Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2011, 00:37   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: UK Travel - Help & Suggestions required

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopal.prabhu1 View Post
It is a relief to see a thread like this. Very useful for first-timers to the UK.

Lebara or Vectone? Which is the better of the two? I need to pick one of these within a day or so.
I'm using Lyca Mobile, same tariff.
IMO either Lebera or Lyca should be good.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:34   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopal.prabhu1 View Post
Lebara or Vectone? Which is the better of the two? I need to pick one of these within a day or so.
Haven't heard of Vectone but surely Lebara would be a better choice amongst the two. Now they have extended the 1p/min call offer till 30th June.
Old 20th May 2011, 14:46   #78
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Lebara - no doubt about it. Best for India calling etc. Cheapest indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Haven't heard of Vectone but surely Lebara would be a better choice amongst the two. Now they have extended the 1p/min call offer till 30th June.
Old 21st July 2011, 23:17   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Relocating to the UK

Friends,

Planning for a trip to Scotland next week end.
This is the plan,
30/07 Early morning - Leave from Milton Keynes to Blackpool, Night stay at Lake district or around
31/07 Visit Lake district and night stay at Edinburg or around
01/08 Edinburg & Glasgow, return to Milton Keynes

What are the places around these areas and where to stay?
We are five (3 bachelors with a couple) and rented a car already.

All i require is the cheapest means of stay. Some pointers please.
Old 21st July 2011, 23:21   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss
All i require is the cheapest means of stay. Some pointers please.
Dude, there are loads of bed and breakfasts in each place you are visiting. Just pick up one if you like the pictures of the place and don't forget to ask if they include breakfast in the price. I haven't gone wrong with a BnB ever...
Old 21st July 2011, 23:39   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Dude, there are loads of bed and breakfasts in each place you are visiting. Just pick up one if you like the pictures of the place and don't forget to ask if they include breakfast in the price. I haven't gone wrong with a BnB ever...
Any pointers for online booking / info websites?
Since it is summer shutdown, I feel it is difficult to get cheap accommodation.
Old 19th September 2013, 22:10   #82
BHPian

Digging out quite an old thread.

I am evaluating an offer to relocate to the UK for a period of 2 years.

Though I have been travelling to UK often in the past and have general clue about life in UK, I am looking into specifics of cost of living.

We are a family of four. Wife won't work to care for younger one. Son would be schooling. We are not a spendthrift family but would like to enjoy reasonable entertainment like weekly shopping, movies and eating out.

1. What are the maximum monthly expenses for such a family.
2. What percentage is income tax calculated at.
3. Apartment rents - latest in London's neighbouring area.
4. Used Car cost and insurance for cars like Ford Focus or similar.
5. Schooling expenses. I know council schools are free but are they worth? How about Private schools.
6. Any other expenses that I am not counting on?

How is work environment? Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't seem to be true European but more American. (Not as employee centred as scandanavians but more employer centred like American organisations)

Need first hand experienced advices. I need to evaluate the offer.

Rgds.

Last edited by sindabad.sailor : 19th September 2013 at 22:13. Reason: Typo error
Old 20th September 2013, 08:40   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post

5. Schooling expenses. I know council schools are free but are they worth? How about Private schools.

1: I do not know but it will be expensive
2: Around 33% but goes up to 50% at a higher slab, assume 40%. You also have deductions like national insurance and also need to pay council tax (4-500 pounds per person per year)
3: Around 1-2000 pounds per week in London
4: You get cars from 1000 to 10000, all depends on condition. buy a used petrol and they are more reliable. Insurance for a new driver will be over 1000
pounds
5: Council schools are not all good. higher exposure to the wrong things could be possible but there are good schools there though. You need to investigate. Private schools - you need to do research but fees are high
Old 20th September 2013, 09:26   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Digging out quite an old thread.

I am evaluating an offer to relocate to the UK for a period of 2 years.

Though I have been travelling to UK often in the past and have general clue about life in UK, I am looking into specifics of cost of living.

We are a family of four. Wife won't work to care for younger one. Son would be schooling. We are not a spendthrift family but would like to enjoy reasonable entertainment like weekly shopping, movies and eating out.

How is work environment? Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't seem to be true European but more American. (Not as employee centred as scandanavians but more employer centred like American organisations)

Need first hand experienced advices. I need to evaluate the offer.

Rgds.
1. Assuming that you will be staying in London, the costs will be higher than elsewhere in UK.
Movies, Books, DVDs etc are very expensive, so you might want to consider alternatives.
General shopping has very reasonably priced options as well as very expensive ones, and at times these can work out cheaper than India!
Groceries etc. are priced almost equivalent to India nowadays. Not a lot of difference, with some items actually being cheaper!
Since you are a family of four, budget for approximately 1000-1500 GBP per month on these expenses, since you mentioned that you guys are not Spendthrift.

2. Ajmat has detailed out the same.

3. Again, you should be looking at, at least Zone 4, or beyond. Rents are very high in London, especially if it is a safe and good neighborhood. Try and choose an area that has a good Asian community, since your family will be staying at home and going out on their own at times. East of London has quite a few such areas, or even there are some similar areas nearer to Heathrow. But, be aware and careful that some of the neighborhoods may be dodgy and prone to street crime. So, don't rush and choose carefully. Prefer an apartment block over an independent row house. Expect a rent of approximately 1500-2000 GBP per month in these areas.

4. My suggestion would be NOT TO go for a personal transportation early on. In UK, Public Transport is VERY good; way way better than, say US.
Rely on Public transport and get integrated Bus-Train passes, if they work for your location and travel pattern. Not only will you save a lot of cash, but also a lot of headache. As Ajmat has mentioned, the car costs are not huge, but Insurance etc. can be killing. Moreover, parts of London will subject you to a steep Congestion Charge.
For weekends and outings, I would suggest that you rent out a car. It's cheap and you can experience different and much better cars (than Ford Focus) each time, especially if you book a car well in advance. So to summarize, go for Public Transport and Car Rentals, at least in the initial months.

5. No idea, although I have heard that Private Schools are very expensive and very snobbish.

6. Plenty - Pubbing (If you are so inclined), Services (Plumbing, Electrician), Mobile, Internet etc. Pubbing feels cheaper there, than it does in India! Services are VERY expensive, if you have to bear them from your pocket. Mobile, Internet etc. is very cheap.

Work Environment will depend a lot on the company. But, generally expect a very formal work environment and a degree of snobbish behavior, at least initially. People eventually cool down and become quite friendly. The three companies that I have experienced, were all very Company centric.

My experiences are based on my stays in Edinburgh, Nottingham, London and Belfast.

Cheers.
Old 20th September 2013, 13:39   #85
BHPian

Thanks for early replies.

The place is not London but is Southampton. Still the money doesn't look promising. I feel it would be more hand to mouth situation.

Car I can live without if public transport is reasonably good. Having spent childhood and college days in Mumbai, I am comfortable with moving wheels.

The job description and explanation is driving me. It is far better than what I am currently doing. But man I think someone would be better off in India even at lower salary.

Anyways, would talk to them again.

However I thought Council Schools would be good. It was a shocking revealation here.
Old 20th September 2013, 14:30   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post
Hi T-BHP,

I'm relocating to the UK, London to be precise for about a year. I'm going to be working at Canary Wharf, which i am given to believe is somewhere on the east side. What i'm looking for are:

1) Which place is a good place to live, and what rent? (I'm single)
2) Tips/ideas to survive in the UK - I'm an eggitarean!
3) Anything else!
Congrats.

1. Canary Wharf is the East End - once the docklands, but now the poshest part of London. Accommodation will be expensive. Try not to go too far.

2. No issues, so am I. Almost every cafeteria has at least one Vegetarian option on the menu.

3. Your Indian DL will be valid for one year there. afaik no need for an IDP.
Old 20th September 2013, 14:42   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

You have picked up on a post from five years ago!

But let me add one thing:

Quote:
3. Your Indian DL will be valid for one year there. afaik no need for an IDP.
Yes, do get an IDP for driving in UK on an Indian licence. Even I do, despite UK being my mother country, and despite having a British DL, which is not valid as I do not have any permanent address there.

You won't find flexibility from a British traffic policeman, and if you attempt to, err, incentivise it, you'll be prosecuted for that, and it would be a much more serious crime than some simple traffic violation.
Old 20th September 2013, 14:51   #88
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You have picked up on a post from five years ago!

Yes, do get an IDP for driving in UK on an Indian licence. Even I do, despite UK being my mother country, and despite having a British DL, which is not valid as I do not have any permanent address there.

You won't find flexibility from a British traffic policeman, and if you attempt to, err, incentivise it, you'll be prosecuted for that, and it would be a much more serious crime than some simple traffic violation.
Sorry, fo not not looking at the date.

No question of incentivising there. Whether an IDP or an Indian license you have only one Infarct to go and lose your permission, not three if you have a UK license. I have held my UK license since 1977, and have my ex-boss / friend as the local address. When I passed my test in 1977, the exqminer looked at my India License, and did not even bother about the IDP.

Last edited by sgiitk : 20th September 2013 at 14:53.
Old 20th September 2013, 15:23   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No question of incentivising there
Indeed. I just threw that in as an extra.

Quote:
When I passed my test in 1977, the exqminer looked at my India License, and did not even bother about the IDP.
It might be just fine, as the Indian licence is printed in English, but an IDP is quick and easy to get, and I wouldn't advise taking the risk.

Quote:
I have held my UK license since 1977, and have my ex-boss / friend as the local address.
I really should "move in" with one of my friends!

By the way... 1977? Wow, you've held a full UK licence far longer than I have!
Old 20th September 2013, 15:31   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It might be just fine, as the Indian licence is printed in English, but an IDP is quick and easy to get, and I wouldn't advise taking the risk.
In fact my 1969 license was in Hindi with the entries in English! When I took it in 1977 the license used to be for 3 years. I got it renewed in 1980 with my Boss's address, since it had become till the age of 70. Cost me £5. Also, it is now an EU license!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks