76 - 100% -- Hey, I'm an i-banker!!! 81 6.60%
Voters: 1228. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2017, 17:37   #3571
J.Ravi

Re: Do you play the stock market

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Today, I booked partial profit in SKFINDIA by selling 10 @ ₹ 1,550, 10 @ ₹ 1,570 and 10 more @ ₹ 1,579.20. I bought these shares in 2006 at an average price of ₹ 305.25. I still have 70 more shares, which I would sell in the coming days.
Today, I sold another lot of 10 SKFINDIA @ ₹ 1,610 at 3:05 pm.

Old 25th April 2017, 18:23   #3572
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
Hi all, I am facing a peculiar problem in calculating returns of a particular investment. So calling all investors/mathematicians here to help me out. I will try to explain the issue with an example below.
wow, this is making my head spin.

Am I right in assuming that you want to buy Castor Oil in the spot market and short Castor oil futures? And make a spread of Rs. 35? And you want to calculate the returns?

Rs. 35 (spread) divided by Rs. 3904 (spot price) = 0.9% in a month (expiry). Annualized returns would only be (0.9 x 12) = 11% per annum right?

If I didn't understand the question, see if you can rephrase it.
Old 26th April 2017, 12:53   #3573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
wow, this is making my head spin.

Am I right in assuming that you want to buy Castor Oil in the spot market and short Castor oil futures? And make a spread of Rs. 35? And you want to calculate the returns?

Rs. 35 (spread) divided by Rs. 3904 (spot price) = 0.9% in a month (expiry). Annualized returns would only be (0.9 x 12) = 11% per annum right?

If I didn't understand the question, see if you can rephrase it.
You understood it correct. but we deal in seed actually not oil. We actually deliver the commodity in the exchange after lifting it from spot. As for returns, what you said is right if it was that simple. As explained, sometimes the deposit of commodity by the supplier gets delayed beyond the expiry of the contract and we have to rollover the positions to next contract, of course making additional profit. The problem is if it was one deal it would be easy to acertain the returns. However, as is shown in excel sheet we club together many deals and rollover them in a go. So ascertaining the actual returns for a deal when the deposit gets delayed beyond the actual expiry is getting tricky.

And the deals in the sheet attached are only a very small part not even 0.5%. So imagine the trouble when we have so many deals.

Note In the sheet attached EDD is the date on which supplier promised to deposit the stock while ADD is the date on which he actually deposited. While calculating returns for a deal and deciding whether to go ahead or not we take the EDD. But when the deposit gets delayed the returns boomerang. And when the deposit is beyond expiry date it is becoming difficult to calculate returns in excel because the formula used calculates the number of days of investment from the date of partial payment till expiry. In cases where the deposit is beyond expiry excel is simply taking the period of investment in negative. I somehow need to address this issue.

PS: The row marked in pinkish colour is rollover transaction.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 26th April 2017 at 12:55. Reason: Additional info
Old 28th April 2017, 07:45   #3574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
What is the processing time for icici direct to open an account? They told me it was gonna take 2 weeks. Does it really take 2 weeks to open a demat and a trading account?
My demat and trading account with ICICI is now open.

Is there a good website to research on stock and shares? Similar to value research or morning star but for shares and stocks?
Old 28th April 2017, 07:57   #3575
BHPian

Quote:

Is there a good website to research on stock and shares? Similar to value research or morning star but for shares and stocks?
You can try screener.in very good website to do analysis purely based on numbers.
Old 28th April 2017, 10:27   #3576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My demat and trading account with ICICI is now open.

May be this'll help. https://forum.valuepickr.com/
Old 28th April 2017, 13:10   #3577
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I would strongly recommend www.marketsmojo.com for beginner investors. The website uses algorithms to analyze stocks and gives you easy to understand recommendations.

Note that valueresearchonline.com can be used to analyze shares too. Example: https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...ign=vro-search
Old 28th April 2017, 20:03   #3578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
You can try screener.in very good website to do analysis purely based on numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
May be this'll help. https://forum.valuepickr.com/
Quote:
I would strongly recommend www.marketsmojo.com for beginner investors. The website uses algorithms to analyze stocks and gives you easy to understand recommendations.

Note that valueresearchonline.com can be used to analyze shares too. Example: https://www.valueresearchonline.com/...ign=vro-search
Thank you all. All very good resources. Markertsmojo is especially superb and easy to understand.
Old 29th April 2017, 14:09   #3579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
recently, South Indian Bank has been moving well and was in the medium term recommendations list,
whats the outlook on this stock?
I am positive on the stock. I had bought it at 28, 3 years back and got stuck with the stock. Then came the NPA write offs which pulled the stock further downwards. But now everything seems to be set for a good rally. The stock is very cheaply priced. The fundamentals are good. Even after rights issue the price never got corrected too much.

However this stock should be considered for a long term say for 5-7 years where you can make around 15-18% pa.
Old 29th April 2017, 19:52   #3580
BHPian

I have doubt here. Can someone help?

This is about Sarda plywood.

The stock price is as below:

Apr 2014 - 15/-
Apr 2015 - 34/-
April 2016 - 50/-
April 2017 - 213/-

I have read through the financials. The company is making a loss and the figure stands at PBIT is (8.45 Cr).

Management discussion report states - SWOT analysis as below:

OPPORTUNITIES & THREATS
Opportunities:

• Government initiatives towards building Smart cities across India
• Government initiative for reviving the infrastructure & Housing Industry by way of increasing the government funding
in infrastructure products.
• Increase in demand for premium housing and commercial space
• Increasing urbanization
• Tax benefits on housing loans

Threats
• Increase in cost of Timber and related items globally
• Low operational efficiency in Indian plywood industry leads to low profitability
• Increase in labour costs
• Stringent regulatory norms on protection of environment
• Forex Risk

All the above factors just seem to be more theoretical and not actually possible!

Promoters hold only 47%. MF and institutional investors hold very very minimal shareholding. Most of the public holdings is the resident individuals.

EPS is (12.70) FY 2015-16 vs (1.09) in FY 2014-15.

Almost everything seems to be negative for this company but how is the stock price increasing tremendously!

Also one of the Value investor seems to be increasing his stake in this counter.

Are we missing anything in terms of fundamental valuation? Or its just the market sentiment that is just inflating the value of the stock?

Willing to learn more about this. Please share your thoughts and knowledge..
Old 29th April 2017, 21:54   #3581
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I have doubt here. Can someone help? This is about Sarda plywood. Almost everything seems to be negative for this company but how is the stock price increasing tremendously! Also one of the Value investor seems to be increasing his stake in this counter. Are we missing anything in terms of fundamental valuation? Or its just the market sentiment that is just inflating the value of the stock? Willing to learn more about this. Please share your thoughts and knowledge..
Not quite sure why you say "ALMOST" everything is negative about this company. Can you point out any positives?

Looks like a classic pump and dump stock. Porinju or some other "value investor" picks up a small company. And no, they are not the bad guys. These guys actually found value in this company when its market cap was Rs. 10 crores two years back.

Then the 'operators' pile on whenever they notice a big name invested in a micro-cap stock. Moving such a micro-cap stock is very easy for somebody who has access to funds (multiple players). It starts going up, retail investors buy in and then all the operators exit at a profit. Those retail investors are left holding the stock at high price.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:18   #3582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just begun using Marketsmojo and its awesome. Even though I'm a tad unhappy about the fact that the algorithm identifies fast growing cos as being expensive on the valuation front, but the simple one view of your stocks is quite easy to use. Its great to give me a 360 degree view on my holdings. Thanks for recommending this great site.
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:35   #3583
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Just begun using Marketsmojo and its awesome. Even though I'm a tad unhappy about the fact that the algorithm identifies fast growing cos as being expensive on the valuation front, but the simple one view of your stocks is quite easy to use. Its great to give me a 360 degree view on my holdings. Thanks for recommending this great site.
I already sent them feedback that their valuation metric is crappy. You do that too. They responded saying "Our algo compares its current P/E ratio with its historical P/E ratio" (or something like that).

That really doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:47   #3584
BHPian

Guys gear up for HUDCO IPO which is coming next week. Retail is being given a discount of Rs 2/-
Old 3rd May 2017, 00:48   #3585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Quote:
I already sent them feedback that their valuation metric is crappy. You do that too. They responded saying "Our algo compares its current P/E ratio with its historical P/E ratio" (or something like that).

That really doesn't make any sense to me.
Thanks for confirming. I had a similar feeling but was not sure as I was new to the whole thing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks