Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2023, 20:39   #46
BHPian

Re: If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?

Vadodara it'll be for me.

Currently doing my medicine undergraduate in Aligarh, UP. Spent my entire childhood in Vadodara and fell in love with it after leaving it and coming to Aligarh.

It's not too big so that you spend hours just commuting, nor too small, connectivity is pretty good, all big chains present, some decent shopping malls and food is also pretty decent.

But the main point is the welcoming cosmopolitan culture, which I feel is missing in other cities of Gujarat.
msd7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 09:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?

Having spent over half my life(and all my professional life) in Bangalore, love the city. It has definitely changed from the laid back city once it was, but is still a great place to be !!

Surprised and excited to see few votes for my hometown (Manipal/Udupi) which happens to be my plan B (in a few years !!) when I want to hang up my boot and still enjoy some cool drives to western ghats, beaches and scenic coastal routes.
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 10:00   #48
BHPian

I was born and brought up in Bangalore. Till the age of 21, I never lived in any other City than Bangalore though I had visited most of the cities in India as a tourist. Next 4 years I spent mainly in Ooty, Mysore, Hyderabad and Chennai.

The next 20 years I lived mostly in London, Edinburgh, Frankfurt, Toronto, New York, Philadelphia, Jerusalem, Paris, Tampa, Charlotte, Vienna, Gurgaon and Mumbai.

Home sickness is true for me and now I cant live too long and too far from Bangalore.

Whenever I was in Bangalore, I used to visit Goa & spend at least a week there.

So in reality, I would split my time between Bangalore, Ooty and Goa

Regards
chandrda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 11:10   #49
BHPian

I will approach this in a different perspective.
“Which city would you like to move in?”

Let me change the question a tad bit.
“Starting your career/life as a twenty something Indian, which city would you like to move in?”

I will take you back 27 years. It was my first visit to TVS Suzuki in Hosur. I was twenty something IT professional working in Pune for an IT co. Sent to Hosur for implementation work at TVS Suzuki. Hosur was a very new upcoming town that time, and thanks to World Bank finding the road from Bangalore to Hosur was excellent (compared to road standards in the 90s)
I found a very friendly supervisor at the TVS plant. He adviced me to buy a piece of Lanka in Hosur or atleast an apartment and shift there. He said Hosur had a bright future and its proximity to Bangalore is beneficial.

I was very new in terms of thinking about investing as my career had started only for 3 years. I told him I will give it a thought. Going back to Pune I told my thoughts to my parents who rejected it first sentence as they said it’s different language and very far from Pune.

Things took fast turns for me and I made Hyderabad as my second home, getting in at right time when the reality was very manageable and affordable.

Hence my advice to youngsters is to be on a lookout for promising places. Invest early. Even if you don’t want to move in permanently the investment will bring fruit as the area progresses.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 11:17   #50
BHPian

Have been in Mumbai since childhood have travelled a lot to Rajasthan (Won't be able to survive the climate & desert there), would prefer moving to Gujarat, had been there once for a week or so (Gandhinagar) & the roads were very well planned & overall environment was pretty chilled out, more like a retirement place. The property rates are also decent, had seen a relative with a 2 BHK alongwith a separate terrace for close to 53-55L, its impossible to have it in Mumbai.
Old 1st June 2023, 11:18   #51
BHPian

My first choice will always be my hometown - Mumbai. I love it for everything that GTO has already mentioned & more. I was born & bred here, met the love of my life here, have my buddies here, and then which other city will give in to your hunger pangs on a Saturday at 2.30am. There's everything for everyone.

If given a choice, then I'd like to move to Goa, followed by Mangalore & finally Bangalore. But Mumbai will always be my first love.
Old 1st June 2023, 12:11   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah. This is such an emotional topic. But before answering it, a question arises, WHY TO SHIFT? I stay in a tier 3 city and with all such emerging cities, it has its own challenges like narrow roads and bylanes, poor drainage system, mismanagement of many civic utilities, lack of proper public transport, traffic jams, poor healthcare services for critical illnesses and many small but significant factors. So if at all I plan to shift out due to these issues taking toll on me, my thoughts -

There's a saying - "You can take a person out of Manipal but you cannot take out Manipal from him/her. "

I would have loved to settle down in Manipal. It's an amazing place. Great place to work, lovely people, great food and area. The major issue with it is the weather, you have hot summers, wet-hot summers and rains. But overall, this gets the first place.

If not Manipal, maybe Gurgaon. But not sure about the professional side for me. As of today, can't comment much about other cities as I haven't been to many.
Old 1st June 2023, 12:17   #53
BHPian

I currently live and work in Gurgaon. Although I like the city in terms of infrastructure, opportunities, healthcare, education, etc, I have never thought of settling here for the rest of my life. The weather is extreme most of the year and pollution levels, although improving, are still insane. Moreover, I want to move away from the hustle-bustle of a big city and somewhere relatively peaceful.

I like to travel a lot and absolutely love Himalayas. It has been my long-standing dream to shift somewhere in the mountains, or close to them. And in that regard, Dehradun comes as a perfect city to move to.

* It has a perfect balance of facilities and a small town-like feel. Unlike big cities, it has limited traffic, pollution-free air, and it's easy to find a peaceful location to stay.
* Dehradun has all the facilities big cities have to offer. There are great hospitals, all brands for shopping, leisure facilities like theatres, swimming pools, and sports academies. Connectivity-wise, it has airport, railway station, and good road connectivity. The upcoming Delhi-Dehradun expressway will greatly reduce travel time to the capital.
* Weather goes a bit extreme in winters, but otherwise its good. Summers are bearable and max out at 35 degrees, while monsoons are intense but the greenery and rain soaked mountains all around are absolute delight.
* Montains are just 5 mins drive away. Dehradun can act as a gateway to all the places in Uttarakhand and Himachal. Even Kashmir and Ladakh are relatively closer compared to Delhi NCR
* Ola to Uber, Dunzo, Zomato, and every other delivery option is there. There are wonderful cafes to hangout, river streams to spend time on leisurely mornings, waterfalls, treks to go out without plans.
* Dehradun has one of the best schools in entire country
* Property rates are not cheap, but they are also not over the top expensive like Delhi, Gurgaon or Bangalore. Also, homes are large and spacious, with gardens and buffers around. The sheer number of birds and butterflies that visit each morning can make you forget your city life in an instant. Imagine owl, woodpecker, etc visiting your garden each morning.

So, Dehradun is my favorite place in this sense. Second comes Pune, mainly because of weather and hills all around. I will probably be shifting to Dehradun for sometime and see how it works out. If it doesn't Pune will probably be my final destination.
shashankjain16 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 12:51   #54
BHPian

Born and lived in Bombay my entire life. Quite grateful for it. I've visited the other major metro cities (Delhi, Bangalore, Calcutta) and would hands down choose Bombay over any other metro city in India.

If I were to choose any other city in India, it would be Chandigarh.

Visited twice, loved the place. It's clean, road infrastructure is great, food is excellent. I'd say Chandigarh has the best north Indian food I've experienced. There are some nice brewery's. It seemed like a very pleasant yet fun place, with plenty to do as well.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 12:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

I would love to be in Mumbai for its relentless pace and equally on the other side, one of the quieter hill stations near the busy ones, Pangot near Nainital for example or Coonor near Ooty. Kind of stuck in Pune,which is really a metro size city with a small town attitude and a ( undeveloped) village level infrastructure!

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 1st June 2023 at 12:58.
Old 1st June 2023, 14:16   #56
BHPian

Lived in Bangalore, Pune, Mumbai and Delhi for last 45 yrs. Each of these cities hold innumerable pluses and minuses! The moment one begins to get cozy there’s always some other city that seems enticing !

For me:

Work : Amchi Mumbai for its vibrant culture, magnanimous crowd always ready to lend a helping hand and it seems as if that time never seems to come to a standstill

Live : Been to Bangalore not so frequently in the past but being born in that city, heart pulls me there (always). Despite haphazard growth of the city I’d love to settle down here !!
Old 1st June 2023, 15:05   #57
BHPian

Grew up in north Bengal (Kalimpong, Siliguri) then moved to Bangalore in 2000 for college which was followed by job. I have also lived in Seattle & Chicago for 6 odd years now back in Bangalore.

Bangalore to me is home now - work, kid's school, facilities, diverse people & fairly cosmopolitan vibe. Yes, the infra has been a drawback for more than a decade now but one can hope once that things will improve once the metro is up & running across the city. However I cant see myself retiring here, it's too driven & too expensive.

Goa has always been a favorite haunt but the summers are too extreme & the crowd is just growing exponentially. North Goa breaks my heart at the levels of exploitation of nature's bounty every time I visit now.

I love Bombay, have been there on & off for many months. To me it is the only proper big city in this country however just too expensive to settle down to retire without a family home.

Maybe a little home somewhere between Kalimpong & Lava would be the ultimate fantasy with life doing a full circle but there are drawbacks there too... limited medical facilities, etc.

Sigh! Life comes at us with plenty of surprises so am not looking too far ahead, who knows where it will take me in the next couple of decades.

Miles to go before I sleep...
Old 1st June 2023, 15:33   #58
BHPian

Lived in Dwarahat (Ranikhet), Almora, Delhi, Toronto and Pune, cherished every place i lived in. Had a wonderful time and memories associated with each city.

For to work and to live, my favourite destination would be Dwarahat for- its natural aura, slow lifestyle, beautiful natural places to explore, lot of objects to shoot (with camera) and twisty roads to drive. Moreover we own two homes (1 at hilltop and 1 besides major road with2 dedicated car garages). Here are few examples for all of you to fall in love with:

Great Himalayan view, a true stress buster:

If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-img20221213144514.jpg

Twisty roads:
If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-img20221213164032.jpg

View from Home: Dunagiri temple:
If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-img20221215095100.jpg
UD17 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 15:55   #59
BANNED

I live in Delhi which is known for high levels of pollution, overcrowding, and stressful environments. Limited green spaces, traffic congestion, and skyrocketing living costs make living in metro cities challenging.

If I get a chance I will either shift to Rishikesh or Goa. I have made several trips to both places and found them excellent , will try to explain how in my first post here.

Serene Vibes:
Rishikesh, nestled in the foothills of the majestic Himalayas, emanates a spiritual aura that captivates hearts. The tranquil banks of the holy Ganges River invite introspection and offer a respite from the city's clamor. Goa, with its pristine beaches and tropical vibes, encourages a relaxed mindset that harmonizes with the ebb and flow of the ocean. The serene vibes of these destinations create an environment conducive to personal growth and well-being.

Escape to Nature:

While Delhi boasts pockets of greenery, it often succumbs to the noise and pollution typical of a metros. Rishikesh and Goa, on the other hand are blessed with abundant natural beauty. Rishikesh's proximity to the Himalayas allows for picturesque hikes, meditation retreats, and a chance to reconnect with nature's majesty. Goa's lush landscapes, coconut groves, and sun-kissed beaches offer a perfect blend of relaxation and adventure, making it a haven for nature enthusiasts.

Wellness and Spiritual Retreats:

Rishikesh, renowned as the "Yoga Capital of the World," attracts spiritual seekers and wellness enthusiasts from across the globe. The city boasts world-class yoga and meditation retreats, providing a transformative experience for the mind, body, and soul. Goa, too, offers a myriad of wellness centers and holistic retreats, offering rejuvenating therapies, Ayurvedic treatments, and meditation workshops. Both destinations offer a sanctuary for self-discovery and personal growth.

Relaxed Lifestyle:

In contrast to Delhi's frenetic pace, Rishikesh and Goa embrace a slower, more laid-back lifestyle. Rishikesh's peaceful ambiance encourages introspection and mindfulness, fostering a sense of inner calm. Goa's relaxed coastal vibe promotes a carefree lifestyle, allowing residents and visitors to unwind and recharge. Whether it's practicing yoga on the banks of the Ganges or savoring the simplicity of a beachside shack, these destinations provide a refuge from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Conclusion:
While Delhi has its own allure and urban conveniences, Rishikesh and Goa beckon those seeking solace, natural beauty, and a slower pace of life. The spiritual and serene ambiance of Rishikesh and the tropical bliss of Goa offer an escape that rejuvenates the mind, body, and soul. So, if you yearn for a tranquil haven away from the chaos, both Rishikesh and Goa stand as idyllic choices, allowing you to immerse yourself in nature, wellness, and the joys of a relaxed lifestyle.
Old 1st June 2023, 15:58   #60
BHPian

I am basically from Karnataka, did schooling in Tumkur and higher education in Bangalore and Delhi. My first job was in Pune at Mahindra engineering, lived there for about six months and I kind of liked it but the Bangalore was calling me back. Moved to Bangalore and I am kind of settled here but looking to move to some hilly rural region near Bangalore on Kanakapura Road for some peace in life.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks