Team-BHP - A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/3474-guide-eating-out-bangalore-283.html)

Tried The Bangalore Cafe on double road (K H Road) recently, was highly recommended by my daughter's friends :)
And it lived up to the recommendation - excellent food with superb presentation, great service and nice ambience, can't ask for more!

This place gets very crowded and we had to wait for almost 30 minutes to get our table. They have a chaat shop and desserts counter outside near the car park, and like others who had a long wait, we also started with chaats during the wait for the table:D

This place reminded me of Cream Centre, the Mumbai based chain.

Cream Center is known for Ragda Pattice (To die for). Are you referring to food quality or ambience? :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 5591292)
This place reminded me of Cream Centre, the Mumbai based chain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebring (Post 5591543)
Cream Center is known for Ragda Pattice (To die for). Are you referring to food quality or ambience? :)

Cream center was also known for their Channa Bhatura and Onion rings.

I was referring to the quality and taste of the food at The Bangalore Cafe, every dish we ordered was great including the Pizzas and starters like Paneer tikka. Our stomachs were full so we couldn't try other dishes like the pastas and Chinese starters.

Some dishes are like a mashup/fusion of cuisines, probably like dishes at London Curry House if you know what I mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by procrj (Post 4941267)
Samrat is still around and food is quiet decent. I had been there last year for a family fuction.

3 years after that conversation, I had the opportunity to try the South Indian meal at Samrat, Seshadripuram/Malleswaram. Loved the simple, tasty food and prices are very honest and down to earth!
Based on our experience there, we did a take away of the North Indian meal for the daughter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NPV (Post 5593947)
3 years after that conversation, I had the opportunity to try the South Indian meal at Samrat, Seshadripuram/Malleswaram. Loved the simple, tasty food and prices are very honest and down to earth!
Based on our experience there, we did a take away of the North Indian meal for the daughter.

Are you referring to this Hotel?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/%E...g437?entry=ttu

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarpadaki (Post 5593956)
Are you referring to this Hotel?

Yes, this is the one - Samrat Residency opposite Nataraj theatre.

The last 1 year we have been following a routine of trying breakfast places every Saturday morning. While it's most the places that are well known and we often repeat the places too, its not a long list. But its still some of the best breakfast places

1. Taaza Thindi, Jayangar - I am sure this place needs no introduction. Epic pricing and Masala Dosa

2. SLV, Jayanagar - Amazing Idli, Vade and Chutney

3. New Modern Hotel - Do try their Puris, Idlis and Vada. They are lavish on Sambar

4. Try Janardhana Hotel for Mysore Pak. Its well worth the ride all the way to Ramnagaram. https://goo.gl/maps/Bff8qHXVEeyDVMdV7

5. Filter Coffe (Kalyan Nagar) - Their Puris, Tamil Style Dosa & Idlis. This is probably the most expensive of the lot, but great experience.

6. Veena Stores, Malleswaram - The idlis, vade and Shavige & Khara bath.

7. Umesh Refreshments (Indiranagar as well as Seshadripuram) - Good dosas

8. SN Refreshements (JP nagar) - Good idli, vada and dosa and they serve sambar as well.

CTR hasn't been as fun as it used to be. So we don't frequent it.

Went to Sree Krishna Cafe(https://goo.gl/maps/t97hk9NjR1exmWUJA) for breakfast recently.
Was a regular visitor during earlier times.
Food is typical TN style served in banana leaf.
I specifically like the Vada that is served here.
Breakfast was good and hot as usual. Leaf meals served during lunch is also very good.
The people serving there are very friendly and always have a smile on their face.
Some of them did recognize me, which was surprising as I went after a long time.
Would definitely recommend for people looking for TN style food.

For people in and around Jayanagar and BSK area, there is a new kid on the block on KR Road in form of The Kytchen. This is in front of HDFC bank and before Aksha hospital going towards BSK.
I took out a Mexican Bruschetta and Cajun Paneer on my way back from work and I was really impressed with the taste of both. Seating is limited to about six tables which is a bit cramped. Parking is on the main road or in the bylanes.

A Guide: Eating out in Bangalore-img20230806wa0019.jpg

Speaking of KR Road, near MM industries, there's a rather small hotel serving some amazing and authentic Kundapur sea food. Its called RR Fish land and is run by people of that region. They get fresh fish and it's a delight to visit. Prices are on the higher side and seating is limited, but I haven't had such fresh and tasty seafood anywhere in this area. Link to location - https://maps.app.goo.gl/GMtoAH6Ta64sAjLr7?g_st=ic . Second to this is another place called Shettys Red which is a similar setup close by . But this is a place which has become my regular fish place lately.

Karavali Lunch Home - My Brother in Law was in town and was craving Seafood. There are a few Seafood joints, near to where I live, however Karavali in Malleshwara was still in my list of joints I had not visited.

Parking - 2 wheeler can be managed, however for Cars, it is difficult to find parking.

Food - I ordered the Special thali, which came with 2 Neer Dose, Chicken sukka, fish curry with a fish, half bangda rava fry, rice, and I ordered another piece of Bangda Tava Fry. - All this for 280 Rs, my Brother in Law ordered Kori Rotti and Pomfret. The Kori Rotti came with Chicken curry.

We both really liked the food and are planning another visit soon.

Veg options, since I’m a vegetarian:
If you want really nice set dosa with kurma,
Parotta with curry or lemon rice, tamarind rice and in sheshadripuram, check out Sheshadri Law College Canteen(I hope I got the name right? It should be behind the sheshadri law college; I haven’t been there since September 2021 so I may miss)
Another place nearby is the Umesh Dosa Point as mentioned already. Their podi dosa is my weak point.
You should also check out bhramin’s cafe (no sitting, only two standing tables and parcels) near the circle(not brahmin’s thatte idli, which I don’t know if it exists still). They have some of the best ragi bowl/sabzi/sambhar/rice/papad/dal vada and dosa that I used to have thrice/twice a week in lunch. I never faced a stomach problem after having food there and was a regular, so I can confirm that it is hygienic and pricing is reasonable. We used to go in groups mostly, so Anna almost knew us over time and was fun to talk. I learnt a bit of Kannada from him over time.

These are not famous places except Umesh Dosa as much as I know, its the food that was always nice and wholesome.

After a long time visited Sri Gundappa Sweets in Basaveshwar Nagar and tried their signature sweets, ghee mysore park and jalebi. They have maintained the same quality and taste.

It is right opposite to Pavithra Paradise (a known landmark).
https://goo.gl/maps/ujyCRV6qCeY42b6u7

After many a time thinking about visiting Rameshwaram Cafe, we finally managed to visit it today. We visited the JP Nagar branch around 3 pm and the crowd was less. We opted for Mini Vada & Sambar, Ghee pudi idly, and Ghee pudi masala dosa. Finally, filter coffee to wash it down in the end.

1. Vada and Sambar - Liked the combo. Sambar was not so spicy though but Vada was really good.
2. Coffee - Strong filter coffee was yummy.

Dislikes :
1. Ghee pudi idly - Idly was not so soft and as I usually tell others, whoever thought of adding pudi (or chutneypudi as we call it) was a lazy bum. No offense to anyone but for me it isn't the right mix.
2. Ghee pudi masala dosa - Was okay. The dosa was very crisp in some parts and thick in some other places. Aloo curry inside was a little runny. Dollops of ghee on it though.

We (me and wifey) both agreed that it's as we thought a much hyped-about place. We still prefer the thatte idly from Shashi Bidadi thatte idly a little further up from this place (towards the 24th main signal) and the dosa from the erstwhile dosa camp at Jayanagar.

Sorry about not taking any pics as we were hungry and just attacked the food as soon as got it.

We had been to a couple of places over the weekend and sharing our feedback.

1. Pump house (JP Nagar) - We had planned to visit this place for a long time now and finally succeeded in visiting on Sat evening. We were lucky enough to get a place and were provided a good table on the ground floor (Upstairs I believe is a smoking area and will not be provided a table if one goes with kids). The food and service were nice except for one. We had ordered butter roti but were provided normal roti which was not even warm. But otherwise, we liked the place and would definitely recommend it.

2. Cafe Amudham (Jayanagar) - After a late-night impromptu ride on Friday, we stopped here for a coffee and Ghee Masala Dosa. Coffee was very nice but Dosa as is the norm nowadays was dripping with ghee. Maybe the restaurants should tone down the amount of ghee they pour. Would recommend it though for the coffee.

3. Udupi Gardenia (Gottigere Main road) - This is a newly opened (a month or so since inauguration) restaurant and we have been there earlier. We did go again last week. Ordered north and south thali meals and it is a typical meal that you get at these udupi-style restaurants. Nothing to highlight but a decent restaurant around that area.