Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2015, 21:27   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Website hosting + Email solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I'm now willing to get my app back online. Could anyone suggest me some good JVM hosting providers? I would need a minimum of 4 GB RAM to support my app! Any suggestions welcome!
https://awstcocalculator.com/

TCO of a VM with 4 GB RAM + 4 Cores is ~$800 for 3 years. You can setup JVMs, DBs on this.

Should be good enough for personal use.
Old 7th July 2015, 21:33   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Thanks for your inputs guys. I read upon the subject a little and I think I need to share with all that I really don't have ANY time managing the website, except weekends where I'd only like to upload photos and prices.
A regular blog with good photos and some write-up makes sense I think. So pointers for blog templates or anything else that I need to know?
I would recommend Squarespace for you
No headache. Just point your domain, and start building a website. You can take basic plan since actual selling may be on amazon etc.,
8$/month gives you a lot.
The best part is, on blogger your site may look a bit unprofessional, squarespace makes things look beautiful. Your brand will look like a high end brand.
There is a 14 day free trial, so if you do not like it, you can opt out.
Old 7th July 2015, 21:56   #78
BHPian

I second Netfreak's suggestion. A blog can be well designed and needn't look unprofessional.

- Use Etsy/Amazon for the selling.
- Stick to Facebook/Blogger for marketing.

Last edited by nareshov : 7th July 2015 at 21:57.
Old 30th January 2016, 11:03   #79
BHPian

I too am looking to put a website for business purpose. From what I see registering a .co.in is cheaper than a .com. Does that make any difference as such, especially for the website to come up in a search engine?
Old 30th January 2016, 21:07   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
I too am looking to put a website for business purpose. From what I see registering a .co.in is cheaper than a .com. Does that make any difference as such, especially for the website to come up in a search engine?
Not at all. The domain co.in is easily recognisable as an Indian domain which (in my opinion) is a plus point and helps put Indian sites on the global web map).
However I think co.in domains are available only for registered companies. (My info is a 5-6 years old, and things might have changed)
Old 31st January 2016, 12:27   #81
BHPian

Thanks RedTerrano.

I've zeroed in on 'hostitsmart' economy plan to get started. Seems to be pretty good from the reviews I've read. Next option is godaddy basic wordpress plan.
If there is anything I should know about these two please let me know. I'll register it in a couple days.

Also will I be able to handle the creation part ? I can handle drag and drop, template driven page creation with a little tinkering here and there but cannot do any kind of programming.

Last edited by alter.e.go : 31st January 2016 at 12:43. Reason: added to it
Old 6th September 2016, 13:02   #82
BHPian

Bought hosting from Hostgator.in under their Ganpati promo

Hatchling plan
Rs 5300 for 3 years

seemed like a good buy to start with and many positive reviews too.
Will update on the journey
Old 2nd August 2017, 19:21   #83
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, I have about 10 domains with BigRock & I've been with them since 6 years. Its time for renewal & this time I don't find them giving the offer they extended last year.

Need to know where I can renew the domains at a good price.
Old 30th August 2017, 22:21   #84
BHPian

When it comes to domains and hosting, the following advice I can give to all the fellow BHPians.

Research a bit and get the things from the vendors who are more known for their major offering. No allegations/offence to other brands but its good to buy the core competence thing from that brand only.
  • Godaddy and Bigrock are good at domains. Keep them to buy domains. Experienced a bit stuttery Hosting from Godaddy once.
  • For quality hosting for beginners, go for shared web hosting. That's sufficient for most of the scenarios. Hostgator is my pick and it has been working fine for 5+ years of multiple stints. There's Bluehost as well, that works good too.
  • For domains, I prefer Bigrock. decent pricing. Got a domain alongwith a hosting in bundle of Hostgator. But I slowly ended up paying up to 1.5x on domain prices. If you wish to run your websites for long, avoid the schemes which sell domains at cheaper prices. in a term of ~5 years, you end up paying more than if you begin at normal prices. For an example, any regular .com domain retails around $11 a year.
  • If you wish to step up the hosting, try DigitalOcean, its really good.

Expert Tip: Always keep your shopping schedule in November. Last Friday of November every year is celebrated as Black Friday and the following Monday as Cyber Monday worldwide. You'll find the best deals worldwide on Black Fridays and second best deals on Cyber Mondays. I usually purchase 3 years hosting packages from Hostgator on black Friday and get them at a price which is even lesser than a normal single year cost.

Domains usually cost less hence even big discounts are lesser in amount. Save big on hostings and get better deals.

PS: Usually companies based in USA/UK/Aus and some mee-too companies provide great deals. Not sure about Indian brands or Indian arms around then.

Hope this was helpful
Old 31st October 2019, 20:36   #85
BHPian

Bumping this thread up

I work with a zero funds volunteer organization and we are looking to redo our website and hosting. The website is pretty simple and is connected to a separate DB instance to store all contact form information.

Today, we use WordPress for the website and its running on an EC2 machine. The DB is a managed MySQL RDBMS.

Average hits are ~5000 a day but on certain events, we do touch the 100,000+ a day figure with a lot of concurrent traffic within a couple of hours.

We want to get rid of wordpress because it seems like there is a lot of performance degradation with it and the main reason to redo it is make it super fast and mobile friendly.

With AWS, it seems like we are paying quite a premium and I want to get feedback on whether any standard hosting solutions can replace this while at the same time providing auto scaling to ensure that the website doesnt crash even during peak demand.

Any pointers?
Old 31st October 2019, 22:12   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post

We want to get rid of wordpress because it seems like there is a lot of performance degradation with it and the main reason to redo it is make it super fast and mobile friendly.
Wordpress by itself isn't a bottleneck provided if you have a strong infrastructure. This is what I recommend:

1) Stick to wordpress but buy/customize a faster, mobile-friendly theme. Use as few plugins as possible to reduce code bloat.

2) Buy and install a Wordpress caching plugin like WP Rocket. Alternatively see 4)

3) Make sure PHP is upgraded to 7.X on the host server.

4) Install Litespeed instead of Apache - this will vastly reduce the load of concurrent users. Instead of buying the WP Rocket, you can use the Litespeed cache.

5) Get on the Cloudflare Pro plan ($20) which serves as (kind of, not true) a CDN. It serves cache/stored pages from its own servers along with a host of security features. This will save bandwidth and also reduce server load.

6) For 100000 daily users (not sure what your concurrent users numbers are), get a multi-core VPS from a reputable hosting provider. ( I don't have any recommendations for India though). This should be in the $150/mo range. The date second server can be synced from the origin server by a nightly or 12-hourly cron job.

7) Or you can get two cheaper Cloud VPS servers and use a load balancer. This automatically distributes the traffic load across two servers instead of overloading the origin server. You can do this through Cloudflare. With a load balanced set-up, you can temporarily resize CPU/RAM etc on one server during peak traffic periods without any downtime. With most good hosting services, you just pay for the pro-rated overage.

Last edited by Kamen_rider : 31st October 2019 at 22:17. Reason: syntax.
Kamen_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2019, 13:28   #87
BHPian

Good thread, however most of the options discussed are for simple html hosting.

Was interested in checking hosting sites that offer your own native OS.
Linux in particular
Ability to run CGI scripts
Ability to install your own db ( eg: Oracle XE has a free license with capped limits which meet the needs of a small application)
Secure socket https support etc..
Sites that support built in user authentication support ( eg Google Firebase)
Old 1st November 2019, 13:36   #88
Senior - BHPian

Get yourself hosting at Linode, Digital Ocean etc and you have all that you need below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Good thread, however most of the options discussed are for simple html hosting.

Was interested in checking hosting sites that offer your own native OS.
Linux in particular
Ability to run CGI scripts
Ability to install your own db ( eg: Oracle XE has a free license with capped limits which meet the needs of a small application)
Secure socket https support etc..
Sites that support built in user authentication support ( eg Google Firebase)
Old 5th November 2019, 23:03   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen_rider View Post
Wordpress by itself isn't a bottleneck provided if you have a strong infrastructure. This is what I recommend:
Thank you. I will read through each of the points you have mentioned and get back with any doubts I have.
We pay $150 odd a month for the whole thing today (a majority being the RDBMS), and do want to try and cut down on this cost if possible but without compromising on either speed or flexibility.

Appreciate the detailed reply!
Old 23rd November 2019, 18:04   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
Expert Tip: Always keep your shopping schedule in November. Last Friday of November every year is celebrated as Black Friday and the following Monday as Cyber Monday worldwide. You'll find the best deals worldwide on Black Fridays and second best deals on Cyber Mondays. I usually purchase 3 years hosting packages from Hostgator on black Friday and get them at a price which is even lesser than a normal single year cost.

Domains usually cost less hence even big discounts are lesser in amount. Save big on hostings and get better deals.
Thanks for the useful post. Do you have any suggestions on the current hosting providers? Do you suggest getting a long term domain and short term hosting providers to be cost-effective?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks