26 - 50% -- I have a few stocks. 550 44.79%
51 - 75% -- I'm an active trader. 201 16.37%
76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2017, 10:29   #3466
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

I did invest in Gold ETFs earlier. Their NAVs though transparent does not seem to move with actual gold prices, is what I feel. To me it looked arbitrary.

I came out of it and put my money in GOI Sovereign Gold Bonds. From ICICIDirect they are easy to transact. I haven't sold any yet neither did I buy from secondary market, but I think it liquidity should not be an issue.

For physical gold,
PayTM gold is a good option. They have tied up with MMTC-PAMP. Prices are reasonable and it comes certified. If you have safe deposit locker, these are a good option.

Bangalore Refinery is another option, they sell directly as well as through online portals.

Goldrushonline.in is another option, is the web interface of MMTC.

The sight and feel of a pure gold coin/bar can be exhilarating.

At the same time, I wanted to know how good is an investment in physical silver? Silver prices move up and down very much. Is it a safe bet as of now? People having knowledge in these please share.
Old 11th January 2017, 14:59   #3467
Senior - BHPian

Finally took the plunge and now in the process of having my demat account opened with Zerodha. My dad has been persuading me, for the better part of this decade to do this. And like many of us here, I wanted to start with investments in the Auto sector, something I know better. But initial analysis tells me that a company's stack value, is not linked to its sales performance directly. How and from where should I begin?
Old 11th January 2017, 15:03   #3468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
But initial analysis tells me that a company's stack value, is not linked to its sales performance directly. How and from where should I begin?
I'd say that a week to read through 'The Intelligent Investor' by Benjamin Graham and then begin. You will also get a clear answer to your initial analysis mentioned described above.

Last edited by rrsteer : 11th January 2017 at 15:04.
Old 11th January 2017, 19:50   #3469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
But initial analysis tells me that a company's stack value, is not linked to its sales performance directly. How and from where should I begin?
That's not entirely true. Sales and margin determine profitability of what the Company and that's where everything boils down to. But there are limited listed automobile makers in India. You'll have to diversify by considering auto component makers, oil based companies etc to actually make the time spent on researching the market worthwhile.
Old 21st January 2017, 14:37   #3470
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Any BHPians investing in the BSE IPO? Opinions?

Thanks.
Old 21st January 2017, 15:00   #3471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any BHPians investing in the BSE IPO? Opinions?
A picture is worth a thousand words -

Name:  BSEMktShae600x439.png
Views: 1081
Size:  62.6 KB

That is all there is to know. But if you want to read thousand words, check this out - gives you an idea about BSE's revenue sources

http://capitalmind.in/2017/01/would-...hange-bse-ipo/

But, at a particular price, I would be willing to invest in BSE, especially since they have started innovating and not just following the leader (NSE). After all, BSE has a HUGE amount of goodwill because of emotional reasons. Everybody wants the exchange to "do well". A good analogy would be Tata Motors - falling market share but tremendous goodwill and interesting new product pipeline.

Let it list, let the price discovery happen, let them come out with FY17 results, let them declare dividend (a gauge of management confidence) and then we'll see.

Last edited by SmartCat : 21st January 2017 at 15:11.
Old 21st January 2017, 18:31   #3472
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any BHPians investing in the BSE IPO?
I have decided to apply for BSE IPO on 23/01/2017. I will not miss NSE IPO too, whenever it opens.

Old 21st January 2017, 23:08   #3473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words -
Always look forward to your posts! Couldn't agree more!

On the other hand, if they innovate being an underdog now, things could change for the better! Time will tell!
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:16   #3474
BHPian

I am also applying for BSE IPO , my expectation is that it should list around Rs 900 or so.
I am looking at short term, depending upon the movement will take a call on the long term.
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:05   #3475
Distinguished - BHPian

Applied for BSE IPO to test waters. However, I applied only for one lot, ie 18 shares.
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:42   #3476
BHPian

One lot is the way to go, because it is going to be oversubscribed. Even if you go for higher lots, by lottery only one lot is allotted to the lucky ones.
Old 23rd January 2017, 11:54   #3477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

On the other hand, if they innovate being an underdog now, things could change for the better! Time will tell!
Right. That's the only way to go forward because unlike other businesses, stock exchanges cannot recover market share by cutting prices. Most investors and traders won't even know how much they are paying the exchanges for each trade - it is such a tiny percentage of trade value.

BSE will be able to atleast keep revenues more or less steady even with falling market share - because Indian capital markets trade volumes go only one way - UP - in the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
One lot is the way to go, because it is going to be oversubscribed. Even if you go for higher lots, by lottery only one lot is allotted to the lucky ones.
That's why I don't like investing in IPOs. You only get a fraction of shares you apply for.
Old 23rd January 2017, 14:05   #3478
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I have decided to apply for BSE IPO on 23/01/2017.
Just a few minutes back, I submitted my bid for 36 shares at cut-off price of ₹ 806 under ASBA through my Axis Bank saving account; keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 23rd January 2017 at 14:14.

Old 23rd January 2017, 14:14   #3479
BHPian

You can apply till 25th, I don't see a reason why retail investors have to rush.
Let's wait for the subscription numbers today and tomorrow, and then take a call on 25th.
Old 23rd January 2017, 23:01   #3480
Senior - BHPian

I have placed the bid for two lots = 36 shares of BSE IPO. Earlier I was lucky with Syngene, IndiGo, Ujjivan and Mahanagar Gas IPOs, where I made decent profit within a short time.

Looks like 50% already subscribed on first day as per news

Quote:
NEW DELHI: The Rs 1,241 crore initial public offering (IPO) of domestic stock exchange BSE received 51 per cent bids by close of Day 1 of the bidding process.

By 5 pm, the first IPO of calendar 2017 had receive bids for 54.30 lakh shares out of 1.07 crore shares on the block. Heavy demand was seen from retail individual investors (RII), who lapped up 86 per cent of the quota limit for the category on the first day. Non-institutional investors (NIIs), which include high net-worth individuals (HNIs), subscribed to 12 per cent of their quota limit.

Last edited by airbus : 23rd January 2017 at 23:08. Reason: Added news link.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks