Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2023, 16:39   #61
BHPian

Re: If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?

Born, bought up, working/living in Bangalore (my workplace is 3km from where I was born) except for the time spent in Mysore for engineering and about a year in the US. Just that I have moved farther from the 'city' to the outskirts - currently live next to the last urban forest in BLR; waking up to peacock voices and ending the day (sometimes) with the darshan of a Russell's Viper. So, it is like living out of BLR - so in some ways, one could argue I've left BLR with the ability to reach Majestic in 45 minutes!

I would move to Mysore in a jiffy. Its a place I know and retains the idyllic charm to a certain extent (though its slowly dissipating, which is sad). The other place(s) would be Shivamogga or Mudigere or Koppa - small cities/towns in the Malnad region where you are in the midst of nature and in a few hours you can reach the coast or the forest or the city. I don't see that happening anytime soon tough - kids' school, our workplace, all things considered. I can still hope... right?
Old 1st June 2023, 17:27   #62
BHPian

Re: If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?

Great question.

I have spent years pondering on this, and these are my thoughts -

My requirement for a great place to settle down practically should have all
or maximum life work and fun.

There are many like Bengaluru, Calicut, Mangalore, Mumbai, Ahmedabad,
in the list, but there is just one that makes the cut, that is PUNE.

No other city in India offers what Pune does, Bengaluru comes close but misses out
on sea and the notorious traffic. Other places lacks something or the other.
But Pune is having everything that I need want or wish.

The reason for Pune is due to the following -

- Central Location - Pune is centrally located in India, kind of north south culminates here. Can be reached easily from anywhere like Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad
by driving or overnight trains.

- Hills - Pune is surrounded by hills like Mahabaleshwar, Lonavala and many undiscovered and plenty of ghats to explore.

- Sea - Pune also is close to the Sea, the konkan belt, Alibaug, even Goa is not far from Pune and one can drive down anywhere during the weekends easily in a couple of hours.

- Greens - Pune is surrounded by lush green forests all around, a little out of the city
in any direction will lead you to awesome lakes, waterfalls, forests.

- Size - Pune is just the right size right now, neither a town nor a huge metro city.
It can fall into the category of a town and also has all advantages of city.

- Infrastructure - Pune has malls, good connectivity, internet, roads, water basically
anything that one needs to live and work.

- Jobs - It has enough jobs in the IT and Financial sectors with many organizations having a setup here. Almost all giants have a center here and jobs are aplenty.
Even Pune is a automobile hub with Chakan having many manufacturing and anciliary
units.

- Education - Well Pune is an education city is no surprise, great schools, universities,
colleges for Engineering, Finance and campuses all around it.

- Food - Pune food and culture again is a melting pot of many cuisines, you can get great marathi, gujarati, south indian, north indian, chinese, continental everything here.

- Culture - Being centrally located you can find great cultural influences which give Pune its distinct identity and flavour. It has elements of Konkan belt, Marathas, Gujarat,
and adjoining states like Karnataka, MP and Andhra too.

- Law & Order - Its a safe haven and we do not see too many safety related issues with anyone, its secure and one can wander around without getting robbed or mugged.

- Weather - Kept the best for the last, I just love rains and the monsoons. Pune has great weather through most parts of the year. It rains a plenty and the aroma of the
rain and nearby greens makes a person like me the happiest.

So Pune it is.

As mentioned there are many which come close, but some does not have forests around, some miss out on a nearby sea, some do not have jobs and some do not
have the weather.

After years of pondering have come to this conclusion and am working towards it.
xway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 17:40   #63
BHPian

I recently did a road trip and passed through old Bombay Poona highway.. I really don't mind staying in any of those small talukas which technically fall within the governance ambit of Bombay/Navi Mumbai. Places which are just 1.5 hours away from Bombay look so nice and have retained the nature's way. I had no idea until saw it myself. Distance wise both Bombay and Poona will be accessible and with new hybrid or work from home, these places can actually be considered. Best of both worlds!
Old 1st June 2023, 17:45   #64
BHPian

Fifteen years ago I would have unequivocally said that the city I would want to move to is Calcutta, and I actually did that, when I moved back to my hometown from Delhi in late 2007.

At that point of time, Calcutta scored higher than Delhi on most parameters, whether it was uninterrupted power supply, uninterrupted water supply, pollution, weather, law and order, respect for women and their say in day to day society, and cost and ease of living - some of which still hold true.

Having said that, I have watched with dismay the deterioration in governance in the past few years. Roads have been encroached by hawkers with the active support of local authorities and politicians, indiscriminate development flouting all building byelaws has happened due to totally corrupt urban bodies, the famed urban transportation system lies in tatters in the absence of new fares and a lack of interest in reining in the Uber/Ola mafia. The airport is probably the worst in India among all the metro airports and while the government chases legal vehicles and makes driving more and more difficult with unscientific speedbreakers and barricades, a free pass is given to polluting illegal diesel vanos.

So while Calcutta is still home, if I had to move out now, I would probably go back to the place I spent 5 years in till the pandemic intervened. That place is Bangalore. It lags behind Calcutta in many respects (poor water supply, poor power supply, open sewers, overflowing lakes, poor drainage, poor condition of road and sewer covers resulting in death traps, poor traffic management, higher cost of living, etc.) but even with all the shortcomings, life is less of a struggle there provided one stays within walking distance of one's workplace. The city has a cosmopolitan vibe but at the same time is very laidback (much more than Calcutta), there are options galore for food, entertainment and trips and in general interaction with locals there is not as much of a struggle for a non Kannada speaking person as it would be for someone who does not speak the local language in many other places. I also have a circle of local friends and ex-colleagues there so will not starve for social interaction.

So I can go back to Bangalore anytime - though I would prefer not to.
Old 1st June 2023, 18:22   #65

I have lived all my life in Bangalore (Almost 30 years now) and I really love the place. I understand that Bangalore can be frustrating at times but the city is beautiful in its own right. But if I had to move out to another city, it would be the calm coast of Kundapura (Coastal Karnataka) and my current job which is completely remote means this is not a distant dream.

Reasons why I chose the place:
  • First and foremost, the tranquility of this place is unparalleled. Waking up to the gentle rustling of palm fronds and being surrounded by lush greenery will create the perfect environment for relaxation and peace of mind. It's a haven away from the chaos of the city, allowing me to recharge and reconnect with nature.
  • Not only that, but Kundapura offers the bliss of coastal living. With stunning beaches just a stone's throw away and the mesmerizing Arabian Sea beckoning, I'll have endless opportunities for beach walks, water sports, and simply basking in the sun.
  • Kundapura is also steeped in rich cultural heritage. From magnificent temples to historical sites, the town holds a treasure trove of cultural enchantment. I'm excited to immerse myself in the local traditions, witness vibrant festivals, and experience the vibrant pulse of this community.
  • Being surrounded by nature's abundance is another reason I'm drawn to Kundapura. The nearby forests, cascading waterfalls, and serene rivers offer endless opportunities for exploration and appreciation of Mother Nature's beauty. It's a nature lover's paradise.
  • Of course, the culinary delights of Kundapura are something to die for. Renowned for its mouthwatering Udupi cuisine, it offers a gastronomic journey like no other. The famous Neer dosa, Kotte Kadabu, Goli Baji, Gudbud ice cream, Kori Kotti, Patrode, the numerous sea food are a delight on the taste buds.
I know no words or pictures can do justice to the place, but here are few clicks from my recent visit:

This is our house and is nestled right among the paddy fields and trees (Apologies for the blur)
If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-1685623400054.jpg

Here is the temple that is just a stones throw away from our house
If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-1685623400087.jpg

Some random clicks:
If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-1685623400118.jpg

If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-1685623400182.jpg

If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-1685623400152.jpg
karthikkv is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 18:40   #66
BHPian

I have been moving from city to city from last 18 years

Chandigarh
Ohh man, loved the city. It has got everything you need when you are young. Zero traffic, good hotels, nice place. Used to visit shimla, kasoli every other weekend with wife. Even i learned punjabi But moved to other city for studies. Still if given option Chandigarh is the place to live.

Varanasi
Lived there 3 years, city gave me everything. But living here is chaos. Never liked it much but was happy to feel that baba vishwanath vibe. Still we visit place for darshan

Namma bengaluru
Lived here 2 years, enjoyed weather and nothing else. City is for people who are born in bengaluru or else everyone its just traffic and potholes.

Belagavi
Finally as i am typing this, moving to Belagavi. Hoping to like it and wish to visit Goa as ans when needed as GTO said.
Old 1st June 2023, 18:45   #67

Lived and roamed all over india as an army kid and then 6 countries in last 10 years. I think after seeing all big n small towns my fav place is back to my hometown Udaipur close to my parents and relatives. home is where the heart is.
But a few places that are enticing - Almora/Binsar, Mangalore/Malvan just for the food haha, somewhere near Silent valley, kerala, it's literally heaven, Gulmarg...the list is endless in India
Jimmyjimmyaaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 18:49   #68
BHPian

My mother has a transferable job. She joined in Mumbai, where I was born. Seven years later, we shifted to Bangalore, five years after which we relocated to Chennai. Currently, I stay in Trivandrum - my mother got transferred here four years back. Periodically jumping from one place to another is a blessing of sorts because we get to explore different places, rather than being stuck in one place for life. Yes, it has its shortcomings too, but that is a discussion for another day.

Of all places I've been to, I would settle in Chennai, more specifically, Besant Nagar. Why?
  • The primary reason is the folk living there. From my experience, people in Chennai in general are so incredibly helpful and are willing to go out of their way to help you. Their humility and kindness will often touch your heart.
  • I lived near Elliot's beach. One doesn't need to scout for places to go to on a Sunday night when you stay near a beach! Moreover, availability of exotic veggies and fruits was never a problem, which isn't the case in Trivandrum. Here, either you don't get a broccoli, or you don't get a good one.
  • Chennai may not be as active a city as Bombay, but it is definitely not as inactive as Trivandrum. Get on the road at 10pm in Trivandrum and you'll know what I mean. There won't be a soul on the road late at night. New Year's Day celebrations don't exist in Trivandrum, whereas in Chennai, you'll have a blast just witnessing the hustle-bustle.
  • Not a significant point considering that we recently bought a vehicle, but you cannot have a BH registration for your new car in Kerala yet. If we had bought our Honda City in Chennai, where BH series is available, we could have saved ~2.5 lakhs!

I'm ready to bear the unforgiving heat in Chennai; the pros outweigh the cons. I would happily live in Chennai if I am given a chance. Here's some trivia: Chennai was the first place where I started to see 'Live to Drive' stickers on cars.
Old 1st June 2023, 19:02   #69
Senior - BHPian

I have lived pretty much all my life in Chennai, except a few years spent elsewhere my job took me. Five of those years were spent in Bangalore and one year at Delhi. So if I have to move out of Chennai I will prefer Bangalore, or some small town at the foothills of the western ghats in south TN.

I love Ooty/Kodaikanal, but I don't think I can live in those places. I will be utterly bored after the first week or ten days, and am not sure I will like to spend the winters there.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 20:47   #70
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

If it were up to me I'd be shuttling between these three:

1) Some shantytown near Corbett or lower levels of Uttarakhand
2) Good 'ol Manipal. It is spiritually a second home now
3) Mhow. One if the nicest towns I've ever lived in
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 22:50   #71
Senior - BHPian

Well, Bangalore it is. I am here by choice and don’t think I will shift to any other place in India or outside India. For me, Bangalore has the perfect balance of opportunities, cosmopolitan culture, and a laid back feel too.
But yes I would like to keep holidaying to my native Kerala and also Goa in India. But don’t think I would ever move there for good.
Old 1st June 2023, 23:09   #72
BHPian

My two cents on this,

As a 4th generation Bangalorean at 18 I didn't see myself living in any other city apart from Bangalore. The old world colonial charm, also the social life and not to forget the car community. But as fate would have it I shifted to Manipal (Udupi) for engineering, sure do miss Bangalore a lot, run back home at every chance I get.

A few years ago a neighbor of mine who also happens to be a bhpian shifted from Bangalore to a sedate hill station. Hypothetically if I do choose a new city I would also go ahead with the choice of a old world colonial hill station.

Cheers
Cliff
Old 2nd June 2023, 00:46   #73
BHPian

I live in Bangalore now. Chennai is my hometown. If I could do it, I would move to Chennai. Not the new parts, but the older parts of South Chennai. The weather is muggy, but it is HOME.

My dream home would be in the Himalayas. Two possible locations - some distance uphill from Manali or somewhere near Theog or Narkanda (past Shimla). Shimla and Manali provide access to "civilization" when the urban bug bites. The rest of the time, one can just stare at those mountain peaks and glacial rivers.
Old 2nd June 2023, 01:55   #74
BHPian

I have pondered on this question multiple times. Which place else we can work from or retire in? Whenever we (I & wife) visit some new place we always evaluate that place for retirement
Last time when we were in Kozhikode we did find it good city to retire in, the only barrier was language.

I have stayed in Bangalore for 3 years, though l love the city and the weather but it has more grave issues. Rampant corruption has given rise to many unauthorised structures making the roads smaller. BBMP or Karnataka Govt are least interested to solve this beautiful city’s problem and milking it to fill their coffers. Water shortage is another issue here.
But I love my Grand Ma’s native - Mysuru. I would definitely like to move there if work permits.

I’m born and bought up in Pune, in-fact my past six-seven generations were born in Pune. If I had to move to a different city / town it will be definitely Satara. Satara is now what Pune was 20 years back into childhood. Open roads, tons of greenery, low temperatures and a bit of laid back life along with being connected to all major cities.

Ratnagiri (amazing beaches - less know and less crowded), Mahabaleshwar is nearby from Satara and so is Pune and Kolhapur. Work wise I can travel thrice in a week to Pune. So Satara = Majja ni life.

Last edited by knightfurry : 2nd June 2023 at 02:03.
Old 2nd June 2023, 10:09   #75
Senior - BHPian

From childhood trips on holidays to regular drives lately (includes drive through to KL), my dream destination to live and work (role permitting) would be Mysore.
If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-a_20220723094151.jpg
If you had to leave your current city / town, where in India would you move & why?-pxl_20220723_034012961.jpg

It has the salubrious climate of Bangalore and is miles ahead in just the way the city is planned (thanks to foresight of the leaders of yore). Broad roads, archeological beauty and its centrally placed location to many places of interest in KA, TN and KL tilt my preference (that's right, I would prefer Mysore to my ancestral hometown even, for a remote working opportunity!)
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks