Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2023, 19:57   #1066
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jobs, Attrition & Layoffs in IT companies

Here is Ashneer Grover suggesting that the employees can ignore notice period, non-compete and non-solicitation clauses in the employment contract. Anyone tried it? How does one collect relieving letter, financial settlement, etc.?

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/amitr...124128769-cJqj

Last edited by Samurai : 24th March 2023 at 20:05.
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 21:59   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Here is Ashneer Grover suggesting that the employees can ignore notice period, non-compete and non-solicitation clauses in the employment contract. Anyone tried it? How does one collect relieving letter, financial settlement, etc.?
I hope youngsters don’t take his word too seriously on notice period and non-compete clause and actually challenge their ex employer on their own.

What he says is right that these will not work in the court, but all your ex employer needs to do is send you a legal notice to make you shit in your pants through their corporate lawyer. This route can only be taken where your new employer is willing and committed to fight it out for you both legally and financially and you’re absolutely sure they will stand by you till the end.

I just changed my job last year after working for my previous company for close to two decades and my whole team along with our CEO left together. We are going through the similar challenges but at least have the backing from our new employer on this as to go through this nonsense for an employee on their own or collective as a team is not everyone’s cup of tea especially, when you’re fighting it out against a company which has deep pockets and something that should be avoided for your own peace of mind as well.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th March 2023 at 12:26. Reason: As requested.
SnS_12 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 17:02   #1068
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

The best would be to ask how he treated his ex-employees who ignored notice period. Or did he take in "experienced" employees without the relieving letter from previous employer?

This is a guy who with his wife, was accused of multiple frauds : forged invoice amounts, billed to non-existent companies and overcharged to their own benami companies.
m8002? is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 08:04   #1069
BANNED

Apple threatens to “discipline” employees who don’t come to office 3 days a week:

Quote:
Tim Cook has ordered staff back in office three days a week. And now he’s reportedly threatening to discipline the holdouts. In other words, the “mother of all experiments” may be losing steam.

Apple is threatening to level disciplinary action against workers who fail to come into the office for three-fifths of the working week,
https://fortune.com/2023/03/24/remot...-tim-cook/amp/

Last edited by EV NXT : 27th March 2023 at 08:16.
EV NXT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 15:36   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
What he says is right that these will not work in the court, but all your ex employer needs to do is send you a legal notice to make you shit in your pants through their corporate lawyer.
Though this route is not taken usually, it is a tough road ahead once ex-employer decides to hunt. Few years back we hired a junior resource from a shoddy company which is black listed by many other companies. We went ahead with the hire since the resource was found to be very good. This guy after working for a few months kind of absconded telling he met with an accident and is not able to return to work. We all knew that was a lie, but we decided to let it go. Then he referred his friend from the same company to the position. Since it was hard to find people on this particular skillset, we took him in.

Now after 2 months this guy also absconded and came back telling he is affected with jaundice and is not able to come to work. He was most probably inspired by his friends experience and thought the company is going to leave his incident too. We were really pissed with how these guys cheated us and initiated HR action and they started sending him legal notices via registered post. He got scared and called me for help; I was not interested in helping the guy and asked him to deal with it himself and that I am not involved in any of the HR/legal team. I didn't follow up on the incident, but he had a hard time dealing with it.
d.w.w. is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 18:02   #1071
BANNED

Tricks of the trade..

Quote:
Shady placement services use code embedded in the CV to signal to unscrupulous HR folk they’re in cahoots with inside the recruiting company that a certain candidate has been sent by them.
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...nfia7dczebe4qg
EV NXT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 18:14   #1072
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV NXT View Post
Tricks of the trade..
It's quite blatant sometimes. While hiring for our team at one company I worked for, I was astonished by the candidates that HR was sending. Consistently didn't meet even the bare minimum requirements, the interview was a waste of time for both parties. I got a rep as a 'strict' interviewer, when in reality all we were looking for was the bare minimum ability to do the job. HR even arranged for a meeting between me and the placement agency to 'fine-tune the process'. It was a thinly-veiled attempt by the placement guy to ask me to overlook some parameters. By that time, I had already some years of experience and also was established in that company, plus I was reporting to a US manager, so I couldn't be coerced.

But that piqued my curiosity, so I did some digging on LinkedIn. Turns out our head of HR (at the company back then) was previously employed by that same recruiting agency...and their spouse was...still working there!

And these are the kind of guys who preach about ethics to employees about things like moonlighting, and lay people off!

(PS: I have nothing against HR folk in general, I have family members who work in HR and some of the stories they tell me abut corporate recruitment, involving senior directors at even brand-name IT companies, are even scarier!)

Last edited by am1m : 27th March 2023 at 18:34.
am1m is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 21:11   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Notice period is legally enforceable - the courts take the view that it is completely paid with full perks, so not a huge disadvantage to an employee to be held captive. If you skip it, at most the courts will award damages to the tune of the notice period pay. As for the rest, he is absolutely correct, non-compete and non-solicitation clauses are not worth the paper they're typed out on, with the exception of some highly sensitive trade secrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
I hope youngsters don’t take his word too seriously on notice period and non-compete clause and actually challenge their ex employer on their own.

What he says is right that these will not work in the court, but all your ex employer needs to do is send you a legal notice to make you shit in your pants through their corporate lawyer. This route can only be taken where your new employer is willing and committed to fight it out for you both legally and financially and you’re absolutely sure they will stand by you till the end.
Get a lawyer to draft a reply to it, adding IPC 503 (criminal intimidation) to the reply and informing them that you will file an FIR naming the manager as well as the CEO and head of HR. If you want to be particularly bloody-minded, do it in a small town far away. Then watch how they soil their own trousers. Just because companies abuse the law doesn't mean they should be allowed to get away with it.

Last edited by v1p3r : 27th March 2023 at 21:13.
v1p3r is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 21:50   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
They are just using a new trick, but this practice has been around for years. When I was working for a UK Bank, no referrals were getting calls for interviews and only external profiles from agencies were coming for interviews. A friend referred someone for an open position in the team and since there were no updates, he went to the senior manager and asked for an update. The manager had no idea of this referral and after some digging around they found the HR was holding up all these and favoring profiles from a particular recruitment agency. It was then decided that any referral should be sent directly to managers and not to HR. Manager will then involve HR just for scheduling the interviews.

People think there is no corruption in IT companies, but where ever external vendors are getting paid for services(cafeteria/food/procurement/recruiting) there is corruption.
d.w.w. is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 22:11   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
So, no, I wouldn't sound the alarm bells as of now
It is indeed a bad situation.
Old 28th March 2023, 06:11   #1076
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.w.w. View Post
People think there is no corruption in IT companies, but where ever external vendors are getting paid for services(cafeteria/food/procurement/recruiting) there is corruption.
Recruitment is just the entry level as far as scams within the corporate world go (pun unintended).

A lot of recruits through this route are usually outsourced as Contractors to other companies so that the parent company doesn’t have to suffer them. Forget about best practices or project management or even coding, these guys cannot string together a full sentence to convey their intentions. A very thick MTI worsens matters.

There was an Indian Project Manager working for a US company based in the US who took over from the US guy who met with an unfortunate accident. The guy wanted 10% of the billing to be paid into his personal account to continue outsourcing the contract. The company agreed to pay the commissions and the contract continued.

And then there are the services required by companies - Management consulting, Legal, Architectural, Interiors, Furnishing - some service providers hint that they are willing to provide a percentage of their billing to secure the contract. And some of these service providers are very competent otherwise but need to resort to this probably because competence alone doesn’t help ?

Yes, there is corruption at every level where money changes hands. Procurement, Project outsourcing, Business contracts going all the way upto crony capitalism.

And you wonder if meritocracy has become such a bad word.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th March 2023 at 10:56. Reason: As requested
EV NXT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 07:04   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recruitment is just the entry level as far as scams within the corporate world go (pun unintended).
And you wonder if meritocracy has become such a bad word.
I recall an ex-facility guy from a reputed company saying that even if we get a scrap contract we can make lakhs of money. Many members who would have dealt with Facilities and Procurement team would have experienced favouritism towards a particular vendor by the sourcing team.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th March 2023 at 19:13. Reason: Company name hidden
deehunk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 07:57   #1078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Many members who would have dealt with Facilities and Procurement team would have experienced favorism towards a particular vendor by Sourcing team.
Sometimes it is political. In order to keep the local corporator/MLA happy, you have to award certain contracts like cafeteria, housekeeping to their people. Otherwise they can create constant trouble.
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 09:41   #1079
BHPian

Folks, can you please stay on course in this thread.
Discussion on corrupt practices in IT industry / any other industry can be discussed elsewhere (if forum rules permits it).
srvm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 11:17   #1080
BHPian

Disney announced layoff plans. Staff in India might be affected. There is a sizable employee head count in Disney+ working in IT in India.

https://bestmediainfo.com/2023/03/di...-april-reports
no_fear is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks