Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2008, 15:25   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Just to complete your picture about the prepaid cabbie: The airport prepaids are close to double the normal cab fair in Bangalore. Hence the nicer treatment.
Yes! That's what matters. Quality comes at a price and I don't mind paying more for good service. Atleast I didn't have the trouble of finding a cab with all my luggage.

OT: From the window of the airplane, I spotted a beautiful Palace kind of a thing, with lush green surroundings and a huge park. Any Idea what was that? I was sitting at the left side of the plane, if that helps!!!

MODS: Can we change the subject line to "Relocated to Bangalore". Also, may i request you not to lock this thread as I am planning to keep it alive as and when I learn new things, places of interest and some other essentials. As it is not a travelogue but a move, please let it remain here only.

Last edited by amtak : 21st February 2008 at 15:29.
Old 21st February 2008, 15:32   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
OT: From the window of the airplane, I spotted a beautiful Palace kind of a thing, with lush green surroundings and a huge park. Any Idea what was that? I was sitting at the left side of the plane, if that helps!!!
What side of the plane you were sitting on will not really help, because the direction of approach for landing keeps changing (i know because i can see the runway from my office).

The palace kind of thing could be the Sri Sathya Sai Hospital in Whitefield. Try wikimapia
Old 21st February 2008, 15:56   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Or is it Leela Palace ? Just wondering. As far as my knowledge goes, now the landings are from West to East, Sitting left on the way will make leela palace visible.

If the landing is from East to West, then possibility of Sai Baba Hospital is high.

Any photographs taken ?
Old 21st February 2008, 16:18   #79
Senior - BHPian

No, i haven't taken any photographs, I doubt if its the Sai Baba Hospital as I didn't see any ambulance or anything aroud. As mentioned earlier, it was is surrounded by lush greenary and some park kind of a place. Plus it looked greenish brown in color and has sloping roof (something like the asbostos types)
Old 21st February 2008, 16:23   #80
BHPian

Commute Easy: Carpooling for India - Welcome
Check this out.Its about Car Pooling and can be handy.
Old 21st February 2008, 16:35   #81
Senior - BHPian

amtak,

do check with your collegues if anyone is going at least close to your place of stay. you can save that much walking distance.

if you like to travel by bus, find out the bus route to take. but please make sure you carry enough change.

and never ever be tempted to travel by a 'returning' company cab during night times! better, dont venture out late at night, unless you have some company (aka guys, not gals! *cough*)!

i hope i am not scaring you!
Old 21st February 2008, 16:51   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

if you like to travel by bus, find out the bus route to take. but please make sure you carry enough change.

i hope i am not scaring you!
I love travelling by the buses but only the VOLVO's which I saw 1 yesterday. I would travel in the bus only if someone is there with me who loves to travel in a public utility bus. However, after seeing the state of the buses, I am a bit sceptical in travlling in the normal buses but yes, VOLVO seems to be good.

And no, you aren't scaring me. I am sure all these posts and write up would also help someone else who would be relocating to BLR sooner or later part of their life. This is not scaring anyone, its the genuine concern for the safety of the individual and I truly appreciate each and everyone here on the forum who have helped me by giving their inputs, suggestions, contact nos and a lot of other goodies for which I am thankful to you all.

TBHPians rock!
Old 21st February 2008, 17:06   #83
BHPian

Quote:
No, i haven't taken any photographs, I doubt if its the Sai Baba Hospital as I didn't see any ambulance or anything aroud. As mentioned earlier, it was is surrounded by lush greenary and some park kind of a place. Plus it looked greenish brown in color and has sloping roof (something like the asbostos types)

Bingo: Leela Palace, Thats what I feel
Old 21st February 2008, 20:12   #84
BANNED

It could be Mysooru Maharaja's Summer Palace. It looks like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Bingo: Leela Palace, Thats what I feel
Old 22nd February 2008, 00:38   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

However, I am also keen on buying a bicycle to avoid this depandabilty menace!

Actually, buying an electric scooter seems to be a good idea for your transportation hiccups.
Old 22nd February 2008, 10:13   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
It could be Mysooru Maharaja's Summer Palace. It looks like this:

I doubt if its the same. I don't think it has Asbestos roof
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:46   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Or is it Leela Palace ? Just wondering. As far as my knowledge goes, now the landings are from West to East, Sitting left on the way will make leela palace visible.

If the landing is from East to West, then possibility of Sai Baba Hospital is high.

Any photographs taken ?
Probably you are refering to Vidhana Soudha and High Court surrounded by Cubbon park

Abhi
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:32   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Probably you are refering to Vidhana Soudha and High Court surrounded by Cubbon park

Abhi
Bingo! I checked with my colleague here and she confirmed that it is indeed Vidhana Souda! You are the man!!!!
Old 26th February 2008, 12:16   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

Abhi
It's Vidhana soudha with cubbon park n also golf club around
Old 16th April 2008, 19:55   #90
BANNED

Learn Kannada -Enroll Today !!!

Karnataka has been the land of opportunities and people from all over the country - either for education or career - land here for better prospects. People of Karnataka are warmhearted and have always welcomed the people with open-arms. Testimony for is many visitor have made Karnataka their home and are permanently settled here !

So its quite natural that people who are here want to learn the local language, local culture and get sensitized about the local beliefs. This is true for any place and it starts with learning the local language.

Here are the details where Kannada classes are conducted: (some of them are free !)

1. (By omishra)
Near brigade Tower on Bridage road, adjacent lane has one English medium school. There "Kannada Sahitya parishat" Conducts spoken Kannada classes on every week end, Sunday morning 9-12. They also teach to write Kannada.

Spoken Kannada classes
December 22, 2007 — ellakavi
Spoken Kannada classes
Kannada Prasaara Parishat has commenced its next batch of Spoken Kannada, Kannada script learning and higher Kannada classes. The classes are held only on Sundays from 10 am to 1pm, at the Hosmat Hospital premises, Magrath Road, (Near Mayo hall Garuda Mall), Bangalore. For further details contact B V Raghavan - 94488 78569 / H V Nataraj - 98456 80958.

2. SJR Group of Institutions conducts free classes to teach Kannada for non-Kannadigas in various parts of the city. They have 3 centers: one each at Shantinagar, Koramangala and Basavanagudi.
For details contact Ph: 9845989533.

Few links:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks