Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2023, 19:06   #1111
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jobs, Attrition & Layoffs in IT companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Any comments - APART from the "ethics" part of this. Has any one seen this happening ?
We had a whole thread on that last year, and I know such cases personally. I had to start a company to give myself a job at 50.

Here is one from another moderator in his 50s.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 11:18   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Are you sure about that? My neighbor back home just got into the Nashik govt college(cant remember the name). He has been struggling since sometime now to get into Pediatric specialization AFAIK. When we last spoke he was like competition is too fierce but was determined he wanted this specialization so kept trying for pretty long.
Paediatrics is a specialty in Demand now due to various childhood diseases but paediatric surgery is a little niche field which is less in Demand
Old 15th April 2023, 18:14   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Are you sure about that?
Your neighbour is talking about Paediatric medicine, a postgraduate degree, MD(Paediatrics) done after MBBS.
I am talking about MCh Paediatric Surgery which comes after MBBS and MS(General surgery). It is a surgical superspeciality. These professionals do surgeries on children right from Day 1 to 18yrs of age.

One of the problems of Paediatric surgery lies in your post itself, recognition.
The public is largely unaware of the existence of such a surgical speciality.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 15th April 2023 at 18:17.
Deep Blue is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 19:24   #1114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
One of the problems of Paediatric surgery lies in your post itself, recognition.
I knew about that specialty only because two of them (including you) exist in our udupi-mangalore group. :
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 19:43   #1115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I knew about that specialty only because two of them (including you) exist in our udupi-mangalore group. :
:
We are quite used to getting lumped with pediatricians but do see red when that happens.
The typical conversation goes like this
A Non doc acquaintance:"Aah, a doc, which speciality?"
Me : Paediatric Surgery
Non doc : Oh ok ok Paediatrician!!
Me :
Deep Blue is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 13:18   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I got to know about this specialty only after my daughter had to be admitted to NICU immediately after birth. The doctor mentioned that a peadiatric surgeon will check and recommend the right course of action. I sure was surprised that there is a separate surgeons for kids.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 18:19   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your neighbour is talking about Paediatric medicine, a postgraduate degree, MD(Paediatrics) done after MBBS.
I am talking about MCh Paediatric Surgery which comes after MBBS and MS(General surgery). It is a surgical superspeciality. These professionals do surgeries on children right from Day 1 to 18yrs of age.

Thanks for clarifying. Never knew both were different.

Am sure the one he was talking about was the medicine part.
Old 17th April 2023, 20:10   #1118
Team-BHP Support

https://www.businessinsider.in/tech/...w/99556377.cms

Quote:
I'm a former Microsoft VP of HR. Here are the real reasons why layoffs are happening and how much longer they'll last.
He is not saying anything we already didn't know. However, I feel he is trying to be upbeat regarding the future. AI revolution is going to kill lots of job. I see it happening in the BPO industry where voice bots are slowly replacing call center agents.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 16:29   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
During a discussion at office, a team mate mentioned that there's a surplus of skilled resources in the market, making it tough to find openings amidst the current layoff situation.

Another rumour is that companies are avoiding hiring people over 50 of age. While it can be said to be discriminatory, its easy to do this if a company wants. For some roles, 40-45 seems to be the cut-off and only specific cases are getting through in the hiring.

Any comments - APART from the "ethics" part of this. Has any one seen this happening?
Very much happening. Forget 50, even people above 40 are having a hard time at least in IT. The problem is that the senior positions are very less and the incumbents are holding on to them for dear life. Also some of these guys have very high salaries and the recruiting companies are finding it hard to justify the expense.
JediKnight is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 18:46   #1120
BHPian

Now, it is the time of the "Great Return" where people who joined startups are coming back to the larger establishes companies.

https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...755916547.html

Quote:
“Many who left traditional firms to join startups are returning to established companies. They are moving at the same pay scale and, in some cases, even taking a 15-20% pay cut. Those taking the pay cuts have not been fired and want to work for more stable jobs,"
m8002? is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 19:29   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Forget 50, even people above 40 are having a hard time at least in IT.
Isn't it the same with any other profession? I think all jobs and professions are tailored that way and people will pass through that cycle naturally.

And is there any data to back this finding? Just by calling out statements like this, we are unnecessarily creating panic which is no good for any one.
balenoed_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 20:12   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
And is there any data to back this finding? Just by calling out statements like this, we are unnecessarily creating panic which is no good for any one.
The source of this information is from a large network of friends and colleagues deeply entrenched in the field and who communicate very often. So your hearing straight from the horses mouth. But you could argue that it is a small sample set and may not represent the entire industry, which I agree is true.

In my experience this ground level information many a times gives a more accurate picture , than the large "scientific" surveys you read in mainstream media which just seem to be dressed garbage serving a hidden agenda.

Wondering what we should do. Not speak the truth and bury our heads in sand like the proverbial ostrich?
JediKnight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 20:23   #1123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Very much happening. Forget 50, even people above 40 are having a hard time at least in IT.
Depends on the role and aspirations. If someone is into management, attrition is relatively lower so there would be some challenges in finding appropriate role, especially if looking at program / account management kind of roles.

If someone is connected with technology and has real world hands on experience in some of the widely used technologies, not impossible to find opportunities.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 21:03   #1124
Team-BHP Support

Peter Principle kicks in real hard after 40s, and therefore most people are not able to rise beyond a point. In traditional jobs it simply meant, slower promotions or no promotions after a point. However, in the current corporate world such folks will be pushed out and replaced by younger blood.

Staying technical is also not an option for all. It is very hard to stay technical after 40s, only a small percentage manage to do it. I am still very technical at 54, but I rarely meet others like me. It is little more common in USA, but not in India.
Samurai is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 21:57   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He is not saying anything we already didn't know. However, I feel he is trying to be upbeat regarding the future. AI revolution is going to kill lots of job. I see it happening in the BPO industry where voice bots are slowly replacing call center agents.
Slightly OT but these voice bots are not very good at interpreting human voice inputs, atleast as of now.

Today only I received a call from Maruti, not once but thrice. It was an automated robot asking that if I want my car to be serviced from XXX dealer (and in next call YYY and next call ZZZ dealer), and asked for an input either "Yes" or "No". Even though I replied "Yes" in clear voice, it could not understand me and re-questioned. Finally on disconnecting the robo called again asked this time with different service center. But then again it couldn't catch my voice Input (which was Yes).

Last edited by DCEite : 18th April 2023 at 22:00.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks