Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2011, 16:27   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Moving to Chennai july 2009

^^ Saidapet is the only place you'll get a fairly decent place at that budget;and it can be reached in fair time by both you and Ma'am.

Option#2 is Choolaimedu ; new good unfurnished houses can be got there for ~13k.But it will be some commute for Ma'am if she has to go to OMR.

Forget Kilpauk ,Mambalam, Kodambakkam ; too high rentals

Ispahani Center is the huge complex on NH Road that has the Hidesign Store right?

MODS:Could this thread title be changed to "Moving To Chennai"?

Last edited by vigsom : 4th August 2011 at 16:29. Reason: message to the mods
Old 4th August 2011, 17:06   #32
BHPian

Re: Moving to Chennai OCT 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Ok, I have posted a career move in the career thread and now seriously considering that option of moving to chennai from hyderabad predominantly for better work. Minimum period of stay is 2 yrs (company bond anyway) and looking to stay closer to my office (which is Ispahani Center, nungambakkam high road)
Office in the heart of the city umm, I assume your wife would land up in a job on Taramani, Perungudi, OMR or Velachery, the best bet would be Thiruvanmiyur, a big 1BHK for 10k. 2BHK at 10k is possible but it could be an old apartment with worn down furnishings and problem with locality.

If you can stretch it to 15k, you will get numerous options. Gone are the days one used to get houses on rent for 10k & it does hurt a family more who are looking to relocate to chennai.

Myself having a permanent house in Annanagar has to move into a rented house owing to huge travel time of 4 hours daily.
Old 4th August 2011, 17:28   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Office in the heart of the city umm, I assume your wife would land up in a job on Taramani, Perungudi, OMR or Velachery, the best bet would be Thiruvanmiyur, a big 1BHK for 10k. 2BHK at 10k is possible but it could be an old apartment with worn down furnishings and problem with locality.

If you can stretch it to 15k, you will get numerous options. Gone are the days one used to get houses on rent for 10k & it does hurt a family more who are looking to relocate to chennai.

Myself having a permanent house in Annanagar has to move into a rented house owing to huge travel time of 4 hours daily.
The company (WABCO, recently in the news for change of name from Wabc0-TVS to Wabco India) has r&d center in Nungambakkam, test track in ambattur and manufacturing plant in mahindra world city. So i am going to be @ Nungambakkam center.

How long a commute would it be from thiruvanmiyur to Ispahani Center ? I dont prefer longer commutes due to a weak neck that hurts in travel.

I am looking at places that have proximity to rail/bus stations because that will enable my wife to travel wherever reqd without much fuss. Hence, i listed T Nagar, kodambakkam etc. I doubt if tiruvanmiyur is connected to the regular rail circuit directly ?

BTW is it a better option to first get into a PG accommodation and then search a house after my wife gets there ?
Old 4th August 2011, 17:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

How about the suburbs? Nungambakkam can be reached from my place (Chromepet) in ~ 30 minutes by train. A first class quarterly pass may cost ~ Rs 1000.00. Most I.T. companies have a branch at MEPZ which is very nearby, or Shriram Gateway / Mahindra city.

An unfurnished 2 BHK with car park may cost around Rs 10K PM.
Old 4th August 2011, 17:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
I have searched through Sulekha and not finding enough information and the prices quoted are way above my budget, so seeking help from my trusted site- TeamBHP
Like mentioned earlier, we have a classified section in our office intranet sites.

I can help you find a house without the need to involve any broker.

P.S. Have PM'd you my number.
Old 4th August 2011, 18:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ Saidapet is the only place you'll get a fairly decent place at that budget;and it can be reached in fair time by both you and Ma'am.

Ispahani Center is the huge complex on NH Road that has the Hidesign Store right?
Yes, I have seen the Hidesign store in that complex. It also has Bose & Marrybrown there.

Saidapet is what struck me immediately, but i thought it would be too crowded a place for residential and hence thinking of options. Never thought office in city center can pose a problem like this !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Like mentioned earlier, we have a classified section in our office intranet sites.

I can help you find a house without the need to involve any broker.

P.S. Have PM'd you my number.
Thanks Aditya. That can be a good help indeed. Sulekha does have a lot of brokers around who themselves list "Brokers Excuse" wierd gimmick actually
Old 19th January 2013, 23:57   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Relocating to Chennai

Need help. I could be relocating to Chennai soon. If it happens, office will be in Perungudi. What's the nearest good place to stay. I am in two minds to take up a PG or a 1 BHK (am a bachelor). If it's a PG, it should be 1 sharing as I am told the work profile requires travelling.

Would need a place which is connected well (no personal transportation), kinda close by (don't want to spend half of my life travelling to & from office) and should have nice nice restaurants / water availability and those things that make the life of a bachelor easy (NOT luxurious ).

Could anyone let me know what will be the rent like (in close by places), deposit amount, availability of PGs (1 sharing) etc.
Old 20th January 2013, 00:11   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Need help. I could be relocating to Chennai soon. If it happens, office will be in Perungudi. What's the nearest good place to stay. I am in two minds to take up a PG or a 1 BHK (am a bachelor). If it's a PG, it should be 1 sharing as I am told the work profile requires travelling.

Would need a place which is connected well (no personal transportation), kinda close by (don't want to spend half of my life travelling to & from office) and should have nice nice restaurants / water availability and those things that make the life of a bachelor easy (NOT luxurious ).

Could anyone let me know what will be the rent like (in close by places), deposit amount, availability of PGs (1 sharing) etc.
Velachery, Thiruvanmiyur/kottivakkam
Old 11th March 2013, 22:31   #39
BHPian

Relocating to Chennai.

Hello friends.
I am currently working in Pune and have been transferred to Chennai. I will be shifting from the 1st of April. So could the BHPians from Chennai guide me with this? My place of work will be Oragadam.
I will need accommodation close to this. From what I have learned is that this place is very far from the city, but what I want to know is that how are the traffic conditions.
Is accommodation easily available?
How easy or difficult it would be for me to adapt to the climate.
Will I face a serious language problem? Is English universally acceptable?
Is it advisable to get my bike or may be car there?
Anything else I need to know and be prepared for.

I have never visited Chennai before. All the information that I have gathered is from my colleagues from here who have visited the place. I want to know more from the people who belong to Chennai. My duration of stay in Chennai is not certain as of now. Should be 6 months to a year atleast. I will have a couple of friends also shifting along with me.
I know no one in Chennai except a few colleagues, hence looking forward to meet fellow BHPians .
Old 11th March 2013, 22:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle
Hello friends.
I am currently working in Pune and have been transferred to Chennai. I will be shifting from the 1st of April. So could the BHPians from Chennai guide me with this? My place of work will be Oragadam.
I will need accommodation close to this. From what I have learned is that this place is very far from the city, but what I want to know is that how are the traffic conditions.

I have never visited Chennai before. All the information that I have gathered is from my colleagues from here who have visited the place. I want to know more from the people who belong to Chennai. My duration of stay in Chennai is not certain as of now. Should be 6 months to a year atleast. I will have a couple of friends also shifting along with me.
I know no one in Chennai except a few colleagues, hence looking forward to meet fellow BHPians .
Hi
Oragadam is far away from the city. Accommodation you might have to look close around your place of work. It will be quite cheap as its away from city but oragadam has now become a big business hub as a lot of MNC function from there. Language is a problem here but nowadays most of the auto guys speak or understand English so it should not be of botheration for you but let me tell you they fleece here. So be careful when dealing with these guys. Most of the locals normally communicate only in Tamil. Since your here only for about a year you can bring your car and since your away from the city most of the time cops should also not bother you much but ensure you do not have the sunfilm installed. Anything else required pm me.
Old 11th March 2013, 23:42   #41
Team-BHP Support

Re: Relocating to Chennai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Hello friends.

Try to develop a taste for Dosa items, stay far away from autowallahs (Call taxi network is strong in chennai anyways - and almost same rate!), rent out an a/c accomodation (Car too, if possible), try not to offend local customs (Including but not limited to keeping proper manners with girls in public) - and you will actually love your stay in Chennai.

I've myself just relocated to Bangalore after spending 4 1/2 years in Chennai.
Old 12th March 2013, 00:03   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends.

Firstly, Welcome to Chennai!

Coming to your points now - Oragadam is quite far from the city though that area is also fast-developing. You can for sure bring your car and it will make your commute to and from the city a lot easier. Generally, the cops have the tendency to catch other state registered bikes and question them (I guess this is not only in Chennai. Had the same experience when I stayed in Pune).

Climate - Chennai typically has three different climate - 1. Hot, 2. Hotter and 3. Hottest!
Ok. Jokes apart, though Chennai is pretty hot from March till September, the other few months are relatively good.

As others have also mentioned, try avoiding the ricks and go for call-taxis. There are a numerous call-taxis plying around the city. Though am not much sure about Oragadam area, I'm pretty sure that call-taxis will be available there too.

Language - Chennai is fast becoming a cosmopolitan. However, again the area might make a difference. Oragadam, being outside the city - might make your life a bit tougher - but definitely manageable.

Do PM me for any help and let me know if you need my contact number.

Cheers!!
Old 12th March 2013, 00:34   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
Hi
Oragadam is far away from the city. Accommodation you might have to look close around your place of work.
Language is a problem here but nowadays most of the auto guys speak or understand English so it should not be of botheration for you but let me tell you they fleece here.
Since your here only for about a year you can bring your car
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Try to develop a taste for Dosa items, stay far away from autowallahs,
rent out an a/c accomodation (Car too, if possible), try not to offend local customs (Including but not limited to keeping proper manners with girls in public) - and you will actually love your stay in Chennai.

I've myself just relocated to Bangalore after spending 4 1/2 years in Chennai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
Firstly, Welcome to Chennai!
Oragadam is quite far from the city though that area is also fast-developing. You can for sure bring your car and it will make your commute to and from the city a lot easier. Generally, the cops have the tendency to catch other state registered bikes and question them
Climate - Chennai typically has three different climate - 1. Hot, 2. Hotter and 3. Hottest!

As others have also mentioned, try avoiding the ricks and go for call-taxis.

Language - Chennai is fast becoming a cosmopolitan. However, again the area might make a difference. Oragadam, being outside the city - might make your life a bit tougher - but definitely manageable.

Cheers!!
Thanks a lot for your warm welcome and prompt replies. This has made a clearer picture in my mind. My immediate concern now is that I am moving into Chennai in the 'hottest' period of the year. So I will try to find out an A/C accommodation. Language seems to be another problem, but lets hope it is manageable. Everything else looks quiet adaptable.
I almost forgot about the food. While it is clear that I will have to rely on Dosa items which I am absolutely comfortable with; but is it possible to find non-South-Indian foods for a change?
How is the traffic and the road sense among the masses there? Would it be required to re-register my vehicle? Or I can manage without it since I'll be moving back some time in future?

Why cant I find the 'Thanks' button?
Old 12th March 2013, 00:50   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks a lot for your warm welcome and prompt replies. This has made a clearer picture in my mind. My immediate concern now is that I am moving into Chennai in the 'hottest' period of the year. So I will try to find out an A/C accommodation. Language seems to be another problem, but lets hope it is manageable. Everything else looks quiet adaptable.
I almost forgot about the food. While it is clear that I will have to rely on Dosa items which I am absolutely comfortable with; but is it possible to find non-South-Indian foods for a change?
How is the traffic and the road sense among the masses there? Would it be required to re-register my vehicle? Or I can manage without it since I'll be moving back some time in future?

Regarding north Indian food- Of course yes- there are lots of options available. Although you might need to search for it initially.

If you are using car- no need to worry at all. No one bothers which state registered it is! If bike, you need to be careful as there will be police checking inside the city.
Old 12th March 2013, 01:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I always find it funny that people complain about heat in chennai, nobody dies from heat-stroke in chennai. I have lived in north (by chennai standards ) India and you can die if you go out in summer without protection. I had no problem getting on my bike and going anywhere in chennai at any time of the year.

Thanks button is not available in shifting gears.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks