Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 14:13   #76
BHPian

funny ?

I clicked this from a Top Gear UK magazine. What do you guys think about it ?
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nano Thread-image0651.jpg  

Old 26th June 2008, 13:54   #77
BHPian

Amazing look, is it a new car from Tata? what are the other info about this car on the Top Gear Magazine?
Old 26th June 2008, 14:41   #78
Team-BHP Support

That was a pitiable attempt by Top Gear to show how Tata would begin reusing parts from the Jags on the Nano as they both belong to the same parent company now.
Old 26th June 2008, 16:31   #79
Senior - BHPian

The only thing we have to see is how much road accident this car will be doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRKUMAR View Post
Exclusive BBC link on the Nano, with some good interaction with the project lead

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Exclusive look at the Tata Nano
Old 26th June 2008, 23:01   #80

HAHA that is superb Top Gear At its best!!!
And here is what the First Episode of the First Season had to offer.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nano Thread-dsc02246.jpg  

Old 26th June 2008, 23:46   #81
Senior - BHPian

I was seeing some other videos where the Nano Project Manager guy was seen describing the car. On being asked about what sort of things have been made to keep costs under control. He was pointing at the three-lug wheels. Where saving of one nut per wheel was giving them economy. Similar measures have been made on the rest of the car. When being asked about what sort of innovation has gone into the car he was speaking about the rear screen being pasted etc. The interview was out and out disappointing, not worthy coming from a car guy (assuming a project manager/lead of a car company should theortically be a car-person).

Checked the wheels of a Smart car. Guess what, three-lug wheels. Wonder what sort of cost control directive Mercedes-Benz was following while designing that car. I have no questions after seeing the Smart as to why Nano has similar wheels.
Old 26th June 2008, 23:51   #82
BHPian

Nano

I will read the mag again about the article's content. But i can say that all said and done, we bought over their quintessential car makers. that too, from americans. as much as i enjoy top gear, they should refrain a bit from the India bashing. For all you know, they will be bought over by an indian media house in the future...
Old 27th June 2008, 13:11   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
I was seeing some other videos where the Nano Project Manager guy was seen describing the car. On being asked about what sort of things have been made to keep costs under control. He was pointing at the three-lug wheels. Where saving of one nut per wheel was giving them economy. Similar measures have been made on the rest of the car. When being asked about what sort of innovation has gone into the car he was speaking about the rear screen being pasted etc. The interview was out and out disappointing, not worthy coming from a car guy (assuming a project manager/lead of a car company should theortically be a car-person).
Probably you were disappointed because you already knew whatever he was saying, given the massive publicity the car and its design have already got in the press.

I have one concern though. While it is OK to use cost cutting techniques that have no bearing on performance and component life (eg. one single wiper, non-opening tail gate, etc.) is it acceptable to have measures that have a bearing on such issues?

For eg. Nano is said to use wheel bearings that are much lighter than the usual ones and are not expected to last long if the car is subjected to speeds over 70 KMPH (the Nano vendor who'll be supplying these bearing made that statement in press). Similarly, the electric motor in the power window version is said to use the cheapest quality steel that develops some powdery substance after some months, necessitating change of the entire motor (again heard from the vendor but not reported in press).

If the low buying cost is offset by greater maintenence costs and frequent workshop visits, the goodwill generated at launch could vanish fast. Indica had generated similar "Oohs" and "Wows" when it was unveiled 10 years ago at exactly the same venue and exactly the same stand!

I'd like the Nano to be successful the very first time, without having to go through the "V2" route. Hence this concern.

Any comments, guys?
Old 27th June 2008, 13:20   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Checked the wheels of a Smart car. Guess what, three-lug wheels. Wonder what sort of cost control directive Mercedes-Benz was following while designing that car. I have no questions after seeing the Smart as to why Nano has similar wheels.
seriously i was also very much disappointed after looking at that video, i felt that the guy who was giving the interview was not even remotely related to designing of the car. he said nothing valuable and the guy interviewing sort of asking better question lol ......
Old 27th June 2008, 13:31   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
seriously i was also very much disappointed after looking at that video, i felt that the guy who was giving the interview was not even remotely related to designing of the car. he said nothing valuable and the guy interviewing sort of asking better question lol ......
That was the video on BBC. The interviewer was asking questions from innovation point of view and the TATA guy was answering in terms of monetary benefits.
Old 27th June 2008, 13:32   #86
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post

For eg. Nano is said to use wheel bearings that are much lighter than the usual ones and are not expected to last long if the car is subjected to speeds over 70 KMPH (the Nano vendor who'll be supplying these bearing made that statement in press). Similarly, the electric motor in the power window version is said to use the cheapest quality steel that develops some powdery substance after some months, necessitating change of the entire motor (again heard from the vendor but not reported in press).

Any comments, guys?
The Costs Cutting must have come with Tata's not having to re-invent the wheel for ex: In case of the Power Window motor's !- Remember the olden day's where the window would refuse to go up or need a extra hand in going up ...!!

So i wouldn't be very surprised if they have'nt done anything except for looking at their Old Part's bin to save cost ...
Old 27th June 2008, 15:01   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
We were told the similar thing about Maruti 800 when it is launched in 1983/84.

Why can't Nano give better bearings == Why can't Swift /Palio give or better Tyres? They are not meant to drive at 120Kmph. Also why they are not giving K&N or Green filter even in tope end models?
Old 27th June 2008, 20:27   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
We were told the similar thing about Maruti 800 when it is launched in 1983/84.

Why can't Nano give better bearings == Why can't Swift /Palio give or better Tyres? They are not meant to drive at 120Kmph. Also why they are not giving K&N or Green filter even in tope end models?
Bearing vs Tyre argument can't be bought, because Bearing is a "designed" OEM compnent vs the tyre being a "consumable". About K&N and green stuff, I doubt if any other manufacturer in the developed wotld provides them on their stock cars, even on their "high performance" variants.

Directinjection's argument is really an interesting point to think about. But as it is said, rumours or word of mouth information is one thing, will have to wait for a few years to really see the results. "Proof of the pudding" you see.
Old 28th June 2008, 00:58   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Well, there is not really much ground breaking technological innovation in Nano as compared to process innovations. The 21 or so patents filed during its development are all process related patents. They really worked on cost cutting and looked at places which no one could even think of.

Even I was disappointed when I first saw the interview but later can be attributed to poor marketing skills of the project manager and the car itself.
Old 28th June 2008, 11:04   #90
Senior - BHPian

Its coming mostly October:
Tatas likely to roll out first batch of Nano by October
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks