Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2008, 10:38   #16
BHPian

The rentals will be quite high in Adayar and thiruvanmiyur. Velachery is Ok.

If you stay in Adayar, coming in the morning will not be a problem, but you cannot take the same route back in the evening and you will have to get stuck in the LB road traffic jam. Same for thiruvanmiyur.

I would suggest some place further down OMR like Perungudi or thoraipakkam. The OMR is wide and good till sollinganallur and will only get better once the project gets completed. But schooling will be a problem in this case.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:52   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I am hearing, and reading, that rents have sky-rocketed here recently. Land prices did two years back, so rents had to follow.

I used to have a nice 2-bed upper portion of a house near Alwarpet for 6,000. The current tennants pay, I think, more than 7, and someone who knows the property told me that today it could fetch 12 easily!

Be careful of the apartment blocks on the OMR. such an apartment would be very convenient, but the road development has caused havoc with the services, and some blocks have major problems with broken sewage pipes and even water supplies.

You must also check what happens to any particular street when it rains. We may only have flooding a couple of days in a year, but the difference from one street to the next can be dramatic.

There is a right turn towards Adyar at Madyar Kailash (top of Old Mahabalipuram ...err, sorry, Rajiv Ghandi Salai to the politicians) designed into the traffic system, but they do not seem to be moving to allow it at all. The U-turn to go back down OMR to take the Thiruvanmayur road is available, or to turn into the end of LB road (at the Lattice Bridge) from where you can access the lanes on that side of Thiruvanmayur, or the back streets between ECR and OMR with the canal in between.

That area (I live in it!) is very mixed, with some posh roads and some very poor roads. Our road is kind-of middle-middle class. 'Coming up', as they say.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th February 2008 at 12:53.
Old 25th March 2008, 15:13   #18
BHPian

Relocating to Chennai from Bangalore, help needed.

Hi guys,

I am relocating to Chennai on the last week of April. I require some help on the following issues,

1) Places where i would be able to rent a business centre or any contacts if available.It could be a cabin with basic facilities (AC must!). My choice of location would be somewhere in Adyar/Guindy/Alwarpet or anywhere around that region.

2) A residence/PG probably somewhere close to where i would be working. 1 bedroom furnished preferably (Budget 3k - 6k)

Any information on this would be of great help to me. Thank you.
Old 25th March 2008, 16:05   #19
BHPian

Suggestions

hi,

Some Suggestions for Business Centre :

You can try Alwarpet as per your choice not sure if plenty are available in Guindy/ Adyar localities.

Also you can try Kodambakkam High Road/ Sterling Road/Nungambakkam Localities for good Business Centres.

For Accomodations you can check out the Triplicane locality for Good Mansions(Private with Good Furnishings) to suit your budjet. Also this would be closer to Alwarpet / Nungambakkam Areas.

I amnot sure if you can get a decent 1BHK furnished in your budjet.

Regards
Marlon
Old 19th June 2009, 17:42   #20
BHPian

Moving to Chennai, Need Help.

Hi all,

I will be working out of Chennai from July 2009. I will be working out of home office for atleast a few months. Apart from this I will also frequently travel in Andhra and Tamil Nadu. In this regard I am looking for Fully furnished or atleast semi furnished (A/c is a must) 1BHk or a studio apratment in an area closer to the beach with Car Park. I will be living alone. If someone is willing to rent out or sublet a A/c room, I will also consider that.

I have shotlisted a few areas like Besant Nagar, Adyar, Tiruvanmayur, RA Puram etc.

I was there in chennai on 17th and 18th of june. I tried classifieds but of now use, (could not find a Sunday paper). I searched for a few houses online, but most of the ads turned out to be dead ends or no car park at all. And I read madbullram's horrible experience. So the next time when I am in Chennai, 28th june. I have hotel avialable for 3 days, but after that company says I am on my own. So I will have to find a house at by 30th june.

From what I have seen the prices being quoted are very high for the quality of houses as well as Sky high deposits upto 1 lakh. (the interset on it itself will add a min of 1000 bucks to the owner ) and brokers well the less said the better. Also I was very surprised that inspite of traveling more than 50 kms in chennai,I did not find a single board on road or a house saying borkerage or rental. Well, I found one but that was for a girls hostel

If anyone has any suggestions please help. Also what are the rentals that I should look for in these areas and how many months deposit etc. Online prices are ranging from 6k to 15k.

by the way my car might be a GP if all goes well, if not some diesel hatch

Thanks in advance
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:07   #21
Senior - BHPian

Rahul surprised that no one has answered your queries.

1. Its strange that you have not managed to find even one real estate broker, there are dozens of them in any area. What you will have to look out for is smaller boards in places like PCO etc because you would very rarely find dedicated real estate agents in Chennai. In my case I got the house through a tailor.

2. Chennai has a long standing tradition of 10 months advance so depending on your rent you would have to shell out the required advance.

3. If you are going to stay alone be prepared for a "No" to be told by prospective house owners. It is still difficult for Bachelors to get houses in Chennai.

4. I doubt Chennai has the concept of Fully furnished accomodation. At the max you would get lighting and fans etc. Nothing beyond. If you are lucky you might get somebody interested in giving an accomodation with A/c etc.

5. Are you particular of the areas you have mentioned? Where is your office based on which we could possibly explore alternate areas. I don't stay close to the areas you have mentioned though there are other Tbhpians who stay in that part of the city who could possibly help you out.

6. Sunday classifieds in "Hindu" would be able to give you enough options to keep you occupied for a week on only house visits.
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I will have to find a house at by 30th june.
Hey dude, do let me know your budget and what kind of furnishings you would need.

Please PM your number to me so I can post an ad in our company bulletin board. I also have a friend in Chennai who is a real estate consultant and will be able to help you with accommodation in the mentioned localities.

AFAIK, getting a 1BHK with a car park is tough. I was lucky to find one when I moved to Chennai. Most of the apartments have the car park reserved for 2BHK and above.

All the best.
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:17   #23
Team-BHP Support

I remembered a friend of mine mentioning this website.

Have no idea on quality/ reliability etc.

Chennai Serviced Apartments | Fully Furnished Corporate Service Apartment | Luxury Studio & Budget Apts
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r
I am looking for Fully furnished or atleast semi furnished (A/c is a must) 1BHk or a studio apratment in an area closer to the beach with Car Park.
This IS going to cost a bit.
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post

1. Its strange that you have not managed to find even one real estate broker, there are dozens of them in any area. What you will have to look out for is smaller boards in places like PCO etc because you would very rarely find dedicated real estate agents in Chennai. In my case I got the house through a tailor.
Well I searched only the main roads since I was running low on time. But still not finding one surprised me. I will speak with the local shops this time.
2. Chennai has a long standing tradition of 10 months advance so depending on your rent you would have to shell out the required advance.
From what I heard it was between 3-5 months. So news to me.
3. If you are going to stay alone be prepared for a "No" to be told by prospective house owners. It is still difficult for Bachelors to get houses in Chennai.
I already got no from a few ppl
4. I doubt Chennai has the concept of Fully furnished accomodation. At the max you would get lighting and fans etc. Nothing beyond. If you are lucky you might get somebody interested in giving an accomodation with A/c etc.
True, There are very few ads which say fully furnished. I need A/C for sure if not anything else.
5. Are you particular of the areas you have mentioned? Where is your office based on which we could possibly explore alternate areas. I don't stay close to the areas you have mentioned though there are other Tbhpians who stay in that part of the city who could possibly help you out.
As of now there is no branch in Chennai. I am resposnible for setting it up in the coming months. I will be working from home, but with lots of travel. I am in Sales role.
6. Sunday classifieds in "Hindu" would be able to give you enough options to keep you occupied for a week on only house visits.

That is why I am there on 28th that way I can cover both staruday and Sunday paper. Also planning to buy free ads
@ n_aditya,
I have sent u a pm

@ bblost
The service apartments are too costly. out of my budget as of now.

@nitrous
beach and 1bhk is tough and expensive combo, but if I get the right place. I am willing to spend.

Apart from this I am also considering sharing one room if someone is ready to let out. I might also look for a PG if I cannot get anything that suits my needs.

Thanks for the help guys

Last edited by indian21r : 22nd June 2009 at 17:32.
Old 21st August 2009, 08:44   #26

In case you are still looking , I would suggest to start your real estate search from One Search for all Properties listed in India. Boomi.in it will aggregate all listings from major web portals and give you many options.
Old 21st August 2009, 09:17   #27
BHPian

Thanks dyslexokkk, I have taken a place in Nungambakkam. Anyway I am relocating to Hyderabad at the end of this month.
Old 29th November 2010, 13:15   #28
BHPian

Hi...

I thought I'll just bump this thred than starting a new one.

I would be moving to chennai and would be looking for rentals or shared accomodation. Would be great if fellow bhpians could throw some pointers.

Thanks
Sam
Old 29th November 2010, 13:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

@Sam- It depends where you're looking at; Chennai is a very big city stretching from Thiruvotriyur to Tambaram, ECR to Avadi, there're plenty of options to stay right from Rs 500 a month to Rs 50K a month.

So pls share the details at which location you're looking or where your office is going to be located, what're the ameneties you look for & most importantly how much are you willing to shell per month.
Old 4th August 2011, 15:58   #30
BHPian

Re: Moving to Chennai OCT 2011

I am posting in this Old Thread because a new thread might not be needed for what I am actually trying to look for I hope people post a few replies for me here in this old but alive thread. he he

Ok, I have posted a career move in the career thread and now seriously considering that option of moving to chennai from hyderabad predominantly for better work. Minimum period of stay is 2 yrs (company bond anyway) and looking to stay closer to my office (which is Ispahani Center, nungambakkam high road)

Now, What options do i have for considering a stay as close as possible (within my budget of 10k, stretch a little to an inconvenient 12k) to ispahani center ?

1. I will be moving in first and then my wife will join along with our pet (if possible) in couple of months later
2. Looking for Individual house/Flats (if pets allowed)
3. Car Parking & two wheeler parking
4. proximity to rail/bus station (my wife mite get a job anywhere, shes into IT )
5. Should not hav water problems
6. Good to have power backup
7. Easy availability of maids
8. Furnished (as much as possible) - not a deal breaker but good to have
9. High Speed internet availability - mandatory, i m a download freak !
10. 1 or 2 BHK (depends on the house size & plan)

Considering the above criteria, what areas should I be looking at? What will be the damages to my finances ? What else should i consider before hand ?

I have a faint idea of few areas that I think are in close proximity to my office:
1. Kilpauk
2. Egmore
3. Mylapore
4. Mambalam/Kodambakkam
5. Choolaimedu
6. Saidapet

I have searched through Sulekha and not finding enough information and the prices quoted are way above my budget, so seeking help from my trusted site- TeamBHP

Please pour in your suggestions guys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks