76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2016, 17:28   #3451
BHPian

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
No issues with that. I use ICICIDirect for long term investing and Zerodha for trading in F&O segment.
Even I follow the same approach. I initially opened the Demat account with Zerodha because of low brokerage charges for trading. However it is good for investment too. I now have my shares portfolio in both ICICI Direct and Zerodha with a 50:50 split.
The major problem with ICICI Direct is the high brokerage charge. I recently bought 20 shares of Ambuja Cements at 210. For the total amount of Rs 4200, the brokerage was almost Rs 40.
Old 20th December 2016, 11:28   #3452
J.Ravi

Added 50 BAJAJ-AUTO @ ₹ 2,588 just a few minutes ago.

Old 20th December 2016, 11:48   #3453
BHPian

Glad to come by this thread! And its good to see few members with accounts in Zerodha.
Has anyone bought the recent gold bonds from SEBI? If so, any insights as to what would be the ideal holding period?
Old 20th December 2016, 13:12   #3454
J.Ravi

Added another lot of 50 BAJAJ-AUTO @ ₹ 2,578 just a few minutes ago.

Old 20th December 2016, 13:48   #3455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Have you added for a short term trade? I was thinking that Dec-quarter numbers will be very bad (as evident from the November figures of 2 wheelers) so maybe I will get a better price for buying for long term. I have been interested in buying into this one but the price has moved up a lot (ignore the demonetization impact) and does not come down
Old 20th December 2016, 13:55   #3456
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Have you added for a short term trade?
No. My investments are for long term. I have been holding BAJAJ-AUTO shares since 2009. If the price goes down further, I will add more.

Old 20th December 2016, 14:31   #3457
BHPian

Added 20 units of D-Link India today. This scrip has shown good performance in the recent past. Planning to accumulate more of this on further dips.
Old 21st December 2016, 09:48   #3458
J.Ravi

Quote:
Added 50 BAJAJ-AUTO @ ₹ 2,588 just a few minutes ago.
Quote:
BAJAJ-AUTO will be bullish by the next year, IMO. I have been following this scrip since a few weeks. Many times, my buy orders were unsuccessful. So, when the price got corrected, I took a plunge and invested the surplus money I had due to selling of some stocks in the past.

Old 25th December 2016, 10:34   #3459
BHPian

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/56160784.cms - If it really happens in the budget, won't this have a big effect on all our equity investments?

Seeing how rules about PFs and Equity markets get discussed or changed every year, its becoming tricky to plan your long term savings. I am starting to make the assumption that all tax exemptions on saving instruments are going to disappear at sometime in the future. So for any long term investment of 10+ years, I am asking myself whether its still worth investing even without the tax exemption !
Old 25th December 2016, 19:06   #3460
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by partha379 View Post
If it really happens in the budget, won't this have a big effect on all our equity investments?
Jaitley says PM's statement was misinterpreted. No long term cap gains on equity investments.
https://twitter.com/cnbctv18live/sta...92559152824320
Old 25th December 2016, 21:04   #3461
BHPian

Quote:
Seeing how rules about PFs and Equity markets get discussed or changed every year, its becoming tricky to plan your long term savings.
Equity markets, there has been NO change and I'm certainly unaware of any discussion on Capital Gains or STT over the past few years. What exactly are you referring to?

PF, on the other hand, the incumbent government has gone back and forth a few times and they have made their intent clear -- they do not want to be in the business of providing retirement savings. They want returns to be market linked, i.e., to be linked to equity and bonds.
Old 25th December 2016, 22:18   #3462
BHPian

My post might have come out not clearly, I had talked about discussions and changes. Wrt equity markets for eg a change wrt dividend income taxation. Eventhough it applies for greater than 10L (I would love to be in that position, hopefully using tips shared in this thread :-)), that was one change.

Regarding the discussions, there has been many articles written by people outside the govt about derivatives and commodities market needing to be "regularized" and even capital gains taxes. For eg I read a local journal here which carries a lot of articles written by Gurumurthy (CA/Journalist) and he writes about many issues including these. The talk by PM touched a lot of areas and some of it was similar to what he has been writing. I am a layman when it comes to markets (no derivatives) so pardon me if equity markets and these markets are totally different from that point of view.

Wrt todays news and media misquoting, I first suspected this as MSM really has a habit of doing this. But the speech did have a statement that a normal person like me would consider as capital gains taxes, and here is the tweet from PMO

https://twitter.com/PMOIndia/status/812564852052889600

"Those who profit from financial markets must make a fair contribution to nation-building through taxes"

I am starting to wonder whether this is a conscious ploy from govt to elicit views. The thing is that when a PM makes a statement in a forum which is not a political meeting, every word is scrutinized. Markets react to news and statements, they don't even wait for any action. Given that, one would hope for a more disciplined and careful choice of language used right?

Wrt PF, I am perfectly fine with the approach of having market based returns. Its just that they should do it for only for my future investments. The issue I have is that the previous money was taken with the promise that returns are tax exempt, so they shouldn't go and touch that. I wanted to invest in PF even if it meant lesser returns than market because of some promises, otherwise I would have preferred to do that in Mutual funds or any other market linked instrument in the first place - thats all. Maybe a scheme where they allow us to take that money or get our permission to move that money to a market linked instrument is fine for me.

And no, this is not a critique of the current govt and I am not qualified to even comment on whether some schemes are right/wrong. Its just that I would love the current dispensation to be more careful about atleast communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Equity markets, there has been NO change and I'm certainly unaware of any discussion on Capital Gains or STT over the past few years. What exactly are you referring to?

PF, on the other hand, the incumbent government has gone back and forth a few times and they have made their intent clear -- they do not want to be in the business of providing retirement savings. They want returns to be market linked, i.e., to be linked to equity and bonds.

Last edited by partha379 : 25th December 2016 at 22:20. Reason: Correcting language.
Old 26th December 2016, 00:20   #3463
BHPian

Quote:
My post might have come out not clearly.
More than you, I think the PM's tweet hasn't come out clearly. Let's see where this goes over the next few days. Nowadays people are extra-sensitive to murmurs from the government as they never anticipated demonetization, such vague statements from the government will only lead to rumor-mongering.
Old 30th December 2016, 17:24   #3464
BHPian

Need some help with Gold ETFs. Could anyone please explain how this actually works?

Since purchasing the units is similar to purchasing the share of any company, is there a possibility that there may be no buyers when I'm trying to sell it? (this usually happens with penny stocks where there are no buyers when we are trying to sell it).
Old 30th December 2016, 19:47   #3465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion_blore View Post
Need some help with Gold ETFs. Could anyone please explain how this actually works?

Since purchasing the units is similar to purchasing the share of any company, is there a possibility that there may be no buyers when I'm trying to sell it? (this usually happens with penny stocks where there are no buyers when we are trying to sell it).
Depends on the ETF, most AMCs who have floated ETFs seem to have tied up with market-makers who provide reciprocating buy/sell transactions up to a certain volume.

To clarify on the last part which isn't really applicable to most retail investors -- So long as you don't unload a large number of units, you will not face a problem. However do bear in mind that ETF transactions do not work the same way as stocks where you can buy/sell shares within a second or two of placing a market order, in case of ETFs it may take hours. When I invested in GoldBEES many years ago, I had no problem buying or selling my units.

Seriously though in the case of gold, why would you invest in an ETF? Based on what I have read but never applied, GoI Gold Bonds are superior as they are backed by the government and they even provide nominal interest (which is ZERO or Negative after expenses in the case of a Gold ETF). Also I thought GoI Gold Bonds are tradeable in the market though I am not sure of its liquidity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks