member Helix's post, adding the word "that" seems to complete the sentence nicely.
Quote:
The improper things that are posted all over the forum!
Further reading on British Council website shows that "the" can be used with adjectives too. It is quite common usage actually.
https://learnenglish.britishcouncil....te-article-the
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 08:48   #3221
BHPian

Quote:
In fellow member Helix's post, adding the word "that" seems to complete the sentence nicely
Quote:
The improper things that are posted all over the forum!
This sentence is grammatically correct, but it is missing the context defined in the previous sentences. Let us combine it with the original message:

Quote:
Why haven’t people understood the difference between “brake” and “break” yet? “It’s” and “its” is another one. The improper things that are posted all over the forum!
Also, adding "that" in the suggested manner makes the sentence incomplete on its own. It will be a complete sentence when used in proper context, here are a few examples:

Quote:
The improper things that are posted all over the forum really irked me!
Quote:
Q: What annoys you while reading posts on this forum?
A: The improper things that are posted all over the forum!
Someone mentioned using "these", which is a better option to use in this case, as the word "these" puts the emphasis on the context defined in the previous sentences:

Quote:
Why haven’t people understood the difference between “brake” and “break” yet? “It’s” and “its” is another one. These improper things are posted all over the forum!
In my opinion, we can also use "such":

Quote:
Why haven’t people understood the difference between “brake” and “break” yet? “It’s” and “its” is another one. Such improper things are posted all over the forum!

Last edited by kvsriki : 7th January 2022 at 08:50. Reason: Removed some redundant words
Old 7th January 2022, 12:13   #3222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
*SNIP*
  • "Few" instead of "a few".
You're right, totally opposite connotations "Few" means "almost none", "a few" means "some".

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
*SNIP*

Revert back - isn't this akin to a communication U-turn?

*SNIP*
"Revert" in the context of "getting back to you" is wrong because that is not what the word means or its intended use. It does not mean "reply" or "respond" as it's construed to mean by people from India. So, this is not a communication u-turn at all.

"Revert" means to bring back to original state before whatever change was made to something. A switch was turned on, it was reverted to its state of being turned off.

Besides, there should be no "back" after "revert" or "return". The "back" is implied.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 12:39   #3223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
The other one that frustrates me and I have actually told people that its the wrong usage "Can you be able to see this?" or "I can able to make it work".

I've noticed an apparently similar curious (but accepted) usage in some southern states in the USA: "I might can ....", meaning something like "I might be able to ..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
... "Awhile" is also commonly seen in emails.

Isn't it an accepted word now?

Quote:
After having to call many a customer support number, these are a few more irritants:

You came close to, but somehow have missed out on pointing out another rather common irritant (apparently without realizing): some variation of "many a (plural word)"!

Quote:
OTP Password - like, One-Time Password Password?
IFSC Code - Code Code, to make it doubly sure?

In a similar vein, I was taught quite early as a kid that 'DC' meant 'Direct Current', so used to laugh on hearing 'DC Current', ... only to learn much later in my professional life as an engineer that 'DC' now meant a 'constant' level, so expressions like 'DC level' or 'DC voltage' are quite common, and accepted! Language is a funny business!

Such acronyms are funny, -- they can somehow mean different things to different people, --because many are blissfully ignorant of the correct expansion!

In another forum someone once found fault with my usage of 'UHT-treated milk', -- the assertion was that 'UHT' meant 'Ultra-Heat Treated', so my usage of 'UHT-treated' was redundant, thus wrong! When I pointed out that 'UHT' meant 'Ultra-High Temperature', so 'UHT-treated' was correct usage, I was referred to the great arbiter, the Wikipedia (where 'UHT' was also claimed to mean 'Ultra-Heat Treated' (it still is, after years)!

A polite person that I am, I didn't try to explain that while 'Ultra-High Temperature' can be precisely defined, 'Ultra-Heat Treatment' was a meaningless expression, -- what is 'Ultra-Heat' for a cupful of milk, is certainly not 'Ultra-Heat' for a cowful of milk!
meerkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 17:17   #3224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
You're right, totally opposite connotations "Few" means "almost none", "a few" means "some".
America, what did you do with our language!

Actually, they preserved some old forms and words that British English changed or lost, and developed some perfectly valid vocabulary. But they also did some bad things.

Few is understood differently in America.
Revert in communications, is a nonsense which, I think, started in America, not India.
Acronym when an abbreviation isn't one, like OTP, ATM, IFSC (NATO, NASA and radar are acronyms: abbreviations pronounced as words)

Even in London, people sometimes told me they would revert to me. I always wanted to say, "How can you? You weren't me before!" I probably did a few times.
Quote:
"Revert" means to bring back to original state before whatever change was made to something. A switch was turned on, it was reverted to its state of being turned off.
I'm thinking that a thing reverts, you cannot revert a thing. Far from sure of that, though.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th January 2022 at 17:24.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 08:24   #3225
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a journalist's "I got that confused" (the sentence) rankle anyone else?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks