Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2008, 19:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

If you like North Indian food, then you will have no problems. The Brits are crazy about curry and curry joints plentiful than say Chennai. Chicken Tikka Masala is almost the national dish of UK.
Old 6th March 2008, 21:29   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Chicken Tikka Masala was (according to legend) invented in the UK!

But London has plenty of South Indian stuff, and it is aimed at the local Tamils, so it has to be authentic. Back to the East Ham controversy!
Old 6th March 2008, 21:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If you like North Indian food, then you will have no problems. The Brits are crazy about curry and curry joints plentiful than say Chennai. Chicken Tikka Masala is almost the national dish of UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Chicken Tikka Masala was (according to legend) invented in the UK!

But London has plenty of South Indian stuff, and it is aimed at the local Tamils, so it has to be authentic. Back to the East Ham controversy!
It was news when one pop singer got her curry flown all the way to USA from UK for a nice amount. I think this happened in 2004-2005.

Lot of hotels are also owned by Bangladeshis.

Thad; ever been to Priya Hotel (think that was its name), kind of just opposite to East Ham station.

edit: Curry + Cobra The official beer for Indian food.

Last edited by jkdas : 6th March 2008 at 21:49.
Old 6th March 2008, 22:32   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

...actually, yes, I think I did once!!!

the two places there that get queues on the pavements outside at busy times are Chennai Dosa Veg and Chennai Dosa Non-veg. They are both absurdly popular.

But that doesn't mean that the other Sri-Lankan places are not good, and I think I did have a good meal with a couple of friends (one Sri Lankan) in that place once.

I see you are in Kerala: there was a Malayalee place in Catherine Road (that's the North-South between East Ham and Green Street. Ever try that?

Or the absurdly high priced chain of Malu restaurants in Stoke Newington and the West End?
Old 7th March 2008, 00:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

OK, the south indian joints cater mostly to the desi crowd in desi neighborhood but the regular curry joints are for the Englis babus. Is that correct?
Old 7th March 2008, 00:17   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, although I guess that other Indian sub-cultures must have their restaurants too.

English 'Indian' food consists of vaguely Northern-Indian-based dishes, often very rich.

Just about any level of chilly content available, from none to it-hurts-on-the-way-out-too. There is a certain Brit sub-culture that considers it macho to consume vast quantities, especially after a few pints of lager.

There are also Non-Indian Brits who just simply like Chilly!
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:56   #37
BHPian

Bumping this old thread.

How many BHPians in London now?

I am looking for shared accomodation near East Ham or Barking, any suggestions, apart from Gumtree?
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Or the absurdly high priced chain of Malu restaurants in Stoke Newington and the West End?
Yes, I have been to one of these, Mala restaurant in Marble Quay (St Katherines dock ?). Food is decent even though its crowded and quite expensive. Service was pretty bad with that kind of crowd and people jostling for chair space. Have seen kids seated on the laps of their parents since there were no chairs or even space to stand!
Old 2nd January 2009, 20:03   #39
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Bumping this old thread.

I am looking for shared accomodation near East Ham or Barking, any suggestions, apart from Gumtree?
Accomodation in Eastham should be easy these days, The shop opposite the railway station usually has names addresses and phone numbers of people renting out their places. Dont know about the rates though. Its been 6years since I lived there.

Old 3rd January 2009, 19:24   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Bumping this old thread.

be aware of the gumtree scam doing the rounds at the moment:

advert for a really nice looking place, in a good part of town, at an unbelieveable rent. you send the email, he sends you loads of photos, of an amazing apartment. he then saya to be sure you can afford the deposit and rent, wants a show of finance, "so send yourself a western union money transfer for say, £1000, and fax me a copy of the transfer docket, that way i know you have the money". sounds simple right?

anyone spotted it yet?

that's right, 5 minutes after you have sent the fax to him, it's been withdrawn, by this character, somewhere else, you are £1000 down. because in the corner is the serial number they need to take the cash, and working in cahoots with some less than savory staff, it's an easy scam.

you come back after a lesiurely coffee, to find your hard earned gone, the number for the really nice helpful guy isn't being answered.

western union really don't care, and the police officer you are reporting to (i've taken 10 of these reports in 1 month) rolls his eyes and repeats the oft said phrase "these's one born every minute"

i apologise if this has been posted up before, but it appears people greed blinds them to the obvious, and quite frankly, they have no one to blame but themselves.
Old 8th January 2009, 08:33   #41
BHPian

Which are the areas in East London, which are quite safe from the teen kids or the racist guys who are popular in the UK for attacking Asians?

How are Barking & Ilford areas?
Old 8th January 2009, 11:37   #42
rippergeo

I'm not fond of Barking, I lived in Ilford for 2 years. Loved it. North indians and pakistanis mainly. Felt at home.Stay away from the pedestrian underpasses at night though.

Old 8th January 2009, 13:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Stay away from the pedestrian underpasses at night though.
and lonely gallis. the one between houses, back of the houses etc. else. shut your eyes and walk!!
Old 8th January 2009, 14:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai-uno-t View Post
be aware of the gumtree scam doing the rounds at the moment:

advert for a really nice looking place, in a good part of town, at an unbelieveable rent. you send the email, he sends you loads of photos, of an amazing apartment. he then saya to be sure you can afford the deposit and rent, wants a show of finance, "so send yourself a western union money transfer for say, £1000, and fax me a copy of the transfer docket, that way i know you have the money". sounds simple right?

anyone spotted it yet?

you come back after a lesiurely coffee, to find your hard earned gone, the number for the really nice helpful guy isn't being answered.

western union really don't care, and the police officer you are reporting to (i've taken 10 of these reports in 1 month) rolls his eyes and repeats the oft said phrase "these's one born every minute"

i apologise if this has been posted up before, but it appears people greed blinds them to the obvious, and quite frankly, they have no one to blame but themselves.
Hey man I did come across this scam when I was looking for a short term let in Bristol. As soon as he said Western Union, I knew there was something wrong. Good that you have brought it up here.

Its like those African dictator millions emails in which somehow I am the guy they have chosen to help them in transferring millions of $s for which I have to pay them a shipment charge. Funnily enough, I made them do quite the opposite, those stupid guys sent me some money from Africa via Western Union..
Old 8th January 2009, 16:19   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Ilford pedestrian underpasses? I can't think of any! Ilford is said to be less safe these days due to Eastern-European gangs. Sadly, I wonder where in the world gets better, though.

I'm not fond of Barking either. It's all right for a shopping trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks