76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2014, 14:25   #2716
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Unless you provide some information which helps SEBI trace and identify you, I don't think you will be in trouble.

The other thing is, how does someone prove that alpha1 said something which caused tremendous loss/ profit to someone and hence alpha1 should be arrested?

Does SEBI have so many resources to go after 'small fish'?

@alpha1: Please do not take this personally.
Key thing in bold. There is no way to do so. At least for this thread.
What I post here is about what I do. There is absolutely no recommendation of any sorts.
Tomorrow Govt of India will also ban blogs where people chronicle their lives?
Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Hi Vindy,

It is really sad that we can't discuss stocks using this wonderful forum.

There has been wonderful overlap and excellent discussions but all of it comes to an end.

Happy investing

Cheers
I believe we shouldn't even be bothered.

Last edited by alpha1 : 2nd December 2014 at 14:29.
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:07   #2717
BHPian

We are neither Research Analyst nor we recommend someone strongly to buy/sell any script. It is just a knowledge sharing session.

Yes, I bought this stock, I felt after reading the Financials that this company would do good. So I bought it or vice versa. Thats it!!!! We are just doing this and nothing more. There should be no legal barrier to carry on what we were doing.

I really don't understand in which way this circular will make sense, because an Analyst is just recommending a Stock and not doing any PMS service to an Investor. It is left to the Investor to do his own research and employ his money in it.

So people keep the good work going until something really stops!!
Old 4th December 2014, 21:41   #2718
BHPian

I think SEBI is overdoing things in the name of safeguarding investors from influences. People here discuss their own opinions and in no way advertise or suggest any script or influence someone to buy. It's like intervening the freedom of speech. We can discuss anything until and unless it harms somebody.

P.S. I fear someday SIAM or something like it will come up and say no auto related discussions ( read suggestion) will be allowed in public.
Old 7th December 2014, 15:42   #2719
BHPian

Just thought of sharing this, as feel it is apt for the time!
Attached Thumbnails
Do you play the stock market-b4lxixyiyaa2nh6.jpg  

Old 7th December 2014, 23:52   #2720
Distinguished - BHPian

Read this on another esteemed blog.
Quote:
now it is learned that all existing Research Analysts have six months time to comply with the norms from December 1 , ie, upto 29th May 2015.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th December 2014 at 23:53.
Old 15th December 2014, 15:39   #2721
J.Ravi

Today, I indulged in day-trading for the first time in my life; bought OIL for ₹ 532 in the forenoon and sold it for ₹ 536 just a few seconds before the market closed, both the transactions being in NSE. I have OIL already in my portfolio since many years.

Old 15th December 2014, 15:41   #2722
BANNED

Maybe the markets are now stabilising. Let us see.
Old 15th December 2014, 17:22   #2723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Maybe the markets are now stabilising. Let us see.
I hope so, the oil plunge although might look good at the petrol pump for us, but has killed many a economies and that is the main reason for this freefall. I hope it stabilizes at this level otherwise we could see nifty at 7950.

Would someone explain to me, why is BPCL and HPCL going down ? They are the HIGHEST beneficiaries of the crude oil slump.
Old 15th December 2014, 18:55   #2724
BHPian

A kid from Queens, USA has made tens of millions of dollars — by trading stocks on his lunch breaks at Stuyvesant High School, New York magazine reports in its Monday issue.
Mohammed Islam is only 17 and still months away from graduating — but worth a rumoured $US72 million ($A87.43 million).

Source: http://www.news.com.au/finance/money...-1227156052753
Old 16th December 2014, 12:39   #2725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
A kid from Queens, USA has made tens of millions of dollars — by trading stocks on his lunch breaks at Stuyvesant High School, New York magazine reports in its Monday issue.
Mohammed Islam is only 17 and still months away from graduating — but worth a rumoured $US72 million ($A87.43 million).

Source: http://www.news.com.au/finance/money...-1227156052753
Another case of sensational journalism.
Anyone making that much money by trading will have to be neck deep in the activity 24 hours a day.
Especially since gold crude and currency markets are on throughout the day.
Old 17th December 2014, 05:54   #2726
BHPian

Investor whiz kid is a fake story.
link.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102271434

Vijai Mohan, head of Hyphen Partners LP

Please do a Google search on this gentleman.
I read of him tracking CAD.
http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/4688245
Old 21st December 2014, 10:49   #2727
BHPian

Just finished reading the book "The Little Book that beats the Market". The author of the book is Joel Greenblatt who has a MBA degree from Wharton School, is the founder of Gotham Capital (the fund has given good returns in the past) and is a professor at Columbia Business School.

I would definately recommend everyone to read this book which is less than 200 pages in length. The language of the book is extremely simple and easy to understand. The author describes his "Magic Formula" for getting good returns in stock market. His investment philosophy focuses on 2 factors - Return on Capital and Earnings Yield. In simple terms, it means buying good businesses at cheap prices. I know most of the people here already know that hence this book is just a reiteration of those principles.

From reading the book, I realized that I needed to brush up my skills on analyzing Balance Sheet (things like Working Capital, Capital employed etc).

Last edited by Saanil : 21st December 2014 at 10:52.
Old 21st December 2014, 11:16   #2728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Just finished reading the book "The Little Book that beats the Market".I would definately recommend everyone to read this book which is less than 200 pages in length.
From reading the book, I realized that I needed to brush up my skills on analyzing Balance Sheet (things like Working Capital, Capital employed etc).
Thanks for the suggesting a good book. Also, let us know if you find a good book which helps in understanding balance sheet, cash flow and working capital in simple, layman language.
Old 26th December 2014, 17:31   #2729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
I have my stock trading a/c with ICICI Securities - they charge 0.5% brokerage for each buy / sell transaction. Look forward to inputs on other online stock brokers with lower brokerage which are equally good.
Geojit BNP Paribas charge. 3 %

You can get a 3 in 1 account from Federal Bank. They have a tie up with Geojit
Old 26th December 2014, 19:29   #2730
BHPian

Am fairly bullish on infrastructure (roads, bridges, ports, building) companies, at this point of time. Reasons are
1. Govt's focus on infra is likely to come through in the next few months & years
2. With the current PM and the roads/transport minister - both of whom have excellent credentials for getting things done - orders are likely to flow in for companies
3. NHAI has already announced tender process for nearly Rs 5000 crore of road projects, which will be awarded by March 2015

My top picks are companies with a proven track record of profitability even in bad years, decent managements, low debt on their books & with reasonable valuations.

They are :
1. J Kumar Infra - good, Mumbai-based company - roads, bridges etc in Mum-Pune belt
2. MBL Infra - East based company, solid track record of profitable growth
3. KNR Constructions - Hyd based company, excellent record with execution of road projects

I believe the next 2-3 months leading upto the budget should see these companies appreciating 20-25% while over the next 3-4 years, one should see them appreciating multi-fold.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks