Astrology 62 29.25%
Numerology 15 7.08%
Tarot 8 3.77%
None. 146 68.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2008, 14:09   #46
BHPian

I don't believe in none of this and thinks this is one of the reasons world is such a spoiled place.

What all people do in name of same.Did u read 2 brothers killed there sister in name of some "homa"
Can call them educated? Science now know most of things and still we wear one silver tavis and roam around for protections from evil..
Give me a break ....!..
Old 6th May 2008, 15:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

None. I would prefer chilling out with the Beer anyday!
Old 6th May 2008, 16:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

I dont believe in these but in my opinion astrology is a science by itself where every thing has a precise meaning. But unfortunately, many people exploit this science for personal gains keeping some others @ bay with their predictions,premonitions etc.
Old 6th May 2008, 16:44   #49
BHPian

I'd really hesitate to call any of these subjects "science". Perhaps pseudo-science at best. Having precise terminology doesn't really have much to do with it. The main characteristics of the scientific method are:

1. making objective, empirical observations
2. proposing hypotheses to explain those observations
3. testing those hypotheses in valid and reliable ways

Frankly I am yet to see any branch of astrology / numerology / any other fortune-telling methodology that complies with even one of these principles.

Last edited by ajitkommini : 6th May 2008 at 16:45. Reason: unwanted HTML tags inserted
Old 7th May 2008, 11:08   #50
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Disclaimer:

Iam speaking about astrology only. not about pamistry, tarrot , numerology

Iam not an expert in astrology. i know very little that too generic in nature

In astrology there two broad schools of thought : Indian and western or Lunar based and sun based

Indian system follows Moon. so we have 27 stars with each one having 4 pada's. all these 27 stars are grouped in to 12 rasi's which surprisingly have same nomenclature as that of Zodiac signs.

So in a month all the 12 rasi's will be there.

where as in western system based on sun, there 12 zodiac sings and each sing lasts for one month. so persons born with a month period have same zodiac sign.

Lunar based one can give more accurate readings about an individual than zodiac system

I have friend & colleague who is reasonably good in Indian system. we used to discuss many things, astrology was one of them. with my interaction with him and after seeing the things practically, i can say that there is indeed some basis for the astrology. it can be used to predict many things with reasonable accuracy. one among them is personality. with more than 90% accuracy one can say about the personality of other guy. we tested it so many times

But the accuracy of Lunar system depends upon Time of birth , place and date. some times small changes in time of birth leads to error which is not fault of the system but it is an input error

In indian system there is a concept of Lagna. this is very good indicator of personality.. Lagna depends upon time of birth. this is different from Birth star and rasi/zodiac sign. most of predictions we see in papers are based on zodiac which is a generalization
Old 7th May 2008, 11:42   #51
BANNED

Why is that fate of humans on earth depend on the planetary position of either Sun or Moon?

What is the basis for this? Where is the proof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
In astrology there two broad schools of thought : Indian and western or Lunar based and sun based
Old 7th May 2008, 12:21   #52
BHPian

Wikipedia says:

"Astrology is a group of systems, traditions, and beliefs in which knowledge of the apparent relative positions of celestial bodies and related details is held to be useful in understanding, interpreting, and organizing information about personality, human affairs, and other terrestrial matters."

We all know that tides are created by the attraction between the Earth and the Moon. I feel it's definitely possible that the alignment, relative positions of thousands of celestial bodies and many other events occuring in outer space may be governing our thoughts, moods which in turn shape our lives. But even scientists haven't been able to figure out the "hows" and "whys". So I don't expect the next door baba to know what the future has in store for me. Astronomy is an interesting science, and Astrology's been far too exaggerated.

If someone tells me, "This planet is moving to this spot on the 6th, so on the 7th you'll find a pot of gold at latitude: 41° 46' North longitude: 50° 14' West", I'll hail him as Nostradamus cheers: (if I do find it)
Old 7th May 2008, 13:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Why is that fate of humans on earth depend on the planetary position of either Sun or Moon?
I think I can answer that (having lived in under developed villages). Position of Sun or Moon or planets has very high correlation with weather. And in such places weather pretty much decides fate.

Read on to find out why this is relevant.

There are two things here:

1. Astronomy
2. Astrology

Telling someone's "fate" involves two steps:

1. Astronomy -- Preparing the Kundli
2. Astrology -- Forcasting person's wealth/love etc based on interpretation of Kundli.

#1 is science #2 is pure FUD (IMHO)

Kundli is simply a "map" of sky on a given time and place. If a particular planet is in a particular "grah" in Kundli, it just means if you look up in sky being in that place and time that planet will be visible in a particular location in sky.

And this part (Astronomy) is repeatable and anyone can test its accuracy (which is not 100%, but close).

If you prepare it for any given lat/long for tonight and observe sky at that place in night, you can verify that planet positions predicted by Kundli will be close to actual positions you observe.

Now, if we go back to 200 years. There were no satellites to observe clouds and predict rains based on that.

Kundli was the ONLY way available that had high correlation with timing of rains.

So getting a muhurt out of kundli was the only way a farmer could decide when to start anything related to crops.

My hypothesis is, people saw it was a great way to make money and started pretending that Kundli can predict a person's future as well.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 7th May 2008 at 13:19.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:46   #54
BHPian

Nope I don't believe in any of this and I'm so glad I'm like this.
Old 7th May 2008, 17:14   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
gopz, it is infact Vaitheeshwaran Koil as they call it. The place comes in between Chidambaram and Sirikali. I shall check my travelogue to see if I can find the route I took.
Nadi Astrology is available in Chennai many places and in Tambaram.Vaitheeshwaran is the headoffice for all this. I've personally tried this for few people and the past information is 100 % accurate and it's the most amazing type of astrology I've seen.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st May 2012 at 09:52.
Old 8th May 2008, 01:54   #56
BHPian

what i want to say not all predictions will come true... the only reason why people goto astrologers is that they want to know how their future is and how good/bad it will be and will he/she be successful.......but nadi is very accurate again not every one can get their manuscripts .......i want to give some examples, when my mom tried this they were spot on with everything my moms name , dads everyone in my family and my mom is the third child of four and he got that right too ........my granny was worried about about my cousin as he was not getting good marriage proposals so they consulted nadi they said he will get married only after he reaches 30 and you will find the girls within 2 hours journey form you place and he had predicted he will get married within April 08....all this was asked in October 07 and guess what the exact same thing happened we found a wonderful girl in mysore which in 2 hours from Bangalore and the marriage was on 18 feb ......but the most tragic event which was predicted in my moms thing was that she would both her parents before she turns 50 she is 47 and she lost her mother a month ago and they had also said that there wont be much difference if she loses either one of them if one departs the other will follow soon ......i feel like throwing the recorded tape which they give she listens to it and weeps whether she fill lose her father also and i feel helpless..

so guys what i am telling is dont believe this half-heartedly or else you will have sleep less nights

so if you want to visit this place is is located near shankar mutt , opposite to RNR kalyana mantapa

Last edited by chetan : 8th May 2008 at 01:59.
Old 8th May 2008, 10:14   #57
BHPian

I have also done this Naadi Shastra thing in Secunderabad and found it to be true to large extent. This was 8 yrs back and I have has time to check the predictions but the future is only 70% accurate. The Naadi expert was a Tamilian. He spoke in Tamil and was translated in hindi by a translater and the whole thing was recorded in a audio cassette which is still with me. After consulting the manuscript he just started rattling out whatever he could SEE. In the end we asked some questions through translater.
Old 9th May 2008, 01:55   #58
BANNED

Appears like a fair conclusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Now, if we go back to 200 years. There were no satellites to observe clouds and predict rains based on that.

Kundli was the ONLY way available that had high correlation with timing of rains.

So getting a muhurt out of kundli was the only way a farmer could decide when to start anything related to crops.

My hypothesis is, people saw it was a great way to make money and started pretending that Kundli can predict a person's future as well.
Old 9th May 2008, 02:02   #59
BHPian

I'm a total believer in all 3! My forecast says it's on the cards that my starry days are numbered!
Old 14th May 2008, 11:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

Once uoon a time it was known as Amby Valley. Now, its Aamby Valley City

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks