Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2015, 16:08   #2236
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A YetiGuideŽ : How To Post In Proper English

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

On second thoughts - should this be in the jokes thread?
I had this hilarious image in my mind of a typical Mallu Gelf family of 5, 3 of whom are in jail for peddling narcotics

NDTV's copy editor should be sacked with immediate effect, or better still, be sent to that same jail!
Old 27th July 2015, 12:41   #2237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The usual phrase is no pun intended.

This is a kind of "disclaimer" that we did not actually mean to make what may look like a rather bad joke --- but, at the same time, it draws attention to it and makes the joke anyway. It requires a bit of inside-out double thinking.

If we say pun intended, then it may mean that, yes, it is a bad joke, but we meant to make it anyway.

But I too cannot find the pun in the example.
Misleading.There is absolutely NO RELATION of a bad joke and the word "pun",unless you are British of course.
You are correct in the first scenario if we remove the phrase "look like a rather bad joke".
And the second usage scenario of pun intended is absolutely wrong.That may be one of ,but not the only usage.
Here is how i would have put it-
No pun intended and pun intended are usually used as tools to highlight wordplay,wherein the same word/phrase may mean totally different things(definition of pun).

First is a sort of apology or disclaimer like you said and the second one ,is a forced thing lest the reader/listener overlooks the clever structuring
Old 27th July 2015, 12:58   #2238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer007 View Post
unless you are British of course.
Well, you are right on that count for sure

But what Thad intended to say, and I concur, is that a 'pun intended' sentence always feels like a bad joke!! In the literal sense, the explanation given by you is spot on
Old 27th July 2015, 13:11   #2239
Distinguished - BHPian

I typically use the "no pun intended" disclaimer when there has been an inadvertent, er, pun, and which could direct the discussion to humor, when the actual tone is serious, or just non-humorous.
Using the link, I'd like to bring up the guy who submitted ten entries to make it to the finals of the tongue-in-cheek word-play contest, but no pun in ten did.
Old 27th July 2015, 13:16   #2240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Well, you are right on that count for sure

But what Thad intended to say, and I concur, is that a 'pun intended' sentence always feels like a bad joke!! In the literal sense, the explanation given by you is spot on
No it does not!.
And that was my whole point-that the interpretation could be both ways.

People may may not find it funny and if they don't, the usage of 'pun intended' makes it all the more tiresome and you begin to doubt the intellect of the author or that that of yourself, for reading him/her!

It is subjective and i was only trying to highlight it lest someone takes it as Gospel.

By the way-
Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right now.(No pun intended!).
This may be another usage of scenario one which may be used to pronounce the pun or be a disclaimer ,depending upon the context.
Old 28th July 2015, 07:30   #2241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailBlazer007 View Post
Misleading.There is absolutely NO RELATION of a bad joke and the word "pun",unless you are British of course.
You are correct in the first scenario if we remove the phrase "look like a rather bad joke".
And the second usage scenario of pun intended is absolutely wrong.That may be one of ,but not the only usage.
Here is how i would have put it-
No pun intended and pun intended are usually used as tools to highlight wordplay,wherein the same word/phrase may mean totally different things(definition of pun).

First is a sort of apology or disclaimer like you said and the second one ,is a forced thing lest the reader/listener overlooks the clever structuring
TrailBlazer, I am about to take it as Gospel that there should be a space before a comma and none after it!
Guidance, please.
Old 28th July 2015, 09:55   #2242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
TrailBlazer, I am about to take it as Gospel that there should be a space before a comma and none after it!
Guidance, please.
No. Your usage of comma and space in the first sentence is the correct one. But there need not be a comma after guidance.

Last edited by Accent Martin : 28th July 2015 at 09:57.
Old 28th July 2015, 10:07   #2243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Guidance, please.
You don't need guidance as i see you have already taken it as gospel by capitalizing G in it.
Old 7th August 2015, 15:30   #2244
Distinguished - BHPian

TrailBlazer,

I'm not absolutely wrong! But I think we may be misunderstanding each other. Your "word play" is probably better than my "joke," but a pun is, or very often is, a kind of a joke.

I came to the thread to draw attention to a mistake I see recently in the forum: there is no such thing as a "bye-pass."

Of course, an unsuccessful heart operation might be a bye-pass (pun intended ) but a road around a city is a bypass.

The people who need this information probably don't visit this thread!
Old 7th August 2015, 21:35   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I came to the thread to draw attention to a mistake I see recently in the forum: there is no such thing as a "bye-pass."

Of course, an unsuccessful heart operation might be a bye-pass (pun intended ) but a road around a city is a bypass.

The people who need this information probably don't visit this thread!
The people who need this piece of information are definately taking a brake after fiddling with their breaks. Or, wondering what to do with the ABC paddles. Or maybe even thinking of what to do with their car's, bike's and SUV's on weekend's

Phew! That was quite some effort to unlearn some grammar, spelling and punctuation

Last edited by silversteed : 7th August 2015 at 21:38.
Old 7th August 2015, 23:20   #2246
Distinguished - BHPian

I take my hat off to you. I wish I could spell definitely!

Thankfully, my computer can <Blush>
Old 8th August 2015, 12:23   #2247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The people who need this piece of information are definately taking a brake after fiddling with their breaks. Or, wondering what to do with the ABC paddles. Or maybe even thinking of what to do with their car's, bike's and SUV's on weekend's

Phew! That was quite some effort to unlearn some grammar, spelling and punctuation
Ingenious! Must have taken a lot of effort to pen those lines!

Perhaps you could have said ''Or wondering what to do with the ABC paddles and whether to use the pedal shifts"
Old 8th August 2015, 13:23   #2248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Or wondering what to do with the ABC paddles and whether to use the pedal shifts
Ah, that reminds me of 'whether'. Many people replace 'if' with 'whether', but it often ends up as a test of whether they know where to use whether or not. AFAIK, 'whether' is to be used only when there's a choice - 'I do not know whether it would rain today or not', and 'if' when there's an uncertainty - 'I do not know if it would rain today'. Sorry for nitpicking, @vnabhi

Last edited by silversteed : 8th August 2015 at 13:26.
Old 8th August 2015, 14:18   #2249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for nitpicking
No need for sorrow: nitpicking is what this thread is about! The more the merrier!
Old 8th August 2015, 14:59   #2250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
'I do not know whether it would rain today or not', and 'if' when there's an uncertainty - 'I do not know if it would rain today'.
Something wrong with the tense there, weather notwithstanding.

Most Viewed

Copyright Š2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks