Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 13:36   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: UK Travel - Help & Suggestions required

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
In central MK there is a flea market (on certain days of the week) near Waitrose, There is a chap who sells wada's, idli's, and dosa's also masala chai.....
Wada, idli, dosa? Will book one table there for my entire period of stay

Thanks for the info.
Old 21st April 2011, 13:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

I lived in UK for 3.5 years and never had issues with food stuff. Lot of Indian places all around.

for all your Indian food cravings you can hop on to a train and get to north west part of london eg. Harrow, Wembley etc. TONS of Indian food joints there. there are a few south indian places too in Wembley.

While i was there there used to be a number we had gotten over the net. You could dial to that network using your cross network minutes and then dial in your INDIAN number to speak to your near n dear ones. that ways you only use up your Calling minutes.

I had been to MK on several occasions to meet my relatives there. There is a town directly connected from there called St. Albans. there is a direct train from there. good place to go to. nice food places all around.

And yes, please try and visit the above listed places while u r there. And since u are landing during the summer time, do try and go into central London especially around Harrods to see some real beauties (LAMBORGINI, SLS, FERRARI, Veyron ETC)

Have a good trip!!
Old 21st April 2011, 14:06   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
And since u are landing during the summer time, do try and go into central London especially around Harrods to see some real beauties (LAMBORGINI, SLS, FERRARI, Veyron ETC)

Have a good trip!!
Now, don't get too demotivated Mr. Boss. There are more beauties to see around there, than just the ones that this post mentions. ;-)

I for one, have somewhat of an inclination for that crisp accent with the Stiff English Upper Lip (Oh! Did I say Lips?).

Be mindful of all the laws though.

MODS please pardon, if out of line.

Last edited by roy_libran : 21st April 2011 at 14:07. Reason: Spellings
Old 21st April 2011, 14:20   #64
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

interesting fellow you seem to be Roy. I like most things Brit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Now, don't get too demotivated Mr. Boss. There are more beauties to see around there, than just the ones that this post mentions. ;-)

I for one, have somewhat of an inclination for that crisp accent with the Stiff English Upper Lip (Oh! Did I say Lips?).

Be mindful of all the laws though.

MODS please pardon, if out of line.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 14:28   #65
Senior - BHPian

Mr Boss,

Most of the forum guys have already suggested a lot of option to you so I am not going to do that. I am too in UK for a 6 month project stint stationed at Reading.

For calling home, Lebara is the best choice with a 1p/min calling charges much cheaper than international calling from India. These days they have an offer of free 10GBP charge with a 20GBP top up.

reg the visiting thing had done all that during my last assignment (when I was a bachelor) How surprising that U can work you way to making chapati's and not any thing else while its exactly opp for me.

Dont worry you are in safe land buu do take certain precautions. Hope you stay is well. In case you need to talk sometime do PM me and I will give my mobile no.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:39   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Unexpected & worst update I got now.

My trip to UK is on hold.
I'm working for a Japanese OEM & the decision was taken from Japan to hold all overseas travel (no clear idea on the reason, may be because of the Japanese disaster last month)

My Boss is taking up the matter with higher level and promised me that I could fly by the next week end.

The worst thing is that I vacated by accomodation here at chennai as I'm leaving to my home town this evening, sold my bike yesterday, blah blah blah.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:10   #67
BHPian

Oh! that's really bad Mr Boss. I hope it will be sorted and you will get the opportunity to appreciate British cars and babes . Weather is perfect at the moment in UK and it will better as we move towards summers.

You have got everything you need to know through other fellow BHPians. Just want to tell you that if you are planning to travel within UK using trains then make sure you check out the offers. Usually booking in advance offer better rates. Any most of the train providers have Group travel offer like Travel 4 and pay for 2. These offers are open throughout the year. If you are tight on budget then you can use bus - try megabus or nationalexpress.co.uk for cheap travels.
Old 21st April 2011, 16:22   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
In central MK there is a flea market (on certain days of the week) near Waitrose, There is a chap who sells wada's, idli's, and dosa's also masala chai.
I had been to this place (in 2004) and enjoyed the awesome food in the cold weather. One of the best foods I ever had when in UK.
Old 21st April 2011, 16:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
I had been to this place (in 2004) and enjoyed the awesome food in the cold weather. One of the best foods I ever had when in UK.
How is that I have missed this place? Any pointers guys? Maps will be helpful. Would like to try over the extended week ends.
Old 21st April 2011, 19:01   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Unexpected & worst update I got now.

My trip to UK is on hold.
And I'm told that London temperatures have reached 26C in the past few days, so you could have had an easy climate change.

Of course, given English weather, it could be snowing by the end of next week!

Do hope you get sorted out soon.

Another negative (or two) on driving into central London is the steep daily "congestion charge" that you must pay, and the fact that, having paid it, there is nowhere to park anyway. London's politicians have made it very car-unfriendly. This is one of the reasons I got really fed up with living there!
Old 22nd April 2011, 18:56   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
How is that I have missed this place? Any pointers guys? Maps will be helpful. Would like to try over the extended week ends.
IIRC, this is walkable from the station. Ask around for Waitrose near the station. This chap is a Srilankan and this was a mobile joint in 2004, not sure how it is now.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:06   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Relocating to the UK

Update :
Got my travel confirmed & will be flying this Saturday from Chennai (Via Dubai)
Old 28th April 2011, 11:57   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations and wishing you a happy stay. Do post your experiences!
Old 1st May 2011, 12:29   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:
Landed in London yesterday
Got settled at Milton Keynes. Wow! I really love the breeze, wonderful climate.

Planning to roam around London next weekend.
Old 19th May 2011, 22:28   #75
BHPian

It is a relief to see a thread like this. Very useful for first-timers to the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
For calling home, Lebara is the best choice with a 1p/min calling charges much cheaper than international calling from India. These days they have an offer of free 10GBP charge with a 20GBP top up.
Lebara or Vectone? Which is the better of the two? I need to pick one of these within a day or so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks