Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 09:05   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My thinking is that flight is the route or passage. I do not think it correct to say that the flight crashed; it was just one plane that did.
But one can say, "He's coming on the BA flight from London tomorrow." so maybe this is open to further debate?)
Yes. That is correct to say BA Flight No. BA-2110.
A flight is the airliner's designation for a journey from a place to a place. It is designated by the Flight Number.
An Aircraft is the means by which a Flight is accomplished.
So, A flight could be late, meaning the plane did not arrive on time. But a flight doesn't land, a plane lands.
A Flight is the route and a plane is an object. But, we here in India, have confused flight with plane, even English News Channels do not understand the difference. It was Times Now, that was flashing "AI FLIGHT OVERSHOOTS RUNWAY"
Old 25th May 2010, 09:34   #1142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Yes. Both Thad also said that this is the right usage. Only thing is that we do not believe that this is the only usage. "I put my kid to sleep early today" is also perfectly fine. In the dog case, sleep is used as an euphimism for kill.
It is perfectly fine as long as you are addressing people who are speaking similar brand of English. But while addressing people who are unfamiliar with that usage, it can cause uncomfortable moments. Famous example being, A R Rahman saying "I was terrified during my marriage". Most Indians may not have realised the goof up, but the Oscar crowd was left wondering whether it was a joke or reality.

Here is Sam's interpretation: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post1184650 (A YetiGuide® : How To Post In Proper English)

Quote:
Do remember: just because something is used doesn't make it right. I could show you examples on the BBC News site every day!
Exactly, once you know it is not right, it is better to avoid that usage instead of persisting or defending it. Eventually you will run into somebody who will judge you by that wrong usage.

Even pronunciation can make you look bad sometimes. Indians generally say database as Dataabase, while Americans say deta-Base, where the ta is said very quickly. It happens with many words. Once I had big trouble with the word Wizard while discussing with a VB programmer in the 90s. I pronounced it as Wizaard, like any Desi. He just couldn't get it even after I repeated it 10 times. Then I wrote it down for him, and he goes "Oh, Wizrd!". BTW, this chap had a PhD in psychology and was no noob. Yes, I am still referring to the VB programmer, I have worked with all kind.

Keep you English as clean as possible, and vary your pronunciation to suit your audience.

Last edited by Samurai : 25th May 2010 at 09:36.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:50   #1143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is perfectly fine as long as you are addressing people who are speaking similar brand of English.
It's correct English. It's not a local brand of English. Other than that it's not an idiom or an euphemism. Considering all this, I think it should be perfectly Ok to use it everywhere.

Quote:
But while addressing people who are unfamiliar with that usage, it can cause uncomfortable moments.
Famous example being, A R Rahman saying "I was terrified during my marriage". Most Indians may not have realised the goof up, but the Oscar crowd was left wondering whether it was a joke or reality.
This is a strawman. Rahman's usage was incorrect. Whereas using "put to sleep" for "put to bed" is not incorrect usage. It's the dictionary usage of the phrase. On the other hand, I would think that using it for euthanasia would be something which could possibly be misinterpreted by non-native speakers because of it's use as an Euphimism.

Quote:
Exactly, once you know it is not right, it is better to avoid that usage instead of persisting or defending it.

That's fine, once you know it's not right. Which isn't the case here.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:58   #1144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
That's fine, once you know it's not right. Which isn't the case here.
Even if it is a grey area, it is better to avoid. Finally it is about communication. Why use terms that can be mistaken for something else?
Old 25th May 2010, 13:15   #1145
Distinguished - BHPian

When all is said and done (...at the end of the day --- and other similar sayings!) it is all about communication, and if someone doesn't understand a correct usage, then we must explain in their terms. Of course, if they tell us they are right and we are wrong, then it can be a bit annoying!

There are also areas where the difference in pronunciation or usage between American and English usage causes stress and tension. I insist that I plan my route (root), and that the device at the center of my network is a router (rooter) and that no way is oot pronounced out in either of these cases. A router (r-out-er) is a woodworking tool! Most Indians that I talk to about such things, however, use the American pronunciation.
Quote:
Why use terms that can be mistaken for something else?
Context is all!
Old 25th May 2010, 14:32   #1146
BHPian

Quote:
There are also areas where the difference in pronunciation or usage between American and English usage causes stress and tension. I insist that I plan my route (root), and that the device at the center of my network is a router (rooter) and that no way is oot pronounced out in either of these cases. A router (r-out-er) is a woodworking tool! Most Indians that I talk to about such things, however, use the American pronunciation.
Context is all!
How interesting, I work for an MNC and talk to Americans and British (among others) on a daily basis and am almost the only one says router (~rooter) and schedule (~shedule), because I am not comfortable with r-ou-ter and skedule. Even the British are adapting American pronunciation.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:11   #1147
Senior - BHPian

^^ That goes fgor Laboratory and Secretary as well, Right?
Laabratri(GB) Verus Labo-ray-toree (US) and Secretri (GB) Versus Secra-tayree (US).
Old 25th May 2010, 15:16   #1148
Distinguished - BHPian

I say skedule... now I'm really confused!

EDIT... yep (which is an Americanism, I think!)... skedule is, indeed, the US pronunciation.

And now I come to think of it, I'm not sure which I would use. My brain hurts!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 25th May 2010 at 15:19.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:50   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
.... Even the British are adapting American pronunciation.
Surely you mean adopting?
Old 25th May 2010, 17:05   #1150
Distinguished - BHPian

--- I really do need better glasses!
Old 25th May 2010, 17:20   #1151
Senior - BHPian

SKe-jule in U.S, Schedule - like in Shed and dule in U.K?
Old 25th May 2010, 17:27   #1152
Distinguished - BHPian

According to my Oxford English Dictionary... yes.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:34   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

(and nobody, please, mention data! )
Quote:
LOL . These two lines really cracked me up.
Old 25th May 2010, 18:26   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
^^ That goes fgor Laboratory and Secretary as well, Right?
Laabratri(GB) Verus Labo-ray-toree (US) and Secretri (GB) Versus Secra-tayree (US).
Add 'military' and 'inventory' to your list!
Old 25th May 2010, 19:21   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Surely you mean adopting?
Quote:
He he, I meant 'adapting to American...', thanks.

P.S.: Phew, the words would have blinked in red for me if someone other than me had posted this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks