Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2023, 10:41   #76

Re: If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?

I am in Pune and it remains my first choice.
But if i have to decide another city it would be Mysuru. I have been over there and liked the city. It may not be as big a city as Pune but there is the usual city feel. There are good places to visit in the vicinity. Bengaluru is nearby for any official work.
I have lived in Surat and Vadodara earlier and did like both the cities.
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:28   #77
BHPian

Re: If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?

As much as I like Goa and various places in the Western Ghats, I wouldn't move there, unless it involves taking up some job or project there. I fear that a permanent kind of stay without purpose will kill the allure that the place has for me. I fear that I may overstay my welcome. The city life keeps my mind focused and keeps the wheel of time moving in a predictable, albeit mundane manner. I fear that if I get too comfortable, my mind will be distracted by many existential questions, the very same questions I try to drive away from my mind. I like the whole idea of enjoying the simple pleasures of life, but for good or for bad, half a lifetime of conditioning in the rat race has taken its toll, and I always need the 'next goal' to stay motivated. That next goal cannot be a hobby or pursuing simple pleasures of life, unless I go through a complete transformation through some kind of mentorship or workshop.

My father was in a transferable job and I have lived all over India with people of all ethnicities. The result is that I feel at home everywhere, but at the same time feel disconnected everywhere. I don't mean the disconnection part in a negative way, just that I am unable to stay that "I have finally arrived at my destination". For now Bangalore is home, we own a house here and this is probably where we will retire. In an alt universe I would have liked to live in a small town Rajasthan (although I am not from there), near some fort, inside the old town, close to where all the good food is available

There was a time when I felt that people are important and one must live among like minded people. My multi cultural friend circle was a great place to have conversations and feel intellectually stimulated. I find that need diminished now. I respect intelligence in all kinds of people and no longer believe that only people educated up to a certain level possess intelligence. Hence people are no longer a driver either.
Malyaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 11:36   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Having spent my childhood in Naharlagun- the one half of the twin capital complex of Arunachal Pradesh, it’s hardly a surprise that I would prefer the hills anyday. Calcutta is the place I where I presently stay and I kind of enjoy the laidback vibes the city has to offer despite its many flaws. Having said that, I would, given a chance would want to shift to a quaint place like Kalimpong or a place like Kaluk in Sikkim. Only drawback is the lack of good healthcare facilities.

But that is put aside, then I would definitely like to wake up to a view like this every day !!
If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-b25a344bc4d840068afa7635ff10a706.jpeg

A little Country home in a place like Kalimpong-just like this one.
If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-6de2f793e9b04a998998cab547b9d919.jpeg

Breakfast and lunch will have views like this and dinner counting the stars
If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-36a43991af194cac872267c40f19affc.jpeg

Or May be a place like Kaluk where one will wake up to views like these

If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-58397517adda455f8b513929a408b3cb.jpeg

May be someday, I hope, life will give me chance to go back to my childhood days of simple life, growing vegetables and spending time with the nature, farming and what not. Kalimpong as a place is inviting for me enough, let’s see if I can get the chance to accept the invite or not !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 12:08   #79
BHPian

Why not add a poll to make it more interesting?
Old 2nd June 2023, 18:05   #80
BHPian

Bombay is my janmabhoomi and Bangalore is my karmabhoomi. Have stayed almost equal halves of my life there. With a few years in Ahmedabad, Jaipur and New Jersey.

After close to 20 years in Bangalore, it would be very difficult for me to move back to Bombay. 1. I don’t believe I can afford a decent sized apartment in a decent location there and 2. Have got used to a certain pace of life that Bangalore offers and am not ready to recalibrate for a fast life once again.

But as my wife and I approach our mid and late forties, the thought of relocating (Usual constraints of kid studies, work etc.) apart does cross our mind.

Bangalore has beautiful apartment complexes and we are blessed to stay in one of them. But stepping out and one is exposed to many of the drawbacks that have been detailed in posts before this one.

But I would strongly consider Bangalore to be the place to retire. And if I can afford it, it would be in an area like Malleshwaram or Jayanagar.

But the allure of moving to a Tier 3 town is constant. I have loved reading about the choices expressed by fellow bhpians and it has made me reconsider my choice.

For me it could (would?) be a small town like Igatpuri

Some of the reasons are:
1. I do have a plot of land there. And that makes a big difference. Though yes, have to construct on it (hopefully that wouldn’t be beyond a 40 lakh mark for a basic bungalow a few years down the line)
2. It is close to Bombay and Nashik. And with the Samruddhi mahamarg coming up there, connectivity would be much better and easier.
3. The weather is simply amazing and the air is crisp.

Another place that I would also consider is Karjat for almost similar reasons above (shameless plug in - let me know if someone wants to buy a plot there)

That said, Bangalore (despite all the bad rap it gets) is truly close to my heart. The people, the food, the weather, access to lovely places within a couple of hours.

That makes Sakleshpur another strong contender!
Old 2nd June 2023, 18:57   #81
BHPian

I have stayed in Delhi, Pune, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai till date. But honestly I hate cities due to crowd, traffic and pollution.. If I get a chance to go and stay at a place of my choice then it would be Ganpatipule near Ratnagiri.. That place relaxed and calmed me like no place else.. Plus it never gets crowded like Goa.. Awesome beaches and awesome sunsets.. I can just keep looking at them year after year..
Old 2nd June 2023, 21:41   #82
BHPian

When (yes, not an 'if') I relocate back, while Pune holds a dear spot in heart my choice would be Indore.
1. Lot of extended family in MP and that region
2. Culturally quite similar to Pune (with the Peshwa/Holkar history).
3. Consistently being in the top category for cleanliness
4. The Rupee goes that little bit more with a lower COL.
5. No language issues
6. Over the years I have found MP/Rajasthan/Gujarat people to be friendlier, more genuine and have a better work ethic. Maharashtra - not so much. Case in point, you will see more people around the streets not doing anything that these three states.
7. A young population with premier educational institutions and work opportunities
8. Food heaven (Sarafa, anyone?)
9. Good connectivity both rail and road and eventually air.
10. Good medical infrastructure and big metros are just couple of hours by flight and under 10 hrs once DMEW is operational.

we do have some investments done there so that is a big plus as well. I do see us rotating between the US, Pune and Indore.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 23:12   #83
BHPian

Bengaluru is the top preference. Irrespective of traffic woes, Bengaluru have the charm.
Next preferences are Coorg/Ooty. Amazing places to visit. Visit every year.
Old 3rd June 2023, 01:32   #84

I would shift to Ranchi.

Currently, I stay in Pune. Have stayed in Bengaluru, Bhopal. Patna is my hometown. Bhopal is a lovely city.

Ranchi is a familiar city to me as I have been there multiple times over last 2 decades (my sister's family stays there).
It still is a small town about which I am nostalgic. Availability of fresh vegetables (8/10 times I used to cook non-veg during my 3 year stay in Koramangala, Bengaluru).
It is cooler as compared to my hometown Patna (similar to Pune).
Availability of good schools.
Can drive to Patna in ~8 hours for a change.

I think, in bigger cities houses are not value for money.

Fantasy (which can be fulfilled in Ranchi):
I wish to stay in a house with lot of open spaces (for eg: have a 1500 sqft house on a 7500sqft plot), surrounded with trees, trees even on terrace (can be planted in huge plastic drums). I purchased a plot in Ranchi couple of years ago, which can be used to construct a house. The plot has internal roads on 3 sides. This may allow me to plant trees all around. I can build a sustainable house. I wish to sit on my verandah and have tea surrounded with greenery and enjoy the breeze.
I can teach tribal kids and attain a sense of giving back to the society (I have taught kids in past).
In coming years houses would become more expensive and flat sizes would keep shrinking. In future, when my kid and his family visits us (assuming they would stay in some major city in India or abroad), they can get distressed in such a home.
I can treat my friend when they visit us, in a home closer to nature.

Con: I wish to meet my close friend/s every evening. This may not be possible if I shift to Ranchi. Ranchi is sensitive on communal topics (have seen glimpses during my visits).
sagittarianajay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 08:22   #85
BHPian

Dehradun/Doon valley.

Though I am from Mussoorie, it lacks hospitals and emergency services. Doon has everything. Excellent weather, a rail head, airport. Good connectivity and wide open spaces. I can easily hop over to Mussoorie when need be, specially during summers. Once I retire from corporate life in SUV-land Gurgaon, Doon it shall be!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 4th June 2023 at 08:30. Reason: Minor typo
asingh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 09:25   #86
BHPian

Timely thread. I have been actively thinking about this for a few years now.

In my early fifties. Retirement looms large, on the road ahead. And honestly, after 30 years of corporate life, am looking forward to it.

My thoughts as follows :
• I would like to live in a warm, humid climate, with access to the sea, in a house with a garden.
• The options then are :
o Goa
o Kerala
o Outskirts of Chennai
• However, I do realise that as one ages, access to quality healthcare becomes quite important.
• And as a resident, rather than a tourist, infrastructure shortfalls will become an irritant.

Goa :
• I love Goa. The food, the climate, the people, and just the atmosphere of the place
• However, I do think that the shortcomings of healthcare etc will become an issue
• If I owned an apartment in Mumbai, I would not hesitate to buy a Villa in Goa.
• Enjoy all that is good about Goa, and you are a short flight away from a big city with all the facilities it has to offer
• But for me, I will have to rule out Goa

Kerala :
• Actually ticks all the boxes
• However, I don’t speak the language, and do not know anyone there
• So not sure that I will be able to settle there post retirement, build up a circle of friends and a social life.

East Coast Road Chennai / Pondicherry :
• Not a popular choice, but works for me
• Excellent healthcare and infrastructure
• Very safe and peaceful.
• Easy access to Chennai – just a few hours drive. Excellent roads.
• And I do own an apartment in Chennai, and have a circle of friends.
argho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2023, 20:10   #87
BHPian

Great post. But it's easier said than done. (I mean the one in bold text). Today, there is a lot of social/family pressure. Could you recommend any tips/books/articles around this?

Anyways, coming to the topic under question, my answer is Kundapura. Also traditional/CBD localities of Bangalore are not bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I'm someone who doesn't believe in calling any city or house as my home. I am happy to relocate at a moment's notice if I can find a better environment. Of late, family+kids+school, etc. has put brakes on this tendency :-) I have lived in few other cities like Hyderabad, Chennai, Mumbai and Delhi before moving to Bangalore.

When it comes to cities, I'm happy with Bangalore. Thankfully the timing of my year of graduation and relocation to Bangalore, etc. was perfect and I got lucky on the housing front that helped me settle down comfortably. I took the difficult decision to leave the corporate world in order to avoid commute and growth-addiction - top two negative aspects of life in modern Bangalore. There are still many things to complain about but I like the pleasant weather, easy going people and travel options. I would be a misfit in Delhi and Hyderabad - too much flaunting of wealth and VIP power. Mumbai: great people but too hectic, expensive and congested. Chennai: weather sucks and outsiders don't feel at home.

I have not contemplated moving out of Bangalore but I have thought a lot of about having a river side holiday home. Even if I work out the aspects of flexibility, funds and motivation to camp there, there are a lot of constraints due to family needs that require us to be in the city most of the time. Beyond the fantasy of living close to the nature, I look at it as a necessity to address the concerns about the quality of food and water we get in big cities. This is a problem I continue to think about but I'm not hopeful of finding a solution due to lack of shared madness within family for such a lifestyle.

It's impossible to enjoy life unless one possesses a sense of contentment and balances it with the desire to have more.
Old 4th June 2023, 09:54   #88
BHPian

I grew up in Bombay and worked for many years before my transfer to Bangalore. I've also worked in Chennai and Delhi before retiring in Bangalore ( via Bombay).

Bombay: its in my blood and whenever I visit , I feel I'm at home. Habits like mentally monitoring your pockets in crowded places, following lane discipline have emanated from my Bombay days. The traffic in Bombay has exponentially increased, like it has in all Indian cities. However, the pace of infrastructure growth (new roads, new metro routes, disciplined traffic) somehow makes driving here still tolerable. So many pluses, Bombay still has...

Bangalore: it has only the weather in its favour. The pleasant, tree-lined city of the 90's disappeared long ago . Today we have a concrete jungle of haphazard growth , permanent traffic woes and totally inadequate public transport. A corrupt administration has ensured that over the years the city has gone from bad to worse. Non existent town planning , water inundated roads and increasing pressure has made Bangalore a pain for seniors like me. I still love to drive and do get out of town at the first opportunity.

So for me, it is Mysuru that beckons, with its presently acceptable levels of traffic, wide roads and relatively stress free living. Yes, the missus still isn't convinced but I'm working on it !
Sridhar C E is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 12:44   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Great post. But it's easier said than done. (I mean the one in bold text). Today, there is a lot of social/family pressure. Could you recommend any tips/books/articles around this?
I doubt I can say I am immune to these pressures or figured out life. Just that with age, you become more aware of the need for a balance in life and muster the courage to refuse to accept the society/family's narrow one-size-fits-all definition of success. I think everybody should get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see that it's not the answer. - Jim Carrey On this topic of moving to a better place, most of us just can't do it other than short holiday trips because family members might not share your vision or their lives depend on staying put in the current place. We may not have control of "where" but we certainly can focus on "when", "what" and "with whom".
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 08:17   #90
BHPian

Having spent time in Mumbai, Pune , Bengaluru and a host of cities in USA and Europe, here is my pick:
1) Vadodara- I grew up in the city and would move back without blinking an eyelid. The city is perfectly sized and has a cosmopolitan culture. One can traverse through the city in 20 mins ( at least was the case when I lived there).

2) Pollachi- This is a tier 3 city some 45 kms from Coimbatore. My parents stay in the outskirts of the city and this place is a bliss. It has good hospitals and schools. Doesn’t have the bling of a big city but for a year that I stayed there, never missed the bling. People go to bed by 930 and the whole neighbourhood is up by 530 am. Such a simple lifestyle that if given an opportunity I would jump to go back. Staying closer to family is another big plus .

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks